Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Broncos and QB Jay Cutler melting, could be a bargain

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Re: Broncos and QB Jay Cutler melting, could be a bargain

Unread postby Bob Fergus » Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:48 pm

Nothing much happening at the owners meetings other than an awkward moment when Mangini and his wife ran into the guys who fired him from NY. Seems the writer from NY is of the opinion that we are interested in Cutler.

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2009/03/new_york_jets_honchos_make_nic.html
Big news already from the NFL's annual meetings in Dana Point, Calif., just outside of Los Angeles. Who did Jets owner Woody Johnson, GM Mike Tannenbaum and coach Rex Ryan run into this afternoon in the lobby of the swank St. Regis Hotel?

Why, none other than Cleveland Browns coach Eric Mangini, of course -- the guy Johnson and Tannenbaum fired right after the 2008 season. According to ESPN.com, Mangini's wife Julie helped break the ice during what had to be an awkward moment for all.

Tannenbaum and Mangini used to be best buds. It's been speculated that the Jets could use Cleveland's help trying to acquire unhappy Broncos QB Jay Cutler, since Denver would theoretically want a QB as part of any trade for Cutler.

The Browns have two (Derek Anderson, Brady Quinn) who are more attractive bait than the candidates slated for an epic battle at Jets training camp this summer (Kellen Clemens, Brett Ratliff).The question should then be: If the Broncos ultimately decide to deal Cutler, why wouldn't the Browns simply trade for him themselves?
That part has been conveniently ignored by those eager to see the Jets chase another big-name QB a year after the Brett Favre fiasco. While we agree Cutler, 25, is a much more attractive rifle-armed passer to chase than the 39-year-old Favre was at his advanced age, there will also be more pursuers in this hunt.

Wouldn't the Browns be among them? You betcha.

Seems like their was some mending of fences that took place.
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afceast/0-6-94/Mangini--Jets-hug-it-out.html
...A great scene just transpired. Former New York Jets coach Eric Mangini and his wife checked in while owner Woody Johnson, general manager Mike Tannenbaum and new head coach Rex Ryan were in the lobby.

There seemed to be nary a shred of tension. Julie Mangini broke the ice by giving Tannenbaum a big hug. Soon, everybody was laughing like old pals.

We used a first round pick AND a high second round pick to acquire BQ. He is already under contract at a very reasonable price, much lower than what the top rookie QBs would demand and both of the top two rookie QBs are juniors coming out early whereas BQ has been in the league three years and already has a few starts under his belt and he's a choirboy in terms of being extra-ordinarily coachable.

This is what Scott Wright said of Quinn when he came out.
[url]http://www.theclevelandfan.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11572
Scott Wright from http://www.draftcountdown.com [/url]
… Brady Quinn - Wright was very high on him going into the '07 Draft, and had him as the #2 player on his overall board. Said in 15 years of doing this, he's only had 3 QBs grade out higher coming out of college ... and all three have already won Super Bowls.

The entire point I have been making is that the emotional drama being played out in Denver is an opportunity. The Denver-drama is their drama but our opportunity. We are not going to dish BQ for anything less than what we paid for him. Denver would get the market price that had been established with the Jeff George trade years ago which is two firsts and a second round pick or for a more recent take look at what was being discussed about the value of Matt Cassel in January before the trade went down with KC.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afceast/0-4-743/Cassel-trade-talk-opens-with-high-1st-rounder.html)
Cassel trade talk opens with high 1st-rounder
January 12, 2009 8:24 AM
Teams that want Matt Cassel's services must sacrifice to pry him away from the New England Patriots.
Two former NFL executives project the asking price for the burgeoning franchise quarterback will open with a high first-round draft choice and include some other picks, too.
… "It would have to be multiple choices and very high choices to get Cassel," ESPN analyst and former Tennessee Titans general manager Floyd Reese said. "Two first-rounders, or a one and a two and a three ... It'll be something very, very expensive."
… Lombardi was an executive with the Cleveland Browns when Bill Belichick was the coach and has worked with the San Francisco 49ers and Oakland Raiders among other clubs.
Lombardi couldn't come up with any corollary trade examples for a quarterback like Cassel.
"All trades have a predetermined value based on past trades," Lombardi said. "But to trade a quarterback as young as Cassel, after watching him do what he did, it doesn't happen."

We ARE NOT going to dish our #5 pick AND BQ, just not happening.

I still see an opportunity because the Denver-drama is about to get worse.
http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/The+Way+We+Hear+It/default.htm?mode=afcwest
March 5, 2009 By Dan Parr
Broncos WR Marshall could face lengthy suspension
While the Broncos are cleaning up the mess made by the Jay Cutler trade rumors... A more serious concern, for the club, we hear, is a potentially lengthy suspension that could await Denver’s No. 1 receiver, Brandon Marshall. After he was arrested for disorderly conduct in Atlanta, the charge against Marshall was dismissed on March 2, but as a player who repeatedly has violated the league’s personal-conduct policy, word is that the Broncos’ Pro Bowler could be facing as much as an eight-game suspension. Commissioner Roger Goodell suspended Marshall for two games but reduced it to just one game at the start of last season for his repeated transgressions, which included a DUI and being charged with battery. Many had then expected Marshall to face a longer punishment, and the suspension seemed lenient to some. Goodell may be inclined to be much harsher this time, which would be a major hindrance to Denver’s offense for a good portion of next season.

Today the news broke that the Browns were trying to dish Braylon for a Giant WR. The Broncos are going to be in need of a WR and their QB situation is up in the air.

I see a hand-glove fit of Jay Cutler and Brandon Marshall on the outs in Denver with two picture perfect replacements who could take over on the Browns.

Brandon Marshall?

A certified problem chile and also has lots of drops but he has 206 catches over the last two seasons. I don't like him but if we had Cut then the teams who lined up for the Cutler feast may be interested in DA and he's been shopped.

http://www.chroniclet.com/2009/02/21/nfl-combine-new-browns-regime-keeping-quarterbacl-options-open_122/
The Browns are shopping QB Derek Anderson as a possible draft day trade to replace one of the QB vacancies around the league.
===
Anderson makes all that money, who will take him?
A: He will be a bargain for another team. Anderson is due a $5 million roster bonus on March 13, and his salary for 2009 is $1.5 million. The Browns should pay the bonus, then trade Anderson because he will cost the new team only the $1.5 million in salary and on the cap. That increases his trade value.
It's still hard to see why any team would give up much for Anderson.
A: That's because most fans just watch the Browns. They don't understand the desperation of some teams lacking a quarterback. Minnesota just traded a fourth-rounder to Houston for career backup Sage Rosenfels. Before the 2007 draft, Atlanta received two potentially high second-round picks from Houston for another backup, Matt Schaub.
Q: What can the Browns get for Anderson?
A: At least a couple of second-rounders, maybe a low first or a chance to flop other picks. A veteran could be involved in a deal. Detroit and Tampa Bay would love to have Anderson. The Jets, Chiefs and 49ers also could be in the market. The Browns are taking their time, playing it smart to build interest in Anderson
, so don't pay much attention to what they say publicly about their quarterbacks.
Bob Fergus

Favorite Player: Greg Pruit
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby Bob Fergus » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:16 pm

Pilot to navigator.

Bombay doors opening.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/
Bowlen Says Broncos Will Trade Cutler
Posted by Mike Florio on March 31, 2009, 9:14 p.m.
Wow.

The calendar doesn’t yet say April 1, but we’re not sure that the Broncos haven’t gotten a head start on the process.

In a statement released Tuesday night, owner Pat Bowlen says that the team will accommodate quarterback Jay Cutler’s request for a trade:

“Numerous attempts to contact Jay Cutler in the last 10 days, both by [coach] Josh McDaniels and myself, have been unsuccessful.

“A conversation with his agent earlier today clearly communicated and confirmed to us that Jay no longer has any desire to play for the Denver Broncos.

“We will begin discussions with other teams in an effort to accommodate his request to be traded.”

Did we say, “Wow”?

If there was any doubt, the auction is open. Let the bidding begin.
Bob Fergus

Unread postby Triple-S » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:19 pm

F*** Cutler.

I don't want Denver's Jeff George.

LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA

Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby Bob Fergus » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:49 pm

And not an April Fools joke either.

Confirmation coming in from multiple sources:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=A2KIPHe.1NJJsXgAAwJDubYF?slug=cr-bowlencutler033109&prov=yhoo&type=lgns
Fed-up Broncos ready to trade Cutler
By Charles Robinson, Yahoo! Sports
1 hour, 22 minutes ago
After numerous failed attempts to open a line of communication in recent days, the Denver Broncos have decided to pursue trading disgruntled quarterback Jay Cutler.

In a statement to Yahoo! Sports and several other media outlets, Broncos owner Pat Bowlen said that the team came to the decision after both he and head coach Josh McDaniels tried unsuccessfully to reach Cutler...

Bowlen had to figure that every day it lingers, Cutler's price tag would get lower.

AFIC it was inevitable that the other shoe would fall.

We ARE going to be in the middle of this and BQ is the name that will get mentioned right along with Cut and Bronco HC Josh McDaniels.

BQ won't come cheap.

We're in the driver's seat with this deal.
Bob Fergus

Unread postby 4thQtrGlory » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:07 pm

Looks like Tuesday starts early for Mangini. After the Broncos making this public, I would not be suprised to see the Browns involved in a trade (possibly a 3 way, although a rarity).
4thQtrGlory

Favorite Player: Bernie
Least Favorite Player: NE Ohio Steeler Fan

Unread postby Ziner » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:19 pm

I'd do a swap of our 5th and their 12th for BQ for Cutler with maybe a pick or so... Or I'd do BQ and one of our 2nds for Cutler. Just not BQ AND our 5th with out getting their 12th. Alot of you dislike Cutler, I think he is a helluva QB that will be top 5 in the league very soon.
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby 4thQtrGlory » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:23 pm

Ziner wrote:I'd do a swap of our 5th and their 12th for BQ for Cutler with maybe a pick or so... Or I'd do BQ and one of our 2nds for Cutler. Just not BQ AND our 5th with out getting their 12th. Alot of you dislike Cutler, I think he is a helluva QB that will be top 5 in the league very soon.

+1 We cant dump off our first rounder without getting anything in return.

ESPN's John Clayton just said that a 3 way trade is most likely, with someone sending a QB in return back to Denver. He beleives that team could very well be the Browns.
4thQtrGlory

Favorite Player: Bernie
Least Favorite Player: NE Ohio Steeler Fan

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:34 pm

War Chris Miller over Brett Favre
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Unread postby Crash Davis » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:49 pm

4thQtrGlory wrote:
Ziner wrote:I'd do a swap of our 5th and their 12th for BQ for Cutler with maybe a pick or so... Or I'd do BQ and one of our 2nds for Cutler. Just not BQ AND our 5th with out getting their 12th. Alot of you dislike Cutler, I think he is a helluva QB that will be top 5 in the league very soon.

+1 We cant dump off our first rounder without getting anything in return.

ESPN's John Clayton just said that a 3 way trade is most likely, with someone sending a QB in return back to Denver. He beleives that team could very well be the Browns.

I don't buy it. Three way trades almost never happen in the NFL. In fact there have been no more than 3 in the last 20 years. I have heard on ESPN radio (not Clayton) they mentioned the 5th and BQ for Cutler and the 12th pick but I don't see Denver doing that without us throwing in something more like a first day pick next year unless they are that desperate to get this mess behind them. That package though without next year's pick might get it done as they are said to covet Raji highly with the switch to the 3-4 in Denver and they know he's unlikely to be on the board at #12.

That being said I have feeling that a deal with someone may already be in place. The owners meetings just wrapped up last week and Bowlen wants a deal to be done by draft day which is only four weeks away which makes it highly unlikely for a 3 team trade to be worked out by then especially considering the cap implications on some players that could be involved and the lack of a contract with the NFLPA next year. IMHO it wouldn't be wise for Bowlen to come out and say this unless he already had a deal in place.
"PREDICTION: R.I.P. Chief Wahoo"
Crash Davis

Favorite Player: Lawrence Vickers
Least Favorite Player: SteelerDramaQueenQB

Unread postby noles1 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:51 pm

Maybe it's just me but I just don't see us trading for Cutler. I think he would fit with us but everything in my being says that if this guy has such an issue with his surroundings that Cleveladn won't exactly resonate.
Playing here is the closest thing to heaven. Really, I mean it's amazing to be in a place where the fans truly cherish their football team and stick behind them win or lose. We players love them, too. I feel a sense of accomplishment playing here, we are a special breed of football players with a great opportunity." ~ tOSU LB Brian Rolle
noles1

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Mark May's Parents

Unread postby Crash Davis » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:56 pm

That may be true but where else is he gonna go? Who else has a starting caliber QB that Denver says they must have in return for Cutler?
Crash Davis

Unread postby OSU819903 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:28 am

(Just idle, somewhat frustrated speculation)

What if it isn't a true 3 team trade, but rather a trade where the Browns trade Cutler pretty much as soon as they get him for more picks and then draft Sanchez with the 12th they received from Denver.

1. Personally I do not want Sanchez but he is scheduled for a visit.
2. The team we're trading Cutler to would not have had a viable QB to offer up to Denver
"Forever, tomorrow and a day"
OSU819903

Favorite Player: A-Cab
Least Favorite Player: Chad, the Altel Guy

Unread postby Crash Davis » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:31 am

OSU819903 wrote:(Just idle, somewhat frustrated speculation)

What if it isn't a true 3 team trade, but rather a trade where the Browns trade Cutler pretty much as soon as they get him for more picks and then draft Sanchez with the 12th they received from Denver.

2. The team we're trading Cutler to would not have had a viable QB to offer up to Denver

Depends on who/how much were giving up to get Cutler? I want no part of a junior QB who should have stayed in school for another year as my starting QB next year or perhaps even the year after next.
Crash Davis

Unread postby Wolfy7 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:32 am

This is the biggest BS thread I have read in a long time. This is NOT going to happen! Cutler will be in Denver this year and probably for a long time after. They are not looking to move a young stud QB whose future is as bright as ANY young QB in the NFL! PERIOD. They wanted Cassel to fit the new regime’s style and the familiarity he had in the system, got caught with there hand in the cookie jar came away with egg on there face and now have to suck a little Cutler ASS... end of story... no story!!!!

PS. I cant believe that took 3 pages of discussion and don’t think I read all 3 pages of crap, BS, and hearsay… moot point when the guy will be there and probably retire there!
Wolfy7

Unread postby OSU819903 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:45 am

Crash Davis wrote:
OSU819903 wrote:(Just idle, somewhat frustrated speculation)

Depends on who/how much were giving up to get Cutler? I want no part of a junior QB who should have stayed in school for another year as my starting QB next year or perhaps even the year after next.

Only giving up BQ and swapping 1st round picks.
"Forever, tomorrow and a day"
OSU819903

Favorite Player: A-Cab
Least Favorite Player: Chad, the Altel Guy

Unread postby Lubber » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:51 am

Wolfy7 wrote:This is the biggest BS thread I have read in a long time. This is NOT going to happen! Cutler will be in Denver this year and probably for a long time after. They are not looking to move a young stud QB whose future is as bright as ANY young QB in the NFL! PERIOD. They wanted Cassel to fit the new regime’s style and the familiarity he had in the system, got caught with there hand in the cookie jar came away with egg on there face and now have to suck a little Cutler ASS... end of story... no story!!!!

PS. I cant believe that took 3 pages of discussion and don’t think I read all 3 pages of crap, BS, and hearsay… moot point when the guy will be there and probably retire there!

I would not call direct quotes from Bowlen as hearsay.
Lubber

Favorite Player: London Fletcher
Least Favorite Player: LeBron James

Unread postby Wolfy7 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:23 am

Lubber wrote:
Wolfy7 wrote:This is the biggest BS thread I have read in a long time. This is NOT going to happen! Cutler will be in Denver this year and probably for a long time after. They are not looking to move a young stud QB whose future is as bright as ANY young QB in the NFL! PERIOD. They wanted Cassel to fit the new regime’s style and the familiarity he had in the system, got caught with there hand in the cookie jar came away with egg on there face and now have to suck a little Cutler ASS... end of story... no story!!!!

I would not call direct quotes from Bowlen as hearsay.

Maybe after I get my shoe out of my mouth I can then get my foot out also! I probably should have read the 3 pages of discussion before I make my remarks! My Bad! :bag:

Just heard it on oh I dont know? EVERY sports information source I turned on in the past hour or so. :lmfao:

Thanks for not being harsh in your response! :cheers:
Wolfy7

Unread postby mistero » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:52 am

Deal 1:
Quinn to Denver
Browns get NYJ first rounder
Browns get Denver 4th rounder
Cutler to NYJ
Denver gets NYJ 2nd rounder
Denver gets NYJ 2nd rounder 2009

Deal 2:

Anderson to Denver
Cutler to NYJ
NYJ 2nd rounder to CLE
NYJ 2009 2nd rounder to CLE
NYJ 1st rounder to DEN
In Chud We Trust
mistero

Favorite Player: Miller High Life
Least Favorite Player: Natural Light

Unread postby yogi » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:30 am

Deal 2:

Anderson to Denver
Cutler to NYJ
NYJ 2nd rounder to CLE
NYJ 1st rounder to DEN

a 2nd this year and next for DA??????

Sign me up, but it would prob be a fairer trade for all if next year's 2nd round went to Denver instead of us.

But if Cutler didnt fit into Denver's plans, why would DA?

And yes, Quinn is the better fit cause of the O they are putting in, but we are putting on the same type O too. so....
It's Been Done Before
yogi
Jersey Accent

Unread postby fundamentals » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:33 am

This may have been said before somewhere in this thread or the ninety-five other ones advocating getting rid of DA, but I don't think Denver wants Mr. Anderson and he's in Ctown for the forseeable future. If Cutler comes here, Mr. Quinn is the one that will be jettisoned.
"It's all about winning for me, and I think the Cavs are committed to doing that," he said. "But at the same time I've given myself options to this point, and like I said before, me and my team, we have a game plan that we're going to execute, and we'll see what we get."

"We had a great time together."
fundamentals
Goodwill Ambassador

Favorite Player: Mariano Rivera
Least Favorite Player: Rex Ryan

Unread postby mistero » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:01 pm

Yogi, I think we get the extra pick because Denver has to deal. They are behind the 8 ball.

Of course they would prefer Quinn, but so would we. That's why the price would be stiffer for him.

Worst case senario we get Cutler and have to give up Quinn plus picks.

I would prefer sticking it out with DA if we could net a few picks to shore up other areas.

In my mind tradind DA for picks and letting Quinn start would be the best outcome.

Trading Quinn for a bounty of picks and starting DA would be 2nd.

Getting Cutler would not make me happy. Trading both guys and drafting Stafford or Sanchez would make me suicidal.
In Chud We Trust
mistero

Favorite Player: Miller High Life
Least Favorite Player: Natural Light

Unread postby jb » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:17 pm

mistero wrote:Worst case senario we get Cutler and have to give up Quinn plus picks.

Getting Cutler would not make me happy. Trading both guys and drafting Stafford or Sanchez would make me suicidal.

There yah go.

I just don't see Cutler, showing himself as the ultimate Me-First prima donna, as fitting into the "new culture" of KokMan.

But I could see us as getting draft picks, losing BQ, and trying to make due with DA as a cog QB not asked to win games, but make throws when there. I can see that as more probable than Cuter coming here.

I don't disagree with Bob that there is something to ourinvolvement in the talks. I just don't think Cutler fits in with the Kool Aid KokMan's been stirring.

Wasting 2 yers of BQ's off field development just to waste a high pick on another QB to do the same while DA throws picks makes me look for wrist cutting patterns as well, Mysterio.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h

Unread postby Guest » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:40 pm

yogi wrote:
Deal 2:

Anderson to Denver
Cutler to NYJ
NYJ 2nd rounder to CLE
NYJ 1st rounder to DEN

a 2nd this year and next for DA??????

Sign me up, but it would prob be a fairer trade for all if next year's 2nd round went to Denver instead of us.

But if Cutler didnt fit into Denver's plans, why would DA?

And yes, Quinn is the better fit cause of the O they are putting in, but we are putting on the same type O too. so....

No doubt. I'd be tickled mauve with getting one 2nd Rounder for DA, much less 2. That's more than the Pats got for Matt Cassel, and he actually has potential. I'd construct a Mankinis alter in my basement.

I don't see Denver wanting DA either.

Unread postby Bob Fergus » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:09 pm

Classic reaction stages of shock, then anger, denial, etc. The earliest reactions are emotional out here and a lot of ire is being directed at McDaniels along with Cut.

The only thing that has come out of this that pertains specifically to the Browns is that Josh McDaniels 'reportedly' LIKES Brady Quinn.

I don't have any context to place that very wishy-washy statement but it was said very matter-of-factly by one of the TV sports announcers like it was common knowledge. So take that for what its worth but I've felt all along that BQ was and is the only escape hatch for Josh McDaniels whose honeymoon is officially over in Denver.

This kid simply HAS to win in order to keep his job and he's got to win immediately to keep from going into the fire by, oh I'd say mid-quarter of the first game. He's installing a new offense. The most important player to install that new offense has just been given his walking papers. He needs a replacement ASAP and someone who has he confidence in to learn and run his system, the system he learned from Charlie Wies in New England.

Bob Fergus

Unread postby BroncoFan » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:00 pm

As a visiting Bronco guy, and not a troller, you could do worse than get Cutler out of this. Until McDaniels came in he was no problem in Denver at all, of course he obvioulsy has some growing up to do. The only thing I can guarantee for sure is when McDaniels comes out on the field next year he will get his ass boo'd off.
BroncoFan

Favorite Player: John Elway
Least Favorite Player: Phillip Rivers

Unread postby Jennifer » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:14 pm

For what it is worth Denver is looking for defensive help. Any trade invoving Cutler is going to net them both a QB and a defensive player -- although one or the other may be in the form of a high first round draft pick.

Denver in deciding to trade Cutler went from listening to every lame offer to being proactive. Denver is not going to "give" Cutler away. They are going to try a hard bargain and they will probasbly succeed.
I never learn anything if everyone always agrees with me.
Jennifer

Unread postby BroncoFan » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:23 pm

The Bronco boards are split as to who has been the bigger idiot in the whole mess Cutler or McD. Bowlen blew it as well by not recognizing this was getting out of hand sooner and that McD was unprepared to handle this.

Denver does need defensive help and that will be part of any deal. Marshall is out until July due to hip surgery today. All in all pretty soon we will have no where to go but up. I could also see, in the slimmest of chances, that no one puts together a package that Denver will take and since Cutler is under contract he has to show up (unless he sits for a year). I keep hearing TB, Washington and the Jets may dig deep though given they are a mess at the QB position. I'd still rather have Cutler than Simms though, and no offense to anyone here, I'm not sold on Quinn either.
BroncoFan

Unread postby BDFD » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:26 pm

I have no prediction as to where Cutler will end up but I say in the end Quinn is shipped to Denver, we end up with draft picks, DA starts, everyone hates Mangini for trading Quinn and will liken it to BB releasing Kosar, and we sign Leftwich to be the backup.

Leftwich's knowledge of the Steelers offense is reason enough to sign him IMO. I'd bet Mankok is thinking the same thing.

I like Cutler as a player but am not down with his prima donna-like behavoir as of late. Answer the phone dude.
BDFD

Favorite Player: Nuke LaLoosh
Least Favorite Player: Duke Temple

Unread postby buckeye319 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:55 pm

BDFD wrote:I have no prediction as to where Cutler will end up but I say in the end Quinn is shipped to Denver, we end up with draft picks, DA starts, everyone hates Mangini for trading Quinn and will liken it to BB releasing Kosar, and we sign Leftwich to be the backup.

Leftwich's knowledge of the Steelers offense is reason enough to sign him IMO. I'd bet Mankok is thinking the same thing.

I like Cutler as a player but am not down with his prima donna-like behavoir as of late. Answer the phone dude.

I'm not big on Quinn at all, but I hope they don't trade him unless we get Cutler in return. DA starting the first home game in Cleveland is one really bad idea.
buckeye319

Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: Stephen A. Smith

Unread postby ProgRocker » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:35 pm

I've made my decision: I don't want Cutler and I think if the Browns want to try to do a separate deal after Cutler is dealt to get them DA, go ahead and try. Doubt if they'd do it, but Quinn and a draft pick (or Rogers) is too much for a guy who has had his moments but has also been somewhat inconsistent (and may be a head case). Having DA as the starting QB in this town will get Mangini run out on a rail, fair or not, and I think DA needs to get out of Cleveland and get a new start.

In the end, I'd hope Mangini realized he has too many holes for the price Denver would ask, and if he can get a 2nd or 3rd for DA he should do it. I like the idea of signing Leftwich as a backup.

That's me.
Somehow ... Someway ... Give us JUST ONE VICTORY ... and we're on our way!
ProgRocker

Unread postby pup » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:35 am

ManKok is not going to give up draft picks. This much is clear. We are in the mix if it means we get draft picks, IMO.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby yogi » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:26 am

One thing has changed in the last couple of days...

Denver ain't demanding shit. They are NOT in the driver's seat.

But they can let the demand for Cutler drive up his price. Enter Washington. Snyder will want him. They do have a better than ok young QB they could trade along with a D player and picks. Thats where I see Cutler going. To an NFC team.
It's Been Done Before
yogi
Jersey Accent

Unread postby Jennifer » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:54 am

yogi wrote:One thing has changed in the last couple of days...

Denver ain't demanding shit. They are NOT in the driver's seat.

But they can let the demand for Cutler drive up his price. Enter Washington. Snyder will want him. They do have a better than ok young QB they could trade along with a D player and picks. Thats where I see Cutler going. To an NFC team.

They're not in the "driver's seat?" Would you mind explaining that. Particularly in view of the fact that you later acknowledge that demand will drive up his price.

The situation is not a bilateral negogiation where the buyer knows that the seller has to sell and that he, the buyer, is the only one interested in buying.

This is an auction like situation with multiple buyers and the price will likely be driven to, or at least near, the value placed on Cutler by the team that values him most. Indeed, as bidding wars sometimes go a bidder might make an offedr slightly in access of Cutler's value to it.
Jennifer

Unread postby Magic Brownies » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:27 am

BDFD wrote:Leftwich's knowledge of the Steelers offense is reason enough to sign him IMO. I'd bet Mankok is thinking the same thing.

Not sure how his "knowledge" of their Offense would help us? Unless we play him on Defense and he has "knowledge" of what plays they will run.

We aren't installing a Steeler copycat offense. And Leftwich has only been over there for less than a full year. So, if that knowledge of their offense in a backup QB was somehow important, I'm sure we could go get Brian St. Pierre or Charlie Batch.

Leftwich is a former first round bust with a questionable throwing motion and glacier-like speed. There are better options available like JP Losman or Rex Grossman.
Magic Brownies

Favorite Player: Run for the Hillis
Least Favorite Player: Rapistberger

Unread postby Jennifer » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:52 am

The Denver Broncos say Jay Cutler wants to get traded.

The star quarterback disagrees.

Glazer speaks with Cutler Jay Cutler spoke to FOXSports.com's Jay Glazer on Wednesday in an exclusive interview. Check out what Glazer had to say about the conversation HERE.
Cutler spoke exclusively Wednesday night with FOXSports.com's Jay Glazer at the UFC Fight Night 18 card in Nashville that both were attending. Cutler says he was shocked the Broncos issued a statement proclaiming he was on the block after conversations with agent Bus Cook.

"I was surprised they decided to trade me this soon," Cutler told Glazer in his first comments since the statement was released. "I didn't want to get traded. This wasn't me. (The Broncos) had been going back and forth saying things, wanting me to be their quarterback and then they didn't."

"I really didn't want this. I love Denver. I really like my teammates. I didn't want it to get this far."

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9403 ... et-traded'
Jennifer

Unread postby yogi » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:53 am

They're not in the "driver's seat?" Would you mind explaining that. Particularly in view of the fact that you later acknowledge that demand will drive up his price.

The situation is not a bilateral negogiation where the buyer knows that the seller has to sell and that he, the buyer, is the only one interested in buying.

On the one hand Denver has to now "sell" and take best the offer. If the best offer was clearly undervalued, they'd still have to take it. They cannot demand anything, cause they don't have the chip that says, we take Cutler off the table.

Up until 2 days ago, Denver had that chip.

That's what I meant.
It's Been Done Before
yogi
Jersey Accent

Unread postby jb » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:09 am

Jennifer wrote:

Glazer speaks with Cutler Jay Cutler spoke to FOXSports.com's Jay Glazer on Wednesday in an exclusive interview. Check out what Glazer had to say about the conversation HERE.
Cutler spoke exclusively Wednesday night with FOXSports.com's Jay Glazer at the UFC Fight Night 18 card in Nashville that both were attending. Cutler says he was shocked the Broncos issued a statement proclaiming he was on the block after conversations with agent Bus Cook.

"I was surprised they decided to trade me this soon," Cutler told Glazer in his first comments since the statement was released. "I didn't want to get traded. This wasn't me. (The Broncos) had been going back and forth saying things, wanting me to be their quarterback and then they didn't."

"I really didn't want this. I love Denver. I really like my teammates. I didn't want it to get this far."

Bobby, I can't believe you want to build a team and a new culture around this doosh.

I don't care if he can throw a navy bean through a Hummer, KokMan ain't havin' it.
jb

Unread postby Jennifer » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:24 am

yogi wrote:

On the one hand Denver has to now "sell" and take best the offer. If the best offer was clearly undervalued, they'd still have to take it. They cannot demand anything, cause they don't have the chip that says, we take Cutler off the table.

Up until 2 days ago, Denver had that chip.

That's what I meant.

Nope! Denver in publicly announcing Cutler was on the market already knew it could get an acceptable offer. Auctions without reservation are very common in situations where the demand is known ahead of time.

Additionally, you are overlooking that the dynamics when there are multiple potential buyers instead of just one. Whether the seller can or cannot withdraw is completely irrelevant because they can withhold him from each potential buyer. The buyers are competiting against one and other and have no reason to let one of the others get Cutler for less than substantial value.

And just because Denver said they wanted to trade Cutler doesn't mean that they can't publicly changed their minds because no one offered them enough.
Jennifer

Unread postby Guest » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:35 am

Gotta agree with JB on this one. Previously, I was leaning toward Cutler because he's a serious upgrade over DA and likely an upgrade over Quinn. He's a proven commodity.

But there's more to being a QB than physical skills. He's a whiner, a sulker, me-first, totally unprofessional. Answer the phone, Jay. Return the messages. Stop acting like my ex-wife.

Then there's the idea that he doesn't want to come to the Browns because he doesn't want to suffer through another Bellichick tree branch, and he's gonna want a new contract wherever he goes... he's a Time Bomb, the way TO's a Time Bomb. You just know that when things don't go his way, the vocal pouting will begin.

Not that I mind one of the QB's getting traded, but I'd rather get picks in return to shore up the multiple holes than Jay Cutler.

Don't worry. The Skins will quickly raise the bidding out of anyone's realistic range. They can have Pouty Jay.

I can deal with a player with off-the-field character issues if he's a good teammate and a good player. But players with on-the-field character issues just murder teams. How many Cowboys and Redskins teams of recent memory have been just loaded with talent on paper, but imploded on the field?

Team chemistry does help a team play better - just look at the Cavs.

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:37 am

Hiko wrote:Don't worry. The Skins will quickly raise the bidding out of anyone's realistic range. They can have Pouty Jay.

Whether it's accurate or not, my impression from the Skins fans I know is that the organization thinks Jason Campbell is a bettter QB than Jay Cutler. I'd be very very very very surprised to see Cutler end up in Washington.

Minnesota or Chicago, however ...
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Favorite Player: Withheld
Least Favorite Player: David Huff

Unread postby jb » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:44 am

I can deal with a player with off-the-field character issues if he's a good teammate and a good player. But players with on-the-field character issues just murder teams.

Word.
jb

Unread postby Guest » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:45 am

Steve Buffum wrote:
Hiko wrote:Don't worry. The Skins will quickly raise the bidding out of anyone's realistic range. They can have Pouty Jay.

Whether it's accurate or not, my impression from the Skins fans I know is that the organization thinks Jason Campbell is a bettter QB than Jay Cutler. I'd be very very very very surprised to see Cutler end up in Washington.

The 2 Skins fans I know melted down about Campbell as the team melted down in the 2nd half of the season. They felt about Campbell the way many of us feel about DA. They were calling for Colt Brennan at the end.

Course, those 2 guys aren't all there, so they could be a bad sampling.

If I were the Skins, I think the asking price would be too high for me to make this move, especially with a decent QB in the house. But it just seems like the kind of high profile move the Washington Snyders like making.

And I agree, MIN, CHI, DET, TB, NYJ... these should be the teams making a play for Cutler.

Unread postby JCoz » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:50 am

Steve Buffum wrote:

Really? Because I heard a quote from Vinny C/S? (Washington President of football ops)on Campbell that was pretty unflattering yesterday on the radio (comment was made a while ago though...January)

I don't get that impression at all listening to Washington radio everyday.

Snyder is a moron, he will likely trade Campbell, a first and a 3rd for Cutler because thats the type of stuff he does.
JCoz
Donnie, you're out of your element

Favorite Player: Competency
Least Favorite Player: Gene Smith

Unread postby TouchEmAllTime » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:55 am

JCoz wrote:
Steve Buffum wrote:

Really? Because I heard a quote from Vinny C/S? (Washington President of football ops)on Campbell that was pretty unflattering yesterday on the radio (comment was made a while ago though...January)

I don't get that impression at all listening to Washington radio everyday.

Snyder is a moron, he will likely trade Campbell, a first and a 3rd for Cutler because thats the type of stuff he does.

Totally agree, they seem to value the draft as much as we value building a winning tradition.
Bring the NHL to C-Town.
TouchEmAllTime

Favorite Player: James Haslam
Least Favorite Player: 2013 #1 Pick

Unread postby Triple-S » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:07 pm

Hiko wrote:Gotta agree with JB on this one. Previously, I was leaning toward Cutler because he's a serious upgrade over DA and likely an upgrade over Quinn. He's a proven commodity.

But there's more to being a QB than physical skills. He's a whiner, a sulker, me-first, totally unprofessional. Answer the phone, Jay. Return the messages. Stop acting like my ex-wife.

Then there's the idea that he doesn't want to come to the Browns because he doesn't want to suffer through another Bellichick tree branch, and he's gonna want a new contract wherever he goes... he's a Time Bomb, the way TO's a Time Bomb. You just know that when things don't go his way, the vocal pouting will begin.

Not that I mind one of the QB's getting traded, but I'd rather get picks in return to shore up the multiple holes than Jay Cutler.

Don't worry. The Skins will quickly raise the bidding out of anyone's realistic range. They can have Pouty Jay.

I can deal with a player with off-the-field character issues if he's a good teammate and a good player. But players with on-the-field character issues just murder teams. How many Cowboys and Redskins teams of recent memory have been just loaded with talent on paper, but imploded on the field?

Team chemistry does help a team play better - just look at the Cavs.

Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby Bob Fergus » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:07 pm

Bob Fergus wrote:Classic reaction stages of shock, then anger, denial, etc. The earliest reactions are emotional out here and a lot of ire is being directed at McDaniels along with Cut.

The only thing that has come out of this that pertains specifically to the Browns is that Josh McDaniels 'reportedly' LIKES Brady Quinn.

I don't have any context to place that very wishy-washy statement but it was said very matter-of-factly by one of the TV sports announcers like it was common knowledge. So take that for what its worth but I've felt all along that BQ was and is the only escape hatch for Josh McDaniels whose honeymoon is officially over in Denver.

This kid simply HAS to win in order to keep his job and he's got to win immediately to keep from going into the fire by, oh I'd say mid-quarter of the first game. He's installing a new offense. The most important player to install that new offense has just been given his walking papers. He needs a replacement ASAP and someone who has he confidence in to learn and run his system, the system he learned from Charlie Wies in New England.

The Honeymoon is over.

http://www.denverpost.com/sportsheadlines/ci_12050978?source=rss
broncos
McDaniels' honeymoon period over
By Lindsay H. Jones
The Denver Post
Posted: 04/02/2009 12:30:00 AM MDT
Josh McDaniels might soon be free of his biggest headache, but that doesn't mean his challenges are ending.

McDaniels, not even three months into his job as the Broncos new coach, must reassure a somewhat divided locker room and win over a disgruntled fan base after he and the rest of the Broncos' brass have decided to trade quarterback Jay Cutler.

So much for the honeymoon period.

"A lot of people are upset with him," said Alfred Williams, a former Broncos defensive linemen who co-hosts a daily sports talk radio show. "They just don't know him, and that's the bottom line."

... The players who have spoken publicly since Cutler failed to join them more than two weeks ago have said the feud between the quarterback and the coach hasn't been a distraction. But privately, there is concern of a split between players recently signed by McDaniels and the holdovers from the Mike Shanahan era.

"I'm sure there's a split, but I think one thing McDaniels has done for himself is there is no question who's in charge in that locker room," said former Bronco Mark Schlereth, an NFL analyst for ESPN. "On the flip side of that, you also essentially, in the eyes of many guys who play, you ran the best player on your team out of town. I'm sure a lot of guys in that locker room that are thinking, 'You just took our best chance to win.' "

The drama in Denver is an OPPORTUNITY for the Browns because BQ is the ONLY viable escape hatch for Josh McDaniels.

We are the only team in the mix that has leverage. The interest in Jay is high and that means people who need a QB will pay a high asking price but none of them have a viable QB who fits the Denver offense as well as BQ.

Per interest, Da Bears couldn't even get through on the phone to talk to the Bronco's new GM because the lines at Dove Valley were flooded with inquiring calls.

Jason Cambell isn't in the same zip code as Cutler as a QB let alone a good fit for McDaniels' offense. Their is only one QB who could come in and immediately start and who knows that offense and who is young enough that McDaniels could form and grow with him and that is Brady Quinn. Its hand-glove, love-marriage, ying to McDaniel's yang...

We are the only team that holds a picture perfect replacement who could salve the festering wound that is eroding the confidence in Josh McDaniels locker room. Jason Cambell doesn't fit that offense and he didn't fit the Zorn offense. Rex Grossman doesn't fit. Kellen Clemmons is closer to fitting but COME ON. I mean people are grasping at straws if they think Kellen Clemmons could take heat off of Josh McDaniels.

The only QB who fits and comes close to having a 'Q' factor that the Donkey fanbase could except as a viable replacement is BQ. The Donkey campers are NOT happy. The pressure would only increase if they come out of this without a viable QB replacement.
"I want to see how we're on the path to winning. I want to see how our team is better without Jay Cutler," Schlereth said. "Do we get a quarterback? Do we get draft picks? Do we get a prominent defensive player?"

The Broncos can't come out of this with mid-level-first round draft picks and/or a bad fit QB or a rookie who will take years to get up to speed.

McDaniels has to win immediately and his best shot to win right away is if he's got a QB who can hit the ground running, that rules out any rookie. He has to have a QB who fits his offense, that rules out basically every team who is being mentioned as having interest in Cut outside of Cleveland. They need a QB who the Bronco fanbase can accept.

That means the Browns have an opportunity and that is what I've been saying all along. That doesn't mean we would have an interest in taking Cut for ourselves but we could leverage the interest in Cut and that means we stand to benefit from the Cutler auction.
Bob Fergus

Unread postby Bob Fergus » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:46 pm

JB wrote:
Jennifer wrote:

Bobby, I can't believe you want to build a team and a new culture around this doosh.

I don't care if he can throw a navy bean through a Hummer, KokMan ain't havin' it.

Robert Smith is low key, he's not angling for a close-up by Mr. Deville.
You can harp on Jay being a drama-mamma but I only care about steak not sizzle. You don't have all of the facts and are allowing the herd emotions to get in the way with sound bidnezz decisions.

I see Prime grade AAA beef.

Jay Cutler Split Stats by quarter for the 2008 season:
1st Qtr 94/143 (65.7%) for 1056 yards (7.39 ypa), 7 TDs, 5 interceptions, 1.0 sacks, 89.4 QB rating
2nd Qtr 91/146 (62.3%) for 1103 yards (7.56 ypa), 5 TDs, 4 interceptions, 2.0 sacks, 85.5 QB rating
3rd Qtr 99/160 (61.9%) for 1155 yards (7.22 ypa), 2 TDs, 5 interceptions, 3.0 sacks, 74.9 QB rating
4th Qtr 100/167 (59.9%) for 1212 yards (7.26 ypa), 11 TDs, 4 interceptions, 5.0 sacks, 94.2 QB rating

Their are two types of QBs.

One type isn't gifted but can fit a system and can drive an offense.

Another type can strap a team on their backs and pull an offense. Jay isn't sizzle, he's steak.

You say yeah but he's chock full-o drama? He's flawed or else he wouldn't be in this situation but Jay is the only one guilty of drama in this sordid affair. Think about the guy who fired Mike Shannahan for this guy:

Pat Bowlen channelled Alberto Gonzalez when confronted with what he said to Jay after he fired Shanny. Bowlen said he didn't recall saying anything to Jay.
"I really have had no discussion with Jay or the agent. Mike was fired right after the season. At that point, there was no need to have a discussion with Jay. Now, actually, to be fair, I don't think I had that discussion. I don't recall it. I know I'm getting up there in age, and I am not sure of that discussion," Bowlen told NFL.com.

Maybe Pat can't Google but I can.

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_11346088
broncos
Full transcript of Bowlen, Shanahan press conferences
By The Denver Broncos Media Information Staff
Posted: 12/31/2008 04:03:28 PM MST
Updated: 12/31/2008 08:48:23 PM MST
BRONCOS PRESIDENT AND CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER PAT BOWLEN

... On whether he has talked with any of the players and gotten their reactions
"I talked to (QB) Jay Cutler, and Jay understood the conversation. I talked to him this morning. I didn't get any negative feedback. I think he understands enough about the business of football, the game of football, that there are going to be coaching changes and changes in organizations. I didn't sense that Jay had any negative feelings about it, and I'm sure he is very interested in who is going to be the next head coach. Obviously, he is the man around here now, so I will be talking with Jay."
Bob Fergus

Unread postby yogi » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:50 pm

Please help me cause I must be dense......

Their is only one QB who could come in and immediately start and who knows that offense and who is young enough that McDaniels could form and grow with him and that is Brady Quinn. Its hand-glove, love-marriage, ying to McDaniel's yang...

If we are running the same friggin Offense why would we want to move Quinn???

:dead:
It's Been Done Before
yogi
Jersey Accent

Unread postby jb » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:51 pm

Bob Fergus wrote:
JB wrote:
Jennifer wrote:

Robert Smith is low key, he's not angling for a close-up by Mr. Deville.
You can harp on Jay being a drama-mamma but I only care about steak not sizzle. You don't have all of the facts and are allowing the herd emotions to get in the way with sound bidnezz decisions.

I see Prime grade AAA beef.

Jay Cutler Split Stats by quarter for the 2008 season:
1st Qtr 94/143 (65.7%) for 1056 yards (7.39 ypa), 7 TDs, 5 interceptions, 1.0 sacks, 89.4 QB rating
2nd Qtr 91/146 (62.3%) for 1103 yards (7.56 ypa), 5 TDs, 4 interceptions, 2.0 sacks, 85.5 QB rating
3rd Qtr 99/160 (61.9%) for 1155 yards (7.22 ypa), 2 TDs, 5 interceptions, 3.0 sacks, 74.9 QB rating
4th Qtr 100/167 (59.9%) for 1212 yards (7.26 ypa), 11 TDs, 4 interceptions, 5.0 sacks, 94.2 QB rating

Their are two types of QBs.

One type isn't gifted but can fit a system and can drive an offense.

Another type can strap a team on their backs and pull an offense. Jay isn't sizzle, he's steak.

You say yeah but he's chock full-o drama? He's flawed or else he wouldn't be in this situation but Jay is the only one guilty of drama in this sordid affair. Think about the guy who fired Mike Shannahan for this guy:

Pat Bowlen channelled Alberto Gonzalez when confronted with what he said to Jay after he fired Shanny. Bowlen said he didn't recall saying anything to Jay.
"I really have had no discussion with Jay or the agent. Mike was fired right after the season. At that point, there was no need to have a discussion with Jay. Now, actually, to be fair, I don't think I had that discussion. I don't recall it. I know I'm getting up there in age, and I am not sure of that discussion," Bowlen told NFL.com.

Maybe Pat can't Google but I can.

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_11346088
broncos
Full transcript of Bowlen, Shanahan press conferences
By The Denver Broncos Media Information Staff
Posted: 12/31/2008 04:03:28 PM MST
Updated: 12/31/2008 08:48:23 PM MST
BRONCOS PRESIDENT AND CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER PAT BOWLEN

... On whether he has talked with any of the players and gotten their reactions
"I talked to (QB) Jay Cutler, and Jay understood the conversation. I talked to him this morning. I didn't get any negative feedback. I think he understands enough about the business of football, the game of football, that there are going to be coaching changes and changes in organizations. I didn't sense that Jay had any negative feelings about it, and I'm sure he is very interested in who is going to be the next head coach. Obviously, he is the man around here now, so I will be talking with Jay."

You still haven't convinced me, or convinced me the Browns have a real interest outside of what is in the media, but well done, sir.

Very well done...

The Robert Smith p-shop is epic.
jb

Unread postby BroncoFan » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:17 pm

Ok a couple of things here,

1. Jay has not been a head case on the field, he only became a head case through the media and 90% of the dolts writing are making up their stories as they go along. I don't think other than Jay, McD, Jay's apparently idiot agent Bus Cook, and Bowlen anyone really knows what has transpired. Heck with Bowlen's apparent memory loss I'm not sure even he knows. Remember Bus is the genius that managed Farve to the Jets last year and we saw how well that was handled in the press. Worked out fine for Bus $$$ but I don't think Brett ever wanted to be there. There is no doubt in my mind, however, that McD should have been on a plane to find Jay and talk to him in person. He is trying to bring a Patriots system and a Belichick mentality to Denver. The system may work, but he hasn't come close to earning Belichick respect yet so he should be doing more, IMHO, to fix this.

2. Denver is far from enamored with Quinn and I don't know why anyone would think Quinn is such a perfect fit for McDaniels system.

3. There is still a chance, although small, that all of this will amount to nothing. Players and teams have a way of making up if the right circumstances occur. Players with lousy character get recycled through the league all the time against all odds. True it often ends up imploding sooner or later but Jay had no management issues prior to this. The next two weeks will be interesting.
BroncoFan

PreviousNext

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL