Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

So are they done?

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

So are they done?

Unread postby pup » Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:26 am

Is the fraa agency period over for the Browns? Is Eric Steinbach the only starter a 4 win team could manage to locate? Shapiro, er, Savage said they would only sign 2 or 3 guys, but I thought all would be starting material.

What is left? Is the McKinney signing in our future?
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby Dozen » Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:37 am

I still think they will add a QB in FA even if they plan on drafting one. Joey Harrington will prolly be a Brown :x :mad: :-x
http://www.thesportshole.com

http://www.youtube.com/TheSportsHole

I have never seen so many kok heads all lumped together like that ~ Yhimmie
Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Favorite Player: my son
Least Favorite Player: venomous/bipolar

Unread postby consigliere » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:21 pm

Long way to go in FA still.

Although, I thought we would have had at least one more starter signed by now.

Who are the top guys left?
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby mistero » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:53 pm

The big problem is we have money with no one to spend it on.
Seems like teams had plenty of cap to re-up their own guys. Not too many good guys escaped their original teams.

Chris Brown...Joe Horn...some nondescript o linemen. Not much out there.
In Chud We Trust
mistero

Favorite Player: Miller High Life
Least Favorite Player: Natural Light

Unread postby consigliere » Tue Mar 06, 2007 8:04 pm

Ah, isn't it go good to be a Browns fan? All kinds of money and nothing to spend it on. :mrgreen:

Hmmm....maybe you look the trade route then. I'm sure there are teams trying to dump some guys because of their contracts that we could absorb. And, if you really wanted to be bold, you could trade Braylon as someone (JB?) suggested and we can absorb that ridiculous cap hit for trading him.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby wmurphyhh » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:25 pm

The big problem is we have money with no one to spend it on.

What should we do ? Sign middle tier players for big money since we have it ? Wow...sounds like my wife, "I know I have 85 purses in my closet, but I had a hundred bucks left from my paycheck. What was I supposed to do ?"

I think they'll be able to sign a couple of more middle tier players. McKinney or Mahan will be decent replacements for Coleman or Andruzzi or Tucker. All depends on where Steinbach plays.

Yeah, we had money. Yet, there weren't a lot of players available this year. Hell, Northcutt and Coleman were in Prisco's Top 50 free agents. That's definitely a stretch.

The trend this year was the top available players signed big money deals with the 1st team they visited. Only one guy out of Clements, Diehlman, Steinbach, and Thomas didn't sign with the first team he visited. And he went back to block for LT.

Remember Danny Ferry and the money the Cavs had a few years ago ? At least we got the greatest shooter in the world out of that deal...
wmurphyhh
"Murph"

Favorite Player: Joe Haden
Least Favorite Player: Chris Johnson

Unread postby HoodooMan » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:44 pm

Shapiro, er, Savage said they would only sign 2 or 3 guys, but I thought all would be starting material.

Since it seems he went into FA with the willingness to overpay for Nate Clements--by a lot--I think that was a reasonable expectation. The 49ers F'd up the plan, is all.

Sidenote: something I realized the other day is that Dwight Freeney, maybe the premiere young defensive player in the league (he's at least in pretty exclusive company), is of course still without a longterm deal in Indy. He doesn't have the benefit of the open market, but if you're Freeney's agent, after the deal Nate-Prolly Not Even a Top 10 NFL CB-Clements just signed, WTF is your asking price? It has to be in the $100mil+ range, doesn't it? With, what, a $30mil signing bonus?
HoodooMan
The King

Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Unread postby jb » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:18 am

Consigliere wrote:Long way to go in FA still.

Dude, you just said a mouthful.

This is going to be a FA offseason in the League like none other we've seen. The para-dig-'em has changed drastically.

Huge cap space.

Saavy teams keeping the really top shelf players.

Role players asking power ball prices.

This is fascinating.

I expect to see this thing stall and play out well after the draft. Those who don't fill their holes in the draft are going to be paying helijack for relative mediocrity.

Bow... errrr Hoo Doo's point re: Freeney is well taken. He could hit retarded ceiling. The only caveta I have is that he's a Tampa 2 system DE where as N8 can play in just about any scheme. Not as well , but he plausibly command more suiters.

Anyway, I'm really intrigued by what I'm seeing now.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby pup » Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:49 am

Hmmm....maybe you look the trade route then

With what they took to run Thomas Jones out of town, might we get on the horn with Da Bears and see what their intention are with Lance Briggs?

something I realized the other day is that Dwight Freeney, maybe the premiere young defensive player in the league (he's at least in pretty exclusive company)

Maybe I am missing something with Freeney, but pass rushing defensive ends, with little to no running game responsibilities are not what I consider premier. The big defensvie contracts went to a versatile lineacker that plays the run and the pass and a corner who can lock down a receiver and supports the run D quite well. If someone makes Freeney the highest paid defensive player in football, I think they would be making a huge mistake.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby HoodooMan » Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:37 pm

Maybe I am missing something with Freeney, but pass rushing defensive ends, with little to no running game responsibilities are not what I consider premier.

If you consider a LT a premiere offensive player, I don't know how you can call a franchise LT-killer like Freeney anything but "premiere." It's his job to negate the 2nd highest paid (and therefore valuable?) position in the league on his way to disrupting/smashing/knocking-the-F-out the highest paid (certainly the most valuable) position in the league.

Brian Urlacher might be the only defensive player in the league with more value. Champ Bailey belongs in the discussion. But outside of them, I don't know who else compares to Freeney in his prime. An aging Derrick Brooks? A block-gobbler like Hampton, Williams, or Seymour? I don't see it.
HoodooMan
The King

Unread postby pup » Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:59 pm

If you consider a LT a premiere offensive player, I don't know how you can call a franchise LT-killer like Freeney anything but "premiere."

Doesn't he usually line up over the right tackle?

I went and broke out Freeney's number a little bit. He averages a little over 2 tackles a game for his career. He gets a little under a sack a game. His turf/grass splits are quite alarming (34.5 on turf, 14.5 on grass before 2007). He is coming off a 30 tackles 5.5 sack season.

Defensive players I take over him today, without even thinking really?
Urlacher, Ed Reed, Champ, Peppers, Merrimen, Jason Taylor, DeMarcus Ware. Is he good? Sure, but extremely one dimensional and not even close to what I would consider the best young defensive player in the game.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby HoodooMan » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:08 pm

Doesn't he usually line up over the right tackle?

You must have him mistaken for your boy, Peppers. ;)

His turf/grass splits are quite alarming

Not sure what counts as turf and what doesn't these days, but how alarming can they be when he plays at least 9 turf games a year in Indy & Houston? And last year, for example, he also played at least three more on field turf against both NY teams & DAL (don't know if those factor into your splits or not).

He is coming off a 30 tackles 5.5 sack season.

OK, so he had a down year. But is there a better pass-rushing RDE in football? My answer is no.
HoodooMan
The King

Unread postby pup » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:54 pm

Not sure what counts as turf and what doesn't these days, but how alarming can they be when he plays at least 9 turf games a year in Indy & Houston? And last year, for example, he also played at least three more on field turf against both NY teams & DAL (don't know if those factor into your splits or not).

My splits were his 8 home games, plus the Houston game.

OK, so he had a down year. But is there a better pass-rushing RDE in football? My answer is no

Depends on the system you are running, but that is even besides my point. My point is being versatile (for defensive players) is what gets you to be the highest paid player, and he is not. I just can't see someone paying him $80+ million for 12 sacks and 30 tackles.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby Wolfy » Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:29 pm

ED REED IS A PIMP!
Wolfy

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL