Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Troy Smith AND Ted Ginn Jr.!

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Troy Smith AND Ted Ginn Jr.!

Unread postby Big Lu » Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:29 pm

Troy Smith lobbying Browns to draft him
Heisman Trophy-winning QB wants to play for his hometown team

Updated: 4:13 p.m. ET Jan 30, 2007

CLEVELAND - Usually the one avoiding pressure, Troy Smith is putting the heat on the Cleveland Browns.

Ohio State’s Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback is lobbying his hometown team to select him in April’s NFL draft, and he isn’t missing any chance to remind the Browns that he’ll be available to them soon.

Smith was named the area’s outstanding collegiate athlete at Tuesday night’s Greater Cleveland Sports Awards, and during a taped acceptance speech he thanked the city’s fans for their support.

“Hopefully, I’ll get a chance to represent you guys at the next level with the Cleveland Browns,” he said.

Smith hasn’t hidden his desire to play for the Browns, who after finishing 4-12 last season will pick either third or fourth in April’s draft. During a recent halftime ceremony at an Ohio State basketball game, Smith wore a Browns jacket.

Following a tribute for him at Glenville High School in December, Smith said playing for the Browns would fulfill a lifelong goal.

“I have dreamed about it and talked about it countless times with my mother,” he said. “All she talks about is saving the Browns. If that were to happen, that would be a dream come true because I could stay in the community and give back.”

Last year, Texas quarterback Vince Young made a similar plea to Houston, hoping to play for his hometown team. However, the Texans took defensive end Mario Williams with the No. 1 overall pick instead. Young ended up going to Tennessee at No. 3 and was named the AP Offensive Rookie of the Year after leading the Titans to an 8-8 record.

Most draft experts have forecast Smith being taken in the second or third round. The knock on Smith is that he’s not a prototypical pocket passer and that he’s too small — he was listed at 6-foot-1 on Ohio State’s roster and measured 6-foot at last week’s Senior Bowl.

One of his former high school and college teammates believes Smith is being underestimated.

“He should be a first-round pick,” said Buffalo safety Donte Whitner, the No. 8 pick overall last year by the Bills. “I don’t think there is a problem with his height. He has shown what he can do on the field, he’s a winner. He has won the big games, except for the last one. I believe in him.

“They said the same thing about Drew Brees, but he changed the New Orleans Saints organization around this year.”

Smith didn’t end his college career on a good note as he was roughed up by Florida’s defense in a 41-14 loss in the BCS national championship. However, Browns general manager Phil Savage said Smith’s performance shouldn’t hurt his draft status.

“One game doesn’t make a career,” he said. “It was unfortunate the way it unfolded. That is the only sport that I know of where they take 50 days off and then play the championship. Troy had a terrific career at Ohio State, he won the Heisman Trophy, he’s from Cleveland and well see how the draft unfolds in all of that.”

The Browns seem committed to starting either Charlie Frye or Derek Anderson at quarterback next season, so if they pick a QB, it probably won’t be until the later rounds of the two-day draft on April 28-29.

Frye said he isn’t concerned about the possibility of the Browns bringing in another quarterback.

“If you’re worried about that, you’re worrying about the wrong things,” he said.

Smith isn’t the only Clevelander dreaming of playing for the Browns.

Wide receiver/returner Ted Ginn Jr., Smith’s teammate at Glenville and Ohio State, is skipping his senior college season for the NFL. He, too, said he would like to trade a silver helmet for an orange one.

“It’s always been a dream to play for the Browns,” he said. “Why would I want to go anywhere else but Cleveland?”

Ginn still is wearing a protective walking boot after spraining his left foot in the BCS title game. Ginn said his injury, which happened during a celebration after he returned the opening kickoff for a touchdown, is getting better and that he’ll work out for pro scouts once it’s 100 percent.

He said watching from the sideline on crutches during the Gators’ thrashing of the top-ranked Buckeyes was difficult.

“Oh, man, it was very tough to see my team go down like that and not be able to help them at all,” he said.

© 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Big Lu

Unread postby yogi » Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:47 pm

If we don't pick QB in the 1st round (Quinn or Jamarcus), I have no problem picking Troy the 3rd round pick. Let him, Frye and Derick slug it out.

As far as Ginn, heck, let him go and get drafted by someone else, learn his craft and in 3 or 4 years when he's a FA, come home!
yogi
Jersey Accent

Unread postby Guest » Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:50 pm

Yog,

I would love to get Troy in the 3rd, but I have a feeling he would be gone by then. Perhaps we could trade back to the middle of the 2nd and get him, but just because you want to trade back doesn't mean it will happen.

So, if we want Troy Smith, we'd probably have to get him in the 2nd.

Despite his recent falters, I still like Smith. And I think he's an instant upgrade over Charlie or Derek.

He's just as mobile as Charlie, and has about the same size, but has superior arm strength, and is probably a better decision maker.

He's got just as a strong an arm as Derek, and is much more mobile, and is probably a better decision maker. (echo... echo...)

The only thing either of them has on him is Derek's height.

Still, with all our needs, do we take him at the top of the 2nd...? I'm back and forth on it.

Ginn... we'd have to take him with our 1st pick, which is just too damn high for Ted Ginn, Jr. So, unfortunately, unless we trade back, he's probably not going to be a Brown.

Unread postby consigliere » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:00 pm

FWIW, Kornheiser and Wilborn on PTI yesterday polled each other on the chance the Browns draft Troy Smith. Kornheiser says 80% and Wilborn 100% as he believes the Browns will make the necessary moves to get him (trading up/down, etc)
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby pup » Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:10 pm

I am not normally into this kind of panic pick, but if we let him go in the 2nd and Baltimore decides to take him, well, I don't need to tell any of you how that will turn out.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby leadpipe » Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:54 am

The Browns have brought this pressure upon themselves because of horrible drafts past. Could you imagine what would be happening now if Troy would have lit up Florida?
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:01 am

Could you imagine what would be happening now if Troy would have lit up Florida?

Pigs would be flying.

I'm not too big into the Browns drafting any QB this year. I could live with Troy Smith in the third. We have greater needs than QB so we need to not focus on that position with the first two picks.

As for Ginn, I put us getting him at 0% unless the Browns find some way to pick up another first rounder. He's not going in the Top 4 and if we draft any receiver in the first round it better be Calvin Johnson. If it's not Johnson then we should have drafted another position.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby consigliere » Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:42 am

Mr. MacPhisto wrote:We have greater needs than QB so we need to not focus on that position with the first two picks.

QB is one of the top 4 needs on this team. With o-line maybe getting the highest priority, Qb, the secondary and d-line all are interchangeable as far as the ranking of importance from 2-4 goes to me. To say we have greater needs than at QB is not true.

Maybe they pick up some vet schmuck like Plummer or Schaub for this year and target a QB high in the draft next year....or take a QB high this year....but I believe (hope) they have the smarts not to go into the season with Frye and Anderson as your top 2 QBs.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby Dozen » Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:21 am

Schaub isnt going to leave Alt. Not with all the on/off the field problems Vick is having. They will likely give Vick this season to prove himself to the new staff. Schaub is their backup plan. Jake Plummer flat out sux. There is more than one way to fix the Browns problems without placing a so-called order on them. An improved Oline and RB should take pressure off the QB, no? I guess you just have to evaluate the BPA and go from there in FA/DRAFT.
http://www.thesportshole.com

http://www.youtube.com/TheSportsHole

I have never seen so many kok heads all lumped together like that ~ Yhimmie
Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Favorite Player: my son
Least Favorite Player: venomous/bipolar

Unread postby Guest » Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:58 pm

I thought we already had Jake Plummer on our roster.

Oh, wait, that's Charlie Frye. Could've sworn they were the same cat.

Unread postby swede » Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:35 pm

but if we let him go in the 2nd and Baltimore decides to take him, well, I don't need to tell any of you how that will turn out

If you look at Baltimore and their history, them drafting a qb doesn´t worry me one bit. It will turn out nice. For us.

Hiko will love that QB just as much as he loved Boller.[/b]
swede

Unread postby Guest » Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:53 pm

Hiko will love that QB just as much as he loved Boller

I love Boller because he's just so damn bad. His continued suckitude brings me nothing but joy. But he means nothing to me.

I don't want to root for Troy Smith's misery. I like him. If he doesn't go to the Browns, then hopefully he ends up with one of the many teams that I don't give a spit about, where his success will not bother me.

Because if he goes to the Ravens, he is instantly the enemy. If he goes to Baltimore and fails, then I'll feel bad that a good man got sucked into the purple QB vortex. And if he goes to the Ravens and succeeds, then I will loathe his very existence.

I don't want to hate Troy.

Unread postby swede » Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:58 pm

I love Boller because he's just so damn bad.
I don´t think anyone can misunderstand that. We all do.

I have a feeling that Troy will end up in some place that we hardly ever think about.

The play-offs.

Just kidding.

I´m thinking K.C or Jacksonville.
swede

Unread postby Guest » Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:19 pm

I have a feeling that Troy will end up in some place that we hardly ever think about.

The play-offs.

Could be. Craig Krenzel "led" the Bears to the playoffs a couple years ago.

Joe Germaine "led" the Rams to the playoffs a couple times whenever it was that he was still in STL.

And Stanley Jackson... well, he x-rayed my shoes at the airport a couple months ago.

Unread postby Guest » Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:51 pm

I'm guessing Stanley Jackson would be shining shoes at the airport, scanning your shoes is too much for him.

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL