Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

REY ..Rips off a 4.68 forty at plus 250 lbs

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

REY ..Rips off a 4.68 forty at plus 250 lbs

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:38 pm

Gentleman forget the dumbsheeit.

If we don't trade our QB's and have to use the five on Sanchez.

Mualuaga is worth using the number five on him even if Curry is there.

SoulDawg

WAR : OUR TIME HAS COME
SoulDawg74

Re: REY ..Rips off a 4.68 forty at plus 250 lbs

Unread postby Triple-S » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:48 pm

+1

'bout damn time we get our own version of Troy Polamalu.

Also, WAR trying to get Clay Matthews III as well in the same class.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby pup » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:38 pm

What's grosser than gross?

Me and SD on the same page.

Draft me the bull in a china shop.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby Lubber » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:50 pm

Triple-S wrote:+1

Rey may be fast, but he is no where close to being as diisciplined or football savvy as Troy P. A bull in the china shop is what you get, but unfortunately, many times that bull will be in the wrong aisle guessing instead of reading and playing smart football ;(
Lubber

Favorite Player: London Fletcher
Least Favorite Player: LeBron James

Unread postby leadpipe » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:49 pm

Lubber wrote:

Rey may be fast, but he is no where close to being as diisciplined or football savvy as Troy P. A bull in the china shop is what you get, but unfortunately, many times that bull will be in the wrong aisle guessing instead of reading and playing smart football ;(

Lub, you do remember Troy's rookie year, don't you?

You and your fellow Steeler fans were NOT referring to him as disciplined and savvy.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby Ziner » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:53 pm

+6,000,000

He is worth it at 5. He is a franchise LB (if there is such a thing).
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby Lubber » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:47 pm

Lead Pipe wrote:
Lubber wrote:

You and your fellow Steeler fans were NOT referring to him as disciplined and savvy.

That is a perfect example Lead. Troy has always been a student of the game, and even somebody like that had a tough time transitioning to the NFL level of play until about midway through his rookie season. IMHO, Rey is not that type of cerebral player and will be way behind when he gets to NFL unless he changes his ways.
Lubber

Unread postby 4thQtrGlory » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:50 pm

Lubber wrote:
Lead Pipe wrote:
Lubber wrote:

That is a perfect example Lead. Troy has always been a student of the game, and even somebody like that had a tough time transitioning to the NFL level of play until about midway through his rookie season. IMHO, Rey is not that type of cerebral player and will be way behind when he gets to NFL unless he changes his ways.

+1

I dont question the kid's strength, physical ability, passion for the game. But i do think that he might take a while to mature into the elite player that everyone is hoping he will be.
4thQtrGlory

Favorite Player: Bernie
Least Favorite Player: NE Ohio Steeler Fan

Unread postby pup » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:34 am

4thQtrGlory wrote:
Lubber wrote:
Lead Pipe wrote:
Lubber wrote:

+1

I dont question the kid's strength, physical ability, passion for the game. But i do think that he might take a while to mature into the elite player that everyone is hoping he will be.

And that is fine. The kid can have some time. Nobody is asking him to step in and be Ray Lewis game 1. We have Barton and NyQuil to show him the ropes. Might not be a bad idea to take someone, even that high, and not count on them to be All-Pro right out of the gate.

This is why good teams draft well. They have the opportunity to develop the guys they do take. So do we, we (and most crud teams) choose not to do this.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby leadpipe » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:43 am

Lubber wrote:
Lead Pipe wrote:
Lubber wrote:

Look, I don't want the guy at 5 either, but we're doing some assuming here.

Point being, you may be correct, or, he could just be one of those guys. A guy that winds up being great based on an instinct and feel for the game that you just can't put a finger on.

But, at number 5, and more importantly, The Cleveland Browns cannot afford to be wrong. If they roll the dice, they better be pretty confident they don't seven out.

Or 5 out, in this case.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby JoJo White » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:58 am

Workout warrior. :pop:
JoJo White

Favorite Player: Johann Olav Koss
Least Favorite Player: Zola Budd

Unread postby oberle » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:10 am

Lead Pipe wrote:The Cleveland Browns cannot afford to be wrong.

I've got two nits to pick with this statement; and it's not you, it's just a hot button with me.

1) Philosophically, this thinking is why the Browns seem to double clutch on their draft picks. I know this is a new regime, and all that, but the thinking, 'I gotta be right, I can't make a mistake.' is NOT what the good teams do.

They trust their ability to find a player who fits their scheme; and who is not a 'reach.' Phil Savage trusted his ability to find that player. The problem with Phil was that the scheme he was drafting for was not the same scheme that his coach was deploying. Simplistic? Certainly, but I think there's a kernel of truth in that.

2) Why can't the Browns 'afford' to be wrong? Do you think blowing another draft, and putting crap out on the field is going to affect their bottom line in the near-term. (By near term, I mean the next 4-5 years, minimum.) They're still going to receive all the TV and radio revenue, their stadium will continue to sell-out; and they'll still make millions on the ridiculously priced concessions. So what if they're the laughingstock of the NFL?

I know what you are saying, and from a competition standpoint, you are correct. It's just that I know deep in my heart that the Browns will continue to do poorly in the draft. Do the words 'rudderless suck' ring a bell?
Cleveland, you gotta be tough!

(135 & Counting)
oberle
Ain't Rocket Science

Unread postby jb » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:57 am

Lubber wrote:
Lead Pipe wrote:
Lubber wrote:

I can't help but think there is some overanalysis here.

We are talking about an ILB .

Gap integrity blah blah blah.

On most running plays it is see ball, shed block, hit ball. As fast as possible.

Unless he has some serious LD , he can learn coverage, or situationally you move him around and have him pass rush, which he wasn't always asked to do at USC in a feature role.

I look at NFL LBers and there is NFW anyone can convince me that some of the greats could figure out how to record a program on a DVR.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby jb » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:02 am

oberle wrote:
Lead Pipe wrote:The Cleveland Browns cannot afford to be wrong.

I've got two nits to pick with this statement; and it's not you, it's just a hot button with me.

1) Philosophically, this thinking is why the Browns seem to double clutch on their draft picks. I know this is a new regime, and all that, but the thinking, 'I gotta be right, I can't make a mistake.' is NOT what the good teams do.

They trust their ability to find a player who fits their scheme; and who is not a 'reach.' Phil Savage trusted his ability to find that player. The problem with Phil was that the scheme he was drafting for was not the same scheme that his coach was deploying. Simplistic? Certainly, but I think there's a kernel of truth in that.

2) Why can't the Browns 'afford' to be wrong? Do you think blowing another draft, and putting crap out on the field is going to affect their bottom line in the near-term. (By near term, I mean the next 4-5 years, minimum.) They're still going to receive all the TV and radio revenue, their stadium will continue to sell-out; and they'll still make millions on the ridiculously priced concessions. So what if they're the laughingstock of the NFL?

I know what you are saying, and from a competition standpoint, you are correct. It's just that I know deep in my heart that the Browns will continue to do poorly in the draft. Do the words 'rudderless suck' ring a bell?

Belichick was hired by Chairman and CEO Robert Kraft on Jan. 27, 2000 and is in his ninth season as Patriots head coach in 2008.

http://www.patriots.com/team/index.cfm?ac=coachbio&bio=506

2000 1 2 15 46 Adrian Klemm T Hawaii
2 3 14 76 J.R. Redmond RB Arizona State
3 4 33 127 Greg Robinson-Randall T Michigan State
4 5 12 141 Dave Stachelski TE Boise State
5 5 32 161 Jeff Marriott DT Missouri
6 6 21 187 Antwan Harris DB Virginia
7 6 33 199 Tom Brady QB Michigan
8 6 35 201 David Nugent DT Purdue
9 7 20 226 Casey Tisdale LB New Mexico
10 7 33 239 Patrick Pass RB Georgia

http://www.drafthistory.com/teams/patriots.html

Patience is a beyatch.

They pulled Brady out of their butts as pure unadulterated luck, but the rest of this draft is terrble. Just terrble. (Barkley pronunciation)
jb

Unread postby jb » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:34 am

4thQtrGlory wrote:
Lubber wrote:
Lead Pipe wrote:
Lubber wrote:

+1

By "mature" , you mean like LT ?
jb

Unread postby jb » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:34 am

JoJo White wrote:Workout warrior. :pop:

That is some high quality trouble making right there.

I bow.
jb

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:48 am

JoJo White wrote:Workout warrior. :pop:

Dry humping Erin Andrews is hard work. Pun intended.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby Lubber » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:08 pm

JB wrote:
Lubber wrote:I can't help but think there is some overanalysis here.

On most running plays it is see ball, shed block, hit ball. As fast as possible.

Unless he has some serious LD , he can learn coverage, or situationally you move him around and have him pass rush, which he wasn't always asked to do at USC in a feature role.

I look at NFL LBers and there is NFW anyone can convince me that some of the greats could figure out how to record a program on a DVR.

JB, Most people would think that. However, I have seen first hand the difference between a phenomenal athlete and a phenomenal athlete who is smart at ILB. I coached at JCU in the 90's when London Fletcher was playing there. He had all this raw talent and very similar to Rey minus the height. He could run from sideline to sideline with anybody, and was the strongest guy on the field. However, in his Junior year, he wa not very interested in film work, and thought he could get by on his natural ability. For the most part he made plays when he had to. Going into his senior year, there was buzz about him going to next level, so he hit the film room hard and really learned about the different blocking schemes, tendencies, etc. He was unbelievable to watch. 230 tackles in 10 games. And he rarely if ever over pursued or was out of position.

By now Rey should be at that level. Guys usually don't learn that in the pros. Like Lead said above. Too much of a risk to take at 5.
Lubber

Unread postby Triple-S » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:26 pm

Lubber wrote:
JB wrote:

JB, Most people would think that. However, I have seen first hand the difference between a phenomenal athlete and a phenomenal athlete who is smart at ILB. I coached at JCU in the 90's when London Fletcher was playing there. He had all this raw talent and very similar to Rey minus the height. He could run from sideline to sideline with anybody, and was the strongest guy on the field. However, in his Junior year, he wa not very interested in film work, and thought he could get by on his natural ability. For the most part he made plays when he had to. Going into his senior year, there was buzz about him going to next level, so he hit the film room hard and really learned about the different blocking schemes, tendencies, etc. He was unbelievable to watch. 230 tackles in 10 games. And he rarely if ever over pursued or was out of position.

By now Rey should be at that level. Guys usually don't learn that in the pros. Like Lead said above. Too much of a risk to take at 5.

You're just saying this so he drops down to the 32nd spot.

:hide: I know your motives.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby Lubber » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:38 pm

Triple-S wrote:You're just saying this so he drops down to the 32nd spot.

:hide: I know your motives.

As a fan of both teams, I would not like to see him on either team. Maybe t is just me, but I am not a fan of undisciplined players. Not only does that usually translate to poor performance in the NFL, but generally they are going to be undisciplined off the field.

Now Little Animal/Cushing/Mathews Jr. all would be nice fits in the 32nd spot :), but they will be taking OL in that spot.
Lubber

Unread postby jb » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:41 pm

Lubber wrote:
JB wrote:

I'm with you to a degree Lubber. I see what you're saying and I'm not throwing baby out with bath. But you'll never convince me that the keys to know and learning curve is all that steep for ILB, even on Sunday, relative to talent and instinct. ILB isn't QB . If Rey isn't a total immature basket case, he'll get if if we have any sort of coaching and the sceme isn't crazy complicated.

Just like you'll never be able to tell me they aren't all risks that high. Courtney Brown may have been the safest top overall pick ever made. Need that rookie salary cap.
jb

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:48 pm

JB wrote:I'm with you to a degree Lubber. I see what you're saying and I'm not throwing baby out with bath. But you'll never convince me that the keys to know and learning curve is all that steep for ILB, even on Sunday, relative to talent and instinct. ILB isn't QB . If Rey isn't a total immature basket case, he'll get if if we have any sort of coaching and the sceme isn't crazy complicated.

Chaun!

Fucking!

Thompson!

There is SOME degree to which Drew Gooden cannot play linebacker in the NFL.
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Favorite Player: Withheld
Least Favorite Player: David Huff

Unread postby Lubber » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:50 pm

JB wrote:I'm with you to a degree Lubber. I see what you're saying and I'm not throwing baby out with bath. But you'll never convince me that the keys to know and learning curve is all that steep for ILB, even on Sunday, relative to talent and instinct. ILB isn't QB . If Rey isn't a total immature basket case, he'll get if if we have any sort of coaching and the sceme isn't crazy complicated.

Just like you'll never be able to tell me they aren't all risks that high. Courtney Brown may have been the safest top overall pick ever made. Need that rookie salary cap.

Definitely not as steep as QB. And Courtney was a safe pick, just bad luck with injuries.
There will always be risks, but I guess I would just try to minimize them as much as possible. That being said, if Curry is gone, it makes for a difficult choice. I am intrigued at what a Braylon/Crabtree duet would do to defenses as I think it would open up the run all that much more. But at the same time, the Defense is in definite need of a playmaker.
Lubber

Unread postby jb » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:02 pm

Lubber wrote:

Definitely not as steep as QB. And Courtney was a safe pick, just bad luck with injuries.
There will always be risks, but I guess I would just try to minimize them as much as possible. That being said, if Curry is gone, it makes for a difficult choice. I am intrigued at what a Braylon/Crabtree duet would do to defenses as I think it would open up the run all that much more. But at the same time, the Defense is in definite need of a playmaker.

I've accepred Curry as gonzo by pick 5.

And just say "no" to your inner Matt Millen. "La la la la la I can't hear you Matt" will work.

BTW - If you do go that way, get me Harvin. I can move him around with a little creativity, exploit mismatches, and score points.

We need to come out of this draft with an impact play making defender, and a safety who will come in round 2. The O will come around with a stronger center, some competition on the right side, and maybe a fresh set of legs with the 2nd round two pick. I just hope we get to see BQ moving the cahins and cutting down on the mistakes.
jb

Unread postby jb » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:51 pm

Anyone else find it interesting that Mike Lombardo doesn't have Rey in round one at all?

Is he the next BQ on draft day? Could we move up and snag him AND Rak and still get a safety on day one?

Would that make 07 look like we came away with Ron Brown by comparison?
jb

Unread postby 216 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:21 pm

JB wrote:Anyone else find it interesting that Mike Lombardo doesn't have Rey in round one at all?

Very intersting!!!

Mel Kipper has Rey, Cushing , III

all in Round one

I hope we can snag Rey, I admit at first I was a Animal fan but you guys have converted me. I want REY!!!!

Ya think he has a grudge against Hines Ward for what he did to his college team mate?
I doubt it but I sure hope so!!!

Unread postby aoxo1 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:01 pm

Lubber wrote:
JB wrote:

You need to realize that there is big difference between guys being cerebral/intelligent and being hard working. You have been yapping about Rey being a dull blade, but the story you just told is one of a guy who started working hard. You have no idea how much work Rey does or does not put in, even if you think you can gleen his overall intelligence from his Wonderlic score or whatever.
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
aoxo1

Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Unread postby daddywags » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:50 pm

I don't think 4.68 is very impressive for a linebacker. I'd call it barely adequate, frankly. Orakpo ran a 4.70 at the combine at 263 lbs. Rey ran 4.91 there. Average Rey's two numbers and you get something like 4.8, or about Andra Davis speed. From what I've read, and the few times I've seen him, he's a big hitter (which is great) with questionable instincts who takes himself out of as many plays as he makes. Just because he's a big hitter who plays a little on the wild side doesn't make him the second coming of Polamalu. Would I be interested in the middle of round one? Probably. At 5? No way.
daddywags

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:19 pm

daddywags wrote:I don't think 4.68 is very impressive for a linebacker. I'd call it barely adequate, frankly. Orakpo ran a 4.70 at the combine at 263 lbs. Rey ran 4.91 there. Average Rey's two numbers and you get something like 4.8, or about Andra Davis speed. From what I've read, and the few times I've seen him, he's a big hitter (which is great) with questionable instincts who takes himself out of as many plays as he makes. Just because he's a big hitter who plays a little on the wild side doesn't make him the second coming of Polamalu. Would I be interested in the middle of round one? Probably. At 5? No way.

SD:

Show me the tape of Orapko blowing people up thru traffic and you might have a point.

Rey plays full tilt and explodes plays absolutely cold cocks players.

He's the biggest hitter in the draft, and the best at laying the wood on people coming out of College since Sean Taylor.

Bout time to draft some defensive players who will knock your dick off,
and put some teeth in our bark

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby mistero » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:06 am

Early reports now that Cushing and Matthews tested positive for steroids at the combine. That would cast a shadow of doubt on Rey too. That whole bunch looks roided up to the max,especially Cushing.

Maybe he looks alot like Katzenmoyer or the Boz when he has to clean up.

NFLDraftBible.com reports that Florida WR Percy Harvin, Illinois CB Vontae Davis, and UTEP K Jose Martinez all tested positive for marijuana at February's Combine.

The website also claims that USC OLBs Brian Cushing and Clay Matthews tested positive for steroids.
Source: NFL Draft Bible
In Chud We Trust
mistero

Favorite Player: Miller High Life
Least Favorite Player: Natural Light

Unread postby SoulDawg74 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:03 am

mistero wrote:Early reports now that Cushing and Matthews tested positive for steroids at the combine. That would cast a shadow of doubt on Rey too. That whole bunch looks roided up to the max,especially Cushing.

NFLDraftBible.com reports that Florida WR Percy Harvin, Illinois CB Vontae Davis, and UTEP K Jose Martinez all tested positive for marijuana at February's Combine.

The website also claims that USC OLBs Brian Cushing and Clay Matthews tested positive for steroids.

SD:

Hell man you think Ray Lewis plays that way just suckin on grape juice.

Look at Woodley in College, then look at Woodley after the inbred doctors went to work.

SoulDawg
SoulDawg74

Unread postby jb » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:54 am

SoulDawg74 wrote:
mistero wrote:Early reports now that Cushing and Matthews tested positive for steroids at the combine. That would cast a shadow of doubt on Rey too. That whole bunch looks roided up to the max,especially Cushing.

SD:

Look at Woodley in College, then look at Woodley after the inbred doctors went to work.

SoulDawg

Woodley was an all american DE at meatchicken.

Now Harrison? Wichu.
jb

Unread postby jb » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:57 am

SoulDawg74 wrote:
daddywags wrote:I don't think 4.68 is very impressive for a linebacker. I'd call it barely adequate, frankly. Orakpo ran a 4.70 at the combine at 263 lbs. Rey ran 4.91 there. Average Rey's two numbers and you get something like 4.8, or about Andra Davis speed. From what I've read, and the few times I've seen him, he's a big hitter (which is great) with questionable instincts who takes himself out of as many plays as he makes. Just because he's a big hitter who plays a little on the wild side doesn't make him the second coming of Polamalu. Would I be interested in the middle of round one? Probably. At 5? No way.

SD:

Show me the tape of Orapko blowing people up thru traffic and you might have a point.

He's the biggest hitter in the draft, and the best at laying the wood on people coming out of College since Sean Taylor.

SoulDawg

I'm with him.

Don't undervalue hitting in this day and age of overevaluation boolshit. Ever.

It is a man's game. Always was, always will be.
jb

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:49 pm

JB wrote:Woodley was an all american DE at meatchicken.
Now Harrison? Wichu.

Harrison was a monster in college too. He just played for Kent, so no one cared. He was a big Motha Trucker then, and he doesn't look much different now.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby jb » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:18 pm

Erie Warrior wrote:
JB wrote:Woodley was an all american DE at meatchicken.
Now Harrison? Wichu.

Harrison was a monster in college too. He just played for Kent, so no one cared. He was a big Motha Trucker then, and he doesn't look much different now.

UDFA, EW. Tells you all you need to know. He was aweite in a MACcish way. NFL D MVP ?

Better Football thru chemistry.
jb

Unread postby daddywags » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:21 pm

JB wrote:
SoulDawg74 wrote:

SD:

SoulDawg

I'm with him.

Didn't intend to undervalue hitting. In fact, I said that was his best attribute. I thought the original premise was he's fast now because he ran 4.68 at pro day. I don't agree with that. If the original post had been titled something like "Rey hits like a 'mutha'" I wouldn't have bothered to respond. FWIW, I'm fine with taking him but think taking him at 5 is too high. Why? Because he hits hard but from the games I watched he too often blows up folks who don't have the football while the guy with the football runs right past him. Sometimes I got the feeling that hitting somebody - anybody - hard was all he cared about. If that's your game, then he's your man for sure.
daddywags

Unread postby jb » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:36 pm

daddywags wrote:
JB wrote:
SoulDawg74 wrote:

SD:

SoulDawg

I'm with him.

Didn't intend to undervalue hitting. In fact, I said that was his best attribute. I thought the original premise was he's fast now because he ran 4.68 at pro day. I don't agree with that. If the original post had been titled something like "Rey hits like a 'mutha'" I wouldn't have bothered to respond. FWIW, I'm fine with taking him but think taking him at 5 is too high. Why? Because he hits hard but from the games I watched he too often blows up folks who don't have the football while the guy with the football runs right past him. Sometimes I got the feeling that hitting somebody - anybody - hard was all he cared about. If that's your game, then he's your man for sure.

I guess what we're sayin is we're done with that NOT being the Browns' game.
jb

Unread postby JCoz » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:39 pm

JB wrote:
SoulDawg74 wrote:

SD:

SoulDawg

Now Harrison? Wichu.

Woodley was a dissapointment until maybe the Rose in 05, his last game as a Junior.

He came is a top 15 player in the country in high school and the best he could do before his senior year at Michigan was BIG TEN Honarable mention. His most notable moment in the 05 regular season was, IIRC, The guy getting pancaked into the endzone as Pittman completed the comeback at Michigan for the Bucks.

He had a bit of a coming out party in his senior season, in the big ten, where the top defense in the country was burned by the buckeyes for 40+. Needless to say his season was a bit padded IYAM.

He won a ton of awards his senior year with 12 sacks.

He was maybe a late bloomer with signs going into the draft that he would get better, but he was nothing like the beast you see on Sundays. many people have one big year and are flame outs.
Last edited by JCoz on Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby jb » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:45 pm

JCoz wrote:
JB wrote:
SoulDawg74 wrote:

SD:

SoulDawg

Now Harrison? Wichu.

Woodley was a dissapointment until maybe the Rose in 05, his last game as a Junior.

He came is a top 15 player in the country in high school and the best he could do before his senior year at Michigan was BIG TEN Honarable mention. His most notable moment in the 05 regular season was, IIRC, The guy getting pancaked into the endzone as Pittman completed the comeback at Michigan for the Bucks.

He had a bit of a coming out party in his senior season, in the big ten, where the top defense in the country was burned by the buckeyes for 40+. Needless to say his season was a bit padded IYAM.

He was maybe a late bloomer with signs going into the draft that he would get better, but he was nothing like the beast you see on Sundays. many people have a one big year and are flame outs.

I feel like Brick in Anchorman.

I hear noises.

I wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_College_Football_All-America_Team

He wasn't drafted as a Junior.
jb

Unread postby daddywags » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:10 pm

JB wrote:
daddywags wrote:
JB wrote:
SoulDawg74 wrote:

SD:

SoulDawg

I'm with him.

I guess what we're sayin is we're done with that NOT being the Browns' game.

Hitting somebody hard is more important that doing the job correctly? Even if it means giving up a big play? It's that important? If what you're saying is "hitting people hard" should be our game, then sign me up. I agree whole-heartedly. But if what you're saying is "hitting people hard even if it means giving up a big play" should be our game, then I'll continue to disagree. Since I think you mean the former and not the latter I'll just agree with you and let it go.
Last edited by daddywags on Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
daddywags

Unread postby JCoz » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:12 pm

JB wrote:
JCoz wrote:
JB wrote:
SoulDawg74 wrote:

SD:

SoulDawg

Now Harrison? Wichu.

He was maybe a late bloomer with signs going into the draft that he would get better, but he was nothing like the beast you see on Sundays. many people have a one big year and are flame outs.

I hear noises.

I wrote:

You hear noises, I watch football games. Lamar Woodley was largely a bum in college with one big year, his senior year.
And he was still nothing like he was last season.

I watch many people EVERY year blossom as senior and do NOTHING in the NFL.
JCoz

Unread postby JCoz » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:21 pm

JB wrote:
JCoz wrote:
JB wrote:
SoulDawg74 wrote:

SD:

SoulDawg

Now Harrison? Wichu.

I hear noises.

I wrote:

And for that matter, since when does winning awards in college = success on Sundays? You only pimp awards when its convenient for your argument.

Either way either they develop players as well as anyone in the league, or they draft as well as anyone in the League, if your trying to take credit for developing away from the Hilljacks.

We could argue all day, in the end my opinion is Woodley was a shoddy college All American DE compared to the other AA's in the last 10 years, it is what it is.

Don't you remember that year? Michigan was only giving up like 40 yards rushing a game, everyone found out later it was a facade. Woodley stats were piled up against garbage.

Hell OSU replaced 9 starters on defense and led the nation in D with a walkon at CORNER (at OSU go figure). It was Hollywood, man, and so were Woodley's awards.
JCoz

Unread postby daddywags » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:39 pm

FWIW - I liked Woodley as a second round pick for the Browns that year. Thought he would have been perfect for our scheme. If we hadn't done the Quinn trade we could have taken him, but I doubt we would have. Still, I'm on the side that says he was 2nd round worthy as a pass-rushing OLB in a 4-3 defense. Seemed perfect to me, anyway. (And I'm a guy who has rooted for OSU against Michigan since the 60's, so don't go all homerism here.)
daddywags

Unread postby JCoz » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:51 pm

daddywags wrote:FWIW - I liked Woodley as a second round pick for the Browns that year. Thought he would have been perfect for our scheme. If we hadn't done the Quinn trade we could have taken him, but I doubt we would have. Still, I'm on the side that says he was 2nd round worthy as a pass-rushing OLB in a 4-3 defense. Seemed perfect to me, anyway. (And I'm a guy who has rooted for OSU against Michigan since the 60's, so don't go all homerism here.)

Million Dollar Question: Does Woodley Drafted by the Browns = Woodley drafted by the Hilljacks?

I didn't want him, I though he was overrated and wouldn't be a good NFL player. I was wrong about the NFL, but with all the Oline woes OSU had, this guy never did squat. He looked like a total bust before his senior year.

I don't like projecting Pass rushing 3-4 LBers though, seems like a crap shoot, except when the Steelers or Pats do it.
JCoz

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:52 pm

JCoz wrote:And for that matter, since when does winning awards in college = success on Sundays? You only pimp awards when its convenient for your argument.

It matters only if the guy who won the award went to Texas and was mediocre at best in his final college game against that same shitty OSU offensive line but who earned the award with bang up ballgames against Florida Atlantic and Morehead State or some other such shit schools.

I didn't make the rules, they were just explained to me that way..... don't shoot the messenger.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Unread postby daddywags » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:06 pm

JCoz wrote:
daddywags wrote:FWIW - I liked Woodley as a second round pick for the Browns that year. Thought he would have been perfect for our scheme. If we hadn't done the Quinn trade we could have taken him, but I doubt we would have. Still, I'm on the side that says he was 2nd round worthy as a pass-rushing OLB in a 4-3 defense. Seemed perfect to me, anyway. (And I'm a guy who has rooted for OSU against Michigan since the 60's, so don't go all homerism here.)

Million Dollar Question: Does Woodley Drafted by the Browns = Woodley drafted by the Hilljacks?

I didn't want him, I though he was overrated and wouldn't be a good NFL player. I was wrong about the NFL, but with all the Oline woes OSU had, this guy never did squat. He looked like a total bust before his senior year.

I don't like projecting Pass rushing 3-4 LBers though, seems like a crap shoot, except when the Steelers or Pats do it.

No, but nobody drafted by the Browns = the same player in the Steelers' system (or the Patriots' system) right now. Same as Mo Williams in the Cavs system is light years better than Mo Williams in the Bucks system. But you gotta start someplace, don't you?
daddywags

Unread postby aoxo1 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:30 pm

daddywags wrote:
JCoz wrote:

No, but nobody drafted by the Browns = the same player in the Steelers' system (or the Patriots' system) right now. Same as Mo Williams in the Cavs system is light years better than Mo Williams in the Bucks system. But you gotta start someplace, don't you?

I don't disagree with you about Browns/Steelers, but...

Mo Williams PER
2007-2008: 17.23
2008-2009: 17.23

He is actually pretty much the same player, but gets to play with LeBron James instead of Michael Redd.

Sorry to derail the thread a bit, I just mostly thought this was neat.
I know more about pizza than you. Much more in fact. - Cerebral_DownTime
aoxo1

Favorite Player: Hover Jetski
Least Favorite Player: Eric Wright

Unread postby JoJo White » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:32 pm

Peeker643 wrote:
JCoz wrote:And for that matter, since when does winning awards in college = success on Sundays? You only pimp awards when its convenient for your argument.

It matters only if the guy who won the award went to Texas and was mediocre at best in his final college game against that same shitty OSU offensive line but who earned the award with bang up ballgames against Florida Atlantic and Morehead State or some other such shit schools.

I didn't make the rules, they were just explained to me that way..... don't shoot the messenger.

And good workouts only matter if you were to USC. And as bonus, only those from USC get a pass for performing shittily in BCS games.

I didn't make the rules, they were just explained to me that way.....don't shoot the messenger.

See! this is fun! I can act like a complete dick too!!
JoJo White

Favorite Player: Johann Olav Koss
Least Favorite Player: Zola Budd

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Fri Apr 03, 2009 5:36 pm

JoJo White wrote:See! this is fun! I can act like a complete dick too!!

Wait, who's acting?
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Favorite Player: Withheld
Least Favorite Player: David Huff

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:01 pm

JoJo White wrote:
Peeker643 wrote:

And good workouts only matter if you were to USC. And as bonus, only those from USC get a pass for performing shittily in BCS games.

I didn't make the rules, they were just explained to me that way.....don't shoot the messenger.

See! this is fun! I can act like a complete dick too!!

The difference being I have no interest in which school they get their guy from as long as he's a complete psychotic on Sundays. I'm not endorsing either guy as the right choice. Just asking them to not get the wrong one.

I mean, there's your lack of originality some would point to as another difference but that'd be petty and just spiteful.... ;-) ;) :wink: :bag:
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."

I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
peeker643
Duly Noted

Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Next

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL