Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Combine tidbits

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Combine tidbits

Unread postby Dozen » Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:24 pm

NFL | Quinn to work out at Pro Day
Fri, 23 Feb 2007 13:14:42 -0800

During an interview at the NFL Scouting Combine, NFL Draft Prospect QB Brady Quinn (Notre Dame) said he will not be working out for scouts at the event, opting to work out at his school's Pro Day on March 5 instead.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NFL | Combine results: Joe Thomas
Fri, 23 Feb 2007 12:49:33 -0800

The NFL Network reports NFL Draft prospect OL Joe Thomas (Wisconsin) did 28 reps of 225 pounds on the bench press at the NFL Scouting Combine.
-----
NFL | Combine results: Manuel Ramirez
Fri, 23 Feb 2007 12:45:11 -0800

The NFL Network reports NFL Draft prospect OL Manuel Ramirez (Texas Tech) did 40 reps of 225 pounds on the bench press at the NFL Scouting Combine, just five short of the event record.
-----
NFL | Combine results: Antonio Pittman
Fri, 23 Feb 2007 11:46:29 -0800

During his interview at the NFL Scouting Combine, NFL Draft prospect RB Antonio Pittman (Ohio State) said he measured in at 5-foot-11, 207 pounds, bigger than what some personnel expected.
----
NFL | Combine results: Marshawn Lynch
Fri, 23 Feb 2007 11:39:15 -0800

During his interview at the NFL Scouting Combine, NFL Draft prospect RB Marshawn Lynch (California) said he measured in at 5-foot-11, 215 pounds and ran a 4.36 40-yard dash earlier this month. Lynch also said he has talked to the Green Bay Packers, Detroit Lions and Cleveland Browns.
NFL | Combine results: Adrian Peterson
Fri, 23 Feb 2007 11:29:37 -0800

The NFL Network reports NFL draft prospect RB Adrian Peterson (Oklahoma) measured in at 6-foot-1 1/2, 217 pounds at the NFL Scouting Combine Friday, Feb. 23. Peterson commented in an interview he has been working on running with his shoulders lower than before.
----
NFL | Blalock turns in impressive performance on bench press
Fri, 23 Feb 2007 11:23:32 -0800

The NFL Network reports NFL Draft prospect OL Justin Blalock (Texas) did 40 reps of 225 pounds on the bench press at the NFL Combine Friday, Feb. 23, just five short of the event record.
---
NFL | Russell to work out at Pro Day
Fri, 23 Feb 2007 11:18:03 -0800

NFL Draft prospect JaMarcus Russell (LSU) said in an interview on NFL Network Friday, Feb. 23, he will wait until his Pro Day at LSU to work out for scouts instead of working out at the NFL Combine.
http://www.thesportshole.com

http://www.youtube.com/TheSportsHole

I have never seen so many kok heads all lumped together like that ~ Yhimmie
Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Favorite Player: my son
Least Favorite Player: venomous/bipolar

Unread postby Dozen » Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:28 pm

Breaking down the numbers

By: Todd McShay

In the NFL scouting world, 4.3 is the new 4.4. For wide receivers and cornerbacks, running the 40-yard dash in the 4.4-second range is only praiseworthy if you plan on playing running back or linebacker in the NFL.

As far as the "trench men" (offensive and defensive linemen) are concerned, the 40-yard dash has been rendered useless. The 10-yard split is where money is made and lost.

While the 40-yard dash has become the glamour event of the combine, its scouting value varies from one position to the next. Everyone remembers Vernon Davis' incredible performance last year (4.3, but NFL scouts were even more impressed with his results in the 20-yard split (2.52 seconds) and vertical jump (42 inches).

The following is a look at the most important aspect of the combine for each position:

Quarterbacks: Interview process
Scouts don't place much importance on any of the combine drills when evaluating a quarterback's potential. Last year, none of the quarterbacks who finished with the best time in any specific agility drill was selected higher than the fourth round of the draft.

Quarterbacks are not asked to participate in the bench press or 60-yard shuttle, and Vince Young destroyed the validity of the Wonderlic test, as it pertains to a quarterback's mental capacity at the next level.

Height, weight and handspan are all taken into consideration, but the most important aspect of the combine process for quarterbacks is the 15-minute interview they conduct with teams that seek them out. This is when a quarterback can distinguish himself from other prospects with similar skill sets by displaying intellect, leadership skills and mental toughness. A great interview can lead to a follow-up visit to a team's facility during predraft individual workouts.

Running backs: Three-cone drill
The three-cone drill is crucial for running backs because it measures how quickly they can pivot and accelerate. Reggie Bush (Saints), Laurence Maroney (Patriots), DeAngelo Williams (Panthers) and LenDale White (Titans) did not participate in the running portions of last year's combine. It's not surprising that the four other highest-drafted running backs in 2006 -- Joseph Addai (Colts), Maurice Jones-Drew (Jaguars), Brian Calhoun (Lions) and Jerious Norwood (Falcons) -- all cracked the 7.10-second plateau in the three-cone drill.

Wide Receivers: 20-yard split
All the agility and speed drills are vital to wide receivers. While the 40-yard dash is considered an effective measuring stick, the 20-yard split can provide a better indication of a receiver's ability to gain separation from defensive backs off the line of scrimmage.

Marques Colston ran a pedestrian 4.55 in the 40. However, his 20-yard split time (2.62 seconds) was among the best of the receivers who ran. Maybe more stock should have been placed in his initial burst, rather than his top-end speed.

Tight Ends: Vertical jump
The vertical jump is the best indication of a player's short-area explosiveness. Tight ends are rarely the fastest or biggest players on the field, so their ability to explode out of their stance is critical to their success. As mentioned above, Davis set the standard for the 2006 class.

Offensive Linemen: 20-yard shuttle
Arm length, handspan and strength reps on the 225-pound bench press are all important, but the 20-yard shuttle seems to trump all the other measurables when evaluating offensive linemen. The short shuttle is a terrific indicator of how quickly a lineman can shift his weight and move laterally, necessary tools in pass protection and when attempting to hit a moving target as a run-blocker. Nick Mangold (Jets) set the bar for offensive linemen at last year's combine (4.36 seconds).

Defensive Linemen: 10-yard split
Defensive linemen will rarely run 40 yards on a given play, so NFL scouts place much more stock in the first 10 yards. Manny Lawson (49ers) turned in the best time last year (1.53 seconds).

Linebackers: Broad jump and shuttles
The broad jump and shuttles typically provide the best indication of a linebacker's short-area quickness, change-of-direction skill and explosiveness. Not surprisingly, the top two linebackers selected in the 2006 draft -- A.J. Hawk (Packers) and Ernie Sims (Lions) -- were among the elite in both categories. Hawk set the bar for all linebackers in the short shuttle (3.96 seconds) and long shuttle (11.06 seconds), while Sims outleaped all other linebackers with a 10-foot-5-inch broad jump.

Defensive backs: 20-yard and 60-yard shuttles
Both shuttles display a player's change-of-direction skill. The short shuttle measures short-area quickness, while the long shuttle better measures the ability to regain top speed after stopping and starting. Being able to stop and start without losing much in transition is vital to playing defensive back in the NFL.

Jason Allen (Titans), who ran the best short-shuttle time (3.81 seconds) at last year's combine, was the top safety selected in the 2006 draft. The four first-round cornerbacks -- Tye Hill (Rams), Antonio Cromartie (Chargers), Jonathan Joseph (Bengals) and Kelly Jennings (Seahawks) -- all ran sub-4.25 seconds in the 20-yard shuttle, and sub-11.25 seconds in the 60-yard shuttle.

Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Unread postby furls » Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:08 pm

Not that it really matters, but Joe Thomas' bench mark is unimpressive. I think Jay Cutler may have beat him last year. Hell, I could do 12-15 depending on the day. I do not feel as good about him now as I did, although upper body strength is not everything.

I think the right move is to trade down now.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby Dozen » Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:19 pm

NFL | Combine results: Marshawn Lynch
Fri, 23 Feb 2007 11:39:15 -0800

During his interview at the NFL Scouting Combine, NFL Draft prospect RB Marshawn Lynch (California) said he measured in at 5-foot-11, 215 pounds and ran a 4.36 40-yard dash earlier this month. Lynch also said he has talked to the Green Bay Packers, Detroit Lions and Cleveland Browns.

Maybe Savage is thinking the same thing. Lynch isnt a top 5 pick.

Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Unread postby furls » Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:22 pm

I like Marshawn Lynch a lot. He is my favorite back in this year's draft because I think he is going to be among the new prototipical NFL backs, cut from the same cloth as Maurice Jones-Drew and Maroney.

What I can tell you is that he is not a top five pick right now, but he is not going to be there with the third pick in the second round either.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby Dozen » Fri Feb 23, 2007 8:25 pm

I agree

Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Unread postby Dozen » Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:54 pm

Notes from Icness

Sat. morning update:
The Draftees...
Levi Brown is shooting up draft boards. Very bright guy who wasn't afraid to demonstrate how he's capable of improving his game. The Dolphins and Falcons both spent a great deal of time and attention on him, and I think you're going to see most post-Combine mocks reflect that. He's running in about 20 minutes and says he'll run the top shuttle of any T. If he performs well today I can't see any way he's not a top 15 pick and could go as high as 5th.

Joe Staley to the Bears at #31 looks like a lock pick in the manner that everyone knew the Colts were taking Addai down there last year. Once Bears Gm Jerry Angelo finally got done talking about Lovie Smith (the Chicago press is relentless on that), he met personally with Staley and his agent for over 15 minutes.

No idea what they were talking about, but I saw Browns GM Phil Savage and Raiders owner Al Davis sharing a laugh and then talking intently for several minutes. I do know the Browns very much would like Jamarcus Russell, so maybe it's not a lock that Russell goes #1 to the Raiders, but perhaps the Browns.

Brady Quinn is not helping himself at all here. He's not working out and he was a pain in the keister to pretty much everyone who tried to interview him (including me). He appears to be crumbling under the scrutiny and all the attention to his drawbacks--which is precisely why so much negativity is directed at top prospects, to see how they handle it. He's trying to market himself as the most NFL-ready QB in the draft and a guy who can turn a loser into a winner, but he gets real whiny/defensive when his so-so performances in big games gets brought up.

I shook Ben Grubbs hand and I'm still waiting for my wrist to heal. Dude has some serious paw strength. He got a lot of attention from the Patriots and Falcons.

Calvin Johnson weighed in at 239 but looked real good. I've not heard one negative about this guy all weekend.

Michael Bush also looks real good. He's down to 242 but looks much more defined, esp. in his legs. He told me he weighed almost 270 after he got hurt, feeling sorry for himself. He played at about 255 but wants to stay under 245 in the NFL. Real nice guy, talked with me for about 10 minutes and actually remembered talking to me last fall. He believes he's going to be drafted in the 20s or possibly early 30s, and that his interviews with the Steelers, Browns, and Texans went very well.

Antonio Pittman has bulked up to 206, which is about 15 pounds higher than what he played at OSU. You can see the improved definition in his calfs and shoulders. He's touting his blocking and receiving abilities in interviews.

Anthony Gonzalez is another guy moving up draft boards. He claims he's going to run a 4.35 40 but to watch his 20 yard split, that he will be faster than everyone but JL Higgins on that. Gonzalez slighted Troy Smith's accuracy (unintentionally I think) when he talked about how he had to catch everything with hsi hands because the ball was never near his chest. When Browns beatie Jeff Schudel pulled him aside and pointed that out, Gonzalez immediately dispatched his agent staffer to find Smith and clear it up.

Higgins says he's probably not going to replicate his 4.18 40 time of last fall, but he'll be in the low 4.2s. He's touting his willingness to go across the middle and also his return abilities. His college Qb, Jordan Palmer, is quite tall but that's about all he's got going for him, that and his brother Carson.

Sat. evening update:

The linemen ran today, and Joe Thomas is the talk of the town. Ran a sub-5 40 and looked very agile in the 3-cone. There's no way he's not one of the first 2 picks.

Levi Brown on the other hand ran awful, 5.35 in the 40 with an awful 10-yard split. Really sapped his momentum he had been building. Now all those questions about the fire inside and translating it to the field become all the more legit.

Tony Ugoh ran a hair above a 5.0, but it looked like he was going to drop dead right afterwards. Justin Blalock ran a 5.1, which is real impressive for his build. Andy Alleman of Akron was a little faster; I believe he was the fastest G, though that's certainly not a guarantee of success at that position. Alleman had the bench reps record in hand until his hand slipped on the bar, I think he wound up at 38. Manuel Ramirez did 40 reps, and that guy is a physical monster.

One small-school guy who stood out was Alan Barber of MO Southern. Ran a 4.84, looked chiseled at 6'4", 301, did 29 reps, and has a definite chip on his shoulder about being a small-school guy (that's a good thing). Probably a OG in the NFL, but he's got the build to add 20-30 pounds with no problem. The Cowboys and Raiders both seemed real interested.

Everyone is also gaga over Greg Olsen's 40 time, but the 4.47 being widely reported is actually not his official time--it's 4.54. Still real good, though the knock on him is that he can't catch with his hands, so all the speed in the world won't help his status much. He's still no more than a mid-2nd rounder IMO.

Ryan Kalil weighed in almost 20 pounds heavier than at USC but it's all muscle. His previous best reps was 21, and he put up 34 today. He's not as physical or as quick laterally as Nick Mangold, but other than that they equate very well. Probably jumped into the top 40 picks.

Gaines Adams slimmed down some. He actually answered my question to him in his press conference, when I asked him if he'd be happy playing DE in a 3-4.

My Friday evening with some "insiders"...

I spent Friday night trying to pry as much info as possible from a trusted friend who is very well-connected. Several other people whose names you would recognize came by and shared a beer or two, including a mutual agent friend. Here's what I got:
-Adalius Thomas will be a 49er about 10 minutes after FA starts.
-Nate Clements is not enamored with SF and really wants to go home to Cleveland, but he will go wherever he gets paid the most.
-Baltimore is losing Tony Pashos, who will almost certainly wind up in Tennessee.
-Dre Bly is all but dealt to the Steelers, so long as he's convinced they're not dumping the 3-4. Detroit has allowed him to negotiate his own trade but also has given him veto power over deals too--class move by Matt Millen.
-Patrick Kerney to Seattle is very likely, he wants to stick with Mora.
-Charles Grant is ticked about being franchised and is probably going to not report for training camp in hopes of brokering a long-term deal and then a trade out of NO. The Lions were prepared to offer him $$ equal to the franchise tag, but for 4 years.
-Kevin Curtis will either be a Lion or a 49er, though it's believed he'll give the Rams the chance to match
-Tennessee is genuinely torn on what to do with Pacman. There's lots of pressure from around the league to cut him, but they are afraid to let him go for nothing. If he's found in violation of his probation, he's headed to prison for 6-9 months regardless of any additional charges, so their decision could be made for them. One popular rumor has them dealing Pacman for Randy Moss, but I'm assured that's just an off-the-cuff joke taken too seriously by some reporters.
-Cowboys are actively shopping Julius Jones but they want a player and not a pick in return, preferably a veteran S or CB. Cowboys are also looking to trade down in the draft and want players and not more picks.
-Carolina is going to cut Deshaun Foster for cap purposes, but they will not get rid of Lucas or Gamble or Mike Minter.

More on two teams in particular:
Browns:
Charlie Frye will be their starting QB. They believe in his ability to lead and want to see what he can do behind a better OL and with a strong running game. That led to me questioning about Adrian Peterson, and I was told by both my friend and by a Browns beat writer that he's a lock pick unless Russell is somehow available. They will sign at least two OL in free agency and will take at least 2 OL in the draft (or one in the 2nd round). They really want both Kris Deilman and Derrick Dockery, because Joe Andruzzi's knee is shot, and they will "aggressively offer" them both big deals. They also will chase after Tully Banta Cain, but he's expected to wind up with the 49ers. I was told this is the Browns ideal draft board:
1st round--Adrian Peterson
2nd--Tony Ugoh or Levi Brown, in that order
3rd--Anthony Spencer or Victor Abiamiri
4th--Troy Smith (yes, it's pretty likely he'll still be there)
5th--Louis Leonard (DT, Fresno) or Jay Richardson (DT/DE, OSU)
6th--a CB with good size
7th--a OG/C from a small school like Andy Alleman or Aaron Danehuaer

The Browns interest in David Carr has waned, and they will not pay the asking price for either Jones brother, though none of the 3 people we talked with thought the Bears were going to deal Thomas Jones.

Packers:
Ahman Green will be back, and the team is not nearly as high on Marshawn Lynch as all the draft pundits believe they are. They really like Lorenzo Booker or Antonio Pittman in the 2nd round. They are going to make every effort to sign Jerramy Stevens in FA. They will also chase Clements but don't expect to be able to afford him, though they also really like Nick Harper. Expect big things from Brady Poppinga, the Pack is real pleased with him and thinks he can break out as a coverage LB who alternates with Abdul Hodge.

I asked if they were going to load up for one last run with Favre next season, and I was surprised that a very prominent NFL insider (he's on ESPN) strongly believes Favre will play two more seasons. But yes, the Packers are indeed trying to tweak enough to challenge Chicago for the NFC North and make a playoff run. Expect their draft picks to all be NFL-ready guys from big programs and not workout warriors or late bloomers. I said that sounded like Leon Hall or Reggie Nelson in the 1st round, and I was told my thinking is very much in line with what they're trying to do.

Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Unread postby swerb » Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:14 pm

Furls wrote:I like Marshawn Lynch a lot. He is my favorite back in this year's draft because I think he is going to be among the new prototipical NFL backs, cut from the same cloth as Maurice Jones-Drew and Maroney.

What I can tell you is that he is not a top five pick right now, but he is not going to be there with the third pick in the second round either.

I don't know ... one more domestic disturbance, and he may be still be there in the 2nd.

BTW, thanks for posting the combine updates Dozen.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Dozen » Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:35 pm

No prob, at least it raises some topics for discussion. Im not at all thrilled by the Frye comments but wouldnt mind taking a shot at T.Smith in the 4th rd.

Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Unread postby furls » Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:47 pm

What does that mean for D.A.?

and how many retarded plays from scrimmage would it take for the fans to start calling for Troy? I would love to have Troy back in Cleveland, but I am not sure if it is in the Browns best interest to bring a fan favorite (with no NFL experience) to come in as a back up.

Although, if they do take Smith in the 4th round I think that may end up being a pretty good value pick. I really think Troy does have a lot of upside in the NFL and if you can get him in the 4th....

I am not sure if Troy would be in the answer in Cleveland, but I am pretty sure that Frye is not.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby BadBecks » Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:51 pm

I've been reading a few things from other sites...

Brady Quinn REALLY wants to be here.

Rumor has it that Deilman and Steinbach already have deals in place at around 7 million a year that will be announced Mar2rd
-ProFootballTalk.com

If that is true (the latter about the linemen I mean) I hope the Browns are getting in on one of them at least.
"Don't Hassle Me...I'm a Local" - Bob Wiley (shirt)
BadBecks
Kid Cleveland

Favorite Player: Eric Turner
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby Dozen » Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:58 pm

No matter if you have Troy and or D.A. theres gonna be fans who are calling for Fryes head, and while I cant disagree this team isnt gonna solve all its problems in 1 offseason. So I wouldnt put to much into that personally. I would think there would prolly be more irrate fans if they were to pass on him in the 4th rd.

Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Unread postby furls » Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:00 am

I am also intrigued by the tidbits on Pittman.

I think he is a pretty capable back and could actually be an immediate impact player. It will be interesting to see how he runs tomorrow, I think he is faster than people think, but I am not sure if he will run in the 4.4's which is today's 4.5.

Watch for Gonzo to sky rocket up the draft boards tomorrow after some sick times. Right now he is somewhere around 6-8 on most drafts, personally, I think he is more like #2 or so. He is better than Ginn, Jarrett, or Meacham, and has better intangibles than any WR in the draft. THe only thing more impressive than his talent is his work ethic.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby Dozen » Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:29 am

Brady Quinn REALLY wants to be here.

I believe the reason he's been so public about this is his fear of dropping like Lienhart and Rodgers. If Cleveland doesnt take him he loses millions.

Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

I'm too hard on Savage

Unread postby jb » Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:24 am

General Manager Phil Savage said getting the No. 3 pick is good for the Browns on several counts.

"I do think being at No. 3 puts us in a position to get one of our top 3 players," said Savage. "

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/sports/1172309699111490.xml&coll=2

How can u argue w/ that?
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: I'm too hard on Savage

Unread postby consigliere » Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:11 am

JB wrote:General Manager Phil Savage said getting the No. 3 pick is good for the Browns on several counts.

"I do think being at No. 3 puts us in a position to get one of our top 3 players," said Savage. "

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/sports/1172309699111490.xml&coll=2

How can u argue w/ that?

Good Lord. Phil is an insightful guy. :roll :roll:
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby leadpipe » Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:55 am

Dozen, can you run this trade past Savage; Frye to the Broncos for Nash & Williams. Thanks in advance.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby swerb » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:18 am

Pipe, come on man ... that was a little over the line. And I don't offend easy.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby pup » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:34 am

Rumor has it that Deilman and Steinbach already have deals in place at around 7 million a year that will be announced Mar2rd
-ProFootballTalk.com

If that is true (the latter about the linemen I mean) I hope the Browns are getting in on one of them at least.

I would say Deilman is the more likely of the 2 to have a deal in place with us. He has professed his desire to play here, while Steinbech will be willing to wait for best offer. He is the "road grader" this team has been looking for inside, and wants to be a Brown. I would be shocked to not see him and Clements at a presser this weekend holding Browns jerseys.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby Dozen » Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:31 pm

Lead Pipe wrote:Dozen, can you run this trade past Savage; Frye to the Broncos for Nash & Williams. Thanks in advance.

:lol:

Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Unread postby Dozen » Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:39 pm

Sun. Update:

I left Indy Sunday late morning, and once I got home our cable was out so I couldn't post anything. Last minute observations:

Adam Carriker and Gaines Adams were both very impressive, but in completely opposite ways. Carriker showed bulk and strength and talked about how he loves to set tackles up with his strength and then use his footwork and hands to outquick them to the spot. He was receptive to playing DT if asked, but he really got a lot of attention from two teams in the middle of the 1st round who would use him in a 3-4 at DE: Pittsburgh and Dallas. Adams weighed in at 258 and looking very lithe, and enthusiastically embraced the idea of playing OLB in a 3-4, a la Kamerion Wimbley. When asked by one team whom he most compares himself to in the NFL right now, he said Wimbley and Demarcus Ware, both guys who are physical enough to put a hand down and play some DE but have enough speed and instincts to play OLB. Washington spent a great deal of time with him, as did Miami.

Marcus Thomas was very upfront about his off-field rap sheet, and cited Troy Smith as a role model of someone who needed to see the writing on the wall before figuring it all out. Very shrewd move on his part, and it came across as genuine. He's a top 15 player in terms of talent, and might have found his way back into the top 40 picks.

Anthony Spencer has zoomed past Lamarr Woodley, who has bulked up but does not wear it real well. You can forget any thought of Woodley playing OLB; he's a 4-3 DE. Spencer is about the same weight (261) that he played at (255), but he looks more chiseled for a guy whose strength was primarily in his lower body. He's a great interview.

Lawrence Timmons measured quite a bit shorter than expected (barely cleared 6'), and was clearly uncomfortable in team interviews when asked about what he needs to work on to be an NFL success. Actually, quite a few of the LBs were a lot shorter than expected. I haven't seen any LB speed times yet, but if any of those guys (Timmons, Buster Davis, Abbate, Rufus Alexander, Beason) don't put up real impressive numbers in the 40 and more importantly the 3-cone and jumping drills, their stock will plummet. You can either be short or lack quickness, not both. David Harris stood out as looking great, and he's a real sharp cookie too. Posluszny was also a bit shorter than I had him pegged but he looks like he's gained about 10 pounds of useful muscle--his neck is gone.

Jason Hill created quite a buzz with his blazing 40 time, but the shocker to me and some other people here was how slow both Johnnie Lee Higgins and Paul Williams ran. Both those guys were expected in the 4.3 range, and Higgins has allegedly clocked a sub 4.2 time in spring practice. Matt Trannon is quietly moving up some draft boards, ran a 4.55 but his 10- and 20- splits were in line with the 4.4 guys. He's going to make some team happy as a Joe Jurevicius-type WR in the middle rounds. Sidney Rice ran well, probably kept himself a notch above Dwayne Bowe, who had slower splits than anticipated.

On the "existing NFL" front...
Matt Millen went into the 49ers suite and didn't come back out for over an hour.

The Bengals are practically giving away Chris Henry, but nobody wants anything to do with problem children right now, not with the Pacman fiasco. The Panthers turned down Henry for their 5th rounder, and the Panthers are in desperate need of WR help.

The Rams and Saints have spent a lot of time talking to one another. I know the Saints really like Reggie Nelson, so perhaps (just me guessing here) they are trying to move up, dangling Charles Grant, who is going to be a cancerous franchise player?

For lessons on how not to play your cards, see the Vikings. Coach Brad Childress clearly hasn't figured out the media manipulation game; first he declares they have no interest in a QB, then he goes gaga in praising Brady Quinn and says the QB position is open. Everyone knows they want to make changes at WR, yet they don't do anything to play up what they have to generate value. In separate interviews with radio folk, Rick Spielman said they had no interest in moving up, then said the team was very interested in making a move. When asked about Ted Ginn, Spielman (the guy who basically decides whom they pick) gave a 3-word answer: he's real fast. When asked to extrapolate, he then talked about Troy Williamson's speed and Tarvaris Jackson's arm strength. In short, they give the impression they have no idea what they're doing

Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL