Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

GBN's Latest Mock - JaMarcus To CTown

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

GBN's Latest Mock - JaMarcus To CTown

Unread postby swerb » Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:44 pm

Best draft site out there IMO ...

Thoughts:

~The more I think about it, the more I remember that the Raiders NEVER do what people think they will. Al Davis still makes this pick, and hes losing it. It could still be one of about 7-8 guys.

~Jamaal Anderson's performance against Wisconsin in the Capital One Bowl, Jarvis Moss's effort against the Bucks, and Amobi Okoye's performance in the Orange vs Wake have entrenched these kids as top 10-12 picks in all mocks now. Browns might take a look at these kids. Everyone assumes Branch if its a DL.

~Ginn and Steve Smith in Carolina?

~Alot of new names in the bottom of the 1st round.

~Bears can't possibly take another DT name "Tank" after their current one has been arrested 3 times in the last 9 months, can they?

http://www.gbnreport.com/2007projection.html

1 Oakland Calvin Johnson WR Georgia Tech
2 Detroit Joe Thomas OT Wisconsin
*3 Cleveland Jamarcus Russell QB LSU
*4 Tampa Bay Brady Quinn QB Notre Dame
5 Arizona Alan Branch DT Michigan
6 Washington Jamaal Anderson DE Arkansas
7 Minnesota Adrian Peterson RB Oklahoma
8 Houston Marshawn Lynch RB California
9 Miami Gaines Adams DE Clemson
10 Atlanta Reggie Nelson FS Florida
11 San Francisco Dwayne Jarrett WR Southern California
12 Buffalo Amobi Okoye DT Louisville
13 St. Louis Jarvis Moss DE Florida
14 Carolina Ted Ginn WR Ohio State
15 Pittsburgh Leon Hall CB Michigan
16 Green Bay Laron Landry DB LSU
17 Jacksonville Sidney Rice WR South Carolina
18 Cincinnati Patrick Willis LB Mississippi
19 Tennessee Darrelle Revis CB Pittsburgh
20 New York Giants Lawrence Timmons LB Florida State
21 Denver Quentin Moses DE Georgia
22 Dallas Marcus McCauley CB Fresno State
23 Kansas City Levi Brown OT Penn State
24 New England (from Seattle) Robert Meacham WR Tennessee
25 New York Jets Fred Bennett CB South Carolina
26 Philadelphia Paul Posluszny LB Penn State
27 New Orleans Zach Miller TE Arizona State
28 New England Aaron Rouse SS Virginia Tech
29 Baltimore Justin Blalock OG Texas
30 San Diego Dwayne Bowe WR LSU
31 Indianapolis Quinn Pitcock DT Ohio State
32 Chicago Tank Tyler DT North Carolina State
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby consigliere » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:38 pm

WOOT WOOT!

This would be awesome.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby wmurphyhh » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:12 am

Wonderful. Another stud QB getting his career shortened by lack of an offensive line. At least we'll have a good shot at Sam Baker or Jake Long next season.

If Joe Thomas is gone, I'd rather take AP.
wmurphyhh
"Murph"

Favorite Player: Joe Haden
Least Favorite Player: Chris Johnson

Unread postby Guest » Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:59 am

That would be horrible
We need a line to block first

Unread postby wmurphyhh » Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:46 am

Either RB or QB will get killed with our current line.
If Thomas isn't available, maybe we go Defense.
wmurphyhh
"Murph"

Favorite Player: Joe Haden
Least Favorite Player: Chris Johnson

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:30 pm

In this situation I would think a trade down opportunity would exist with another team that likes Russell. I could see Minnesota having an interest. Houston might. There are other teams down the line that would like Russell, Johnson, Quinn, Thomas, etc. I'm tending to hope for the trade down.

I personally like Okoye. I think this guy will be an absolute monster as he continues to develop.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby Guest » Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:55 pm

I hear the Texans want AP, don't want to pass on a franchise back 2 years in a row.

Unread postby furls » Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:15 pm

Pass on Russell... he is a PROJECT. Lot's of talent, but needs a ton of work behind a horrid offensive line.

If the Browns are going to draft a QB, I would rather see them take a flier in the 2nd or 3rd round with Troy Smith. His Bowl performance sucked (obviously), but he has been turning heads in senior bowl practice. Drew Stanton has been skyrocketing in practice also.

Personally, I would prefer Stanton or Smith over Quinn or Russell. The Browns could also get lucky and see Levi Brown sitting there early in the second round to help fill the tackle spot if Thomas is gone as this draft predicts.

Personally, I think the Raiders will take Russell and the Lions will take Quinn.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:05 pm

Pass on Russell... he is a PROJECT. Lot's of talent, but needs a ton of work behind a horrid offensive line.

If the Browns are going to draft a QB, I would rather see them take a flier in the 2nd or 3rd round with Troy Smith. His Bowl performance sucked (obviously), but he has been turning heads in senior bowl practice. Drew Stanton has been skyrocketing in practice also.

Personally, I would prefer Stanton or Smith over Quinn or Russell. The Browns could also get lucky and see Levi Brown sitting there early in the second round to help fill the tackle spot if Thomas is gone as this draft predicts.

Personally, I think the Raiders will take Russell and the Lions will take Quinn.

I'm of the same mind, though the Raiders have surprised in the past.

I don't see the need to draft another QB. I like some of the things I've seen from Frye and Anderson. We do need to build the O-Line and it sounds like Savage will be targeting some guys in free agency to help us. I would like to see us bring in a vet QB and am interested in Huard.

The two guys on offense I'd consider in the first round are Peterson and Johnson. We may target RB in free agency and we're not completely bereft of talent in that department. We have plenty at WR but Johnson is one of those special wide receivers. I still would probably favor defense and like Okoye more on the DL than Branch but Branch has the higher value.

I do think this is the first time where the Browns have a very realistic trade down possibility. There will be several marquee players that guys further down the line will be interested in at 3 or 4. If we pick 3rd and Thomas, Peterson, and Johnson are all available then I'd see what kind of competition is out there to trade up. I'd be willing to drop 8-10 spots for extra picks or good talent that's on the block.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Unread postby consigliere » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:03 am

Huard. Wow, Super Bowl here we come. :mrgreen:

Since 2007 is going to be yet another lost season for the browns, I am more than willing to at this point take on a project. Ultimately, this probably won't happen since Phil and Romeo are on the chopping block.....

I've seen enough of Frye and Anderson. Both would make great clipboard holders and backups, but I expect more from the QB position than what I have seen from these two.

Oh well, should make for another 3 months of dead horse beating on what the browns should or should not do with the 1st pick.
consigliere

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:35 pm

Huard. Wow, Super Bowl here we come. :mrgreen:

Since 2007 is going to be yet another lost season for the browns, I am more than willing to at this point take on a project. Ultimately, this probably won't happen since Phil and Romeo are on the chopping block.....

I've seen enough of Frye and Anderson. Both would make great clipboard holders and backups, but I expect more from the QB position than what I have seen from these two.

Oh well, should make for another 3 months of dead horse beating on what the browns should or should not do with the 1st pick.

I don't have any expectations on the Super Bowl this year. Huard is a vet who has shown some ability and can work in various offenses. I wouldn't guarantee him the start.

I haven't seen enough of Frye and Anderson. The talent around them is subpar and the offensive coaching has been highly questionable. Since that may still be a problem it makes not sense to go in another direction at this time. If we actually could create an identity on offense and have some confidence in the coaches then I'm all for it.

If I were going to pick between Russell and Quinn at this point I'd likely go with Quinn, a guy who is more polished and ready to go. I'd rather go with neither and draft defense, the one area of the team that seems to be making some kind of progress.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:18 pm

Don Banks at SI has posted his first mock:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/w ... index.html

He has the Browns taking Thomas.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Unread postby consigliere » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:48 pm

If Russell is gone, I am fine with Thomas or AP. I just can't decide between AP and Thomas.
consigliere

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:02 pm

If I were in a pinch then I'd go with Peterson. Thomas is a great OL prospect but I'm not sure if he's what we need and I'm concerned that he's valued too high.

I'm not sure what offensive system we'll be running. Chud says we'll employ a "run first" attack, but that doesn't mean we won't implement portions of a West Coast style offense. Schaffer would work well in a system like that as would Fraley if we re-sign him). We really need to strengthen the Guards and it appears that we will pursue SD's premiere LG in free agency.

I do really like Peterson and believe he is probably the best overall talent in the draft. I'd hate to pass on him like we did with LT in 2001.

That said, I still would prefer a trade down and I think Michael Bush may be around in the second round. A major issue is that some of the help we need (secondary, DL, etc) is rated lower than our pick. We could go with Branch but I'm not sure how well he'd fit at NT in the 3-4. Will we still run the 3-4 if Romeo is out after the season?
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Unread postby pup » Fri Jan 26, 2007 6:22 pm

Thomas is a great OL prospect but I'm not sure if he's what we need

Ever watch a Browns game? :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby furls » Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:42 pm

Will we still run the 3-4 if Romeo is out after the season?

I doubt it. The 3-4 is the en vogue system of today, and for good reason, it is a very versatile defense that allows you to "blitz" a 4th guy from different spots on every down. Unfortunately it requires players with very VERY specific characteristics across the D-Line and particularly at NT and OLB.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:18 pm

I doubt it. The 3-4 is the en vogue system of today, and for good reason, it is a very versatile defense that allows you to "blitz" a 4th guy from different spots on every down. Unfortunately it requires players with very VERY specific characteristics across the D-Line and particularly at NT and OLB.

I suspect that too so that would make Branch or Okoye possibilities at DT, but will Savage draft for the future.

The truly en vogue system is the Tampa 2 with several Dungy proteges now head coaches and Monte Kiffin still in Tampa.

With the offense in flux and the new system possibly only having a short stay, I'd favor getting defensive help above all.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Unread postby swerb » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:05 pm

To me right now, I think the Browns have to go with either Brady Quinn or Joe Thomas.

Quinn's going to be a great NFL QB. I know its fashionable to label this kid a bust. Everyone hates ND. You have the Mirer precedent. This kid is the prototype. Size, strength, smarts, great arm, familiarity with a pro offense. If the Raiders and Lions pass on him, they will live to regret it in my view. if hes there for the Browns, you cannot pass on the chance to get a franchise QB with such a low bust likelihood ala Carson Palmer.

Russell is intriguing, but too risky for this franchise right now. He's going to need some time, and he's a roll of the dice. People were salivating similarly over Culpepper and Leftwich, and now 5 years later, neither has been worthy of a top pick.

If Quinn is gone, you take your medicine and take the best lineman off the board. I saw Thomas play alot this year, and hes ready to play LT right now, and will be a good one.

If Quinn is the pick, I would literally spend the next 3-4 picks on offensive and defensive linemen.

Will be interesting to see how things bear out.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby leadpipe » Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:27 am

There is little comparison to Carson Palmer and Brady Quinn. One look at Quinn's step-up games is enough to make you sick.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby swerb » Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:47 am

Quinn was a member of an overrated Notre Dame team that too much was expected of, a team that was thrust into bowl games against foes they had no business playing, but did, due to their dollar drawing ability.

Don't get me wrong, I hate ND as much as the next guy, and was no fan of Quinn in college. I see the kid, I see a very good NFL QB though. I could be wrong.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby consigliere » Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:52 am

I'm still on the fence with Quinn. And, I think a lot of that is in large part because I loathe ND.

I'm slowly warming up to Quinn, and possibly in the coming weeks I'll be hootin and hollerin for him to be the 1st pick instead of Russell. I guess right now it would be safe to say I want one of the two QBs with the 1st pick, and then flip a coin between Thomas and AP if the QBs are gone when we pick.
consigliere

Unread postby pup » Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:10 am

Could anything be better for Brady Quinn's chances to be a Hall of f ame QB than being passed over by the Raiders/Lions/Browns collectively? If he is that fortunate, he could be the next QB to lead an undefeated team :lol: :lol:

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby Dozen » Sat Jan 27, 2007 10:24 am

I'm still on the fence with Quinn. And, I think a lot of that is in large part because I loathe ND.

I'm slowly warming up to Quinn, and possibly in the coming weeks I'll be hootin and hollerin for him to be the 1st pick instead of Russell. I guess right now it would be safe to say I want one of the two QBs with the 1st pick, and then flip a coin between Thomas and AP if the QBs are gone when we pick.

Can you name 1 big game Quinn ever won in college? ANY? Quinn is kinda like the cavs in the east, he is one of the top qb's in a diluted qb draft. They will go Thomas or AP.
http://www.thesportshole.com

http://www.youtube.com/TheSportsHole

I have never seen so many kok heads all lumped together like that ~ Yhimmie
Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Favorite Player: my son
Least Favorite Player: venomous/bipolar

Unread postby consigliere » Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:05 pm

Dozen wrote:Can you name 1 big game Quinn ever won in college? ANY? Quinn is kinda like the cavs in the east, he is one of the top qb's in a diluted qb draft. They will go Thomas or AP.

Which is the same knock Peyton Manning got. Or Donovan McNabb. Those guys never won "big games." What big games did Tom Brady ever win at Michigan?

I think the whole "won big games" is a gross over-statement, and an unfair criticism that is only applied to QBs. No one ever worries about how a WR, RB, OT, LB or other position player fared in big games....it is just the QB.
consigliere

Unread postby pup » Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:00 pm

No one ever worries about how a WR, RB, OT, LB or other position player fared in big games....it is just the QB.

While I agree 100% with what you said, it is a necesarry evil when rating QB's. Quarterbacks are the leaders of a football team. If they cannot get big performances done in big games, then you have to worry about there ability to play on a big stage. This, however, would never stop me from drafting a QB, especially one who (as Swerb said) had the deck stacked against him. Notre Dame had very little talent to go with Quinn, and it showed in the way he was harrassed against top competition.

I would go as far as saying if you put Quinn on LSU, they play the Buckeyes for the NC, while Russell would have been 9-3 at Notre Dumb.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL