Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Mother Tucker: "I feel great, man."

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Mother Tucker: "I feel great, man."

Unread postby swerb » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:31 am

http://blog.cleveland.com/sports/2007/0 ... lay_t.html

Browns Tucker says he'll play this year
Posted by Mary Kay Cabot March 03, 2007 20:49PM

Browns right tackle Ryan Tucker, speaking publicly for the first time since leaving the Browns in November with a mental disorder, said Saturday he's in great shape emotionally and physically and plans to return to his starting role with the Browns in 2007.

"I feel great, man," Tucker said during a public appearance at the new Gold's Gym in Westlake. "It's a whole new chapter in my life and I'm ready to get on with it. I absolutely plan on coming back and starting for the Browns this season."

Tucker, who left the team twice because of an undisclosed mental illness, declined to be specific about his disorder, but said everything has been rectified.

"A lot of things have changed as far as medications and things like that, and I haven't had any problems," he said. "Everything's been fixed. My family's doing really well, my health is excellent and I feel as good as I ever have."

Tucker said he'll tell his story someday and hopes he can help others who suffer from similar issues, "but right now I'd rather not get into the details. I'm just thankful."

He said he needed time to deal with his illness, described by Browns team physician Anthony Miniaci as something "commonly experienced by the general population as well as by professional athletes."

"It's life," said Tucker, who looked fit and happy. "Everybody falls sometimes. You've just got to get back up and get back to work. Everything was on that thin line and it was right there, and I couldn't do anything about it. What happened to me I couldn't help."

He said he attributes his recovery, in part, to the love and support he received.

"It was a horrible experience having to go through all that, but the care and the level of support was awesome. Thanks to everybody's help, I'm back on track and I'm rolling."

He said his family, friends and everyone in the Browns' organization were there for him. He singled out Browns owner Randy Lerner, his coaches and teammates.

"Everybody had my back," he said.

Tucker, heading into his 11th season, said he started working out before the Super Bowl and is as fit as ever.

"My body's in great shape and I'm really excited to come back and play," he said. "I'm more grateful than ever and really looking forward to this season."

New offensive line coach Steve Marshall said he's met with Tucker and expects him to begin working out in the Browns' off-season program this week.

"Ryan has been in and working very hard," Marshall said. "We expect him to come in and be a big part of the offense. I'm excited about Ryan."
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby jb » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:37 am

Fol me once, shame on you.

Fool me twice, shame on me.

Give him a front office job or soemthing.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby swerb » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:45 am

JB wrote:Fol me once, shame on you.

I hear ya man ... How can you argue though if he agrees to come to camp to fight for a backup spot at RG/RT?

Tucker had a couple good years here for us. Hes been here, still has enough size, power, skill to be viable at RG, or even at RT if they put a servicable RG next to him for the first time in his career.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby consigliere » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:47 am

WTF was wrong with Mother Cuckoo last year? Did he go postal on someone? Was he depressed? Did he try to commit suicide?
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby Dozen » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:51 am

Liken it to Casey Blake of '05...................... :mrgreen:
http://www.thesportshole.com

http://www.youtube.com/TheSportsHole

I have never seen so many kok heads all lumped together like that ~ Yhimmie
Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Favorite Player: my son
Least Favorite Player: venomous/bipolar

Unread postby consigliere » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:52 am

Dozen wrote:Liken it to Casey Blake of '05...................... :mrgreen:

Divorce? Separating from a long-time girlfriend and took it pretty hard?
consigliere

Unread postby Dozen » Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:55 am

Im pretty sure it was a messy divorce, still no reason to leave your job IMO.......... If it happen to us, I dont think my work would give 2 shits........they would replace me, not wait

Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Unread postby consigliere » Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:00 am

I don't see how it could be a messy separation either.

Had to be something serious to leave the team like that.
consigliere

Unread postby Dozen » Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:03 am

It must be hard cashing those checks, I heard the word bipolar as well..................but anyone who goes to a shrink can get labeled bipolar, its more of an excuse than anything else............man up and do your job.

Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Unread postby jb » Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:24 am

Swerb wrote:
JB wrote:Fol me once, shame on you.

I hear ya man ... How can you argue though if he agrees to come to camp to fight for a backup spot at RG/RT?

If we cut a kid with upside.

Remember our impatience w/ Ralph Tamm?

The guy's an 11 year vet, knees are completely shot, he didn't play well in 05 & was beat by every speed rusher there was, and he's proven to be unreliable because he's got mental health problems after a documented history of criminal violence.

It isn't 2003 anymore. Move on.

I mean, I hope he's not the next Mike Webster and has a good life, but we can easily do better rather than waiting and hoping.
Last edited by jb on Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
jb

Unread postby jb » Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:25 am

Dozen wrote:Im pretty sure it was a messy divorce, still no reason to leave your job IMO.......... If it happen to us, I dont think my work would give 2 shits........they would replace me, not wait

U know or guessin?

Divorce papers are public.

I wasa thinking pain meds addiction.
jb

Unread postby Dozen » Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:30 am

Just speculation that I had read on other boards at the time. He went back to Cali, so I dont know if anything was public or not. If it were pain meds, I can understand to a degree. I was in a pretty good wreck last year and I bareley recall may-july :lol: , and I did go through withdrawls after. It was very very tough.

Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Unread postby jfiling » Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:06 pm

Dozen wrote:It must be hard cashing those checks, I heard the word bipolar as well..................but anyone who goes to a shrink can get labeled bipolar, its more of an excuse than anything else............man up and do your job.

Dude, that's a level of ignorance I expect to see at the Watercooler. Trust me, bipolar disorder is real and a bitch to live with if not treated properly.
jfiling
Old School Writer

Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Unread postby Dozen » Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:13 pm

jfiling wrote:
Dozen wrote:It must be hard cashing those checks, I heard the word bipolar as well..................but anyone who goes to a shrink can get labeled bipolar, its more of an excuse than anything else............man up and do your job.

Dude, that's a level of ignorance I expect to see at the Watercooler. Trust me, bipolar disorder is real and a bitch to live with if not treated properly.

Not knocking bipolar, just saying ALOT of people are suddenly bipolar........... I know some people who are using it as an excuse.

Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Unread postby wmurphyhh » Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:42 pm

Everyone has things to deal with in life. Tucker is lucky that the Browns are giving him another shot. It's one thing to take a leave of absence and deal with things. Z left the Cavs to take care of his family. He came back when he was ready. Having children, my heart goes out to him. I also respect the fact that he did what he had to do and came back ready to work.

The thing that bothers me is Tucker's relapse at half time during one of the games. Yeah, he's been a solid player up to last year for us. Bring him back and give him a shot. But don't count on him. If he recovers and earns a starting spot, then our team benefits. I think he go could go a long way in adding needed depth.

I think McKinney would be a good fit at one of the guard spots. He also provides insurance for Fraley. Tucker would be a great backup at both right side spots and can help the younger players.
wmurphyhh
"Murph"

Favorite Player: Joe Haden
Least Favorite Player: Chris Johnson

Unread postby yogi » Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:04 pm

jfiling wrote:
Dozen wrote:
It must be hard cashing those checks, I heard the word bipolar as well..................but anyone who goes to a shrink can get labeled bipolar, its more of an excuse than anything else............man up and do your job.

Not knocking bipolar, just saying ALOT of people are suddenly bipolar........... I know some people who are using it as an excuse.

Guys, bipolar is rough. I have to live with this awful disease. (Not me, but a member of my family) The medication, once you find the right combo, works for a while but then the body gets used to the medication and its not as effective. Its always adjusting and balancing.

Tucker may feel great now, and may feel great when the season starts, Or not. Let him come compete and win the job, I'd just have a capable back-up ready to go.
yogi
Jersey Accent

Unread postby jb » Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:59 pm

yogi wrote:
jfiling wrote:
Dozen wrote:

Guys, bipolar is rough. I have to live with this awful disease. (Not me, but a member of my family) The medication, once you find the right combo, works for a while but then the body gets used to the medication and its not as effective. Its always adjusting and balancing.

Tucker may feel great now, and may feel great when the season starts, Or not. Let him come compete and win the job, I'd just have a capable back-up ready to go.

Yogs, you nailed it w/ that last sentance.

Look, I'm not dissing Ryan because he's allegedly bi-polar, and again, no one knows what his deal really is becasue he's afraid to talk about it, but you simply can't depend on the guy. He's an 11 year vet with shitty knees. Why have him take up a roster sopt? Why not invest and solve the problem permanenetly rather than trying to limp by with the guy? If they think so highly of him, just give him a FO job or some shit.
jb

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL