Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Tom Freaking Brady

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Tom Freaking Brady

Unread postby swerb » Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:06 am

Man, this guy is unbeliveable.

Had a bunch of crap to do before the start of 24 last night, so I turned from the NE-SD game and Tivo'd the 4th quarter. Just had a chance to watch it this morning.

Brady overcomes 3 INTs to lead the Pats to a dramatic comeback, on the road, against footballs best team this year, the 14-2 Chargers. Brady goes to 12-1 in the playoffs. Simply amazing.

The pass to Caldwell along the sideline, with the game tied, just under 3 min left, 3rd and long .... that's the kind of pass legends are made of.

SD just kept leaving em in the game, little stupid things here and there. The fumble after the 3rd brady INT was a killer.

Just a great football game. Two of the games all time greats, Brady and Tomlinson, trading haymakers. And Belichick ... that 2 pt conversion direct snap to Faulk was ballsy and clutch.

Man, all four games this weekend were great. The NFL Playoffs are excellent.

And somewhere, Tony Dungy and Peyton Manning are just beginning to feel the pressure.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby pup » Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:51 am

How about the personal foul on the SD defensive back after Ben Watson laid him out? Had to be one of the dumbest penalties ever!

And way to go Marty! Play it safe late in the 4th and let Brady kill you with underneath stuff. Congrats! To think people are interested in this choker coming back to Cleveland. Blah.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby swerb » Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:06 am

San Diego had 3-4 chances to step on the Pats throats. You just can't give a guy like Brady 3rd and 4th chances.

You gotta feel for Marty. Good guy, good coach, just clams up in the big games. You can't help thinking that this was his last really legitimate shot to get a sausage.

One of the most all-time goosebump raising moments as a Browns fan ... Marty in the pregame huddle with the team before one of the Denver AFC title games, talking about their hunger for the Lombadi Trophy.

"There's a gleam men."
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby dpdad » Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:26 am

I kept expecting CBS to play footage of The Drive during the last few minutes of the game, when the Pats were going for the game-winning field goal. I was a little surprised that San Diego went for the field goal with 8 seconds left, and didn't try a quick out to get about 8-10 yards closer. It would have been a gamble with no time outs left, but no more a gamble than a 54 yd FG attempt at that point, IMO.

Wonder if the guy in the booth advising Marty to challenge the fumble recovery after the int is the same guy that advised Romeo all season? Ill-advised challenge that cost the Chargers a time out.
dpdad

Unread postby swerb » Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:30 am

dp, I was a little surprised they didn't try to run one more 5-6 yard out pattern as well with 8 seconds left.

And then after the game ... the look on Marty's face as he walked off the field. You coudl just feel his pain. And Tomlinson of all people, going after those NE guys at midfield.

Great weekend of football.

Patriots are gonna win another Super Bowl. I got both road teams winning outright next week, and the Pats beating the Saints in a thriller.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Unread postby Guest » Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:31 am

They did show the Drive and the Fumble talking about Marty having the most wins with no Super Bowl apperance.

Indy will beat the Pats and Manning will lose his mind against that secondary.

Unread postby pup » Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:34 am

I have had an Indy/Chicago Super Bowl for the last few weeks, so I have to stick with it, but Manning vs. Belicheck/Brady is not the game I wanted to see in this spot for that to come true.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby Guest » Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:35 am

I had Indy vs the Saints and still see that happening
The Bears D didn't look so special to me.
Urlacher is a freak but Seatlle moved the ball pretty well and if it wasn't for dropped passes, they would have won.

Unread postby furls » Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:01 pm

And way to go Marty! Play it safe late in the 4th and let Brady kill you with underneath stuff. Congrats! To think people are interested in this choker coming back to Cleveland. Blah.

Make no mistake about it, Marty did not lose this game. His retarded players did. I am as hard on head coaches as anyone, but this guy got screwed by players who did not make routine plays, as a matter of fact, he was screwed by players who went out of their way to make HORRIFIC plays.

When Marty is fired this week, I would be extremely excited to see the Browns pursue him (even though it will not happen). At this point I would take choking in the playoffs. Hell, I would be excited about a head coach that could restore this team to mediocrity in two years.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby pup » Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:12 pm

Make no mistake about it, Marty did not lose this game

Going for it on 4th and 11 instead of a 48 yard field goal was stupid. Only giving LT 25 touches is not enough in this game. Putting his young QB in a couple positions were mistakes could cost them was bad. The one I am thinking of specificaly was the 3rd and 13 from NE's 30. Hand the ball to LT and kick the field goal, instead they call a pass play, Rivers gets sacked and they punt.

Sure the personal foul was bad, the dropped passes were not so good. But how does Rivers throw the ball 32 times? You have LT, feel free to use him.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby furls » Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:25 pm

The one I am thinking of specificaly was the 3rd and 13 from NE's 30. Hand the ball to LT and kick the field goal, instead they call a pass play, Rivers gets sacked and they punt.

That is interesting considering you also accuse him of being conservative in the same thread. When coaches run the 3rd and 13 draw to kick the field goal (when they are already in field goal range) they are called conservative and stupid and ball-less. The 4th and 11 call was questionable to say the least, but it was far from being what actually cost them the game.

As for LT only getting 25 touches... that is just a hair over what he got for the season (23), and it worked all season long.

As for Rivers getting 32 passes? That is just a hair over his average (29) also. Marty stayed true to what made his team 14-2 and they still nearly won inspite of the boneheaded plays. In the end, the Patriots and their composure won.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby pup » Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:41 pm

That is interesting considering you also accuse him of being conservative in the same thread

Conservative with his defense late in the game was what I mentioned earlier. You would think he learned his lesson at the end of the first half when he let Brady dink and dunk his way to a TD in the last few seconds.

Yes, LT averages about 25 touches a game, but there was a few games with only 13-15, lowering his "per game touch" total.

When you have the lead, and a horse like LT to ride home, and you don't use him it is a bad decision.

When coaches run the 3rd and 13 draw to kick the field goal (when they are already in field goal range) they are called conservative and stupid and ball-less

Not by me and not when you are trying to build on a lead.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL