Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Finally, Someone Gives Sean Jones His Due

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Finally, Someone Gives Sean Jones His Due

Unread postby swerb » Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:17 pm

Sean Jones makes Dr Z's All-Pro team. This kid had an unbelievable season this year, and went from a part time player to one of the best safeties in all of football this season.

Man, I read this morning ... Grossi said Jones dropped 5 picks this year too. He had 5, and was all around the ball all season. He could have legitimately had 11-12 picks. He also really showed the ability to come up and support the run once ball carriers blew past the Browns DL.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/w ... ros/4.html

STRONG SAFETY (Sean Jones)

I'm not even going to name the six guys I looked at. I'm only going to mention one because he came on stronger than any DB in my dossier. He was, in other words, brilliant. I'm talking about Sean Jones, a three-year veteran and first-year starter for the Browns. In the first loss to Baltimore they threw into his coverage five times and completed one for 12 yards. He knocked down three passes, in addition to coming up to the line when needed and plugging. In the victory over the Raiders they threw at him four times, completed zero. He knocked down one and made four good stiff tackles near the line. I did not chart many Cleveland games after that. I saw them recreationally a few times. I was constantly aware of this young guy making plays. I called up their DB coach, Mel Tucker. How good is Sean Jones? "Absolutely great," he said. I called up Todd Grantham, their defensive coordinator. Who's the best player on your defense? "Oh, Sean Jones, that's an easy one." My great joy as an all-pro picker is finding someone a year or two before he's discovered. I've found one.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby yogi » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:23 am

Well, along with the KW twins on either side of the ball. We got 3 legit players.

I believe that's a high water mark for the Browns since the re-birth.

Now let's get 3 more and .500 is more than a possibility!

BTW, we have a few guys on the roster that could belong with a good/healthy 2007 - Bodden & LeCharles (health) BE and Pool (maturity and potential) could join this list next year.

If we add AP, that's a strong case for yet another.

It has to start with players.
yogi
Jersey Accent

Unread postby furls » Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:00 pm

You guys are killing me with the AP talk. It is not like he is reggie bush or something.

Personally, I would prefer the browns address the O-line, get that shored up and get an RB next year. Next year's RB class looks amazing and DEEP. Ray Rice, Slaton, McFadden, etc.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby pup » Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:25 pm

4 of the top 10 leaders in rushing yards made the play-offs this year. Why would you build around 1 running back in the NFL anymore is beyond me! Draft linemen! Make the team sound from the inside out. Being able to block, improves every facet of your offense. There is no quick fix in bringing in skill players. There is no success in bringing in FA linemen as a quick fix. Draft linemen.

You see it every year. Running backs are a dime a dozen and very rarely are the reson teams win. Give me a solid o-line and a defense that won't be on the field 40 minutes a game and you will begin to see progress with the Browns. Drafting AP will only continue us on our path pf becoming the Detroit Lions. Awesome, we have good skill players! Damn it we can't open a hole or our QB is laying on his back!
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby wmurphyhh » Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:16 pm

I got to agree with Pup on this one.

Take a look at these stats:
306 carries, 1506 yds, 4.2 avg, 13 TDs
337, 1159, 3.4, 6

The first line is Edge from '05 with the Colts.
The second line is Edge this year with the Cards. An offensive line means everything. Also saw a stat that Peyton only gets sacked on 10% of his attempts.

I'm sure someone will say Edge is getting older and losing it...so
how about Addai's stats for this year:
226 attempts
1081 yards
4.8 avg
7 TDs

That's almost a yard and half more than Edge. Plus Edge only had less than 100 yards more than Addai on 111 more carries.
wmurphyhh
"Murph"

Favorite Player: Joe Haden
Least Favorite Player: Chris Johnson

Unread postby pup » Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:22 pm

I got to agree with Pup on this one

Careful....your message board approval rating just took a big hit!
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby furls » Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:04 pm

Big props Pup. I have been trying to preach this for weeks.

What is interesting in the NFL is that the only RBs that the NFL GMs seem hestitant to part with are the absolute elite; Alexander, LT, and probably Reggie Bush. Other than that, good running backs are fairly common and expendable.

AP is a good RB prospect, but right now I feel like he is probably not an elite prospect like Bush. Therefore, I would be hesitant to take him, especially given the strength of the 2008 draft class (Hart, McFadden, Slaton, Rice, Etc.). Let's build a line this year, get it together and then pick up a RB next year.

If Troy Smith falls to the second round take him, if not I will bummed to see him in another uniform, but the Browns will be better off (and so will he). Build the line this year, let Frye take another ass pounding, while we get it together and then fill in skill positions the next year. Hopefully, the Browns can get Smith in the second round and he can begin learning the NFL next year, while the Browns continue on this rebuild.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL