Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Grossi: Bryant, Taylor, Shea ... Buh Bye

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Grossi: Bryant, Taylor, Shea ... Buh Bye

Unread postby swerb » Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:11 pm

And good riddance to all of them says Swerb ... would love to see Jurevicius brought in to replace Bryant.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/plainde ... xml&coll=2

Bryant probably will not be back with the Browns
Sunday, February 12, 2006
Tony Grossi
Plain Dealer Reporter

Antonio Bryant, the fifth player in Browns history to post 1,000 yards receiving in a season, likely will not return to the team.

The Browns have decided to move on without Bryant, who becomes an unrestricted free agent on March 3. They just can't bring themselves to state it publicly.

"We're kind of wait-and-see on that one," General Manager Phil Savage said of Bryant. "He wants to test [free agency] a little bit. I think it probably helps us a little bit that way, too."

Lamont Smith, Bryant's agent, disputed that Bryant wants to test free agency.

"To my knowledge, Antonio's never communicated that to [Savage]," Smith said. "We just have not heard from them. Draw your own conclusions. Antonio never told them that he wanted to test the market.

"I certainly haven't told them that. I can't do a deal by myself. I did approach Romeo [Crennel] about this at the Senior Bowl. Suffice it to say, we haven't gotten any indications that there's any interest in re-signing him."

Despite some notable drops, Bryant led the Browns with 69 catches for 1,009 yards and four touchdowns.

The receiving yards rank No. 4 on the franchise's all-time list, trailing Webster Slaughter's 1,236 in 1989, Kevin Johnson's 1,097 in 2001 and Paul Warfield's 1,067 in 1968. Ozzie Newsome had totals of 1,002 yards in 1981 and 1,001 in 1984.

Bryant, acquired in a trade with Dallas for receiver Quincy Morgan in mid-2004, was a bargain for the club. He made $455,000 in 2005, the last year of his original, four-year contract.

Bryant came to the Browns with the reputation as a hothead. He threw a jersey in the face of Dallas coach Bill Parcells in the 2004 training camp. The Cowboys ordered Bryant to attend anger-management counseling before welcoming him back. They traded him two months later.

In 1½ seasons with the Browns, the worst behavior seen from Bryant was an occasional jawing with his quarterback. Smith believes Bryant's image was healed in his time with the Browns. For that, he is thankful.

"The great thing Cleveland allowed him to do was show he's a team player, and he makes plays," Smith said.

"There are guys that function in this league that have been a lot more disruptive than what people might construe Antonio to be. Antonio only wanted to play and make a contribution. Time has shown he was right in wanting those things. He's been productive in Dallas and productive in Cleveland."

One-thousand-yard receivers are more plentiful than at any time in NFL history. Bryant ranked 19th among 20 1,000-yard receivers in 2005. He will be only 25 next month. Coming off his best season in four NFL campaigns, Bryant should have no trouble finding a buyer in free agency.

Pittsburgh may view Bryant as a replacement for Antwaan Randle El, who is expected to leave in free agency. Bryant starred at the University of Pittsburgh. Coincidentally, Morgan was signed by the Steelers after Dallas released him during last season. Morgan broke his lower left leg in Pittsburgh's 16th game and was idle during the Steelers' postseason run.

The Browns definitely would need to replace Bryant with an experienced pass catcher in free agency because their top two receiving threats - tight end Kellen Winslow Jr. and receiver Braylon Edwards - each will be coming off anterior cruciate ligament surgery.

More free-agent fodder:

Savage said the team still is trying to negotiate deals to keep defensive end Orpheus Roye and left tackle L.J. Shelton from becoming unrestricted free agents on March 3.

The team is not actively pursuing new deals for tight end Aaron Shea and linebacker Ben Taylor. They only would come back if they can't sign elsewhere
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Guest » Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:20 pm

Dont let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.

Re: Grossi: Bryant, Taylor, Shea ... Buh Bye

Unread postby HoodooMan » Sun Feb 12, 2006 2:35 pm

Swerb wrote:And good riddance to all of them says Swerb ... would love to see Jurevicius brought in to replace Bryant.

Unless the 49ers give him a first round tender, even though I'd hate to part with the pick (he was a 5th round pick, IIRC), I'd rather see us sign RFA Brandon Lloyd to an offer sheet. I've only seen him in highlights, but damn those are some nice highlights. Cut one of his arms off and he still has better hands than Bryant.

Nice to see they're also trying to resign LJ Shelton. I thought he did a pretty decent job last year. Bentley can be enough of an OL upgrade for the frothy-mouthed OL pimps for one year.

Are there any front seven FAs out there that anyone's crazy about? I don't know of any. SOBO's all over M-Kamoahshshshie from Baltimore, but I get the feeling that has a lot less to do with the talent of the player than the need of a NT. Grass aint always greener.
HoodooMan
The King

Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Unread postby Lebowski » Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:42 am

Shea showed skillz and toughness. I remember him running over Stiller LBs on a couple occasions. And Browns showing toughness vs. Pitts is the equal of a red herring. That said, he was always hurt, and with Winslow joining the team next year, maybe the time was right to cut bait.

Taylor is a puss and should have been stocking shelves or selling insurance for the past 3 years instead of STARTING for a NFL team(snicker). I'll never forget Bettis dragging him for 4 yards into the endzone in the 41-zip drubbing. Miss Taylor might catch on with someone who needs special teams help.

I dont understand getting rid of Bryant. I know he has a case of the drops...but he has ability, and can a team that lacks players with ability really afford letting him walk? Factor in Edwards injury (possibly not being ready for the season) and a young QB, and this makes less sense. I would like to bring JJ home...but what if he signs elsewhere? Then what? Can a team with close to zero talent afford to get rid of a guy with...um...talent?!

Money says he has a 1000 yd season with Pitt, replacing El.
- Lebowski
Lebowski
The Dude

Favorite Player: Z
Least Favorite Player: BE

Unread postby SpaZDawG » Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:40 am

Money says he has a 1000 yd season with Pitt, replacing El.

Whines Hard numbers for 05:

2005 Pittsburgh Steelers 15 15 69 975 14.1 85 11 10 3 53

I dont think they through enough for any #2 to get 1000 yards.
SpaZDawG

Understand...

Unread postby bostondog » Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:44 am

The article on the front page summarizes why Bryant is being voted off the island. It is the right call. There are simply too many questions to tie yourself to Bryant with a big money contract. The skills are there. The 1000 yrds was nice, but the drops and attitude make the risk too great.
bostondog

Unread postby swerb » Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:52 am

Thanks boston. I obviously agree. Too much risk for the cash he will end up getting.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Lebowski » Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:57 pm

Too much risk for the cash he will end up getting.

Who knows what he will be getting?

What is the harm in offering him what you are willing to give him? If he signs elsewhere for more...so be it.

And what happens if JJ, Lloyd, and the others sign elsewhere? Northcutt's skill set isn't served best when he is a starter...he's better in the alot as the third wideout. Frisman starts? Rideau? Cribbs? Yikes for Chuck.
- Lebowski
Lebowski
The Dude

Unread postby bostondog » Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:55 pm

If Romeo's in-season criticism is any indicator, I suspect the Browns don't believe the good vibrations from Bryant will last indefinitely. Bryant kept quiet this year because he was playing for a contract. Does he keep quiet once the Browns make a significant investment in him? And supposing you could get him on the "cheap", how happy and productive do you think he'll be believing he's worth much more?
bostondog

Unread postby pup » Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:09 pm

I don't think Lebowski wants to break the bank for him, but why piss him off. Say he doesn't get the deal he thinks he will in FA, if you are cool with him, maybe he sticks around for cheaper than you expect.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby swerb » Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:10 pm

Lebowski wrote:Too much risk for the cash he will end up getting.

What is the harm in offering him what you are willing to give him? If he signs elsewhere for more...so be it.

And what happens if JJ, Lloyd, and the others sign elsewhere? Northcutt's skill set isn't served best when he is a starter...he's better in the alot as the third wideout. Frisman starts? Rideau? Cribbs? Yikes for Chuck.

Lebowski, I think what Savage is willing to offer Bryant would likely insult Bryant, and he feels that just layin low and not committing to a # would give them a better chance to bring him back should all other FA WRs spurn them.

Kinda like with The Severed Head of Kelly Holcomb last year. The Browns put out what he thought was an insulting figure. In the end, he got a near identical offer from Buffalo, but had some hard feelings and preferred to go elsewhere for equal $$$.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Hoestly...

Unread postby bostondog » Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:24 pm

...I don't want Bryant back even at a great price. Like I said, what he takes and what he plays happily for are two completely different numbers IMHO.

I think sometimes we tend to forget that it's ok to move on if the player simply doesn't fit the system you want to run. Not giving Bryant an offer, even an insulting one, clearly tells me the Browns have decided to move on. Bryant just doesn't fit their mold.
bostondog

Unread postby Lebowski » Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:44 pm

he feels that just layin low and not committing to a # would give them a better chance to bring him back should all other FA WRs spurn them.

Do you really think that's what he is doing here? I think the clear signal from the PD article and from all the other innuendo from Crennel and Savage is that they don't want him back at all...at any price.

And Savage hardly is laying low. If he was laying low this article wouldn't have come out. If he truly would take AB back at the right price, the article would have only been about those bums Shea and Taylor. Saying nothing about AB or some vague comment about "hoping we can come to terms" or "would like him back" is laying low.

But if Phil has made up his mind on AB already (which he has) then that brings me back to my original post.

The bigger concern is that Phil gets too antsy on cutting bait with these guys. Warren and the rest of the d-line were tossed away like parking tickets. Was Anthony Henry even offered a contract? (I honestly can't remember) Swerb, I know you had contact with Henry's agent last offseason...was that after Savage was at the helm?

A team without talent cannot just let talented players walk. Warren and Bryant have defiencies...no doubt...but they also have skills. (btw, Henry has a lot of skill...little deficiencies...but I cannot remember if Phil offered him) I'm not saying they should sign Bryant...just that they offer him what they would like to pay him.

But again, that ASS-U-MEs Phil wants him.
- Lebowski
Lebowski
The Dude

Unread postby Lebowski » Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:52 pm

And supposing you could get him on the "cheap", how happy and productive do you think he'll be believing he's worth much more?

Happy? Don't know and don't care. I've watched such shitty football for the past 7 years that I could care less about the happiness of our players. Anything less than a TO situation with Sir Charles playing Donovan and I'm cool.

Productive? Certainly more than Brandon Ridau, Joshua Cribbs, and Frisman Jackson........................combined.
- Lebowski
Lebowski
The Dude

Unread postby swerb » Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:01 pm

Do you really think that's what he is doing here? I think the clear signal from the PD article and from all the other innuendo from Crennel and Savage is that they don't want him back at all...at any price.

I just think Savage feels confident that Bryant will command much more than hes willing to ever pay him. And that what hes comfortable paying him would be an insult to Bryant.

AB is 25 years old, has played four years already. More than likely, this is his ONE CHANCE to get paid. His one chance to set himself up for life. He's gonna likely look to capitalize off his best season as a pro and get a 4-5 year deal. After that, at age 30, in a league with an average career length of under five years ... all bets are off for him. His agent is going to (correctly) advise him to maximize his value.

Look at the FA WR class. Bryant may be the jewel of it to alot of teams, especially with Reggie Wayne getting franchised.

All it takes is one team (more realistically a couple teams) with a high opinion of AB to set the market on him. And as I mentioned in the piece, there is alot to like. His age, his size, his 2005 season, his pedigree.

Which gets me back to my original take: AB gets a phat deal this off-season, and I don't want Randy Jammie writin' that check.
The bigger concern is that Phil gets too antsy on cutting bait with these guys. Warren and the rest of the d-line were tossed away like parking tickets. Was Anthony Henry even offered a contract? (I honestly can't remember) Swerb, I know you had contact with Henry's agent last offseason...was that after Savage was at the helm?

A team without talent cannot just let talented players walk. Warren and Bryant have defiencies...no doubt...but they also have skills. (btw, Henry has a lot of skill...little deficiencies...but I cannot remember if Phil offered him) I'm not saying they should sign Bryant...just that they offer him what they would like to pay him.

Thats a legitimate concern, even though I happen to agree with Phil on this one.

Henry was insulted by Butch with a low offer. Another example where it woulda been better to say nothing, like Savage is with AB. Relationship with the team was frayed when Phil came in. Combine that with his affinity for Gary Baxter, and there ya have it.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby pup » Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:43 pm

Lebowski - I see what you are saying about talent. The Browns need to improve overall talent, and do it quickly. Does that mean we should be in contact with T.O. though? Bryant is not a malcontent on the level of TO, but he is not on level with his talent either so it is the same situation.

About the former Browns defensive line....those guys got more pub for no reason than they deserved. Their perceived improved play is for one simple reason. They were playing in front of one of the best linebacking corps in the NFL. When offensives have to account for Ian Gold, Al Wilson and DJ Williams instead of Andra Davis, Ben Taylor and that other white dude, your defensive line gets a little less attention. Gerard Warren is the same fat, lazy bumb he was in Cleveland. Courtney Brown stayed relatively healthy, but still wasn't all that good for Denver.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby Lebowski » Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:29 pm

Which gets me back to my original take: AB gets a phat deal this off-season, and I don't want Randy Jammie writin' that check.

If it comes down to that, I agree. No reason to pay a premium for Bryant. I just think its logical to offer him something...better to be inconsistent than inept...no?

Maybe Jurivecious signs with us and all's good. But then again...what if Braylon misses part of the season?

I still stand by my concern with Phil's itchy trigger finger on the likes of Warren and now apparently with Bryant. Time will tell if my concern is founded or not.

Does that mean we should be in contact with T.O. though?

I assume you meant this to be rhetorical...but for a one-year deal, absolutely. Likely would be tying too much money at the receiver position...but I'll argue on principal. He'll be on his best behavior in order to get sick jack the following off-season from GMs who witness the "changed" T.O. Of course he'll probably sabotage that team...but there is no doubt I would pursue Owens for a one-year deal. He would never come to Cleveland..but whoever he plays for in 06 will get some serious production.

Would you rather be shitty with "nice" guys or good with "bad" guys?
- Lebowski
Lebowski
The Dude

Unread postby pup » Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:42 pm

Good with bad guys, for sure. However recent history has shown much more emphasis placed on "team" than ever before. Guys that enjoy playing together and that aren't headaches win alot more than the best collection of players. Look at the best teams in every major sport. None of them have individuals. The teams with the best player did not win. White Sox are not that talented. The Spurs/Pistons/Mavericks are not the 3 most talented teams in the NBA right now, but I don't think their fans are upset.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby Lebowski » Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:49 pm

I hear ya Pup. But I dont like comparing other sports to football...so lets go with some NFL examples.

The basic premise of your argument is that the concept of "team" is of high importance to winning, and I agree. I understand this to mean "team chemistry," so I'll throw out two teams who have recently won the Super Bowl and have had great team chemistry: New England and Pittsburgh.

Both of those teams had great chemistry (your criteria for why we shouldn't pursue players such as Bryant and TO). Both of those teams have tremendous talent, far beyond the Browns. Both of those teams have won Super Bowls.

Here's my point...to get great chemistry, the team needs to win. To win, the team needs talent.

The Browns don't win because of a lack of talent....and because they don't win, they dont have great chemistry. Thus...what exactly would someone like TO be disrupting? Certainly not any team chemistry, because they aint none.

I understand that TO isn't going to sign here. I did this exercise because I dont understand this line of thinking: "Nah...I don't want <enter name of talented, but headcase-type player> because he'll cause problems with the team."

Best case scenario, you would like to get talented players who don't have a track record of off-the-field problems or disruptive behavior. I just don't understand fans who think a perpetually shitty organization like the Browns can be so picky.
- Lebowski
Lebowski
The Dude

Unread postby pup » Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:16 pm

My only argument with that is the Carolina Panthers. They have gone from the bottom of the barrel, to a Super Bowl, back to the bottom (because of injuries), then back to the NFC Championship game. With roughly the same talent level every year.
Look at what TO did in Philly. Do you really want that here? He had a good regular season, but that put the Eagles in no better shape than they had been for 3 years. Then without him, they get over the NFC title hump. Sure he played a great game in the Super Bowl, but it didn't get them a win. Then this year he totally implodes one of the tightest clubhouses in football. He has players that would have ran through a wall for McNabb now questioning if he is the right man for Philly. That is what one cancer can do.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby Lebowski » Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:18 pm

Look at what TO did in Philly. Do you really want that here?

I wouldn't mind a Super Bowl appearance. And make no mistake, they didn't make it over the NFC title hump w/o him...they made it because of him. He may have been injured...but tell me they weren't a totally different team with TO than the year before.

Not flaming, but I don't follow your Carolina example. Another talented team with great chemistry...no? They moved from the bottom because they have excellent football players.

I stand by the "Talent---->Winning---->Chemistry---->Continued Winning" theory.

The Browns need to get past the first step...abd that means they can't afford to be picky.
- Lebowski
Lebowski
The Dude

Unread postby pup » Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:37 pm

I looked a little deeper into the Panthers thought and you are right there has been quite a bit of important turnover since the 1-15 year.

I am not saying I wouldn't take the bad attitude from a great player. I just don't think you have to do it that way.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Couple of thoughts

Unread postby bostondog » Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:46 pm

From Lebowski:

Happy? Don't know and don't care.

Looking at his previous history, you do have to know and care. Dallas didn't give up on him because he wasn't talented.

Productive? Certainly more than Brandon Ridau, Joshua Cribbs, and Frisman Jackson........................combined.

They didn't start either. In fact, they weren't even 3rd on the depth charts. It'd be impossible for any of them to match AB's numbers.

From Swerb:

I just think Savage feels confident that Bryant will command much more than hes willing to ever pay him. And that what hes comfortable paying him would be an insult to Bryant.

I think the Browns have chosen to move on. Don't think it has anything to do with insulting him or his agent.

From Pup:

The Browns need to improve overall talent, and do it quickly. Does that mean we should be in contact with T.O. though?

No. If the Browns were a player away from the Super Bowl, TO might make sense. TO might be a good fit for a team like KC where you have a decent defense, a pretty good QB, a good RB, etc. You bring in a TO for a year and hope he is the piece that pushes you over the top. The Browns are still building and a corrosive influence like TO is not going to help the building process.
bostondog

Unread postby Lebowski » Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:13 pm

They didn't start either. In fact, they weren't even 3rd on the depth charts. It'd be impossible for any of them to match AB's numbers.

I wasn't referring to last year. I'm suggesting that the Browns may be faced with the very real possibility of one of those guys starting next season. Edwards may not be ready. There is no guarantee that we will sign one of the FAs mentioned. Which brings me to my original point...what is the harm in offering him what you are willing to pay him?

The fact that all signs say Phil is gonna let him walk means that he must be confident he will sign one of the FAs. Hopefully he's right.

Looking at his previous history, you do have to know and care. Dallas didn't give up on him because he wasn't talented.

He had issues in Dallas. Butch made his best trade of his tenure in Cleveland though when he shipped Quincy off to the 'boys for AB. Bryant had a 1000 yd season with us and Quincy is a special teams player in Pittsburgh.

Back to your point though...what did he do in Cleveland that was so bad? I can't remember a single report of him not getting along with teammates or being a cancer in the locker-room. Dilfer said he was the best receiver he ever worked with.

There are two logical camps here: (a) Those who want to move on without AB because he is inconsistent. This camp believes we can get a quality WR in FA at a cheaper price. (b) Those who think we should offer him a contract for what the team is willing to pay him. This camp is concerned with Phil's history of letting talented players walk without even offering contracts.

I obviously fall into (b).

But there is a third camp that you touched on, which is not logical at all to me: (c) Those who think we should let AB walk because he has a history of being a disruptive teammate.

Again...what did he do in Cleveland?
- Lebowski
Lebowski
The Dude

Unread postby bostondog » Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:36 pm

I'm suggesting that the Browns may be faced with the very real possibility of one of those guys starting next season. Edwards may not be ready

All true. I am also assuming Phil sees this and that suggests to me there is something seriously wrong with AB.

He had issues in Dallas.

My guess is the Browns don't believe those issues are dead or unique to Dallas though.

I also think that in Phil's shoes, he has to think about the whole picture. Yes, AB is a talented receiver. Yes, there are numerous risks at that position. Forget about the injuries to Edwards and Winslow because there is always the possibility they may be draft misses. However, I already have millions invested in Edwards and Evil Knievel. How much can I invest in AB as well and not hurt the O-line, D-line, DBs, RBs, etc., etc.?
bostondog

Unread postby Lebowski » Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:18 pm

All true. I am also assuming Phil sees this and that suggests to me there is something seriously wrong with AB.

What do you mean by "seriously wrong?" Or is this pure conjecture?

My guess is the Browns don't believe those issues are dead or unique to Dallas though.

But they are unique to Dallas, unless you can provide evidence from his time in Cleveland. Or do you think he was disrupting the team somehow, but that info/story hasn't become public info?

However, I already have millions invested in Edwards and Evil Knievel. How much can I invest in AB as well and not hurt the O-line, D-line, DBs, RBs, etc., etc.?

Ah, we finally agree on something boston :wink:

If that is the reason, I understand the rationale. This team is so deficient in other areas that big cash can't be tied up in one spot. However, if it were purely a $ issue...I assume they would make some sort of offer....right? It brings me back to my argument that no matter what your problem with AB is...his talent is undeniable, and on that alone, SOMETHING should be offered to him. If he doesn't take our offer, then we move on. At that point who gives a shit if he is "insulted" as Swerb said.

But saying he is a bad teammate is bogus...unless there is evidence of such in Cleveland that I am unaware of.
- Lebowski
Lebowski
The Dude

Unread postby swerb » Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:48 pm

It brings me back to my argument that no matter what your problem with AB is...his talent is undeniable, and on that alone, SOMETHING should be offered to him. If he doesn't take our offer, then we move on. At that point who gives a shit if he is "insulted" as Swerb said.

I understand what you are getting at Lebowski, I just happen to disagree here.

If you know that the most you are willing to pay will be insulting to a guy heading towards FA, just don't make an offer outta the gates, and justify it as "wanting to let the market set his price".

In the unlikely event that other FA WRs spurn the Browns AND Bryant doesn't get any lucrative offers in FA, the door is more open for the Browns to bring him back in that scenario the way Savage has played it.

I again point back to Holcomb last year, where a similar thing happened. Savage came in, decided Kelly was a POS, and made him an offer reflective of that opinion. Holcomb laughed at the offer, then never got anything better. However, his mind was already made up he was leavin C-Town.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby bostondog » Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:26 pm

What do you mean by "seriously wrong?"

Maybe seriously is not the best word, but I do believe there are issues they see.

But they are unique to Dallas, unless you can provide evidence from his time in Cleveland.

Not exactly true though because Romeo criticized AB for his play in-season. I suspect there are issues we just don't see as well.

I assume they would make some sort of offer....right?

Yeah, that leads me to my conjecture that there is more to this than meets the naked eye.

It brings me back to my argument that no matter what your problem with AB is...his talent is undeniable, and on that alone, SOMETHING should be offered to him. If he doesn't take our offer, then we move on.

That was the Butch Davis philosophy. I don't think Romeo and Phil buy into that though. I don't believe talent alone justifies keeping/pursuing players.

But saying he is a bad teammate is bogus...unless there is evidence of such in Cleveland that I am unaware of.

They're not going to advertise it. I think if you read between the lines though, it's fairly evident something more is going on here.
bostondog

Unread postby Lebowski » Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:58 pm

Your basing your argument of assumptions. (If they didn't offer him there must have been some off the field problems) There is no evidence whatsoever that he was a poor teammate in Cleveland. Crennel criticized his play at that point in the season...not about any problems in the locker-room or the like.

They're not going to advertise it. I think if you read between the lines though, it's fairly evident something more is going on here.

In today's media crazed environment virtually everything comes out. You can't make such broad assumptions when you have zilch to back it up.

That was the Butch Davis philosophy.

Actually, it is a the free market theory. If you look in your fridge and see that you dont have any food (talent) you go to the market (FA market). Then, you decide how much you are willing to pay for a particular item (player). If that item is priced too high according to the value you placed to it, you look to see what other (cheaper) alternatives there are.
- Lebowski
Lebowski
The Dude

Unread postby swerb » Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:38 pm

There is no evidence whatsoever that he was a poor teammate in Cleveland. Crennel criticized his play at that point in the season...not about any problems in the locker-room or the like.

I guess it's possible Bryant has matured as a player, but he has a long history of having problems with just about every coach he's played for.

I think that was mitigated to a degree this year, because he was finally getting the looks of a #1 WR.

What the Browns likely fear is that if forced back into a secondary role due to a healthy KW2 and BE, that Bryant would be likely to revert to his ways of old. And that it would be even worse here if that happened because we have young players (Frye, KW2, BE) that he would be working with.

By essentially cutting ties with Bryant, Savage and Crennel likely feel these young players would be much better off bringing in a veteran WR that these guys can learn from, and with a less likely chance of that player self-imploding.

Said another way, I don't think Crennel wanted BE to learn how to play WR in this league fro Bryant.

I could be wrong, thats just my take. Personally, I think him not coming back was more Romeo than Phil.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby bostondog » Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:29 pm

Your basing your argument of assumptions.

True. As we all do since none of us sit inside Lou Groza Blvd.

There is no evidence whatsoever that he was a poor teammate in Cleveland.

No outward evidence. We don't know what happens in the lockerroom. We don't know what happens on the practice field.

Whatever reason you want to speculate on, I think it is clear the team decided to move on. [Insert speculative reason why here] :D

You can't make such broad assumptions when you have zilch to back it up.

I think I just did. :lol:

I'm just telling you what I think. You know what they say about opinions and assholes though....

Actually, it is a the free market theory.

Some yes, but I'd argue the successful teams look for a lot more than just raw athletic ability. You would never see the Patriots or Steelers go after a Randy Moss who is arguably the most talented WR in football.

It's the difference between a Heinz Ward and Terrel Owens. Ward has so much more to offer a team than Owens even if he is not as physically talented.
bostondog

Unread postby swerb » Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:27 am

Also in Grossi's column this morning, Savage (in my opinion) basically officially says goodbye to Antonio:

I agree completely with Savage's stance here.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/plainde ... xml&coll=2

"We have a number of players on the team that are functional NFL players. But we need better than functional. We need players that can make plays and be a difference-maker and win a game for us."

Bryant's agent, Lamont Smith, confirmed to The Plain Dealer two weeks ago the Browns have not tried to re-sign the 1,000-yard receiver.

Savage said the Browns want to replace Bryant with a veteran receiver in free agency. He declined to comment on pursuing Cleveland native Joe Jurevicius, whose contract is up in Seattle.

"That's something we're looking into, trying to bring more of a professional demeanor, a professional quality, to that [receivers'] room," Savage said.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL