Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

If I were Phil Savage...

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

If I were Phil Savage...

Unread postby wmurphyhh » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:19 am

I liked Pup's article and his ideas.
All season I've complained that the offensive line needs to be addressed. Pup made that a point in his article. One comment though -
If Savage signs Steinbach, he doesn't draft Thomas.

While I hope that isn't true...I agree that we need both of them. I just believe Phil will think if he signs Steinbach in FA that he fixed the problem and can address another need in the draft.

Then we look at the hiring of Chud. He's got his Gates in Winslow. Don't you think he'll make an argument to get his LT in AP ?
wmurphyhh
"Murph"

Favorite Player: Joe Haden
Least Favorite Player: Chris Johnson

Unread postby swerb » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:40 am

Then we look at the hiring of Chud. He's got his Gates in Winslow. Don't you think he'll make an argument to get his LT in AP ?

Tough to say how much say they will give the still wet behind the ears Chud on the #1 pick. But considering Romeo doesn't know shite about offense, it's reasonable to assume that Chus will have as much say as anyone behind Phil, who will ultimately be the one pullin the trigger.

San Diego, like New England, is one of those teams that has been thoroughly unable to do what the Browns haven't: build an excellent offensive line without #1 picks and high priced free agents.

Conventional wisdom would definitely be that Chud will be big time in the Adrian Peterson camp.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby furls » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:05 am

If he is smart, and he has seen any film on the Browns this year, he will be in the "O-Line Camp."
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby wmurphyhh » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:20 am

If he is smart

If he is smart, he would have stayed in San Diego!
wmurphyhh
"Murph"

Favorite Player: Joe Haden
Least Favorite Player: Chris Johnson

Unread postby The Score » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:17 pm

I think it is possible that Peterson drops to number 8. I think that the reason he debated coming out so much is because his draft prediction from the NFL was lower than he wanted and significantly less money.

Of course, the report also could have said he would go number 3 to Cleveland and he didn't like that either.
The Score

Unread postby yogi » Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:06 pm

Tough to say how much say they will give the still wet behind the ears Chud on the #1 pick. But considering Romeo doesn't know shite about offense,

Geez, you guys all carry on as if RAC was an idiot. Especially when it comes to offense.

But let me make a point that just by designing and creating defenses to stop opposing offenses and players, the man has to know what he likes and doesn't like in offensive players. He's got eyes and has been around football a long time. He's learned from some of the best.

The man's got this far in his life based on real work and the skill he has. He may not be HC material, I'll grant you that, but he's not an idiot, didn't get the job because of his color or age.

He can get us a legit Defense and if Chud is the right man to lead the O, I think we'll be on the right track.
yogi
Jersey Accent

Unread postby pup » Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:41 pm

Rack Yogi
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby leadpipe » Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:56 pm

I'm not a Crennell basher. I'm not sure it matters who coached the team the last few years, however, let's make one thing clear; Bill Beilichick, the greatest defensive mind of our time, the biggest micro manager in the history of the league, Do you think for one moment he wasn't calling the shots on defense for the Patriots? Crennell, was a player's coach there, the team loved him and he certainly is no moron. But Belechik ran and still runs the defense and will continue to do so on any team he is involved with. If all Crennell has to do is find someone to shape up the offense and away we go..... I think that's short sighted.

Also, look down deep fellas, do you really think Rob Chudzinski in the answer?
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby pup » Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:11 pm

2004:

New England with RAC as DC finishes #2 in scoring defense
Cleveland Browns without RAC finish #24 in scoring defense

2005:

New England without RAC as DC finishes #17 in scoring defense
Cleveland Browns with RAC finish #11

Maybe Romeo has some knowledge as far as defenses go.

In his 1 year as Browns DC, the Browns improved in nearly EVERY statistical category in the NFL, and regressed after he left.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby swerb » Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:19 pm

Yogi, Crennel by his own admission had little to nothing to do with the offense this year.

And in the season ending presser Savage said two different times that Romeo was going to be "more involved with the offense" in 2007.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby leadpipe » Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:59 pm

Pup, I've been reading your posts. Your smarter than that. How bout listing the 25 defensive backs the Pats had to use in '05. Again, I'm not saying Crennel knows zero. What I am saying is that Bill Belichick runs the defense for EVERY team he coaches. There is simply no doubt about it.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby pup » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:35 pm

How many did the Browns have this year? Without an offense to sustain drives and keep them off the field. I am not doubting Belicheck's genius. He has done a great job of convincing his players he lnows everything. That is what is important for him. The scheme is teachable and if anyone else in the NFL knows it, besides Bill, it is RAC.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL