Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

New Mock Top 10, All Picks Seem To Make Sense

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

New Mock Top 10, All Picks Seem To Make Sense

Unread postby swerb » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:31 am

http://www.nfldraftblitz.com/mock_draft.htm

1. Oakland Raiders - JaMarcus Russell (QB) LSU:

Analysis: Oakland is definitely a team in absolute shambles. Even though they just signed Brooks, last year, Al Davis will fall in love with the cannon on Russell. JaMarcus Russell is a little raw, but he has improved immensely over the past year and has an amazing upside. Look for Al Davis to grab this rocket- armed quarterback to anchor his team for many years to come.

2. Detroit Lions - Brady Quinn (QB) Notre Dame:

Analysis: Another easy pick here. While the Lions desperately need offensive line, franchise quarterbacks don't come around all day. Quinn has all the qualities you love to see in a quarterback. He has good size and good arm and is the most cerebral quarterback in the draft. And to those who say “Brady Quinn can't win the big game", remember: That was the same knock on John Elway.

3/4. Cleveland Browns - Adrian Peterson (RB) Oklahoma

Analysis: This pick is hard to predict. Cleveland has bigger needs than a running back, but this franchise still feels scorned after passing on LT a few years back. Regardless, Adrian Peterson will definitely upgrade the running game. He has great power and speed. Peterson has rare vision that allows him to get to a hole very quickly. Peterson’s presence will take a lot of pressure off of Charlie Frye and allow him to manage games, instead of try to win them.

3/4. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Calvin Johnson (WR) Georgia Tech

Analysis: The Buccaneers are a team that is struggling to find an identity on offense. Galloway is the only really consistent weapon and he is getting older. Calvin Johnson can step in and be a force to be reckoned with. He has great hands and can run any route. Calvin Johnson continues to work hard and is a consummate team player. It is rare to see a star wide receiver that is not a primadonna, these days. Look for Johnson to make an immediate impact in Tampa.

5. Arizona Cardinals - Joe Thomas (OT) Wisconsin

Analysis: This pick is as close to a no brainer as it gets. Arizona’s offensive line is the one thing that is really holding the team back. They are awful. Joe Thomas would have been a top 15 pick last year before he got hurt. This year, he made a full recovery and is the best tackle in the draft. Thomas is athletic and could probably move to right tackle to protect Leinart’s blindside. Thomas will be a good starting point to rebuild the much maligned offensive line.

6. Washington Redskins - Gaines Adams (DE) Clemson

Analysis: The Redskins are jumping with glee when they see Adams is still on the board. Gaines is the best defensive player in the draft, this year. He draws great similarities to Jason Taylor. He compliments great athleticism with a high motor. The most impressive quality is his ability to play the run. With the Redskins being last in the NFL in sacks, Gaines Adams will add a much needed presence on the defensive line.

7. Minnesota Vikings - Dwayne Jarrett (WR) USC

Analysis: While Johnson is the number 1 receiver in the draft; Dwayne Jarrett may be 1b. He is not the fastest receiver, but he catches anything in the vicinity. Jarrett runs great routes for a man his size and can adjust as well as anyone in the draft. The Vikings lack any playmakers on the offensive side of the ball. Expect to see Jarrett step in from day one and contribute. As awful as the receiver class was last year; it is that strong this year.

8. Houston Texans - Alan Branch (DT) Michigan

Analysis: Last year, Gary Kubiak, and the Houston front office, made a concerted effort to build this team’s defense. Mario Williams played a lot better than his stats showed and Demeco Ryans was the NFL Defensive Rookie of the Year. That sentiment should be echoed throughout this draft as well. Alan Branch would be a great compliment to Mario Williams. He would draw away double team and could stuff the run as well as rush the passer. Branch is the best defensive tackle in the draft and will no doubt be a force to be reckoned with at the next level.

9. Miami Dolphins - Leon Hall (CB) Michigan

Analysis: While the Miami front seven is one of the best in football, the secondary needs a lot of work. They safeties are average and the corners are probably below average. If they want to achieve respectability, they need work on getting the secondary patched up. Leon Hall would be a great corner to assist them. He had a tough game against Ohio State, but he is still perhaps the best corner in the draft. Look for him to be very physical and give the pass rush even more time to get to the quarterback. He has a knack for making plays and will make quite a few at the next level.

10. Atlanta Falcons - Jamaal Anderson (DE) Arkansas

Analysis: It remains to be seen if Bobby Petrino was a good hire; but this team is too talented to be drafting at #10. While many will blame Vick for the teams collapse, much of the blame has to go squarely on the defense. There is great turmoil on a defense that could not stop anyone. Defensive end is a question mark for the Falcons. Kearney will be a free agent soon and John Abraham is never healthy. Another defensive end could definitely be used. Anderson is a guy with good size and so much athleticism that he was recruited as receiver! He also has the size to play defensive tackle on nickel situations. He is an all around great player and should do very well at the next level.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby consigliere » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:33 am

One thing is certain....the Browns are going to get a pretty good player with their pick. I want Russell in the worst way.....but would be happy with AP or Thomas if he is gone.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby pup » Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:24 pm

The Browns will draft a player that will be ready to play in game 1 next year, which I don't think Russell is.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby furls » Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:41 pm

I wouldnt be surprised to see the falcons go WR (Ginn or Jarrett), whoever is left, at ten. I think a lot of that hinges on whether Ginn is able to run at Ohio State's Pro Day in March. If he runs, he could pass Jarrett (if the number is good enough).

The knock on Jarrett right now is that he comes from the T.O./B.E. mold of primadonna WR, and those types have suddenly lost their "palatability" in the NFL.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:43 am

So much depends on what direction the Browns head on offense. Some of the reports out there indicate that Phil is looking at implementing the West Coast Offense (mainly the insiders at the OBR are saying this, but the guys saying it are in the know). If that's the case it changes the strategy. I'm not sure I'd draft Thomas if we use the WCO because I don't think he's suited as well for it. Schaffer actually works fairly well in that style of system, as does Fraley at center.

When they brought up the whole WCO thing it made me look at the offensive roster again and realize that we have A LOT of guys that likely would work well or have worked well in a West Coast system. Droughns played in Denver. Harrison likely would fit in. Jurevicius did very well in Seattle. I think Braylon and KW2 could work in the system. Derek Anderson likely could. I'm not too sure about Frye, though - but I think Damon Huard could come in as a free agent and run it.

Calvin Johnson would be awfully tempting if we do move in that direction and, while I like Peterson a lot, I'm not sure he'd be the pick. We could go defense in the first.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby consigliere » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:49 am

Furls wrote:I wouldnt be surprised to see the falcons go WR (Ginn or Jarrett), whoever is left, at ten. I think a lot of that hinges on whether Ginn is able to run at Ohio State's Pro Day in March. If he runs, he could pass Jarrett (if the number is good enough).

If a team passes on Jarrett for Ginn, they are idiots. I like Ginn, but the guy is not a very good WR. All speed with average hands. If you ask me, Ginn is Ashley Lelie Part II.
consigliere

Unread postby pup » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:12 am

But Jarrett is Mike Williams part 2.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby consigliere » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:17 am

Then pass on both. Ginn will not be a very good NFL receiver.
consigliere

Unread postby Dozen » Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:33 pm

:roll :roll:
Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Favorite Player: my son
Least Favorite Player: venomous/bipolar

Unread postby thedirtceo » Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:15 pm

Ginn will not be an NFL player past week 9....

Gonzalez is a better route runner.

Don't be surprised to see Roy Hall get taken in the 5th rd or so because of his athletic ability and size/strength.

BTW - Adrian Peterson cannot stay healthy, so you are right, the Clowns will draft him. Pittman will have more success in the NFL
thedirtceo
Thread Killer

Unread postby furls » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:43 pm

so you are predicting Ginn will be cut in the ninth week? Doubtful. He will be a top 15 pick. I am not saying he will be a good receiver, he could still develop into one, but NFL teams are obsessed with 40 times and Ginn's will be good (if he runs one at the Buckeyes pro-day).

Gonzo is clearly a better receiver already, but Ginn has the hype. Hype goes a long way.

Been saying for this entire season that someone will take a shot at hall as long as he gets decent measurables at the combine.

I am not sold on Peterson's durability either. I don't know if Pittman will have a better career, but I do not think that Peterson will be the best RB in this draft when all is said and done.

I like the Ginn/Lelie comparison, but I prefer to compare him to James Jett. Ginn will be more dangerous than Lelie, he will be like Jett... a guy that is scary on vertical routes and will burn teams deep about 8 times per year.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby Dozen » Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:53 pm

Furls, who do you like out of this years RB's?

I also heard today that Thomas is a former TE :eek :shock: I'm slowly warming up to him, but Still would like Peterson 1st.
Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Unread postby pup » Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:01 pm

I also heard today that Thomas is a former TE I'm slowly warming up to him,

Keep on coming. Of course this is all for not if the Browns improve their line adequately through FA.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby Dozen » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:10 pm

Peterson, Thomas, or Branch are my top 3
Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Unread postby Mr. MacPhisto » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:42 pm

so you are predicting Ginn will be cut in the ninth week? Doubtful. He will be a top 15 pick. I am not saying he will be a good receiver, he could still develop into one, but NFL teams are obsessed with 40 times and Ginn's will be good (if he runs one at the Buckeyes pro-day).

I didn't get the "week 9" quote either. Ginn likely will be able to at least provide some help returning kicks as rookie. He's good at it and is very fast. A team may wait for the receiving portion of his game to develop more. I think he'd be more likely to get picked by a team that needs receiving help but is not desperate at the position. I personally wouldn't pick him top ten because he's not a complete package at WR yet, but I think he's definitely top 20.

Gonzo is clearly a better receiver already, but Ginn has the hype. Hype goes a long way.

I really like Gonzalez and wouldn't mind taking the guy somewhere. I've seen him projected in the second round and we do have greater needs, but he strikes me as a guy who can be at least a good posession receiver in year one.
Mr. MacPhisto
Troll

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: A.J. Pierzynski

Unread postby Dozen » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:45 pm

I think thats JJ's role isnt it? They wont take a WR on day 1 IMO.
Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Unread postby furls » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:59 am

Furls, who do you like out of this years RB's?

I don't like drafting RBs in the top 5, unless it is a once a decade can't miss guy like Reggie Bush (last guy that I can think of before Bush that was a "can't miss" was Marshall Faulk). I don't think Peterson is that guy. I think it has been pretty clearly shown in recent years, that lines and systems make successful running games, running backs actually are not the most important aspect. Look at the Broncos and Steelers for further clarification.

I just don't think that running backs fall off the "talent cliff" like other positions do later in the draft. Look at all the very successful late pick running backs in the league. In this year's draft, my favorite back is actually Marshawn Lynch, he reminds me a lot of Laurence Maroney.

Some positions seem to have a very steep fall off after the first couple of players go, like CBs. I really think the Browns should go with Joe Thomas if he is available as he is the best player available at their worst position and frankly, there are not many other good LTs coming out in this year's draft since both Jake Long and Sam Baker are both returning.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby Dozen » Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:09 pm

don't like drafting RBs in the top 5, unless it is a once a decade can't miss guy like Reggie Bush (last guy that I can think of before Bush that was a "can't miss" was Marshall Faulk). I don't think Peterson is that guy. I think it has been pretty clearly shown in recent years, that lines and systems make successful running games, running backs actually are not the most important aspect. Look at the Broncos and Steelers for further clarification.

LT or LJ?
http://www.thesportshole.com

http://www.youtube.com/TheSportsHole

I have never seen so many kok heads all lumped together like that ~ Yhimmie
Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Unread postby pup » Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:40 pm

LT or LJ?

I for one do not think either of these guys had the sure thing label coming into the league. There was queestions about LT's size, hands and lack of playing top level competition. LJ was always a miscontent with a qustionable work ethic and a primadonna. Obviously now they both look like no brainers, but at the time of the draft both had some question marks.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby furls » Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:17 pm

exactly pup. In retrospect everyone knows that LJ and LT should have been the first player taken and they are great. At draft time, neither of them were "sure things," at least not in the same sense as Reggie Bush and Marshall Faulk. I knew in 1994 that Faulk was going to be a Hall of Famer if he stayed healthy on a decent team. Ask Swerb, I drafted him for the Furlymen in his rookie season.

I feel the same way about Bush, but I was not so sure about LT or LJ. For every LT or LJ there is a Rashaan Salam or Kijana Carter.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby Dozen » Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:26 pm

LT or LJ?

I for one do not think either of these guys had the sure thing label coming into the league. There was queestions about LT's size, hands and lack of playing top level competition. LJ was always a miscontent with a qustionable work ethic and a primadonna. Obviously now they both look like no brainers, but at the time of the draft both had some question marks.

LT was the 5th pick......................might of had some "questions" but still the 5th pick

Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Unread postby furls » Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:34 pm

Being a fifth pick does not make you a sure thing. People did not openly chastise those that selected 1-4 for passing on LT like they have chastised the texans for passing on Bush because Bush is a SURE THING.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Unread postby Dozen » Mon Jan 22, 2007 10:52 pm

Never said it did. Im saying they all had what I call hype. "Sure Thing" is a reach for anyone. And I've heard numerous of times how we drafted Gerard Warren over LT. Bottom line though, for every Couch there is Brady,. Curtis Enis-Terrele Davis and so on. Consigliere said it best awhile ago, this years 1st rd pick HAS to be a homerun.

Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Unread postby consigliere » Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:44 pm

At this point, I still go 1) Russell, 2) AP and 3) Thomas. I am not considering anyone else. I don't even want to hear the words "Alan" or "Branch" get into the mix.

That said, I don't see a "sure thing" in this draft. Some intriguing potential with a ton of guys, but I see a lot of volatility in this draft when we all look back on it 2-3 years from now. I know he has some recent injury concerns, but right now, I consider AP the closest thing to a sure-thing.
consigliere

Unread postby leadpipe » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:14 pm

I think that JaMarcus Russel is interesting. Does anyone realize how poorly he played in step-up games for the Tigers with the exception of Notre Dame, who, we all know doesn't defend. Sure, he's young, and he looks good, but man I want more before I draft him.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby Guest » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:22 pm

I have no interest in either of the Top 2 QBs

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL