Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Buccaneers interested in DA, talking with Browns at combine

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Buccaneers interested in DA, talking with Browns at combine

Unread postby Crash Davis » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:33 pm

Anderson Trade A Possibility For Bucs
Posted By Roy Cummings at Feb 19, 2009 at 12:12 PM
Updated Feb 19, 2009 at 12:13 PM

INDIANAPOLIS – A lot of the talk here at the combine is centering around the Bucs and their quarterback position.

Few believe the Bucs are ready to just hand the starter’s job to Luke McCown, so the question is, who they will bring in to challenge McCown for the starter’s job.

Free agents such as Byron Leftwich, J.P. Losman and Patrick Ramsey are all being thrown around as possibilities but one possibility that is gaining steam would have the Bucs trading with the Browns for Derek Anderson.

Anderson has one of the strongest arms in the league as well as just about every physical tool you need to be a difference maker at his position. What he doesn’t have is a great understanding of defenses or the game’s nuances.

With a little work and a bit of a push he could be developed into one of the game’s better quarterbacks and word is the Brown might take as little as a third-round pick for him.

When you consider that he’s younger than Luke McCown but has more experience than McCown it doesn’t sound like a bad option for the Bucs to consider, especially with Jeff Jagodzinski running the offense.

Jagodzinski figures to be a little more aggressive than Jon Gruden was and Anderson would probably fit what he does well. Also, with Jagodzinski and Greg Olson tutoring him, Olson would likely max out on his potential.

http://www.tboblogs.com/index.php/sport ... -for-bucs/
"PREDICTION: R.I.P. Chief Wahoo"
Crash Davis

Favorite Player: Lawrence Vickers
Least Favorite Player: SteelerDramaQueenQB

Re: Buccaneers interested in DA, talking with Browns at combine

Unread postby Toxicadam » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:36 pm

I hope they do it, but if I were the Bucs, I would just pick up Leftwich or Ramsey instead.
Toxicadam

Unread postby Hydra Melee » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:43 pm

Pleasedearlordthankyoujesus
"Paul Hubbard for the Practice Squad" publicity game: Contestants are run to Berea in the middle of the night and spray paint their name and address on a window at the Browns' office. First person arrested gets to make a public announcement outside the courthouse that Paul Hubbard must be given a spot on the Browns' practice squad for the 2009 season.
Hydra Melee

Favorite Player: David Veikune
Least Favorite Player: Random Steeler

Unread postby ramllov » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:18 pm

I heard the deal was for the Browns to pay the $5 million bonus and Tampa Bay would give their third round pick.

Now if they said they would give their second round pick, I would get excited about it.

Again, there are other teams that would come up with a second round pick for a QB who is physically gifted (golden arm) and only pay him $1.5 million for 2009 tryout.

Again, if DA excelled in 2009 for the team, say the Jets, they have another year contract and can work out an extension for a longer term. It would almost be a no lose situation.
I enjoy this stuff.
ramllov

Unread postby jordan kramer » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:50 pm

Toxicadam wrote:I hope they do it, but if I were the Bucs, I would just pick up Leftwich or Ramsey instead.

shhh! don't tell'em that
"i've been gettin G-ed up since i came out the hospital as a baby. i didn't wear pampers, i wore some slacks and some gators on the way home."
"in order for us to grow u gotta know, in order to love the brotherman, u gotta know the otherman. because one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish. knick knack paddy wack, give the dog a bone." - Delonte West

"i'm going to pull your endocrine system out of your body" - Gary Busey
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Who cares about this crap?

WE GOT A MUTHA FUCKIN EARTHQUAKE MACHINE!
jordan kramer

Favorite Player: brown eyed girls
Least Favorite Player: my girlfriend

Unread postby waborat » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:51 pm

trade him for the boat
waborat

Favorite Player: Megyn Kelly
Least Favorite Player: Single digit temps

Re: Lions and Buccaneers interested in DA, talking w/Browns

Unread postby Yinzer Hater » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:06 pm

Is Derek Anderson a QB possibility for the Lions?
by Tom Kowalski

INDIANAPOLIS -- If the Detroit Lions are interested in Matthew Stafford, it would make sense that they also would be interested in Cleveland quarterback Derek Anderson. They're basically the same guy, right? Both are young players who have rocket arms and still struggle with bouts of inconsistency.

The biggest difference is Anderson already has shown that he can play at the NFL level -- he went to the Pro Bowl in 2007 -- and will come much cheaper than Stafford.

The Browns, who already have Brady Quinn as their starting quarterback, are looking to trade Anderson, but they can't do it until after March 13, when Anderson is scheduled to earn a guaranteed $5 million bonus.

Because the money is guaranteed, the Browns can't cut Anderson to avoid it. It also means that the Browns can't trade Anderson before March 13 because no NFL team wants to be on the hook for it.

While Stafford would cost the Lions about $32 million in guaranteed money as the No. 1 draft choice -- and there's a question of whether he'd be ready to start in the opener -- the Lions would only have to pay Anderson a salary of $1.5 million for the 2009 season. And there's no question Anderson would be ready to play. His MCL knee sprain from last year (by the latest account) did not require surgery and Anderson has 27 career starts over the last three years. And Anderson is still quite young -- he'll turn 26 in June of this year.

One drawback to Anderson is that he gets a huge pay increase in 2010, going up to $7.5 million with a roster bonus of $2 million. But if Anderson proves to be the guy, a long-term contract could be worked out.

Anderson, who threw 29 touchdown passes and 19 interceptions in 2007, wasn't as effective last season with nine touchdowns and eight interceptions in nine starts in a year that went wrong in a lot of ways for the Browns. Anderson comes with some risks, but perhaps not as many as Stafford.

And trading for Anderson means the Lions still have the flexibility of using those top draft picks on other positions to help solidify the team.

It's something the Lions need to think about.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/20 ... bilit.html
Definition,Yinzer : A person who lives in a trailer off government money,drinks iron city beer,has limited intelligence,follows the Steelers, and refuses to accept the fact that their team is actually piss yellow and not gold.
Yinzer Hater

Favorite Player: Shin-Soo Choo
Least Favorite Player: Worthlessberger

Unread postby js2310 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:33 am

I'd rather take a 4th or 5th round pick and have some other team eat that 5 mil dollar cap hit. I want some room to work in free agency and next year. I know have a third round pick is nice but their chance of starting is around 30 percent I believe. If we could get a second we would have to take it but instead of a third I'd rather the team take him bonus. I know Tampa won't because they need cap room to sign Hanyesworth. Same with the Lions.
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

Paul Brown
js2310

Favorite Player: Brady Quinn
Least Favorite Player: Ben Roethlisberger

Unread postby Crash Davis » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:53 pm

js2310 wrote:I'd rather take a 4th or 5th round pick and have some other team eat that 5 mil dollar cap hit. I want some room to work in free agency and next year. I know have a third round pick is nice but their chance of starting is around 30 percent I believe. If we could get a second we would have to take it but instead of a third I'd rather the team take him bonus. I know Tampa won't because they need cap room to sign Hanyesworth. Same with the Lions.

They will take no less than a third regardless of the bonus otherwise DA is wearing Brown and Orange this September.
Crash Davis

Unread postby 4thQtrGlory » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:39 pm

Crash Davis wrote:
js2310 wrote:I'd rather take a 4th or 5th round pick and have some other team eat that 5 mil dollar cap hit. I want some room to work in free agency and next year. I know have a third round pick is nice but their chance of starting is around 30 percent I believe. If we could get a second we would have to take it but instead of a third I'd rather the team take him bonus. I know Tampa won't because they need cap room to sign Hanyesworth. Same with the Lions.

They will take no less than a third regardless of the bonus otherwise DA is wearing Brown and Orange this September.

I would have to disagree with you. The Browns are not going to pay a backup that much money to ride the pine. Also, Mangini and Kokinis want nothing to do with another QB controversy. Of course they arent naming Quinn the starter right now because they are trying to get the most value that they can with DA. If the best offer we received is a 4th rounder (which i think we will get a 2nd/3rd), you better believe the team will just be happy not to pay that $5 mil roster bonus.
4thQtrGlory

Favorite Player: Bernie
Least Favorite Player: NE Ohio Steeler Fan

Unread postby js2310 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:55 pm

4thQtrGlory wrote:
Crash Davis wrote:

I would have to disagree with you. The Browns are not going to pay a backup that much money to ride the pine. Also, Mangini and Kokinis want nothing to do with another QB controversy. Of course they arent naming Quinn the starter right now because they are trying to get the most value that they can with DA. If the best offer we received is a 4th rounder (which i think we will get a 2nd/3rd), you better believe the team will just be happy not to pay that $5 mil roster bonus.

Exactly. Having more cap space is better than having a third round pick. I personally think though he will be traded at the end of March for a 2nd. Detroit and Tampa will battle over him a bit I hope. I can't see Detroit taking a QB #1 and who knows if Stafford or Sanchez is left at 20.

Paul Brown
js2310

Unread postby Steve Buffum » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:07 pm

Maybe I'm jaded, but anyone who would offer a 2nd-round pick for Derek Freaking Anderson is Matt Millen. My gut reaction, after the full-throated belly laugh, is that some Cleveland fans are GROSSLY overestimating the value of our bad backup QB.

I could be wrong. I'm no NFL personnel guru. I didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn Express. But I have seen Derek Anderson play, and ... guys ... he's Derek Freaking Anderson.
Steve Buffum
Prose Flayer

Favorite Player: Withheld
Least Favorite Player: David Huff

Unread postby Ziner » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:14 pm

Steve Buffum wrote:Maybe I'm jaded, but anyone who would offer a 2nd-round pick for Derek Freaking Anderson is Matt Millen. My gut reaction, after the full-throated belly laugh, is that some Cleveland fans are GROSSLY overestimating the value of our bad backup QB.

I could be wrong. I'm no NFL personnel guru. I didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn Express. But I have seen Derek Anderson play, and ... guys ... he's Derek Freaking Anderson.

If we get a 4th rounder this will be me :nanner:
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby leadpipe » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:14 pm

Steve Buffum wrote:Maybe I'm jaded, but anyone who would offer a 2nd-round pick for Derek Freaking Anderson is Matt Millen. My gut reaction, after the full-throated belly laugh, is that some Cleveland fans are GROSSLY overestimating the value of our bad backup QB.

Exactly.

Just because a team has an interest and a need doesn't necessarily make them irrational and stupid.

The guy fetches a mid round pick.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby Crash Davis » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:17 pm

js2310 wrote:
4thQtrGlory wrote:
Crash Davis wrote:

Exactly. Having more cap space is better than having a third round pick. I personally think though he will be traded at the end of March for a 2nd. Detroit and Tampa will battle over him a bit I hope. I can't see Detroit taking a QB #1 and who knows if Stafford or Sanchez is left at 20.

FYI The $5 million dollar bonus has nothing to do with the cap space for this year, it gets payed either way. DA's cap number this year for the Browns is 8.8 mil so saying you'd rather have a fourth rounder and have the team pay the bonus doesn't affect our cap room.
Crash Davis

Unread postby jb » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:17 pm

With a little work and a bit of a push he could be developed into one of the game’s better quarterbacks

That's why, buff. That's why.

Our best weapon here is the perception league-wide of the Browns as inept.Someone will be convinced that it isn't DA, it was The Browns, and the track rcord suggests they might be right (see also, the SB coaching staffs ) .

I think we get a second rounder for him.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby Crash Davis » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:23 pm

JB wrote:

With a little work and a bit of a push he could be developed into one of the game’s better quarterbacks

Our best weapon here is the perception league-wide of the Browns as inept.Someone will be convinced that it isn't DA, it was The Browns, and the track rcord suggests they might be right (see also, the SB coaching staffs ) .

Thank you JB for throwing some reason behind this and saving me a lot of typing. Its what I've been saying all along, regardless of the bonus they'll get at least a 3rd rounder for him. They know they're going to have to pay the bonus b/c its due March 16th which will be before they are able to move him. No team is going to be that stupid to trade for him before the bonus is due regardless of what they are giving up for him.

For once they are actually being smart. The Browns have some leverage right now as they are still spinning DA and BQ as starters and are not tipping their hand either way even though we know as fans who follow the team closely this is now Quinn's team. Smart thing to do and it beats flipping a coin to see who to trade. Romeo Romeo where for are thou?
Crash Davis

Unread postby js2310 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:24 pm

Crash Davis wrote:
js2310 wrote:
4thQtrGlory wrote:
Crash Davis wrote:

FYI The $5 million dollar bonus has nothing to do with the cap space for this year, it gets payed either way. DA's cap number this year for the Browns is 8.8 mil so saying you'd rather have a fourth rounder and have the team pay the bonus doesn't affect our cap room.

His cap number is $8.8 because of the bonus. 3 million is his salary for this year and 5 million is for his bonus. That equals 8. If we trade him before the deadline it doesn't count towards our cap.

The Cleveland Plain Dealer disputes a report that Derek Anderson's $5M roster bonus is guaranteed if the Browns trade him before it's due in March.
The paper confirms that Cleveland will be on the hook if D.A. is cut before then, but another team will take on the guarantee if Anderson is dealt. This may make trading Anderson one of Eric Mangini's first priorities. If the Browns can't find a taker, Anderson and Brady Quinn will likely compete to start.

There you go buddy. If Derek Anderson isn't a Brown by the deadline we don't have to pay him. We do take a cap hit of course but it is worth it getting him off the team.

Paul Brown
js2310

Unread postby js2310 » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:26 pm

Crash Davis wrote:
JB wrote:

Thank you JB for throwing some reason behind this and saving me a lot of typing. Its what I've been saying all along, regardless of the bonus they'll get at least a 3rd rounder for him. They know they're going to have to pay the bonus b/c its due March 16th which will be before they are able to move him. No team is going to be that stupid to trade for him before the bonus is due regardless of what they are giving up for him.

For once they are actually being smart. The Browns have some leverage right now as they are still spinning DA and BQ as starters and are not tipping their hand either way even though we know as fans who follow the team closely this is now Quinn's team. Smart thing to do and it beats flipping a coin to see who to trade. Romeo Romeo where for are thou?

I do agree though that no team is that dumb and he will be traded after the deadline for at least a third round pick. I think it will move up to a second just because I see three teams going after him. 1.5 mil for a starting quarterback isn't bad.

Paul Brown
js2310

Unread postby Crash Davis » Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:34 pm

js2310 wrote:
Crash Davis wrote:
JB wrote:

I do agree though that no team is that dumb and he will be traded after the deadline for at least a third round pick. I think it will move up to a second just because I see three teams going after him. 1.5 mil for a starting quarterback isn't bad.

Now we're getting somewhere. He becomes a much more tradeable commodity at $1.5 million for the 2009 season on March 16th after the Browns are stuck paying the $5 mil which means the Browns have some leverage to ask for more. That's why they will ask and receive at least a third rounder or some combination of value for DA. Hell knows they need to make up for Opie's screw up in not dealing DA last offseason when he could have gotten much more.
Crash Davis

Unread postby BooyaCS » Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:58 am

Anderson's roster bonus is guaranteed money that was in the contract when he signed it. Therefore that counts against the cap regardless if he is on the team or not. Remember when he signed there was 12M guaranteed money. So that 12 M is spread out amongst the 3 years. 6M last season, 5M this season and 1M next season.

So with the cap hit of 5M plus his base salary (if we don't release or trade after June 1) we get to the number mentioned above at 8.8M. If we release or trade DA before the June 1st cutdown day then we are only on the books for 5M because that is the only part of his contract that is guaranteed to him.

Also if you want to start Quinn then he needs to be the starter from the outset otherwise you will inevitably have a QB controversy. Not to mention this is the same offense that Quinn ran in college and that NE runs as well. So the familiarity is there. At this rate I think we would be lucky to garner a 3rd round pick for DA. While he has the ability to throw for 400 yards and 3 tds he is also a TO machine. He has 35 Ints and 16 fumbles to his credit. That is 47 TOs in 3 years so he is averaging just under a TO a game.
BooyaCS

Unread postby Crash Davis » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:07 am

BooyaCS wrote:Anderson's roster bonus is guaranteed money that was in the contract when he signed it. Therefore that counts against the cap regardless if he is on the team or not. Remember when he signed there was 12M guaranteed money. So that 12 M is spread out amongst the 3 years. 6M last season, 5M this season and 1M next season.

So with the cap hit of 5M plus his base salary (if we don't release or trade after June 1) we get to the number mentioned above at 8.8M. If we release or trade DA before the June 1st cutdown day then we are only on the books for 5M because that is the only part of his contract that is guaranteed to him.

Also if you want to start Quinn then he needs to be the starter from the outset otherwise you will inevitably have a QB controversy. Not to mention this is the same offense that Quinn ran in college and that NE runs as well. So the familiarity is there. At this rate I think we would be lucky to garner a 3rd round pick for DA. While he has the ability to throw for 400 yards and 3 tds he is also a TO machine. He has 35 Ints and 16 fumbles to his credit. That is 47 TOs in 3 years so he is averaging just under a TO a game.

This is pretty much what I said above without breaking down the cap implications for DA on the Browns, thanks for doing that as it saved me some additional research. All I am saying is the Browns basically know they need to pay his bonus and if they do a minor reward for them might be that DA is a much more attractive option for teams looking for a QB because his 2009 salary to his new team will only be 1.5 mil, that's not much of risk in terms $$$ to take a chance on DA with and may make his trade value a little more than it would have been.
Crash Davis

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL