Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Joey Porter

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Joey Porter

Unread postby swerb » Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:05 pm

Schlereth just reports on ESPN ... visits lined up with Cincinnati, Miami, and Cleveland.

Porter had a shit year last year, he turns 30 in a couple weeks. Hes gonna command hellijack. Do we want this guy?

A quick perusing of some Inbred forums reveals the following ...

http://forums.scout.com/mb.aspx?S=68&F= ... 8079&FIX=1

Matt Williamson, formerly a scout for the Cleveland Browns, breaks down video of Steelers games each week for ESPN's Scouts Inc. He says Porter still is good in coverage and fairly stout against the run. But Porter can no longer get to the quarterback, unless he's facing a mediocre tackle or racing through a lane created by Dick LeBeau's elaborate defensive schemes.

"I think he's declined noticeably," Williamson said. "I think he benefits from the scheme, but he also understands it so well that he takes full advantage of it.

"And while he made plays, he made them against inferior players. He's not that blind-side, off-the-edge, dynamic guy they need in that defense. He was, at one point."

Yeah, like as recently as the stretch run two years ago, when he salvaged an otherwise mediocre campaign with a late-season surge.

Last season, Porter's main achievement was posing for the most ridiculous Sports Illustrated cover on record -- the one that pictured him next to the headline: "Most Feared Man in the NFL."

I asked Williamson if he could find the most recent video clip of Porter beating a high-quality tackle. He might as well have tried to find the Loch Ness Monster.

"It certainly wasn't in the Super Bowl," Williamson said. "(Seattle tackle) Walter Jones abused him.

"Even against the Colts (in the AFC Divisional playoffs two years ago), it was more scheme than him beating a guy off the edge. I can't quote a date, that's for sure

Other comments I read suggest his knees are shot, he lost his fire after the SB win, he sucks in pass coverage, and that his sacks (down from prev year) came all in 3 games, and he no showed the other 13.

Thoughts?
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Dozen » Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:08 pm

They said Earl Holmes was done also. I'm down if he doesnt command top dollar. But I think Id like that kid from Houston and maybe add some DL's.
http://www.thesportshole.com

http://www.youtube.com/TheSportsHole

I have never seen so many kok heads all lumped together like that ~ Yhimmie
Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Favorite Player: my son
Least Favorite Player: venomous/bipolar

Unread postby Guest » Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:16 pm

I agree with Dozen, no need to overpay him. I'm assuming the price tag will be too high.

Unread postby jb » Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:42 pm

Dozen wrote:They said Earl Holmes was done also. I'm down if he doesnt command top dollar. But I think Id like that kid from Houston and maybe add some DL's.

On an emotional level, no.

I respected Holmes when he played against us.

Porter is a POS.

I can't root for that cocksucker.

On an intellectual level? Didn't we just do Willie McGinnest? Why repeat the same damn mistake?
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL