Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Jamal Lewis A Brown

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Jamal Lewis A Brown

Unread postby swerb » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:59 pm

swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby sandlot33 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:22 pm

looks like we draft Quinn
HerrliBomb
sandlot33

Unread postby furls » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:28 pm

I think it is a good signing. Will Droughns be here in 2 weeks?
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby Dozen » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:37 pm

sandlot33 wrote:looks like we draft Quinn

I dont think so, I have heard PS say on many occasions that Cleveland doesnt need a QB to throw the ball here in December 40 times a game. This is simply a trade off with Droughns. There is no way they are gonna keep him. Joe Thomas and AP are going to be the selection unless they trade down.
http://www.thesportshole.com

http://www.youtube.com/TheSportsHole

I have never seen so many kok heads all lumped together like that ~ Yhimmie
Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Favorite Player: my son
Least Favorite Player: venomous/bipolar

Unread postby sandlot33 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:45 pm

I hope so
HerrliBomb
sandlot33

Unread postby HoodooMan » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:47 pm

What could we possibly be hoping for out of this one-year deal? That our '07 QB & OL play will provide a support system so superior to what JL's had in Baltimore the past two seasons that we'll be able to reverse his trend into the shitter (3.4 & 3.6 YPA the past two years)?

I can't imagine he's coming cheaper than Droughns (if this does indeed mean RD's bonus isn't picked up next week) so that probably doesn't explain it.

Droughns character issues last offseason? No, no, I don't suppose that's it either...

So what's the fucking point? Just more fun to have around at the post-loss parties, or what?
HoodooMan
The King

Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Unread postby FUDU » Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:11 pm

Is it possible we plan on keeping and using them both?

IIRC JL is still young, as in a few years away from the dreadful RB age of 30 in which most drop off the planet.

Neither are 100% as we speak or as healthy and spry as a few years ago but both together could produce a power running game the likes we have not seen in over a decade.

Both have off the field issues, how important either will be this season is most likely a non issue itself.

This is one I think we have to wait and see on.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby mistero » Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:17 pm

The point is he was an elite back who has lost a step. Droughns was a plodder who was never elite at anything.

We get a real RB at age 27 with a 1 year deal who has a last chance to kick ass and net that last pay day. I usually poo poo old Phil but this move is brilliant.

Compared to Droughns?? That cat is so 87. Go to Richmond. Go to Jefferson. We don't want you to play anymore in our reindeer games.
In Chud We Trust
mistero

Favorite Player: Miller High Life
Least Favorite Player: Natural Light

Unread postby swerb » Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:19 pm

I don't see the harm here. It's a one year deal, and at the worst, 8 Ball will be paired with either Reuben or APete.

And I definitely pay Reuben his 1.75 mill next week, regardless of who the team wants at #3 in the draft. Man ... you can never enough backs.

If I'm Phil, I keep Reuben, and still think about drafting a back on day one. Think about it ... Reuben and Jamal, in a best case scenario, one is back in ;08. Reuben will turn 30 heading into that season, Jamal 29.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby HoodooMan » Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:27 pm

Here's the harm: JL doesn't sign here, for a one-year deal, without some assurance that he's The Guy. You don't earn a fat contract by splitting carries with Reuben Droughns, and you sure as hell don't do so by watching Adrian run "All Day" from the bench.

We can forget Adrian Peterson. There's your harm.

(probably no causal relationship--Phil isn't passing on A-D/P because he signed JL; he's signed JL because he plans on passing on A-D/P--but it still signals what's next, and what's next sucks)
HoodooMan
The King

Unread postby swerb » Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:35 pm

Here's the harm: JL doesn't sign here, for a one-year deal, without some assurance that he's The Guy. You don't earn a fat contract by splitting carries with Reuben Droughns, and you sure as hell don't do so by watching Adrian run "All Day" from the bench.

I can't see that. Either Droughns is back or APete is drafted. And theres no way they promised 8 Ball 30 totes a game

I mean, come on, he signed a one year deal. We don't know the guaranteed $$ yet, but if how much bargaining power do you have if you can't get more than one year.

We can forget Adrian Peterson. There's your harm.

(probably no causal relationship--Phil isn't passing on A-D/P because he signed JL; he's signed JL because he plans on passing on A-D/P--but it still signals what's next, and what's next sucks)

I think you hit the nail on the head.

I don't think there's any chance that Savage was leaning Peterson, and now isn't because of this signing.

Maybe he's set on taking Brady Quinn. Maybe Joe Thomas. Maybe, like me, he really likes the caliber of RB that will be there at the top of the 2nd and 3rd rounds. Most likely Quinn, and I'm personally fine with that decision.

Any way you slice it ... I agree, I don't think this signing affected in any way who the Browns are going to draft.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby sandlot33 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:39 pm

I think this signing shows that savage was very impressed with Quinn and what he's capable of in the NFL
HerrliBomb
sandlot33

Unread postby HoodooMan » Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:48 pm

I mean, come on, he signed a one year deal. We don't know the guaranteed $$ yet, but if how much bargaining power do you have if you can't get more than one year.

JL likely got what he wanted--less money now in exchange for the opportunity for significantly more in the near future. So, I'd say--enough bargaining power to get what he wanted.

He's sucked the past couple years, but he hasn't sucked so badly that he couldn't at least make the roster of a team with a shot at competing in '07. But he chose us. The perennial loser. The only way that makes sense is if he gets to be The Man on the perennial loser.
HoodooMan
The King

Unread postby pup » Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:55 pm

I don't care why he signed here, I care why we signed him. We are a better football team with him in the backfield. He is better than Ruben Droughns. Not even that close.

About taking Peterson, I think this means nothing. Rookie running backs should not be expected to come in here and carry a full load. They come in, get spotted in good situations and learn the game at the NFL level.

2 years ago, Ronnie Browns and Caddy Williams took the brunt of the carries for the Phins/Bucs. Last year, both struggled. If 2008 is the legit target for this team, with 2007 being the year to become competative, then A-Pete can come in, learn and be ready to be the workhorse.

My guess would be they pick up RD's bonus, and if Peterson is the pick, they move Ruben for a late round pick on draft day.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby swerb » Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:57 pm

HoodooMan wrote:I mean, come on, he signed a one year deal. We don't know the guaranteed $$ yet, but if how much bargaining power do you have if you can't get more than one year.

JL likely got what he wanted--less money now in exchange for the opportunity for significantly more in the near future. So, I'd say--enough bargaining power to get what he wanted.

He's sucked the past couple years, but he hasn't sucked so badly that he couldn't at least make the roster of a team with a shot at competing in '07. But he chose us. The perennial loser. The only way that makes sense is if he gets to be The Man on the perennial loser.

For that to be the case, the team would have to cut Reuben and not draft APete. I can't see that happening.

Reuben can still run. If its him and 8 Ball as the two guys, Reubens gonna see at least 10 carries a game.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby consigliere » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:01 am

Rack BK man.

I'm down with all dat.

The only reason 8Ball agreed to come here is because he was guaranteed to be the man here. And, he is using a one year deal to get a fat contract next offseason.

So, yes, say good-bye to A Pete and Droughns.

It is Joe Thomas or Quinn on draft day, and I'd put the odds heavily on Quinn now. Everything appears to be aligning for the Browns to take Quinn.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby leadpipe » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:07 am

Pup wrote:I don't care why he signed here, I care why we signed him. We are a better football team with him in the backfield. He is better than Ruben Droughns. Not even that close.

About taking Peterson, I think this means nothing. Rookie running backs should not be expected to come in here and carry a full load. They come in, get spotted in good situations and learn the game at the NFL level.

2 years ago, Ronnie Browns and Caddy Williams took the brunt of the carries for the Phins/Bucs. Last year, both struggled. If 2008 is the legit target for this team, with 2007 being the year to become competative, then A-Pete can come in, learn and be ready to be the workhorse.

My guess would be they pick up RD's bonus, and if Peterson is the pick, they move Ruben for a late round pick on draft day.

It actually is pretty close. The guy ran for 3.4 a carry last year, with a team that was supposed to be a running team and certainly didn't have the same porous offensive line. Droughns is certainly no world beater, but put him behind the two most unathletic guards in the league and see what happens. Again, since he's been in the joint he's had two poor years. An NFL running back with his wear and tear bouncing back to form after multiple bad seasons, well, that doesn't happen too often.

It isn't a big deal really, the contract looks good for the Browns, but it also really isn't a big deal he's here.

20 carries for Lewis a game, 20 carries for Droughns a game, or 10 split between the two of em' and you'll get very similiar results. I also think Droughns intangilbly is better (receiving, blitz pick-up)
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby swerb » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:37 am

Consigliere wrote:The only reason 8Ball agreed to come here is because he was guaranteed to be the man here. And, he is using a one year deal to get a fat contract next offseason.

I just cannot see that happening. Under any scenario.

The NFL has become a league where it's very trendy to split your 35 carries a Sunday between two, or in even some cases, three guys. The Browns are on record as wanting to get there as well.

No way in hell they dump Reuben AND pass on APete. I'd be shocked. Regardless of what they told 8 Ball to get him to sign on the dotted.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Wolfy » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:58 am

John Wolf wrote:My point was that they are leaning towards drafting Peterson who has been injury prone his entire stay at Oklahoma. Why not go get the "best" player in the draft and worry about other issues through free agency where you can target specific needs and have a better feel for the player and his abilities. I am not big on Lewis either but it sure beats him running for 1-2 hundy on us every year. We already have the Ruben and mixing him with a Jammal Lewis wouldn’t look to bad in the fourth quarter either. Plus, nothing is a given for the Browns. Draft picks no matter how high or low have not been so good (Wimbley is nice though). I too am tired of the veteran’s such as McGinest, who come in and “mentor” other player’s. It just seems as though they are collecting paychecks before the sunny beaches and margaritas start flowing. McGinest is slow, creaky and uninspired but was a beast in his prime with the Pats. Porter smells of the same stank. He is in the same mold as McGinest even worse. What, so he can come here and play uninspired football for the team and player he hates most (KW2) while getting paid a kings ransom?…Naaaa, I’ll pass on him too. Take the best player on the board! Calvin Johnson is rated #1...TAKE HIM! We don’t need Joe Horn or McCardell we already have them on our roster his name is Joe but I'm talking about the homer not the Horn.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm. I are smart!

This was a reply to the Joe Horn topic but It shows I have a pulse on this team. Hahahahahaha. Pipe was talking how he doesn’t want old vet's to come in here and be lazy like McGinest (which I never made a reference to?) and got racked??? By JB and Consigliere. I was just wondering if I could get some love for this brilliant foreshadow of events? I would just like them to take the BEST PLAYER AVIALABLE!!!!! That's all :lol:
Wolfy

Unread postby Dozen » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:09 am

Swerb wrote:
Consigliere wrote:The only reason 8Ball agreed to come here is because he was guaranteed to be the man here. And, he is using a one year deal to get a fat contract next offseason.

I just cannot see that happening. Under any scenario.

The NFL has become a league where it's very trendy to split your 35 carries a Sunday between two, or in even some cases, three guys. The Browns are on record as wanting to get there as well.

No way in hell they dump Reuben AND pass on APete. I'd be shocked. Regardless of what they told 8 Ball to get him to sign on the dotted.

Rack Swerb, If you honestly think they would pass up APete just cuzz they signed Lewis.........well you may be suprised come draft day. PS just doesnt put that much value on a QB, He's said it before.

Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Unread postby HoodooMan » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:14 am

The only young RBs that are coddled this way are the guys who are perceived as too small to carry a full load. Unless he sucks, your high 1st round RB carries the load from day one. Whether you think that should be the case or not is irrelevant; it's the way it works.
HoodooMan
The King

Unread postby HoodooMan » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:18 am

It actually is pretty close. The guy ran for 3.4 a carry last year, with a team that was supposed to be a running team and certainly didn't have the same porous offensive line.

And you forgot the part where he had a QB who wasn't a 2nd year rookie and could keep 8 out of the box.
HoodooMan
The King

Unread postby yogi » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:29 am

You guys forgot the other real possibility....

We move up to get Russell. Maybe Phil has a thrill for Jamar.

I think this signing by itself means nothing about which direction we'll go. If we pick up Droughns next week we can still trade the guy on draft day, if we release Ruben, we can also read the tea leaves to say Lewis is now healthy and will be given the ball. Either way doesn't slam dunk any decision about AP.

BUT, from many sources we are hearing that the Browns are very worried about their QB situation.
yogi
Jersey Accent

Unread postby pup » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:20 am

The only young RBs that are coddled this way are the guys who are perceived as too small to carry a full load. Unless he sucks, your high 1st round RB carries the load from day one. Whether you think that should be the case or not is irrelevant; it's the way it works.

Lawrence Moroney
Joseph Addai
Reggie Bush
Cedric Benson
Steven Jackson
Larry Johnson

Those are first round running backs who were not workhorses in year 1.

LT
Ronni Brown (less effective in year 2)
Caddy Williams (banged up and ineffective year 2)

They were workhorses.

The NFL is a copycat league, and the new trend to copy is young RB's get worked into the lineup. If the choice is Peterson, he will not get the bulk of the carries this year, unless an injury to someone else leaves them no choice.

Taking that out of the equation, you get back to Jamall V Droughns. Is one better than the other? You can debate it if you want, but one of the guys has the 2nd best season ever, the other does not. One of the guys has won a Super Bowl, the other has not.

If I concede that they are the identical backs (which is best case for Ruben), and Lewis is cheaper this year, and it does not change their plans about their 1st round pick, please point me to a negative.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby pup » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:25 am

Consigliere wrote:Rack BK man.

I'm down with all dat.

The only reason 8Ball agreed to come here is because he was guaranteed to be the man here. And, he is using a one year deal to get a fat contract next offseason.

It is Joe Thomas or Quinn on draft day, and I'd put the odds heavily on Quinn now. Everything appears to be aligning for the Browns to take Quinn.

If it was Trot Nixon signing with the Tribe, you would call it brilliant.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby Guest » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:26 am

Any chance Droughns goes back to FB?
What is T Smith's contract staus?

Look's like I might have to be a Quinn fan now. Damnit.

Unread postby Wolfy » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:31 am

We have two fullbacks locked up allready...Rack Pup...Dude is on point!
Wolfy

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:17 am

I fall into the camp of liking this deal. Lewis is motivated to perform for one last big payday and, regardless of his past few year's performances, it takes away a guy who usually runs roughshod over us.

I don't see the signing precluding us from drafting AP. If anything it does make us look like we're going for Quinn, which may be exactly how we want things to look if we want to trade down. If we have the good fortune of having Quinn, AP, and Calvin Johnson available at the #3 spot then a bidding war for the pick may ensue, especially if peple behind us feel we're hot on certain guys.

I believe Peterson is the pick unless Savage finds a trade down he likes. He's likely hoping that CJ is there and that the Bucs panic and hand over something good in return for a swap. I like GBN's (I think) projection of TB giving us the Colts' 2nd rounder they got for Booger McFarland and their third rounder for the swap.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby Guest » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:00 pm

I heard 3.5 mill and up to 5 mill with incentives.

Unread postby pup » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:04 pm

Does anyone know Ruben's salary number this year?

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby Dozen » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:19 pm

I know his bonus was 1.75 mil and I believe his base is 4 million.

Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Unread postby furls » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:34 pm

Here is my question?

Where do you think the Browns are going to finish next year and where do you think that will have them drafting?

I personally think that next year they are looking 500ish at best yielding a pick in the middle of the first round. Next years backs are far superior to this years. There are several guys in next years draft that I would rather have at 15 than AP at 3 and with the depth of the position in the draft next year, they should still be there unless we end up with another year like 2005.

This is one of the worst RB drafts in recent memory and you are going to "overpay" for any RB you draft. It makes more sense to me to put a bandaid on RB for this year and look long tearm next year.

The signing is a good one IMO.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby Wolfy » Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:17 pm

Yes, Pup Droughns salary is $1.25 mil with the roster bonus at $1.75 milion and they signed Lewis to a $2.5 mil with a bonus of $1 million and Lewis turned down the Ravens offer of $2 mil.
Wolfy

Unread postby consigliere » Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:02 pm

Pup wrote:
Consigliere wrote:Rack BK man.

I'm down with all dat.

If it was Trot Nixon signing with the Tribe, you would call it brilliant.

I must be missing something, but where did I diss the Lewis signing? Felt he came here to be the man that's all. He should be a good stop-gap for one year....if this were baseball this would be a carbon copy of the typical Shapiro signing. Looks like it might be A Pete with the 1st pick or someone in the 2nd round to share carries with Jamal (66-33% split).
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL