Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Thanks 12

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Thanks 12

Unread postby jb » Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:56 am

Notes via 12....

More on two teams in particular:
Browns:
Charlie Frye will be their starting QB. They believe in his ability to lead and want to see what he can do behind a better OL and with a strong running game. That led to me questioning about Adrian Peterson, and I was told by both my friend and by a Browns beat writer that he's a lock pick unless Russell is somehow available. They will sign at least two OL in free agency and will take at least 2 OL in the draft (or one in the 2nd round). They really want both Kris Deilman and Derrick Dockery, because Joe Andruzzi's knee is shot, and they will "aggressively offer" them both big deals. They also will chase after Tully Banta Cain, but he's expected to wind up with the 49ers. I was told this is the Browns ideal draft board:
1st round--Adrian Peterson
2nd--Tony Ugoh or Levi Brown, in that order
3rd--Anthony Spencer or Victor Abiamiri
4th--Troy Smith (yes, it's pretty likely he'll still be there)
5th--Louis Leonard (DT, Fresno) or Jay Richardson (DT/DE, OSU)
6th--a CB with good size
7th--a OG/C from a small school like Andy Alleman or Aaron Danehuaer

While I believe that Charlie Frye is humbug, this does allow me to not have to buy my son another jersey for a year, so we got that going for us, which is nice.

But that's not why I called....

If this be the Browns plan for 07, then I am weeping openly with tears of joy like a little guuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl.

Mix in the Nate Cleamons report & him wanting to return and this is close to my ideal off season.

BTW - Spencer & Abiamiri..... OLB or 3 - 4 DE ?
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

MY bad

Unread postby jb » Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:03 am

meant to hit post reply & use the existing thread
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby yogi » Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:02 am

I like the plan except for the "lack" of addressing the DL.

I would like at least 1 FA signed and 1 draft choice . Robaire Smith or Vonnie Holiday should be looked at. We need a squad of 7 DL to rotate in and out. Maybe the kid we picked up late last year that played at the U will figure in the mix as well. (Orien Harris)

I'm fine with Ted and Roye being 2 of the 7, as long as they're not asked to play more than half the game again.
yogi
Jersey Accent

Unread postby swerb » Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:08 am

yogi wrote:I like the plan except for the "lack" of addressing the DL.

I would like at least 1 FA signed and 1 draft choice . Robaire Smith or Vonnie Holiday should be looked at. We need a squad of 7 DL to rotate in and out. Maybe the kid we picked up late last year that played at the U will figure in the mix as well. (Orien Harris)

I'm fine with Ted and Roye being 2 of the 7, as long as they're not asked to play more than half the game again.

Three things ...

1. I too like this proposed strategy, and it at least appears from the surface that for once, the Browns brass (Phil) is of like mind with the masses.

2. DL, I agree Yog, a disaster. Is there even one guy presently on this team that you can count on to be here in 2009? That said, if they can add Banta-Cain (loved him outta Cal, Browns coulda picked him), Abiamiri, and Richardson ... Id be happy. FYI, Holliday just reupped with the Fins. Same for Sands in Oakland. And Spencer, FWIW, is showing up 1st rd on most mock draft boards now.

3. I disagree on Frye. I hope Im wrong though. Im giddy bout Troy in the 4th.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby furls » Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:39 am

There is NO NO NO Way Spencer is there in the third.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby swerb » Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:47 am

I saw Todd McShay on the tube yesterday, citing DE as the top position in this years draft. Said he strongly feels six will go 1st round.

Gaines Adams, Clemson
Adam Carriker, Nebraska
Jamaal Anderson, Arkansas
Jarvis Moss, Florida
Anthony Spencer, Purdue
Charles Johnson, UGA
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby furls » Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:54 am

My personal rankings:

1.) Gaines Adams
2.) Jamaal Anderson
3.) Anthony Spencer
4.) Jarvis Moss
5.) Adam Carriker
6.) Charles Johnson

I really don't like Spencer in a 3-4 with two gap responsibility. That is not his game. He is a straight 9 Technique DE.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby Dozen » Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:27 am

yogi wrote:I like the plan except for the "lack" of addressing the DL.

While I agree with the dl, its like I said too many holes to fix in one offseason. Scratch Holiday off the list, he just signed a 4yr ext. I hope they re-sign Nick Eason. He really did a nice job IMO and is a very decent backup.
http://www.thesportshole.com

http://www.youtube.com/TheSportsHole

I have never seen so many kok heads all lumped together like that ~ Yhimmie
Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Favorite Player: my son
Least Favorite Player: venomous/bipolar

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL