Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Browns contact Joe Horn

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Browns contact Joe Horn

Unread postby consigliere » Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:32 am

http://www.ffmastermind.com/quickbits.php

I actually would be interested in bringing in one of Horn or McCardell. THink they would be a nice fit.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Re: Browns contact Joe Horn

Unread postby jb » Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:50 am

Consigliere wrote:http://www.ffmastermind.com/quickbits.php

I actually would be interested in bringing in one of Horn or McCardell. THink they would be a nice fit.

I'll bite - why?

JJ = McCardell and who is gonna sit for Horn?

Was Travis Wilson that much of a throwaway pick?

Yah know, the 9ers have shottheir wad and A Thomas is still hangin' arond, no?

http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/adamschein?All=1
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby swerb » Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:15 am

I think if you're the Browns, you have to remember that Braylon's knee was cut on about 14 months ago, and also that Travis Wilson and Josh Cribbs have shown you little to nothing as WR's that says you can count on them.

Jurevicius, who hopefully can stay healthier this year, should be your possession guy.

Still, the Browns need to add another viable WR IMO.

McCardell may not be a fit. The Joe Horn of 2004 clearly would be. But it that guy just a figment of our imagination now?

Three guys I like as high upside guys, but all are RFAs ...

~Former Buckeye Drew Carter
~Former Savage draft pick in Crackmore Clarence Moore
~Samie Parker from KC

Also, Antonio Bryants back out there now. He may be too expensive.

Some second tier UFAs they may look at ..

~Justin Gage
~Kelley Washington
~Travis Taylor
~Kevin Curtis
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby furls » Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:27 am

Not sure what kind of money Joe Horn would require, but I think that this team could use his locker room maturity (especially at WR) and this team is not particularly deep at WR. This is a fairly young team, and if they have a good draft (which they really need) they stand to get even younger. A solid veteran WR (particularly a former Pro Bowler) can have a pretty good impact on young QBs too.

Another aspect to consider is that it is VERY likely that KWII will not be anywhere near himself next year. Now I know one is a TE and the other is a WR, but another playmaker to catch the ball could be very important. You are not going to be able to find another KWII style TE on the FA market or in this year's draft, so you need to try to find another guy to fill the role.

If I were a betting man, and I am, I would bet that KWII comes back to early from his microfracture surgery and struggles most of the year. I love his toughness, I just hate his common sense (or lack thereof). Bottom line, if Horn is fairly cheap than I say sign him. I think that after his recent treatment by N.O. he will play with a pretty big chip on his shoulder.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Re: Browns contact Joe Horn

Unread postby consigliere » Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:39 am

JB wrote:I'll bite - why?

JJ = McCardell and who is gonna sit for Horn?

Was Travis Wilson that much of a throwaway pick?

Yah know, the 9ers have shottheir wad and A Thomas is still hangin' arond, no?

I don't think JJ is a #2 WR. He's a solid #3 guy, and good possession receiver and end zone threat though. I'd be much happier with JJ taking over D-Cutts #3 role, and us getting someone like McCardell or Horn to fill the #2 spot. Wilson and Cribbs also make a fine #4/5 combo.

I'm not looking at Horn/McCardell for more than this year though, I'm looking at these guys as a 1-2 year bridge until we find that #2 in-house. I've always liked McCardell too.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby yogi » Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:36 am

I wouldn't spend a plug nickel over vet minimum for any WR at this point.

And I don't want Joe Horn. McCardell maybe. Aren't we trying to give BE proper role models? Horn's support for the city of NO was admirable and all that but wasn't it just a few years ago that he was making phone calls in the end zone? And he wasn't a young rookie at the time, just immature. And he still runs his mouth. PASS.

We got KW2, BE, JJ and its time for Wilson to get some PT and develop him somewhat.

We got better things to spend our money on. Like DL, OL, DB, QB, RB.
yogi
Jersey Accent

Unread postby swerb » Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:51 am

yogi wrote:I wouldn't spend a plug nickel over vet minimum for any WR at this point.

And I don't want Joe Horn. McCardell maybe. Aren't we trying to give BE proper role models? Horn's support for the city of NO was admirable and all that but wasn't it just a few years ago that he was making phone calls in the end zone? And he wasn't a young rookie at the time, just immature. And he still runs his mouth. PASS.

We got KW2, BE, JJ and its time for Wilson to get some PT and develop him somewhat.

We got better things to spend our money on. Like DL, OL, DB, QB, RB.

Great point Yog.

Drew Carter, Justin Gage ... those are two guys I like though. I would not be opposed to spending a couple mill to get one of those kids in here.

Braylon & K2's knees still scares me. And whoever our QB is, it's not going to bring back any Montana memories ... they're gonna need help.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Wolfy » Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:24 pm

Calvin Johnson
Wolfy

Unread postby Wolfy » Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:26 pm

Back that up with a little J. Lewis.
Wolfy

Unread postby Wolfy » Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:33 pm

That wont happen though... we will draft Peterson... he will get hurt...ect...ect...ect! Sorry, I love the Browns but hey C. Brown, L. Bently, KW2, B. Edwards... I don't even know why I'm gonna try and list that mess...forget it!
Wolfy

Unread postby leadpipe » Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:28 pm

Thing is, the Browns aren't so well off in my opinion that they can add guys that really aren't going to make much of a difference. In other words, there are easily 6 or 7 positions/situations that they can upgrade that are going to make much more of a difference than if they sign a McCardell or Drew Carter. I also don't think they have the liuxury to worry about as many injury risks as other teams. I understand your point Swerb about maybe some insurance for Edwards, but this team needs to address other issues first instead of reaching for an average player as an "in case" player. It is a shame that Browns fans, understandably, are so worried about injuries we just can feel coming. You sense it in a lot of posts. But I'm not sure,at this time, we can ignore other areas to concern ourselves with that.

Also, The Browns certainly don't need to reach for "crafty veterans" Give me someone who can play. Jamal Lewis hasn't been worth a damn since he's been in the joint, and a 28 year old running back with his mileage ain't that young. Let him run out the string somehere else. Joey Porter looked old and slow last year. He can't defend the pass anymore. All this "fire and brimstone" will lose it's edge if he can't lead by example. Kamerion Wimbley ain't running thru a wall for Willie McGinest. He's a smart guy. What he saw last year was an old and disintersted player, like we all saw. He did nothing to help the team, and I don't think Porter will either.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby furls » Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:53 pm

Nice Post Pipe...

The second paragraph is 100% on the money.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby Wolfy » Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:05 pm

My point was that they are leaning towards drafting Peterson who has been injury prone his entire stay at Oklahoma. Why not go get the "best" player in the draft and worry about other issues through free agency where you can target specific needs and have a better feel for the player and his abilities. I am not big on Lewis either but it sure beats him running for 1-2 hundy on us every year. We already have the Ruben and mixing him with a Jammal Lewis wouldn’t look to bad in the fourth quarter either. Plus, nothing is a given for the Browns. Draft picks no matter how high or low have not been so good (Wimbley is nice though). I too am tired of the veteran’s such as McGinest, who come in and “mentor” other player’s. It just seems as though they are collecting paychecks before the sunny beaches and margaritas start flowing. McGinest is slow, creaky and uninspired but was a beast in his prime with the Pats. Porter smells of the same stank. He is in the same mold as McGinest even worse. What, so he can come here and play uninspired football for the team and player he hates’s most (KW2) while getting paid a kings ransom?…Naaaa, I’ll pass on him too. Take the best player on the board! Calvin Johnson is rated #1...TAKE HIM! We dont need Joe Horn or McCardell we already have them on our roster his name is Joe but I'm talking about the homer not the Horn.
Wolfy

Unread postby jb » Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:34 pm

Furls wrote:Nice Post Pipe...

The second paragraph is 100% on the money.

Concur.

Hammer meet nail by Pipe.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby Wolfy » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:56 am

My point was that they are leaning towards drafting Peterson who has been injury prone his entire stay at Oklahoma. Why not go get the "best" player in the draft and worry about other issues through free agency where you can target specific needs and have a better feel for the player and his abilities. I am not big on Lewis either but it sure beats him running for 1-2 hundy on us every year. We already have the Ruben and mixing him with a Jammal Lewis wouldn’t look to bad in the fourth quarter either. Plus, nothing is a given for the Browns. Draft picks no matter how high or low have not been so good (Wimbley is nice though). I too am tired of the veteran’s such as McGinest, who come in and “mentor” other player’s. It just seems as though they are collecting paychecks before the sunny beaches and margaritas start flowing. McGinest is slow, creaky and uninspired but was a beast in his prime with the Pats. Porter smells of the same stank. He is in the same mold as McGinest even worse. What, so he can come here and play uninspired football for the team and player he hates most (KW2) while getting paid a kings ransom?…Naaaa, I’ll pass on him too. Take the best player on the board! Calvin Johnson is rated #1...TAKE HIM! We don’t need Joe Horn or McCardell we already have them on our roster his name is Joe but I'm talking about the homer not the Horn.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm. I are smart!

This was a reply to the Joe Horn topic but It shows I have a pulse on this team. Hahahahahaha. Pipe was talking how he doesn’t want old vet's to come in here and be lazy like McGinest (which I never made a reference to?) and got racked??? By JB and Consigliere. I was just wondering if I could get some love for this brilliant foreshadow of events? I would just like them to take the BEST PLAYER AVIALABLE!!!!! That's all :lol:
Wolfy

Unread postby Wolfy » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:09 am

check
Wolfy

Unread postby docstank » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:45 am

First J Lewis, now talk of Joe Horn, what is with all of the thugs?
docstank

Unread postby yogi » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:59 am

I think Horn signed ( or is close to signing) with Atlanta.

No skin off my apple.

But it could affect how hot Atlanta is as a possible trade partner for Calvin.

Every move made in th entire league seems like it could affect the Browns!

We are seeing way more action now as Browns fans then we have seen in the season since 2001!
yogi
Jersey Accent

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL