Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Schottenheimer Fired

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Unread postby General » Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:15 am

The more I think about it the more that I can't stand another season of sleepwalking.
General

Favorite Player: Paul Warfield
Least Favorite Player: 537 Idiots in DC

Thsi is da point

Unread postby jb » Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:18 am

Mackeith wrote:

"So RAC is better? Who do you suggest we get next year that we know can turn us around? "

To me, you hear FO & coach types talking all the time about building up from 53 becasue "it allows you to improve the team."

Would it be an improvement to replace RAC with Marty, yes or no?

Pls don't equivacate . . .
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby General » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:06 am

Make Marty President of Football Operations. "Super Scout" Savage reports to him. He makes all football related decisions...draft, coaches, etc...
General

Unread postby Dozen » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:19 am

How about President? They never filled that when Collins left. Then he could take over next year if need be.
http://www.thesportshole.com

http://www.youtube.com/TheSportsHole

I have never seen so many kok heads all lumped together like that ~ Yhimmie
Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Favorite Player: my son
Least Favorite Player: venomous/bipolar

Unread postby Dozen » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:31 am

Schottenheimer not to be pursued by Browns’ brass
Wednesday, February 14, 2007
By Steve Doerschuk REPOSITORY SPORTS WRITER
Local Sports Headlines

BEREA Not that there wasn’t in-house discussion on Marty Schottenheimer, but the Browns won’t chase him.

Head Coach Romeo Crennel is on thin ice after a 4-12 year. However, the brass decided in January to let Crennel spend 2007 either ratifying his regime or serving as a bridge to the next coach.

Reliable league sources indicate this conclusion will stand, even though Schottenheimer plopped on the market Monday, when the Chargers fired him.

There were arguments for Cleveland pouncing on Schottenheimer, who had a career-best 14-2 season in 2006. He got the Browns to two AFC title games in the 1980s.

On offense, he’d have his recent associate, Rob Chudzinski, in place. Chudzinski jumped to the Browns as offensive coordinator on Jan. 20 after coaching receivers in San Diego the last two seasons.

On defense, Schottenheimer has a background with 3-4 defenses and could make sense of the scheme and players the Browns used in ‘06.

Schottenheimer’s 13 playoff seasons as a head coach — including four in a row with the late 1980s Browns — offset his manhole-sized Super Bowl asterisk. He was 46-31 with the Browns, 104-65-1 with the Chiefs, 8-8 with the Redskins and 45-36 with the Chargers. Those records include an postseason mark of 5-13, with no Super Bowl appearances.

No one has more experience at instilling discipline and laying a foundation. Schottenheimer doesn’t seem ready to retire and might find something poetic about returning to Cleveland.

The arguments on the other side win out.

Hiring Schottenheimer, especially this late in the job-market cycle, would be radical. It would be perceived by some as an intolerable slap in the face to Crennel. It would invite ridicule to a team striving to convey stability.

Schottenheimer is 63. He’d be a two- or three-year bridge to a younger coach. Crennel works better as the bridge because the span can be reduced to one year, if necessary.

Crennel has a sense for how to move forward from a foundation two years in his making. A new coach, even one who knows the ropes, might be doomed to a step backward, an unsavory prospect for a team with a four-year record of 19-45.

Finally, Crennel is still the guy who helped New England win a third Super Bowl just two years ago. Except, he now has two years of head coaching experience.

Bottom line: Crennel must prove to his Browns bosses that the team is on a playoff track, or he won’t be around for 2008. Schottenheimer won’t replace him in 2007.

Reach Repository sports writer Steve Doerschuk at (330) 580-8347 or e-mail: steve.doerschuk@cantonrep.com

http://www.cantonrepository.com/index.p ... CategoryID

Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Unread postby jb » Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:42 pm

Make Marty President of Football Operations. "Super Scout" Savage reports to him. He makes all football related decisions...draft, coaches, etc...

Dude, don't u think that's exactly what u don't want Marty doing?
jb

Unread postby jb » Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:47 pm

Not shooting the messenger, 12, but this makes no logical sense:

Hiring Schottenheimer, especially this late in the job-market cycle, would be radical. It would be perceived by some as an intolerable slap in the face to Crennel. It would invite ridicule to a team striving to convey stability.

Schottenheimer is 63. He’d be a two- or three-year bridge to a younger coach. Crennel works better as the bridge because the span can be reduced to one year, if necessary.

Crennel has a sense for how to move forward from a foundation two years in his making. A new coach, even one who knows the ropes, might be doomed to a step backward, an unsavory prospect for a team with a four-year record of 19-45.

Finally, Crennel is still the guy who helped New England win a third Super Bowl just two years ago. Except, he now has two years of head coaching experience.

Reach Repository sports writer Steve Doerschuk at (330) 580-8347 or e-mail: steve.doerschuk@cantonrep.com

http://www.cantonrepository.com/index.p ... CategoryID[/quote]

First, Marty brings credibility, not diminishes what is't there.

Secondly, even at 63, he's what? 2 or 3 years older than RAC, that's all?

Lastly, this is my fav quote number one:
Crennel has a sense for how to move forward from a foundation two years in his making.

bull f u c k n shit. He hasn't a clue.

Fav quote two:
Finally, Crennel is still the guy who helped New England win a third Super Bowl just two years ago.

Guess that is somehow different for Jeff Davidson? :roll :roll:
jb

Unread postby General » Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:01 pm

It gives a chance to add some credibility and team building knowledge to our "fisher price" front-office, plus we get a guy who has been there (save me "the drive" and "the fumble" stories). IMHFO it is a way to "stealth" build this hobbled organization, because ultimately do I believe in the RAC-Savage team? No. Again I see this move as a surrogate bridge to the post RAC-Savage days that will probably begin sometime in Oct 2007. Just a thought JB, my man.
General

Unread postby jb » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:53 pm

Just a thought JB, my man.

All good General. Just talkin', bro. I Don't mean nuthin' personal by it.

Love Marty and want him coaching here n o w. But to tell you the truth, I am still scarred by his personnel involvement & the resulting decisions 20 years later. :? :-? :???:

I think Marty is at his best with a Peterson, a Smith, an dthat type of guy around him alowing him to focus on what he does as well as anyone in the history of the NFL but for a small handful of the true legends.
jb

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:47 pm

Terry Pluto is on board the "hire Marty in some capacity" bandwagon.

http://www.ohio.com/mld/beaconjournal/16700487.htm
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby General » Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:12 am

LOL, Marty scarred me pretty good. I still watch "the Drive" on ESPN classic and think it will come up different. I remember sitting in that crazy stadium until security asked me to leave that night. Talk about scarred. No hard feelings JB.
General

Unread postby consigliere » Thu Feb 15, 2007 12:54 pm

Did anyone expect our org to make a radical (necessary) move and go after Marty? The points laid out in that article, of which JB expounded upon, are laughable. Whether or not you want Marty is one thing, but how this org can defend putting RAC out there another year is mindboggling to me. In a sick way, I almost hope we suck ass next year so we don't risk a 7-9 or 8-8 season where misleading signs of improvement are shown and RAC is kept ANOTHER YEAR.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby furls » Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:07 pm

In a sick way, I almost hope we suck ass next year so we don't risk a 7-9 or 8-8 season where misleading signs of improvement are shown and RAC is kept ANOTHER YEAR.

funny, I was sort of thinking the same thing.... what if this team is 6-10 next year? I bet that will be enough to save RAC and Savage (so they can win 4-7 the following year).
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby Dozen » Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:07 pm

I know I didnt, Im not saying we shouldnt consider him, just not now. If they were to make a change now I think it would be crucial mistake. They already commited to moving forward and this would show a major disfunction within the organization. I do however think they should at least offer him some kind of title sorta like the tribe did with Buck. Hell, something like that may make 1 of 2 things happen. Either it lights a fire under the players that support Crennel or you have a proven winner in waiting. Actually it could be benificial if he was able to watch this team for a year and make his evaluations rather than in the past where a new coach would basicly have to play out a season to see what the team needs.

Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Unread postby General » Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:09 pm

Dozen, you echo my point, we bring him on immediately in some capacity to monitor the on field comedy and if and when Lerner has the onions to pull the trigger on this, well then a proven winner is in house.
General

Previous

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL