Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Bentley done forever?

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Bentley done forever?

Unread postby consigliere » Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:05 pm

Good Lord.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6488274

Bentley could undergo more surgery

BEREA, Ohio (AP) - LeCharles Bentley will likely undergo more surgery on a serious knee injury that cost him last season, is jeopardizing another and could end his NFL career.

Cleveland Browns general manager Phil Savage said Bentley is considering another operation to repair the left patellar tendon he tore on the first full-contact play of training camp last summer.
"If he does elect to have the surgery, then obviously he won't be here for 2007 as an active player," said Savage, adding "it's more likely he will have surgery."

A two-time Pro Bowl selection in New Orleans, Bentley signed a six-year, $36 million free agent contract in March to play for the Browns, his hometown team. But he had his first season in Cleveland end freakishly.

While blocking on a running play, Bentley tore his tendon planting his foot. Following surgery, he contracted a staph infection, which caused further damage to his knee and required another operation.

Savage said even if Bentley has a third operation and can't play in '07, the team will carry him on their roster and reassess his condition next year.

"We certainly owe LeCharles an opportunity to see where he's going to be," he said. "This time next year I think we'll have a much clearer picture in terms if he is really a legitimate piece of the puzzle here or has the injury been so devastating that he may never play again."
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby pup » Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:16 pm

:cry :cry: :cry :cry: :cry :cry: :cry :cry:
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby papacass » Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:34 pm

Even if he does come back, he'll never be a pro bowler again. More like a slower version of Hank Fraley.

The LeCharles Bentley the Browns signed is never coming back, regardless of whether Bentley ever takes the field again.

Looks like Savage needs to add center to his shopping list, along with tackle, guard, defensive line, quarterback, cornerback ....

... I can't live that long ....
papacass

Favorite Player: D. Miles jersey
Least Favorite Player: D. Stallworth jersey

Unread postby consigliere » Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:35 pm

The best way all this gets summed up for me is the scene from The Money pit where Hanks laughs hysterically when the bathrub falls through the floor (any of you who have seen this movie know the scene I am talking about....classic). That's me laughing right now. Unreal.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby BadBecks » Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:00 pm

Does that give Charlie Frye the role played by Shelley Long? :::as he's crying hysterically:::

This actually makes Fraley's day as he can now ask for a better deal. Its only fitting for this town. This calls for a happy hour remedy.
BadBecks
Kid Cleveland

Favorite Player: Eric Turner
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby jb » Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:20 am

Did any of yuou seriously not see this coming?

If it means that they have to get serious about re-signing Frahley and drafting o-linemen in the early to mid rounds, so much the better. LeCharles is done for the foreseeable future. If he has a shitload of heart, maybe we see him in 09 with a renegotiated contract competing for C or G .

But the snchor we signed in 06 is gone & not coming back. Move on.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h

Unread postby Big Lu » Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:59 am

So how much money will he actually be paid for "sick pay" for last year and now this year?

I'm sure once one of you post that dollar amount, I won't feel too bad for the dude!

:lol:
Big Lu

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:28 pm

i think the appropriate phrase rhymes with 'clucking bell'
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Unread postby jb » Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:17 pm

Big Lu wrote:So how much money will he actually be paid for "sick pay" for last year and now this year?

I'm sure once one of you post that dollar amount, I won't feel too bad for the dude!

:lol:

FWIW, LCB counts $ 3.4 mil against the cap. Ouch.

Hey - I don't feel bad for him, just us.

Financially, so long as he can pay for his nephews to go to Ignatius so we can stop being St Ed's bitches, I'm not worried about LaChuck. 8) :cool: 8-)
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h

Unread postby swerb » Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:16 pm

It's still almost surreal to me what happened here with LeChuck.

One, to sign a lineman of his ilk. Two, the passion he had to come here and be a Brown in an era when its no longer fashionable. And then, to have him go down for life on literally the first snap of camp.

It all couldn't have gone down any crueler. And it's great evidence for those convinced that we are being punished by a higher power.

I'll never forget it, I was on vacation out in Deep Creek, MD. My cell phone rang 6-7 times in an hour, none of them work calls. When that happens ... either someone has died, a big trade has gone down, or we've suffered a horrific injury.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby comish » Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:43 am

LOL! True that!
"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
comish
Champion of Mediocrity

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL