Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Thin-skinned owner

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Thin-skinned owner

Unread postby consigliere » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:50 am

Gary is spot on. Excellent piece today by him. To me, the problems with the Browns start at the top and that is the owner. He either needs to make a radical adjustment in his handling of this team and connection to the fans....or he has to sell.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby pup » Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:26 pm

I still don't get this. How does Randy Lerner being around in any way make the Cleveland Browns a better football team?

He has very little knowldege of football, so his opinions would just be regurgitation of what Phil thinks/says.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby gdbenz » Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:28 pm

What I would say to Pup, and others, is that the man at the top of any business doesn't necessarily have to have intimate knowledge of each and every aspect of the operation in order to set in place a winning culture. In fact, it's rare that the CEO (or in this case, the owner) would have such in-depth knowledge. Lerner is to be commended for letting the "football people" run the football things. But that is no excuse for essentially abdicating any responsibility for putting in place a culture and imperative that will breed a winning team. In Lerner's case, he may have been thrust into ownership unwittingly when his Dad passed away, but he's been at the helm long enough now where that ceases to be an excuse.
gdbenz

Unread postby pup » Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:51 pm

Gotta say that is the best anyone has put there reasoning.

I still say Randy has nearly no direct impact on this team winning or losing on Sundays, but I can at least see the point you are making.

His responsibility, in my eyes, is to pay the bills. The rest falls on Phil's ability to spend the money on the right bills. If the results are poor, then it becomes Randy's job to find someone that pays the bills better.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby Dozen » Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:40 pm

Something else to consider here is that Savage is JR.'s 1st hire right? He took over after Butchie was already here. He made a mistake with Collins but he's long gone. I'm giving them 1 more year to see what we look like. If they dont improve then action must be taken. I would still rather have an owner trying and spending his money compared to a local asshole who can barely afford middle aged injury prone players.
Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Favorite Player: my son
Least Favorite Player: venomous/bipolar

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL