Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Coaching Change Rumors

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Coaching Change Rumors

Unread postby pup » Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:48 am

Terry Robiskie and Ben Coates have been let go.

Jason Garrett, currently Dolphins QB coach is an earlt front runner for the OC position. Garrett is a graduate of University Schools in NE Ohio. Played QB at Princeton. Played with Cowboys during Super Bowl years.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby consigliere » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:14 pm

How about we fire the head coach first?

If they come back with both Savage and Crennel it is pure idiocy. Another season down the drains next year....and my worst nightmare is Crennel returns and we play a little above our heads and go like 7-9 or 8-8 and then he returns another year! We are not winning anything with this guy as the head coach. Cut bait now!
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby wmurphyhh » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:28 pm

Do you think Terry was bacause of Edwards ?
wmurphyhh
"Murph"

Favorite Player: Joe Haden
Least Favorite Player: Chris Johnson

Unread postby pup » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:31 pm

How about we fire the head coach first?

If they come back with both Savage and Crennel it is pure idiocy. Another season down the drains next year....and my worst nightmare is Crennel returns and we play a little above our heads and go like 7-9 or 8-8 and then he returns another year! We are not winning anything with this guy as the head coach. Cut bait now!

You know me, I am all for bashing the HC when teams underperform, but I really think there are only 2 people that will coach the Browns next year and they are RAC or Tressel. If anyone else was in the mix, we would have seen some movement by now. I think they are doing the same thing Bama did...float the name then wait for the season to end before making a move. Since most people I have heard on the subject say there is no way Tressel is coming, I guess you should prepare for another year of RAC.

They can't really do any talking to candidates as long as RAC is still the coach, so if a name that is out there (Mora) but RAC is still here, you can probably cross him off the list.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby consigliere » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:39 pm

What is another year of Crennel going to prove? This team will still be the worst team in the division next year no matter what we do this offseason, so it is a lost season anyway. Get a new guy in here. If they bring RAC back, it is completely unacceptable and I'll be riding the Browns hard all year.

If it were not for my soon to be 3 year old son, I'd have given up my season tickets years ago. Disgusting.
consigliere

Unread postby Dozen » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:41 pm

This is a very touchy situation, on one hand I hate to see another turnaround at HC. I really dont mind Savage, but it became clear that Romeo could not control his players, especially Edwards. Even when RAC decided to bench him, he still had enough nuts to come out wearing white shoes. To me that clearly indicated he had no control. Maybe Pup is right with the Tressel rumors (i.e. Saban) Or maybe Cowher in another year. Regardless they need to clean this mess up in a hurry.
Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Favorite Player: my son
Least Favorite Player: venomous/bipolar

Unread postby pup » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:26 pm

Maybe Pup is right

That's not something you see on these boards everyday :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby Dozen » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:33 pm

It hurt my thumb that your belly broke to type that :thumright:
Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Unread postby comish » Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:55 pm

Unless JT leaves Columbus is there really another option?

You gotta remember, the Steelers job AND the Dolphins job are open...who in the wide wide world of sports would come here when those jobs have CLEARLY more IMMEDIATE upside? You will also be battling the Cardinals and Raiders for available candidates....it hurts to say it, but we may be better off keeping him around for another year.

Romeo, Romeo where for......ah never mind :cry :cry:
"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
comish
Champion of Mediocrity

Unread postby consigliere » Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:03 pm

Oh joy. Looks like we get the sequel to:

consigliere

Unread postby comish » Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:11 pm

Giggle :lol:

You have WAY to much time on your hands...at least at work anyway :mrgreen:
"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
comish
Champion of Mediocrity

Unread postby consigliere » Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:14 pm

Ha! Not as much time as I used too....I have responsibilities now and I am Rich's slave. :mrgreen:
consigliere

Unread postby furls » Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:50 pm

I don't think the Steelers job is really open. I am willing to bet that this job stays in house. I am not sure who is available, unfortunately not enough guys were unjustly fired this year. I was hoping Gruden would get the axe. I would like to see him up here.
Coming from a Wolverine, we're the football equivalent of a formerly abused wife of a meth addict who just remarried the safe nice guy. We're just glad we have someone who's aware that it's a rivalry and that tackling on defense is integral. Baby steps.

-Kingpin74
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby Dozen » Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:12 pm

For the record, I could give a shit less that Garret has any ties here. I dont think he's a even an average choice. :-| :neutral: :|
Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Unread postby dpdad » Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:32 pm

Face it, people. RAC will be here for another year. I want to see him out as much as anyone else, but it ain't gonna happen.

To me, keeping Romeo around just means the Browns will be set back another year. I just don't see him turning this team into a playoff contender. Unless the Browns start off 1-6 or something like that, RAC will probably coach thru the 2007 season.

With Eric Wedge, Mike Brown, and Romeo Crennel, Cleveland sports teams have to have the most inept trio of managers/coaches of any major city in America.
dpdad

Unread postby Dozen » Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:57 pm

POSTED 9:42 a.m. EST; LAST UPDATED 11:08 a.m. EST, January 6, 2007

CRENNEL HAS NO CONTROL OVER HIS STAFF

Multiple league sources have advised us that the current exodus of assistants from the Browns organization is occurring regardless of the opinions of the head coach.

The problem is that Crennel's contract doesn't reserve to him the ability to hire and fire assistant coaches. It's believed that the current decisions regarding who'll stay and who'll go are being made not by Crennel, but by G.M. Phil Savage.

Per one source, Crennel's contract says that he serves at the pleasure of the President of the Club and also will perform "other duties that may be reasonably assigned to him by the President of the Club." Nothing in the contract says that he has the exclusive ability to build and change his staff.

Gone in the past two days are receivers coach Terry Robiskie, offensive quality control coach Carl Crennel (Romeo's nephew), tight ends coach Ben Coates, and strength and conditioning coach John Lott.

Running backs coach Dave Atkins also is reportedly in danger of being fired.

So while we reported earlier in the week that Crennel might have to overhaul his staff in order to remain employed, it now appears that Crennel had no power to prevent the moves that already have occurred.
http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm
Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Unread postby consigliere » Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:17 pm

Lame duck.

This org is downright laughable. We need to clean house.....owner, GM, coaches.....everything. Hell, can we just get a new expansion team and start over? :lol:
consigliere

Unread postby Dozen » Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:26 pm

While it may be painful right now, it's better than not having a team. :safe:
Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Unread postby consigliere » Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:11 pm

Bill Henry wrote:While it may be painful right now, it's better than not having a team. :safe:

I don't know about that....... :eye:
consigliere

Unread postby pup » Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:27 pm

Is there a coach available right now that can take the Browns to the play offs? I cannot think of one that instantly make them that much better. I am now more willing to see RAC see this thing through, with some better coaches under him. I have heard a lot of talk lately about position coaches being much more important than the HC, and the Browns had some of the worst postion coaches in the NFL, from what I hear. Maybe a new OC (I like the Knapp rumors) with some offensive position coaches can light a fire.

The Browns are one of the least talented teams in the NFL today, a new head coach will not change that. The problem is where they are weak are positions that take time to improve and no head coach can change that either. Give RAC a third year, address the OL and DL through FA and draft. If we waste another year, it will have been a lost year anyway, even with a new HC, IMO.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby consigliere » Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:53 pm

Who said anything about going to the playoffs? How about we get a new coach in here next year to get his feet wet and estblish his system? So, we can make that run at the playoffs in 2008? Right now, new coach or not, 2007 is a dead season. But, by bringing Romeo back, you possibly have set yourself back in 2008.....or even 2009...since we will be looking for a new coach next year.
consigliere

Unread postby pup » Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:11 pm

Right now, new coach or not, 2007 is a dead season. But, by bringing Romeo back, you possibly have set yourself back in 2008.....or even 2009...since we will be looking for a new coach next year.

How long does it take for a new coach to "implement his system"? A new coach in 2008 can have his system implemented and ready to go before training camp even opens. With all the mini-camps and voluntary workouts, it's not like you need a season to get it going.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby consigliere » Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:14 pm

So just keep a lame duck coach around? And, what happens if the team over-achieves some next year and they go 7-9 or 8-8? Then we get ANOTHER year of Crennel. Yippee!

Dump him now. Let's get a new guy in here, draft a QB with the 1st pick, establish our team in 2007, and gun for 2008.
consigliere

Unread postby pup » Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:32 pm

So just keep a lame duck coach around? And, what happens if the team over-achieves some next year and they go 7-9 or 8-8? Then we get ANOTHER year of Crennel. Yippee!

If he goes 8-8, then he stays and continues to build on that. With how long it obviously takes to implement a new system, I don't see how a new coach could have this team ready to compete in 2008.

Let's get a new guy in here, draft a QB with the 1st pick, establish our team in 2007, and gun for 2008.

Please name the top 10 QB's in the NFL.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby consigliere » Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:05 pm

Ask Cowboy Fan how much they loved bringing back Dave Campo for a 3rd season. That's what Crennel is, Dave Campo. Crennel is a fine assistant coach, but not a head coach. It is infuriating to think that this time next year we'll be here looking for a new coach and all I can say is "I told ya so." :cry :cry:
consigliere

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL