Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Winslow traded to Tampa Bay for undisclosed picks

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Re: Winslow traded to Tampa Bay for undisclosed picks

Unread postby jb » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:15 pm

Chris wrote:
JB wrote:
Chris wrote:
ProgRocker wrote:
Pup wrote:Anyone take this bet...Pro Bowl appearances for Winslow versus any Browns TE for the rest of Kellen's career?

I'll take that bet. What's in it?

Seriously, even if he's right, who cares? Tight ends aren't exactly the most important ingredients to a Superbowl caliber team. I'd take a Pro Bowl linebacker, receiver, quarterback, nose tackl, left tackle, right tackle (any O lineman in fact) and possibly other positions way , way before I took a pro bowl TE.

Ever watch Jay Novachek?

BQ as QB? His style? His system to succeed?

And creating hole just to fill them makes any sense how?

Jesus. And here I thought you could think. Do you understand football?

This is politcal. 100 % .

BEST BE RIGHT.

Hold your horses Charlie, don't fall off the high horse quite yet.

I agree it is partly political. They are getting rid of a potential drama llama, and a guy who apparently is STILL crowing for a new, bigger contract. I like Winslow, but he is (and I hate this) what he is.

We don't need him, he doesn't fit in with what Mangini is building, so he is gone for draft picks that will be used to get players who 1) do fit in with what he is building and 2) don't have knees that are going to collapse sometime within the next year and 3) will actually see the field, unlike Winslow who is always hurt.

And seriously, I said TE isn't exactly the most important ingredient to a Superbowl caliber club. So you list me a great TE who won a Superbowl? Please tell me what the HELL that has to do with anything.

And here, I thought you could think.

I keep going back to Dallas.

What was Troy like with Novachek? Then without? The Super Bowl Nazi showed up and said, "Troy, no super bowl for you!".

Same as what Jonston meant to Smith.

Dave Casper & Ken Stabler. 1977. That's one.

90's Cowboys dynasty.

The 49ers always had superb TE's, and that is a necesary requirement for the WCO.

Mark Bavaro was the best in ' 86 IMO .

Jacuzzi HS Cheerleading creep was a great TE for GB for a while.

Shannon Sharpe won three titles as the best TE in the NFL.

Dallas Clark does more for Manning than you think.

A TE is not a quaterback, a RB, or a pass rusher. He's not even a lock down corner. But having a TE who can get open and catch is critical to most quartebacks success in the way a killer FB is for an I back .

To dimisish that contributeion when you are allegedly grooming Quinn just to feel better about a mashugahuh move continues to make my eyes bleed.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby pup » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:17 pm

(whew) I am just glad the GM in Tampa is soooo stupid.

Just gave up 2 draft choices for:

A malcontent who runs bad routes doesn't score touchdowns has a hard time staying on the field because of injuries and he doesn't block anybody.

That GM is an asshat. :hic:
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:08 pm

What was Troy like with Novachek? Then without? The Super Bowl Nazi showed up and said, "Troy, no super bowl for you!".

90's Cowboys dynasty.

The 49ers always had superb TE's, and that is a necesary requirement for the WCO.

A TE is not a quaterback, a RB, or a pass rusher. He's not even a lock down corner. But having a TE who can get open and catch is critical to most quartebacks success in the way a killer FB is for an I back .

Bleah!......Let me tell ya sumthin......its not about the value of a quality TE to the Offense, its about trading in that 4 yr old Ford pick-up with low miles and a clean interior to some dumbass for him to find out a year or so later that it plowed snow and the frame was bent....F - O - R - D ....Found On Road Dead...and that 9er yir thinkin 'bout was Brent Jones

...but yeah, think Billy Joe Dupree
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
Fire Marshall Bill

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Unread postby FUDU » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:24 am

Who was Kellen Winslow?

Signed,

Joe Delaney.
Criminals in this town used to believe in things...honor, respect.
"I heard your dog is sick, so bought you this shovel"

2011 TCF Stratomatic Champ
FUDU

Favorite Player: Me
Least Favorite Player: You

Unread postby pod2dawg » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:52 am

Hey it was time for K II to go. He is Pro-Bowl caliber and "may" flourish in the "Bay"... as long as they aren't expecting to run to his side (wink-wink). He can catch it with anyone. Does have a little trouble with separation and routes aren't as crisp as you'd like, but does usually outjump and outwrestle the opponent for the ball if thrown in his neighborhood. He was one of the weapons opponents had to gameplan for. I love Heiden & have hopes for Rucker, but 13 defensive co-ordinators gameplan just got a little less complicated for next year.

Not shocked things just didn't work out for him here...his x-treme parking lot motorcycle accident and freakish "hands team" specialty team injuries were/are part of Team Clown lore. He did leave with some class, and we need players. #50 pick will help.

Now DA , time to get us a a couple more players and good luck to you too.
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:08 am

He is good. Now, he will be good somewhere else. A 2nd and a 5th? Any chance either of those picks make the Pro Bowl?
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby jb » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:12 am

Fire Marshall Bill wrote:

90's Cowboys dynasty.

Bleah!......Let me tell ya sumthin......its not about the value of a quality TE to the Offense, its about trading in that 4 yr old Ford pick-up with low miles and a clean interior to some dumbass for him to find out a year or so later that it plowed snow and the frame was bent....F - O - R - D ....Found On Road Dead...and that 9er yir thinkin 'bout was Brent Jones

...but yeah, think Billy Joe Dupree

Like I wrote, I think.

If K2's body fails him and you don't see him going off like 2006, AND they do something with the 2nd round pick the Browns never seem to do , then KokMan is genius.

If this is another Brotney Pool and K 2 puts up 80 + yard catches in a WC TE friendly O , this is just more of the same stupidity.

I guess I have a sense of the probable given track records.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby waborat » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:14 am

Erie Warrior wrote:He is good. Now, he will be good somewhere else. A 2nd and a 5th? Any chance either of those picks even play?

Fixed it
waborat

Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Unread postby Spin » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:28 pm

If you count the team-induced special teams FUBAR and training room staph infection, and the Kellen Knievel off-field excursion as being "injury prone", then yeah I suppose he is.

And no he never lived up to his father's Hall Of Fame stature. He wasn't the perfect prototype tight end.

But these guys have denuded this team of one of it's few (only?) offensive weapons.

I hope they know what they're doing. :shaking:
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby swerb » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:00 am

Pass catching tight ends are overrated. Winslow is very talented, but is a liability on the field every time you do not throw to him … he can’t block. And injuries have robbed him of much of his physical ability. Winslow got flagged for seven push off offensive pass interference penalties last year, including a stretch where it happened five games in a row. The guy simply can’t get open like he used to be able to. And this is against linebackers, not corners or safeties. The flip side is that he has glue hands, is one of the team’s most naturally talented players, and his departure robs the team of their only real sure thing as a pass catcher, and a big time safety valve for Brady Quinn.

My guess? Winslow never makes another Pro Bowl and is retired by 30. And this was likely the Browns last chance to get anything of value for him.

I like the trade.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Previous

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL