Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

NFL London

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

NFL London

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:52 am

The country's hottest sports ticket of the year looks set to be the NFL game at Wembley Stadium on Sunday, October 28, when the Miami Dolphins host the New York Giants.
In the 72 hours following the NFL's announcement of its first-ever competitive game outside North America, 160,000 fans registered for over half a million tickets; with 100,000 requests in the first 24 hours. The ticket request process will close next Sunday February 18 and comes at least two months before the game goes on sale to the general public.

The ticket registration process was set up as a low-key fan service for registered members of the NFL's UK website. Word soon got out about the soft launch for ticket sales on www.nfllondon2007.com and the website's server crashed several times due to unprecedented traffic.

With Wembley's capacity for the event expected to be set at between 85-90,000, the NFL are now looking at how they can cope with the unexpectedly high level of demand the game.

Alastair Kirkwood, Managing Director of NFL UK, said: "This is an overwhelming response and endorsement of the NFL's decision to play the first regular season game outside North America in London.

"Nearly all these requests have come from UK-based fans. These figures do not take into account the allocation of tickets for Dolphins and Giants fans from the United States, so we anticipate a very quick sell-out when tickets go on sale in the spring.

"The positive reaction of the UK's NFL fans has caused shockwaves over in the States, and this shows the appetite for professional American Football from fans here. In addition we have had fans calling in from across Europe, and as far a field as Australia and New Zealand trying to find out how they can get tickets.

"My focus now is on making sure that all British sports fans, whether they get a ticket or not, have the opportunity to experience some of the excitement of top-level American Football. We are currently planning a series of events featuring current and ex-football stars, cheerleaders and coaches in the run-up to the game.

"Two years ago people were desperately trying to get their hands on Ashes tickets, last year it was all about trying to get to the World Cup in Germany - I believe that 2007's hottest sporting ticket will be for this NFL game at Wembley."

Super Bash, London's Super Bowl Party, was the biggest single Super Bowl event in the world, outside Miami. Now in its fourth year, Sunday night's event was attended by more than 4,000 UK fans who watched the game on big screens at the Battersea Evolution in Battersea Park into the small hours of Monday morning.

Mayor Ken Livingstone who was present at the Super Bash party promised during the party to close down Oxford Street to traffic and put up big-screens across the capital for the weekend of the game which will be shown live on Sky Sports.
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Brantley // Irving
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Unread postby Guest » Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:45 am

Hopefully the Fins and Gints give them a good game. They deserve it after years and years of NFL Europe...

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:52 am

I'm definitely interested in watching this game to see how a large London crowd reacts to American football. With the strong response, they might make the London game an annual event.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby swerb » Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:58 am

Were any details released on how the NFL sold this to the teams involved?

50,000 season tickets times say an average ticket price of $60 is 3 million bucks by my count, as these teams will now only be able to charge season ticket holders for 9 games instead of 10. And that's not even counting all the other ancillary stuff that goes along with a game like beer, food, and merchandise sales.

With only 8 reg season home games, making a team give one up had to be a tough sell.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby leadpipe » Sat Feb 10, 2007 1:37 pm

What type of game would you expect to get from two teams who, from top to bottom have absolutely no interest in being there?
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:33 pm

I'm sure the NFL made it worth their while. Jet lag's gonna suck though.

I do think the teams will care because it is a regular season game. Dropping the game in London would be a negative in the playoff column. That might not me much to Miami but I suspect that the Giants want to make it to the postseason.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby Guest » Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:15 pm

Swerb wrote:Were any details released on how the NFL sold this to the teams involved?

50,000 season tickets times say an average ticket price of $60 is 3 million bucks by my count, as these teams will now only be able to charge season ticket holders for 9 games instead of 10. And that's not even counting all the other ancillary stuff that goes along with a game like beer, food, and merchandise sales.

With only 8 reg season home games, making a team give one up had to be a tough sell.

True. But imagine if the NFL is giving whichever team is the "Home Team" all the revenue from the London game. I'm sure the seats for this game are selling for a lot more than a regular home game would for either team (despite their large markets). And neither Giants Stadium or Dolphins Stadium can hold 90,000.

Plus, it's an extra nationally televised game... I think it was probably an easy sell to the owners.

The fans, on the other hand, lose a home game. They're the ones that get screwed.

Unread postby jb » Wed Feb 14, 2007 5:14 pm

What type of game would you expect to get from two teams who, from top to bottom have absolutely no interest in being there?

About the same as any home Browns game I go to in December when they play a non-playoff team?
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby leadpipe » Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:44 pm

At those games it's the fans that don't really want to be there. The players could care less.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby johnnyo » Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:16 am

Seems to me the Miami fans are getting hosed with this. I'm pretty sure I heard that they will play only seven regular-season games in Miami. If I was a season ticket holder, I would be livid.
Ride it like you stole it.
johnnyo
Stiller Fan

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL