Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

KWII has microfracture surgery?

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Unread postby MadThinker88 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:05 pm

Sorry Pup, I have to agree with others/ disagree with you but for other reasons.

There is wanting to know, needing to know and having the right to know. These are 3 different things.

A person's MEDICAL INFORMATION is by law a PRIVATE Matter between himself and the doctor/ insurance company. The patient can be encouraged to release the information to an employer but that information release normally stems from the patient looking for assistance or work release. In those cases, the barest items are provided and even then the info is supposed to be closely guarded (ie not open to everyone everywhere).

Listen, I work in Human Resources/ Personnel and have done so for a couple of different employers. Plenty of times I have supervisors or co-workers wanting more info on why John or Sally is not in but there is a limit on what can be provided. The same mindset is catching up with the entire world of sports. Last week Vic Martinez was sent home for 'non-baseball' related reasons.

I do not see the limited info released on Winslow as an indication that the front office is trying to mislead us. Rather, they are trying to provide what they can as possible. If K2 got in front of a camera and told us he had a surgery to repair microfractures on his knee, then he has made a decision to tell the world. That is his choice and he is not obligated to tell us.
MadThinker88
In Tressel We Trust

Unread postby jdrake10 » Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:08 pm

I said “who cares”, and apparently some do so I stand corrected. I still do not care if I get full disclosure by the Browns organization on the exact moment that something occurs. We are hearing the real details of this surgery 6 weeks later, in the off season, and that is enough for me. You have a point about season ticket sales, but I don’t think Winslow’s surgery is going to make the team suddenly not sell out home games so I don’t think it is that big of a deal.

If Savage has to announce Winslow is out for the season, I will be more concerned with moving forward to address this issue in the draft then dwelling on how the details of the surgery were released. Dwelling on the past in Cleveland is not something I care to do.

The biggest question is why was this secretive? The fact that this was secretive tells me that this was his “last chance” surgery that I have read some of the posts allude to. Further, if details are now being leaked it tells me things may not have turned out so good for Winslow.
jdrake10

Unread postby swerb » Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:26 pm

Sorry Pup, I have to agree with others/ disagree with you but for other reasons.

There is wanting to know, needing to know and having the right to know. These are 3 different things.

A person's MEDICAL INFORMATION is by law a PRIVATE Matter between himself and the doctor/ insurance company. The patient can be encouraged to release the information to an employer but that information release normally stems from the patient looking for assistance or work release. In those cases, the barest items are provided and even then the info is supposed to be closely guarded (ie not open to everyone everywhere).

Not only that, but the Browns were also courting free agents as well.

Who knows, this might be nothing. They still might not now anything. At least not anything definitive.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby leadpipe » Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:30 pm

They are now past the renew date for season tickets.....
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby pup » Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:41 pm

So you are saying Winslow gave them the go ahead and release that he had a scope done, but not microfracture? Or maybe Phil didn't know he had microfracture?

Come on. This was not a "law obiding" move. They lied to: A) not worry a season ticket base that is more and more fed up. B) low ball a potential FA signing or C) slow down the dreaded wow-is-us attitude.

They have done it before. It is now clear that Daylon had microfracture done last September. Which he is not recovered from and doesn't look to be recovering from any time soon.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby Dozen » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:46 pm

Mar. 19 - 7:19 pm et

NFL Network's Adam Schefter reports Kellen Winslow (microfracture knee surgery) has been off crutches for the past two weeks.

Browns trainers are reportedly convinced that he'll be back for summer workouts despite reports that Winslow might sit out the season.

http://www.thesportshole.com

http://www.youtube.com/TheSportsHole

I have never seen so many kok heads all lumped together like that ~ Yhimmie
Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Favorite Player: my son
Least Favorite Player: venomous/bipolar

Unread postby consigliere » Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:31 pm

FWIW, Rizzo is supposed to talk with the guy who broke the KWII out for the year story on the news tonight. Also, supposed to get the Browns reaction to the story.

Probably nothing, but just forwarding along.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby pup » Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:51 am

The Browns reaction is this: This is not news. We have no way of knowing how Kellen's knee reacted to this surgery. He cannot even be evaluated on progress until June . We will let you know any more information when we feel you are ready to handle it. Thanks.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Insurance?

Unread postby jb » Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:30 am

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2806300

RENTON, Wash. -- Seattle general manager Tim Ruskell confirms what was quickly becoming a foregone conclusion: Jerramy Stevens' days with the Seahawks are done.

"I would say it's probably a time for a change of scenery and to move on," Ruskell said Tuesday.

It was only a couple ritas and a bit a weed. :lol:
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

My repost that I put-up on another website also

Unread postby meatloaf2000 » Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:20 am

I don't think he will be back (truly sad cause I think he's a great athlete) but, if he does come back it will be for this year only or maybe next year then medically retire. Think about this fellow fans...Does cartalige grow that fast? Has somebody waved a magical wand over his knee and poof it all grew back? Why would he say he will be ready sooner than expected,when after a year Daylon was let go after he failed his physical for the same surgery? Didn't it take a year for his last surgery and they also say that this is more extensive and alot of players don't recover from this type of surgery? And how many patches can you put on the same tire before it goes flat? Last year he said his knee was 90 percent and what will it be this year 70 or 80 or 85 percent? And if he takes one hard hit in that knee we lost him for the season anyhow and maybe his career, and if you don't believe so then you must still think there is a tooth fairy and majic dust. The Browns can not continue to pay millions of dollars to him. Sure he tied a record with Ozzy but, how many of those catches ended in scores? This by far has been the longest the browns have held on to someone...why? Seems like russian roulette doesn't it? What if they do add another running back and draft a wide receiver or draft both? It would look as though the offense will go in a different direction without K2..Right? Then he can possibly be used in a trade if at all possible and maybe we can get what we can...like a healthy player or another draft pick. As you can tell I am not an optimist when it comes to injuries like this.Taking up a roster spot that can be used by another healthier player should be the direction to take. Maybe they will use the pup rule and wait it out the year to insure he gets healthy. Many directions they can take but, the wise decision is that they either wait a year or trade. Your comments please...
Jimmy the greek lives........
meatloaf2000

Re: My repost that I put-up on another website also

Unread postby Birdieman » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:35 am

LCB and KWII starting out on the PUP list and ultimately moving to IR for the year is a very real possibility, and the best thing to lengthen their playing careers. Both will be healthier in 2008 if they don't play in 2007. Does that factor into Phil and Randy's long term outlook?

Could they eventually believe that Russell/Quinn this year, a RB next year. and an OL in place waiting for LCB in 2008 is the way to go. Another year to bolster the defense, then add 2 healthy offensive stars into the mix, and we're playoff ready in two years.

Sure we'll be bad again in 2007, but that just gets us another real high pick in the 2008 draft, say McFadden? Hmmm....tempting. Is it worth it, assuming they have any choice in the matter?
Birdieman

Unread postby leadpipe » Wed Mar 21, 2007 3:08 pm

What about the fact that if he gets healthy, Daddy's going to take him somewhere else anyway. I believe you will be able to make a case that the organization would have been better off cutting the guy after the motorcycle accident. Before anyone jumps down my throat think about two very possible scenarios 1. He never really regains his health or 2. He leaves for free-agency. Both of these are real possibilities and if one becomes true, and you look at his body of work, all of the sudden this is very poor value for the Browns.

If by chance he gets healthy and becomes a monster, does he strike you as a guy that is going to have any sense of loyalty, even with what the Browns have done for him? He has been privlidged his whole life. He ain't staying if the Browns aren't a SUPER BOWL contender.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby Wolfy » Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:02 pm

KWII has stated several times he is loyal to the Browns for what they have done for him. He is a loyal person from what I have seen from him so far. That being said he hasn’t had to make many loyalty decisions since being here. He may be a soldier or whatever but you cannot nock the guy's loyalty...He hasn’t been put in that scenario so lets just wait and reserve our judgment of the guy. I think he is pretty loyal to the U...Let's just wait and see if this "favor" from the Brownies front office pays off.
Wolfy

Unread postby leadpipe » Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:09 pm

Just my subjective opinion, and I suppose it's based on the modern day athlete as much as it is Winslow. His father medling is my chief concern, it's tough enough with the agent types as it is. I hope my instincts are wrong, and hope he can get healthy.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby FUDU » Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:29 pm

LCB and KWII starting out on the PUP list and ultimately moving to IR for the year is a very real possibility, and the best thing to lengthen their playing careers. Both will be healthier in 2008 if they don't play in 2007. Does that factor into Phil and Randy's long term outlook?

Do you really think LCB will even play a down for our beloved Browns?

To take it a step further if he were to suit up and take the field how can anybody have hopes of a top notch lineman being in that uniform. Sorry but it is highly doubtful that he would return to near the level that he was expected to play at in 2006.

Think about it, a bad injury, a recovery that resembles the war in Iraq and then add he wouldn't have played football for 2+ years. At least with Kellen he returned to show us what he can be even at 85%, sorry I don't want to be pessimistic but for LCB to be in any future thoughts of this team is dangerously optimistic.

The best thing the Browns can do right now is do everything they can to improve with the thought that LCB never even existed in the NFL.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby consigliere » Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:16 am

Heard Savage on the radio this morning....denies that KWII is out for the season and they expect him to be ready for July camp.

But, what surprised me, was Savage saying LeChuck is in Arizona working out and still considering that additional surgery. Says the surgery, if it happens, won't be done until April/May and they if he does have it he will be out the whole season.

I'm wondering why these guys take so long to have these surgeries? Is LeChuck contemplating retirement or what? I don't see why he is thinking about the surgery. Also, how KWII didn't just have his surgery right away when Savage says the knee wasn't right the final month of the season.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby HoodooMan » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:31 pm

I'm wondering why these guys take so long to have these surgeries? Is LeChuck contemplating retirement or what? I don't see why he is thinking about the surgery.

I think I heard at one time that there was some medical reason for this. He needs the time for the staph crap to be fully healed...something like that.

Basically (I think): he can't have the surgery now, so until he can (I think) he has time to think about it.

(Though, I reserve the right to be completely full of crap on this one)
HoodooMan
The King

Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Previous

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL