Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Willis McGahee Anyone?

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Willis McGahee Anyone?

Unread postby swerb » Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:35 pm

http://www.buffalobills.com/blog/index.jsp?post_id=828

Some might be surprised by my thoughts that the Bills could be looking for another running back. I think Buffalo will be looking for a tailback that can catch 50-60 balls out of the backfield similar to the way Marshall Faulk did in a version of Steve Fairchild's offense in St. Louis. That's why despite the comments by Willis McGahee's agent Drew Rosenhaus last month in angling for a contract extension, I don't believe Willis will get it, at least from the Bills (again just my educated guess).

Many of you are asking could Willis be traded. I think it's a distinct possibility. Do I know for a fact that he will be traded? No. However seeing him moved at some point this offseason would not shock me in the least.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Guest » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:46 pm

Trade Braylon for him and Draft Calvin Johnson

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:59 pm

Trade Braylon for him and Draft Calvin Johnson

BE rocks cant trade him
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Unread postby Guest » Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:19 pm

I'd trade him in a heartbeat

Unread postby pup » Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:20 pm

Maybe not a heartbeat, but to get Willis it would have to be considered. We still need to draft Joe Thomas though, either way.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby consigliere » Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:22 pm

I'm on board for McGahee if he becomes available.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby swerb » Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:08 am

The cap hit for trading Braylon is insane.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby The Score » Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:20 am

Braylon's cap hit is somewhere in the neighborhood of 11-12 million if he is traded or cut this offseason.

He isn't going anywhere.
The Score

Unread postby Guest » Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:58 am

Damn
They still need to see what it'll take to get him

Unread postby swerb » Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:35 am

That is one area of the NFL's CBA that I can't stand, the massive cap hits that teams have to take when dealing guys with alot of money left on their deal.

I'm sure theres a reasonable explanation for why it is how it is. But on the surface, it seems like it's bad for the owners and the players.

On the ownership side, take the example of the Browns and Braylon. Say that Braylon continues to be a malcontent, and continues to drop passes. The team is stuck with him. All they can do is approach him about redoing his deal at a more cap friendly number like they did with Courtney Brown.

On the player side, it would behoove Braylon if he could be dealt in a more cap friendly manner as well. There would certainly be no shortage of suitors, baggage and all, that would be willing to take on him and his expensive deal. The Browns would sooner waive him, absolving his contract, that deal him.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby consigliere » Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:01 am

Swerb wrote:That is one area of the NFL's CBA that I can't stand, the massive cap hits that teams have to take when dealing guys with alot of money left on their deal.

It is not the money left on a deal that affects it....as the team pays no penalty for the money left on the deal. It is the signing bonus and other gauranteed money of the deal that the player got that the team gets penalized for if they trade or release him.

But, apparently Edwards got something ike $20M from the Browns, so I can see why it would be like a $10-12M cap hit if we traded him. We are stuck with him.....although given how much cap space we have this offseason, we could always take the bullet just to get rid of him. But, that is unlikely especially after Savage reffered to #17 and #80 as the core of this offense going forward.
consigliere

Unread postby pup » Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:20 pm

Why do we want to trade BE? Do you really want to see this guy blow up somewhere else (which he will). It is not abnormal for a WR to come into the league and struggle in their first couple seasons, especially the truly "gifted" ones that have never been required to address the finer points. Now throw in the fact that he missed a year, where he had no chances to work on things like route running, and he is further behind.

BE's strength is the deep ball and being a better athlete than the guy that is covering. He needs work on running routes and catching balls in traffic. With the pathetic OL, there is no time to take advantage of his deep ball strength. All we really have gotten to see is the part of his game that needs work, and are evaluating him on that.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby The Score » Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:24 pm

Using rough numbers the Browns paid Edwards 20 mill guaranteed with a five year contract. Guaranteed money is spread out equally over the life of the contract, as far as the cap is concerned. The Browns are responsible, salary cap wise, for every dollar they pay a player. So:

His cap hit every year = 4 mill + yearly salary

He is 2 years into his deal, so they have only accounted for 8 million of the signing bonus (guaranteed money) that they paid him up front.

If he leaves the team by trade, release, or retirement this upcoming season the Browns will be responsible for the remainder of his signing bonus they have yet to account for, which is 12 million dollars.
The Score

Unread postby Guest » Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:06 pm

I'd like to see Edward blow up here but not sure it will happen.
I am a HUGE Calvin Johnson fan and would love us to grab him even though the OL is garbage.
I honestly think CJ is a once in a decade or so talent.

Unread postby thedirtceo » Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:16 pm

Maybe not a heartbeat, but to get Willis it would have to be considered. We still need to draft Joe Thomas though, either way.

Pup, you working for the Browns now? Or did you buy them? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
thedirtceo
Thread Killer

Unread postby pup » Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:23 pm

Pup, you working for the Browns now? Or did you buy them?

If I had your kind of cash maybe :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby swerb » Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:44 pm

http://www.gbnreport.com/

(10:00 AM): Bills shopping RB McGahee… Buffalo officials in Indianapolis are reportedly doing more than just assessing college football talent at this week’s NFL Scouting Combine. According to New York Giants new G.M. Jerry Reese the Bills have let it be known that starting RB Willis McGahee is available via a trade. Other NFL sources also confirmed that the Bills are actively seeking a trade partner for McGahee, Buffalo's 2003 first-round draft pick. It is not known if any teams have approached the Bills about McGahee, but at least one appears to have some interest. It is also unknown what the Bills' asking price would be, but it is unlikely they would get more than a late-round pick in exchange as McGahee as he is entering the final year of his original five-year contract and will be a free agent as the end of the year if he isn’t signed him to a long-term contract. McGahee is also coming off a sub-par season during which he rushed for 990 yards, the first time in three years he failed to top the 1,000-yard mark. McGahee also brought on some bad publicity after the season when he became the defendant in a paternity suit for the third time in two years. Then in an interview with Penthouse Magazine, he suggested the Bills should move to Toronto, though he later said his comments were taken out of context. The interested team appears to be the Giants who are looking for replacement for Tiki Barber to pair with Brandon Jacobs. And whether McGahee remains in Buffalo or not, the Bills appear prepared to draft a RB. The position isn't considered very deep this year and the top back, Oklahoma's Adrian Peterson, likely will be gone by the time the Bills make their opening round pick, however, Marshawn Lynch of California might be an option for the Bills at the 12th pick.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby leadpipe » Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:55 pm

If McGahee comes here the first thing he'll do is put his leg on backwards again. Also, opening up a new citys sure to increase his paternity load.

No matter what happens, it sure seems like the Browns are in a situation to get better. That isn't always the case.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby jb » Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:04 pm

Swerb wrote:The cap hit for trading Braylon is insane.

Whomp, there it is.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby consigliere » Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:05 pm

JB wrote:
Swerb wrote:The cap hit for trading Braylon is insane.

Whomp, there it is.

Of course, if your agenda was to get rid of malcontents, this would be the ideal offseason, no? The Browns have a ton of cap space this offseason to use up, so if they are going to reload and dump some guys, might as well have that dead money applied to the cap this year so they are off the books next offseason when we might be ready to make a run, no? Just asking.
consigliere

Unread postby General » Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:37 pm

Consigliere, I agree with you to some extent. But maybe the Browns try this novel approach...get a head coach that can provide some discipline and leadership, instead of standing on the sideline looking like someone just crapped on his deluxe pizza.
General

Favorite Player: Paul Warfield
Least Favorite Player: 537 Idiots in DC

Unread postby Dozen » Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:44 pm

This team is in no position to trade what very little talent it does have.
http://www.thesportshole.com

http://www.youtube.com/TheSportsHole

I have never seen so many kok heads all lumped together like that ~ Yhimmie
Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Favorite Player: my son
Least Favorite Player: venomous/bipolar

Unread postby pup » Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:20 pm

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby Dozen » Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:22 pm

Remember the shot Doss put on him when his mouthpiece went flying out? Right then and there you knew it was on.
http://www.thesportshole.com

http://www.youtube.com/TheSportsHole

I have never seen so many kok heads all lumped together like that ~ Yhimmie
Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Favorite Player: my son
Least Favorite Player: venomous/bipolar

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL