Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Trent Green Available

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Trent Green Available

Unread postby swerb » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:40 pm

Depending on the price tag, I'd love to see the Browns make a play for Trent. Outside of a deal where we get David Carr, #8, + _______ for #3 ... Green does more for me than any of the other QB options out there via FA or trade (unless Jax wants to move Garrard).

Seems like a good fit. Despite the concussion and marginal stats last year, Trent's still a good thrower of the football, is not far removed from some pretty damn good seasons despite having the worst WRs in football, and still has 2-3 years left if he can avoid concussions.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10028486

The Kansas City Chiefs are fielding calls from teams interested in Trent Green, but there's no indication what the club wants in exchange for the veteran quarterback.

That doesn't come as news to Jim Steiner, Green's agent, who is still waiting to hear from the Chiefs about a possible renegotiation of a contract scheduled to pay Green $7.2 million this season.

Green has been the team's starter since he was acquired in 2001 from St. Louis, but he missed eight games last year with a concussion and was replaced by Damon Huard.

Huard, 5-3 as a starter, was re-signed by the Chiefs on Tuesday, fueling speculation that Green might be headed for the discard pile. The Chiefs have said they must renegotiate Green's contract, otherwise they would consider trading or releasing him.

So far, however, there have been no talks -- though NFL sources said clubs contacted the Chiefs to gauge their interest in trading him. One person said the Chiefs aren't shopping Green but did say they fielded calls regarding the quarterback.

Trent Green, who has 118 TD passes in six years with the Chiefs, threw seven in '06. (Getty Images)
"I haven't had any conversation with them," said Steiner. "I anticipate something, but there's been nothing thus far."

Steiner said that "everyone knows" the Chiefs are shopping the veteran, who turns 37 this year, and is not sure what the re-signing of Huard means for his client. What he does know is that the Chiefs want to get younger. He also knows Green's time in Kansas City is limited, at best -- which means his future is dependent on the next phone call from the Chiefs.

"It depends on what they are or are not about to do," Steiner said of the Chiefs. "And what may be out there."
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby jb » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:21 pm

Dunno Swerb - Trent Green is the wrong QB for where the team is in development. I think I'd rather sign Brad Johnson as 3rd QB .
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby Dozen » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:22 pm

I pass on Green, it would seriously take about 2 weeks for that guy to be put on IR. I'm really not that exited about Carr either. I think I d rather see Brad Johnson, but that aint saying much.
http://www.thesportshole.com

http://www.youtube.com/TheSportsHole

I have never seen so many kok heads all lumped together like that ~ Yhimmie
Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Favorite Player: my son
Least Favorite Player: venomous/bipolar

Unread postby swerb » Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:26 pm

JB wrote:Dunno Swerb - Trent Green is the wrong QB for where the team is in development. I think I'd rather sign Brad Johnson as 3rd QB .

If you believe Charlie or DA is the future, I can buy that.

Im looking for a guy that can keep those two off the field, and buy me another year or two to find The Answer.

However, the price tag will likely be too high for a team where the Browns are at right now, with so many other holes to fill.

A long shot. Phil should make the call though.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby furls » Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:51 am

They really need to bring in a vet. What we got right now is the blind leading the retarded. Neither of these guys has been around long enough to have a clue, and if they are serious about developing one of them, they should get them a mentor.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby jb » Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:40 am

Furls wrote:They really need to bring in a vet. What we got right now is the blind leading the retarded. Neither of these guys has been around long enough to have a clue, and if they are serious about developing one of them, they should get them a mentor.

Yep - that's my thinking.

I see Green as a guy who will still want to be a starter, but BJ is a guy who could sit and deal.

Swerb, I have my doubts, but if we are going to chuck Chuck and DA, then I want a solution, not a band aid.

If you want a vet to do anything more than be Crash Davis to frick and frack, then get me a guy under 32 with some trad life, not an older cat who is gonna get pummelled behind an OL that is in progress .
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h

Unread postby BadBecks » Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:30 pm

Outside of a deal where we get David Carr, #8, + _______ for #3 ...

I would much rather see multiple picks come our way than see David Carr here. He's been sacked so many times I swear its given him something similar to "battered wife syndrome" while standing in the pocket. He may be traumatized for life.

With Green's recent run of concussions...he won't last till the bye week here. Too bad...
"Don't Hassle Me...I'm a Local" - Bob Wiley (shirt)
BadBecks
Kid Cleveland

Favorite Player: Eric Turner

Unread postby consigliere » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:12 pm

ITo be honest, I am hoping we can swing a deal for Carr. I think a change in scenery will help him, and he still should have many more years ahead of him even after the bruising he has taken in Houston and the bruising he would take in Cleveland this year while we fix the line to where by 2008 it is solid.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby Dozen » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:14 pm

They better get more than Carr to switch from 3 to 8.

Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Unread postby swerb » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:24 pm

JB wrote:
Furls wrote:They really need to bring in a vet. What we got right now is the blind leading the retarded. Neither of these guys has been around long enough to have a clue, and if they are serious about developing one of them, they should get them a mentor.

Yep - that's my thinking.

I see Green as a guy who will still want to be a starter, but BJ is a guy who could sit and deal.

Swerb, I have my doubts, but if we are going to chuck Chuck and DA, then I want a solution, not a band aid.

If you want a vet to do anything more than be Crash Davis to frick and frack, then get me a guy under 32 with some trad life, not an older cat who is gonna get pummelled behind an OL that is in progress .

I can certainly understand that mindset.

Still, as a Browns fan, even though it's likely unrealistic in 2007, I want a guy that at least makes 9 wins and wildcard contention seem somewhat feasible. Charlie and DA ain't doing that for me.

And to me, Green is one of the only names that has surfaced this season that gives me those fuzzy thoughts if Phil can work magic with out other holes this off-season.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby swerb » Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:49 pm

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascit ... 990038.htm

Browns may go for Green

Cleveland GM asks about QB’s availability as NFL meetings close.

By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

PHOENIX | The Cleveland Browns are the latest entrants into the Trent Green sweepstakes.

Chiefs president/general manager Carl Peterson said he was approached Wednesday at the conclusion of the NFL meetings by his Browns counterpart, Phil Savage.

“We agreed to talk some more later this week or the first of next week,” Peterson said. “He said he wants to talk some more with his head coach and his offensive coordinator. But he did ask whether this thing was over with. I said, ‘No, not at all.’

“Cleveland would make sense to me because Trent played very well against them last year.”

The Chiefs also have talked with the Dolphins and Lions about a trade for Green, the Chiefs’ starting quarterback the past six seasons. Green missed the first half of last season because of a severe concussion and played poorly after his return.

The Chiefs have Damon Huard and Brodie Croyle competing to be their starting quarterback. The Chiefs have said Green would be welcome to return and compete for the job as well if he isn’t traded, but Green would likely balk at that notion.

The Browns have no established, veteran quarterback. They used two young prospects, Charlie Frye and Derek Anderson, at quarterback last season.

Green had his best game of the season when the Chiefs played in Cleveland in early December. He had season highs in completions (24), completion percentage (75), yards (297) and touchdowns (four) but still couldn’t prevent the Chiefs from losing 31-28 in overtime.

Peterson huddled with Lions general manager Matt Millen at the meetings in Arizona but never talked with Miami’s Randy Mueller.

Green has told the Chiefs that Miami is his preference. The Chiefs and Dolphins have exchanged trade offers but were far apart: The Chiefs asked for a second-round pick, and the Dolphins countered with a seventh-round choice.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby consigliere » Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:07 pm

If they acquire Green, I think it means buh-bye Charlie and hello Brady/JaMarcus as the #2 guy.
consigliere

Unread postby Guest » Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:25 pm

On Rizzo's show a KC newpaper said they want a 2nd round pick for him.
No thanks

Unread postby swerb » Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:16 pm

FightDr wrote:On Rizzo's show a KC newpaper said they want a 2nd round pick for him.
No thanks

I heard on Mike and Mike the other day that the best offer KC has recieved is a 7th from Miami.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Guest » Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:29 pm

7th I could handle
6th, maybe

Unread postby Dozen » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:06 pm

Ever wonder what an toddler would look like if you stuck him in the middle of the street during rush hour??? :lol:

Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Unread postby swerb » Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:28 am

I really believe Trent has a couple years left in him. The chance of a recurring concussion worries me alot more than his remaining ability.

I think once it's all said and done, you can get this guy pretty cheap. I deal a 5th rounder, maybe a 4th next year without even thinking about it. Even if he doesn't perform well, the effect he could have on a Frye, DA, Quinn, JMR is likely to be a net net winner over the production of a 5th rd pick.

If you continue to upgrade the OL in the draft, bring in Green, keep 8 Ball healthy and find someone to supplement him ... at least the specter of winning 8-9 games in 2007 becomes realistic.

Sign Trent, deal Charlie for whatever you can get. Chances are that you can get back for Frye something very similar to what you'd have to give up to get Trent. And clearly, this does not preclude the team from going Quinn or Russell on April 28.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Lebowski » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:42 am

I'm all for getting Green. I think our fifth rounder could do it.

You bring this guy in, and you have more flexibility at #3. QB, RB, OT, and trade downs are all in play. (Flexibility, being the main reason I am still baffled by trading Droughns for a 4th receiver. Phil has now basically made it be known that we have to draft a RB by the fourth round...but I digress...)

I think a trade for Green is much more important if we draft Russell over Quinn. Russell is very raw and likely will not play until the 08 season. Quinn appears to be ready to step in right away, altough he ceiling obviously isn't as high as Russells.

It would be the blind leading the blind if we have Frye and Anderson "tutoring" JaMarkus.
- Lebowski
Lebowski
The Dude

Favorite Player: Z
Least Favorite Player: BE

Unread postby swerb » Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:33 am

Lebowski wrote:I'm all for getting Green. I think our fifth rounder could do it.

You bring this guy in, and you have more flexibility at #3. QB, RB, OT, and trade downs are all in play. (Flexibility, being the main reason I am still baffled by trading Droughns for a 4th receiver. Phil has now basically made it be known that we have to draft a RB by the fourth round...but I digress...)

I think a trade for Green is much more important if we draft Russell over Quinn. Russell is very raw and likely will not play until the 08 season. Quinn appears to be ready to step in right away, altough he ceiling obviously isn't as high as Russells.

It would be the blind leading the blind if we have Frye and Anderson "tutoring" JaMarkus.

Good point on a vet backup being more viable with Russell as opposed to Quinn. Good to see you back on the boards Lebowski.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby furls » Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:02 pm

I would be a big fan of this signing. I am not a big Frye/Anderson supporter and I think Green would be a step in the right direction, albeit not a long term answer. Additionally, signing does not put as much pressure on the Browns to get one of the top two QBs in the draft. I am not sure that there is a QB I would want outside of Quinn and J-Mark, but neither of them is worth trading up for.

I keep having this reoccurring nightmare that Oakland drafts Russell with number one and then the Browns are forced to make a deal with the Lions that involves giving up picks to move up one spot to get a QB. The Browns really need to get some players in the second and third round this year, so they really cannot afford to part with either of those picks.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby consigliere » Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:05 pm

I think, either way, Green makes sense. Whether we trade for him and draft a QB like Russell to sit for a year and watch Green as an understudy.....or if we pass on a young QB in the draft and trade for Green and use him as a two to three year stop-gap until we find the guy.
consigliere

Unread postby Guest » Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:16 pm

If they trade UP to take a QB I will lose my f-ing mind.

Unread postby swerb » Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:17 pm

FightDr wrote:If they trade UP to take a QB I will lose my f-ing mind.

I think there's a good chance of that happening. Im still convinced the two QBs go 1 and 2 in this draft. And Im pretty sure Phil is dead set on getting one of them.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Guest » Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:19 pm

If so, those $1.50 drafts are going to be FLOWING abd FLOWING.

Unread postby swerb » Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:24 pm

FightDr wrote:If so, those $1.50 drafts are going to be FLOWING abd FLOWING.

Look at it this way, nothing can ever be worse than the year they let Matt Millen fleece them out of their 2nd rd pick to move up from 8 to 7 to get KWII.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Dozen » Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:16 am

Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Unread postby mistero » Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:56 am

I think both QB's will be available. Everyone has been saying Calvin Johnson is a perfect WR, best prospect in decades. There are other QB's out there for Al Davis to take off the scrap heap. Johnson goes to Oakland.

I think, and this part is more sketchy, that Detroit tries to trade down but bungles it. I think ,frustrated, they stay put and take Gaines Adams. The guy who has been called the "new Julius Peppers".

Now Phil has both QB's and Peterson. He can trade down but by how much? He knows Russell.He wants Russell.He takes Russell.

That's my gut feeling 4 weeks from the draft.
In Chud We Trust
mistero

Favorite Player: Miller High Life
Least Favorite Player: Natural Light

Unread postby Dozen » Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:41 am

OT a little but does anyone see Quinn/Russel being like Leaf/Manning?

Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Unread postby mistero » Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:40 pm

OT a little but does anyone see Quinn/Russel being like Leaf/Manning?

No, I don't think so. I think both of these guys become good NFL QB's. I see it more like Pennington/McNair. You can win with either, depends who's a better fit for what you do.
In Chud We Trust
mistero

Favorite Player: Miller High Life
Least Favorite Player: Natural Light

Unread postby consigliere » Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:12 am

Heard on ESPN Radio today, it was GameDay with Mel Kiper on, that the Browns have offered the Chiefs a 5th rounder for Green. Chiefs are holding out for a 2nd rounder from someone.
consigliere

Unread postby Guest » Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:14 am

I also heard on ESPN that Green has a contract worked out with Miami and he basically controls where he will go and soon.

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL