Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Two Top 10 College Coaches Looking To Make the NFL Jump

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Two Top 10 College Coaches Looking To Make the NFL Jump

Unread postby Guest » Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:06 pm

A little non-Browns related discussion...

Peter King, regarding Jerry Jones' search for the new Cowboys' coach:

Two pre-eminent college coaches sought the job. "I got calls from two of the top coaches in the country, two guys with teams in the Top 10,'' he (Jones) said. "I'm not going to name them because it's a sensitive situation. I have a lot of respect for college coaches, but I didn't think it was the way to go here. It was the learning-on-the-job issue.''

Jones feels the Cowboys are close to being very good, and he didn't want a coach to come in who had no knowledge of the salary cap or the vagaries of NFL coaching and have to adjust while Dallas was trying to win a Super Bowl next year.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/peter_king/02/11/jones/2.html

I wonder who they were.

It could be the teams/coaches he's referring to didn't end up in the Top 10, but let's assume they did. The Top 10 teams were:

1. Florida
2. Ohio State
3. LSU
4. USC
5. Boise State
6. Louisville
7. Wisconsin
8. Michigan
9. Auburn
10. West Virginia

I am ruling out Tressel, because I just don't buy that he would be lobbying for the Cowboys job. Or any NFL job.

Same goes for Llllloyd Carr.

Patrino already made the jump, so it wasn't him.

And I just have a hard time believing Pete Carroll wants to leave his situation to deal with Jerry Jones (not to mention TO). He might jump to the NFL, but not to Dallas.

So that leaves...

Urban Meyer (Florida) - Gee, I wonder if Meyer is ambitious enough to actively call up a Jerry Jones and lobby for the job?

Les Miles (LSU) - well, let's see... I'm looking through his resume, and one of his stints was as TE coach for the Dallas Cowboys. Hmmmmmmm.

Chris Petersen (Boise St.) - He's only been head coach for one year at Boise St., much less a major Division 1 college program, much less the NFL. I just don't see him trying to bite off WAY more than he can chew. But he might jump at the Florida job once (if) Meyer up and bolts.

Bret Bielema (Wisconsin) - Also only has one year as a head coach, and has no NFL experience. Not impossible that he might consider himself "Cowboys ready", but I somehow doubt he was one of the two.

Tommy Tuberville (Auburn) - No NFL experience, and has been coaching at Auburn for a while (I theorize this makes it harder to leave - the comfort factor), but could be, I suppose.

Rich Rodriguez (WV) - I doubt he would leave WVU for any head coaching position anywhere, but never say never. Also has no NFL experience.

My guesses are Miles and Meyer, although I could see it being Miles and Tuberville as well...

Unread postby consigliere » Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:25 pm

I'm betting Jones meant "Top 10 Programs" when he referred to them.....which would slide in possible guys like Stoops, Mack Brown, and the California coach (his name escapes me). Possibly even someone like Kirk Ferentz.

To me, it would have to be Stoops, Carroll, Ferentz, Meyer, or the California coach. I'd bet Stoops was definitely one of them.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby Guest » Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:41 pm

Consigliere wrote:I'm betting Jones meant "Top 10 Programs" when he referred to them.....which would slide in possible guys like Stoops, Mack Brown, and the California coach (his name escapes me). Possibly even someone like Kirk Ferentz.

To me, it would have to be Stoops, Carroll, Ferentz, Meyer, or the California coach. I'd bet Stoops was definitely one of them.

That very well could be, and, if so, I would put Stoops right up there at the top. I think Stoops might be getting sick of all the shit one has to deal with in college... like his starting QB making $300/hour for coming to work and scratching his balls.

I think Ferentz will be looking to jump next year - but probably didn't lobby Jones for the job this year.

I still think Les Miles was one of them. His connection to the Cowboys lends him to feeling "familiar" enough with Jones to call him up.

Unread postby pup » Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:02 pm

I think if it was Stoops, Jones would have listened.

Urban is a no doubter IMO. He has been a whore, and knows it is probably easier to win in the NFL than the SEC.

Les Miles was defenitely rumored to be interested at one pint, so he would not be hard to believe.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby furls » Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:13 pm

I am not sure if even Urban Meyer is a big enough whore to jump jobs again. Seriously, that would make him a job whore of Larry Brown proportions.

I would guess Les Miles and Stoops. Oklahoma has become a minor power now and it would probably be a good time to take off, I think their load is pretty much blown now.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby pup » Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:32 pm

Maybe it was Nick Saban
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby leadpipe » Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:49 am

I don't think you are a coaching whore until you cease to climb the ladder.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby swede » Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:10 pm

Houston Nutt Arkansas.

and Stoops.
swede

Unread postby BadBecks » Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:15 pm

My bet is maybe this happened, but most likely this is courtesy of the Jerry Jones Hype Machine. Afterall, this is Dallas and he was trying to justtify how the hell America's Team ended up with Wade Phillips as head coach.
"Don't Hassle Me...I'm a Local" - Bob Wiley (shirt)
BadBecks
Kid Cleveland

Favorite Player: Eric Turner
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby jb » Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:27 pm

My bet is maybe this happened, but most likely this is courtesy of the Jerry Jones Hype Machine. Afterall, this is Dallas and he was trying to justtify how the hell America's Team ended up with Wade Phillips as head coach.

Rack the everlovin' hell out of that.

Jerruh is a buffoon.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby swerb » Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:57 am

Ya gotta figure Stoops was one of them. The other? Maybe Urban. More likely Les Miles. The Cowboys already won a SB with one overrated college coach, so Miles would have been an appropo choice for them.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL