Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

New OC

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

New OC

Unread postby Dozen » Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:19 am

Chudzinski named offensive coordinator
Zac Jackson, Staff Writer
The Browns have hired a familiar face to be their offensive coordinator.

Rob Chudzinski, an Ohio native who coached the Browns' tight ends in 2004, will be introduced at a Saturday press conference. He spent the last two seasons as the Chargers' tight ends coach and interviewed with the Browns this week after the Chargers were eliminated from the AFC Playoffs.

The job gives Chudzinski his first full-time chance to be an NFL coordinator; he served as offensive coordinator under interim coach Terry Robiskie for the final five games of the 2004 season.

He was the offensive coordinator and tight ends coach at his alma mater, the University of Miami, from 2001-03 - Kellen Winslow's three seasons there - following five years (1996-2000) as the tight ends coach. Miami won the national championship in 2001 with current Browns quarterback Ken Dorsey as the starter.

A native of Toledo, Chudzinski will be 39 this spring. He began his coaching career as a graduate assistant at Miami in 1994, serving in that role for two years before being named tight ends coach.

He played tight end at Miami from 1986-90, earned three letters, and was a member of two national championship teams (1987 and 1989). He graduated with a B.A. in business administration in 1990 and earned a MBA in 1996.
Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Favorite Player: my son
Least Favorite Player: venomous/bipolar

Unread postby consigliere » Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:42 am

Yawn.

How about we go out and get an innovative offensive guru or break the bank on a top OC from another team or college?
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby Dozen » Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:48 am

Kinda hard with the speculation about Romeo's future IMO. I dont mind this hire at all. It's kind of funny how we are polar opposites with our outlooks on the Browns and tribe. :lol: This also leads me to believe Droughns days could be numbered if he brings anything close to that SD offense. Maybe Peterson is gonna be the guy! :thumleft:
Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Unread postby pup » Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:58 pm

Well, Chud has called plays before, leading the University of Miami to top 10 finishes in points scored in his 3 years calling their plays.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby consigliere » Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:10 pm

He also called plays for the Browns before, and was nothing special.
consigliere

Unread postby Dozen » Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:13 pm

Just got done watching his press conference and I came away impressed. But, they could bring Infante back and it wouldnt matter with our o-line.
Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Unread postby Dozen » Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:15 pm

He also called plays for the Browns before, and was nothing special.

Dont be nieve to judge him on 4 games at the end to that season. Look at his career.
Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Unread postby consigliere » Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:18 pm

We'll see. I think that the fact he looks good is a testament how bad the Browns are right now on the field and with the coaching staff. Anything we add looks good.

We've been down this road before when we hired Arians and others where myself and other fans liked his potential.

We'll see. But I am hugely skeptical as a Browns fan at this point since this org is stuck in a rudderless suck.
consigliere

Unread postby pup » Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:50 pm

So who could they have hired that would have amde you happy? You could make the same comments no matter who they picked.

They wanted someone who had called plays before, effectively, and he has.

I will tell you one thing, we no longer have to worry about KW2 being on the sidelines for 3rd and 7 plays. Chud and Winslow have a great realtionship, and that should help in getting his voice heard in the locker room.

He will run the ball and use the tight ends. He will be an aggresive play caller and try to attack defenses instead of having the offense look scared to try to make a play.

I think it is a great choice. He may have been hired as the OC right after RAC was hired if he would have been willing to wait around until the Browns officially hired their coach.

It is also believed he would have been the front runner to take over the Chargers OC duties, but his Ohio roots brought him back here.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby Dozen » Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:04 pm

I agree pup :eek :shock: , he's a young guy with basicly a short window to prove himself. He should be very agressive and creative which is something they have lacked forever. :bounce:
Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Unread postby consigliere » Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:59 am

I'm taking a wait and see approach. No way am I labeling this a great hire. How many times have we said that as Browns fans with FAs, head coaches, GMs, and assistants only to have them blow up?

When I see some results through 5-6 games next year, I'll chime in then. Until then, this signing gets an incomplete from me. I just have become numb to any and all Browns signings because of how awful we have been.....it looks good, but is this yet another example in this town of Lucy setting up Charlie to miss the football yet again?

The guy has the credentials, and I like what he brings....buth whether I really think this guy turns into anything special, or is another Bruce Arians....who knows.
consigliere

Unread postby The Score » Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:16 am

I like the hire.

Chud was basically in line to be the OC for the Chargers once Cameron left and he chose to come to the Browns anyway.

He was good at Miami, and if nothing else he knows how to correctly use the TE position and more specifically Winslow.

He's the guy I wanted all along. I was mad when they retained Robiskie and not Chud when Romeo took over.
The Score

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL