Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Sean Jones? Yay? Nay?

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Sean Jones? Yay? Nay?

Unread postby swerb » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:35 am

Think Grossi sums it up pretty well here:

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.s ... agent.html

6. Safety Sean Jones

Age: 26

NFL seasons: 5.

Comment: He, too, had a big opportunity taken away by a knee injury. He missed two preseason games and then four in regular season after arthroscopic surgery on his right knee. When he returned, he just didn't look like the same player. He caught the bad-tackling germ and seemed to play tentatively. His four interceptions were second on the team. Two years ago Jones was this close to becoming an elite safety. It still could happen, but there is an element of risk in giving him a big contract.


----

Me personally, I was disgusted with an interview I heard on the radio with Jones, right after the Browns 0-3 start ... where he, in a nutshell, came out and said he was going to get his knee cleaned out in season because he was a FA at year end and had to take care of his future.

This is a high risk/high reward decision for ManKok. Jones upside is as high as any safety out there available in FA, and he is just entering the prime 3-4 years of his career. And while him having the in season surgery last year drove us nuts, it means he is full tilt heading into camp.

But his play, tackling, attitude have been erratic. Complicating matters is the fact that the Browns would have a gaping hole at safety if they let him walk, with just the inconsistent Brodney Pool as someone you can really count on to contribute there.

The FA ranks outside of Jones at safety have some intriguing names. Veterans that had nice seasons last year like Jermaine Phillips (TB), Yeremiah Bell (Mia) and Eugene Wilson (NE). Guys that have had nice careers but could be at the end of the road like Darren Sharper (Min), Lawyer Milloy (Atl), Mike Brown (Chi), and Brian Dawkins (Phil). Also some younger kids that emerged a little last year ... but may not be worthy of multi-year deals and a starting role. Names like Oshiomogho Atogwe (Stl), James Sanders (NE), Jim Leohnard (Bal), and Gerald Sensanbaugh (Jax).

End of the day ... I try and bring back Mike Adams because of his special teams play, and pray you never need him to play safety. I let Jones walk.

I really feel CB and S will be one position the Browns will attack hard in FA. While this years FA class is far from stellar, CB and S are two of the strongest positions for this off-season.
"It's like dating a woman who hates you so much she will never break up with you, even if you burn down the house every single autumn." ~ Chuck Klosterman on Browns fans relationship with the Browns

http://www.twitter.com/theclevelandfan
User avatar
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch
 
Posts: 17918
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:04 pm
Location: Twinsburg, OH
Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Re: Sean Jones? Yay? Nay?

Unread postby pup » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:13 am

I guess it depends on what he requires. Why create a hole? If he demands to be paid like he played 2 years ago, I have some hesitations.

My head says there is no reason to go out and have to pay someone who may be as good as he is. Especially when you realize you might not even get one of the couple of guys who are as good as he is. Find out what he wants, and if it is reasonable, keep him around. More objectives in FA is not what we need right now.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
User avatar
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan
 
Posts: 12020
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:15 pm
Location: Eastlake, Ohio
Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Re: Sean Jones? Yay? Nay?

Unread postby peeker643 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:19 am

Look at the holes on the team.

I think you have to focus on the 'blows and swallows' crowd before you look to lose the guys who are mediocre.

And you won't have to look further than LB to find 'blows and swallows'.

Now, if Jones wants mediocre money, welcome back. If he wants more than that I'd remove his name plate like it was a HoF mural. ;-) ;) :wink:
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22659
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Sean Jones? Yay? Nay?

Unread postby noles1 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:23 am

Jones with me is a tough call. Personally I wouldn't be opposed to letting him go and bringing in someone else. I'd actually feel like you could go young here if you add the right piece. This draft has some real quality at the safety position.

That said, I can completely understand the rationale that why create a hole. Ultimately it will come down to the right price but I am leery of anyone that takes a "me-first" attitude.

Let's ask ourselves this... what would the Steelers do with Jones? What would they have done had he pulled that crap comment mid-season?
Playing here is the closest thing to heaven. Really, I mean it's amazing to be in a place where the fans truly cherish their football team and stick behind them win or lose. We players love them, too. I feel a sense of accomplishment playing here, we are a special breed of football players with a great opportunity." ~ tOSU LB Brian Rolle
User avatar
noles1
 
Posts: 2114
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:32 pm
Location: Clarion, PA
Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Mark May's Parents

Re: Sean Jones? Yay? Nay?

Unread postby mistero » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:35 am

I think he'll get some decent offers. I wouldn't want to be in a bidding war to keep him.
He can get a decent offer to stay , but I'd let him test the waters first.
Like many players, he thinks he's much better than he really is.
In Chud We Trust
User avatar
mistero
 
Posts: 951
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:19 pm
Location: North Ridgeville Ohio
Favorite Player: Miller High Life
Least Favorite Player: Natural Light

Re: Sean Jones? Yay? Nay?

Unread postby jb » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:17 am

Pup wrote:I guess it depends on what he requires. Why create a hole? If he demands to be paid like he played 2 years ago, I have some hesitations.

My head says there is no reason to go out and have to pay someone who may be as good as he is. Especially when you realize you might not even get one of the couple of guys who are as good as he is. Find out what he wants, and if it is reasonable, keep him around. More objectives in FA is not what we need right now.


^ + 1
jb
 
Posts: 17730
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Defend Youngstown
Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Sean Jones? Yay? Nay?

Unread postby jb » Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:18 am

noles1 wrote:Jones with me is a tough call. Personally I wouldn't be opposed to letting him go and bringing in someone else. I'd actually feel like you could go young here if you add the right piece. This draft has some real quality at the safety position.

That said, I can completely understand the rationale that why create a hole. Ultimately it will come down to the right price but I am leery of anyone that takes a "me-first" attitude.

Let's ask ourselves this... what would the Steelers do with Jones? What would they have done had he pulled that crap comment mid-season?


The media would have ignored him becasue he'd have been a nobody on the bench behind Troy P ? :bag:
jb
 
Posts: 17730
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Defend Youngstown
Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Sean Jones? Yay? Nay?

Unread postby Yinzer Hater » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:22 pm

Anyone think he'll be tagged before the 26th? Have the Browns ever franchised anyone???
Definition,Yinzer : A person who lives in a trailer off government money,drinks iron city beer,has limited intelligence,follows the Steelers, and refuses to accept the fact that their team is actually piss yellow and not gold.
User avatar
Yinzer Hater
 
Posts: 225
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:31 pm
Location: Westerville, OH
Favorite Player: Shin-Soo Choo
Least Favorite Player: Worthlessberger

Re: Sean Jones? Yay? Nay?

Unread postby Ziner » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:40 pm

Yinzer Hater wrote:Anyone think he'll be tagged before the 26th? Have the Browns ever franchised anyone???


I would doubt they franchise him even though the safety tag is only 6.432 mil. I would think you could get a comparable player with less money. If I were the Browns I would just let the market play out and ask for a chance to match or beat his best offer. I dont see him breaking the bank.

And no I am pretty sure we havent franchised a player. we suck.. :bag:
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
User avatar
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy
 
Posts: 7059
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:04 pm
Location: Boulder, Colorado
Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Re: Sean Jones? Yay? Nay?

Unread postby ramllov » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:55 pm

Sean Jones, it is always about the price.

He is a good strong safety.

If the price is right, keep him.

However, if his demands are unreasonable, he goes away.

There are a few elite strong safeties in the league.

The switch to a more aggressive defense under Mangini, might require a SS with more pass coverage skills.

Again, it is all a matter of price.

Can Mangini find a better strong safety in free agency or the draft for a lower cost?

This is an open question.

Does Sean Jones want to stay in Cleveland and see what the Mangini defense can do. He has been hear for 5 or 6 years.

There are many required starting positions on this team.

If Mangini can fill Sean Jones, Ryan Tucker, JJ for another year, these are three starters that they do not have to find in free agency or the draft.
I enjoy this stuff.
ramllov
 
Posts: 534
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:50 am
Location: Coral Springs, Florida

Re: Sean Jones? Yay? Nay?

Unread postby ProgRocker » Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:37 pm

I lean towards keeping him at a reasonable price. I'm not as down on the secondary as a lot of folks are and Jones is one of the reasons why -- the other being how shitty the LBs are. If the Browns can get two decent LBs and let the rest of the DB corps stay intact (keep in mind they're all fairly young, Jones included) I think the defense can step up a few more notches. But they can't create more holes if they can help it.

As for Jones' comments, they don't seem any worse than anything KW or Braylon said, and we know they're keeping at least one of those two guys if not both. His only mistake was saying it out loud - and knowing, of course, that he would never be punished by saying it thanks to the Sta-Puft Marshmallow Ex-Coach we had last year.
Somehow ... Someway ... Give us JUST ONE VICTORY ... and we're on our way!
User avatar
ProgRocker
 
Posts: 1301
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:18 pm
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: Sean Jones? Yay? Nay?

Unread postby DrPoove » Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:49 pm

Swerb wrote:Me personally, I was disgusted with an interview I heard on the radio with Jones, right after the Browns 0-3 start ... where he, in a nutshell, came out and said he was going to get his knee cleaned out in season because he was a FA at year end and had to take care of his future.

I used to love this guy but he lost me, as well, after that interview. That being said, I would have to concur with the majority who said if the price is right then why create yet another hole.

If only Taylor Mays had come out for the draft. Ba$tard.
"What is understood need not be discussed."
-Loren Adams
User avatar
DrPoove
Special Guest Referee
 
Posts: 2279
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:36 am
Location: Lakewood, OH
Favorite Player: Cleveland
Least Favorite Player: The Inbred

Re: Sean Jones? Yay? Nay?

Unread postby BadBecks » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:55 pm

With Mangini's background in coaching DB's, I have a feeling that he may not be too impressed with Jones. Also, from what I've read the Browns paid quite a bit of attention of the safties that were in attendance at the Senior Bowl.

From what I've seen, as a fan, the Browns could benifit from a turnover in several areas of the defense. Along with DE, CB, a couple LB spots...strong safety is one of them. This team is in desperate need of high character team players as much as a talent upgrade. Stick a fork in the guy.
"Don't Hassle Me...I'm a Local" - Bob Wiley (shirt)
User avatar
BadBecks
Kid Cleveland
 
Posts: 453
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:15 pm
Location: Chippewa Lake, Ohio
Favorite Player: Eric Turner
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Sean Jones? Yay? Nay?

Unread postby jb » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:18 am

BadBecks wrote:With Mangini's background in coaching DB's, I have a feeling that he may not be too impressed with Jones. Also, from what I've read the Browns paid quite a bit of attention of the safties that were in attendance at the Senior Bowl.

From what I've seen, as a fan, the Browns could benifit from a turnover in several areas of the defense. Along with DE, CB, a couple LB spots...strong safety is one of them. This team is in desperate need of high character team players as much as a talent upgrade. Stick a fork in the guy.



becks - I can not concur completely. IMhO, it is the FRONT 7, not the back 4, that is the problem.

And "high character" ?

Naaah. Frankly, we need more thugs,particularly on D . Football is a game of violence as much as a sport of ability and skill. No way to soft sell that fact. I'm glad kam Wimbley is a good guy. I'd rather have Harrison or Porter.

Latest example? Ryan Clark arrested for disorderly conduct. That's the samne guy who is the CF enforcer (ask Welker) so Troy P can freelance.

We need some for real ass pipe wielding cats by the dozen who will kill you to win a football game. Right now we have Dante Stallworth.

We have none except maybe Shaun. Our cats are more interetsed in trying to injure the franchise QB in the weight room.
jb
 
Posts: 17730
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:08 pm
Location: Defend Youngstown
Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Re: Sean Jones? Yay? Nay?

Unread postby jordan kramer » Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:23 pm

dude is a stiff. new coach, new GM, we need to pretty much clean house on defense...
"i've been gettin G-ed up since i came out the hospital as a baby. i didn't wear pampers, i wore some slacks and some gators on the way home."
"in order for us to grow u gotta know, in order to love the brotherman, u gotta know the otherman. because one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish. knick knack paddy wack, give the dog a bone." - Delonte West

"i'm going to pull your endocrine system out of your body" - Gary Busey
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Who cares about this crap?

WE GOT A MUTHA FUCKIN EARTHQUAKE MACHINE!
User avatar
jordan kramer
 
Posts: 1322
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:24 pm
Location: "the brooklyn of youngstown"
Favorite Player: brown eyed girls
Least Favorite Player: my girlfriend

Re: Sean Jones? Yay? Nay?

Unread postby Hydra Melee » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:23 pm

I hear a lot about "if the price is right".

The price won't be right. If/ when he hits open market, the price will be too much to match. I haven't checked the FA rankings recently, but a he's a probably one of the top two safeties that would be available. He's also 26, which greatly increases his desireability.

If this becomes about "a good price", than that's just riding the fence while supporting his departure.
"Paul Hubbard for the Practice Squad" publicity game: Contestants are run to Berea in the middle of the night and spray paint their name and address on a window at the Browns' office. First person arrested gets to make a public announcement outside the courthouse that Paul Hubbard must be given a spot on the Browns' practice squad for the 2009 season.
Hydra Melee
 
Posts: 464
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:58 am
Favorite Player: David Veikune
Least Favorite Player: Random Steeler

Re: Sean Jones? Yay? Nay?

Unread postby BadBecks » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:50 pm

JB wrote:
BadBecks wrote:With Mangini's background in coaching DB's, I have a feeling that he may not be too impressed with Jones. Also, from what I've read the Browns paid quite a bit of attention of the safties that were in attendance at the Senior Bowl.

From what I've seen, as a fan, the Browns could benifit from a turnover in several areas of the defense. Along with DE, CB, a couple LB spots...strong safety is one of them. This team is in desperate need of high character team players as much as a talent upgrade. Stick a fork in the guy.



becks - I can not concur completely. IMhO, it is the FRONT 7, not the back 4, that is the problem.

And "high character" ?

Naaah. Frankly, we need more thugs,particularly on D . Football is a game of violence as much as a sport of ability and skill. No way to soft sell that fact. I'm glad kam Wimbley is a good guy. I'd rather have Harrison or Porter.

Latest example? Ryan Clark arrested for disorderly conduct. That's the samne guy who is the CF enforcer (ask Welker) so Troy P can freelance.

We need some for real ass pipe wielding cats by the dozen who will kill you to win a football game. Right now we have Dante Stallworth.

We have none except maybe Shaun. Our cats are more interetsed in trying to injure the franchise QB in the weight room.


You can still be a "high character" player while playing like a thug on the field. I really meant it in a football sense. Not in a Jehovah's Witness door-to-door kind of way...at all. You use several Steelers players as examples of "thugs" that you want on the Browns. I agree. They are also high character types because they bust their ass, play the team game, and refuse to lose. No excuses. That is pretty much the type of football player I was talking about.

Examples of non "low character" guys would be me first players who don't fit the above bill like Donte Stallworth, Braylon Edwards...and yes, Sean Jones. The guy came off like a bitch because it was a contract year and once the season went South, so did his character and game. Kokinis knows this (it was his job to in B'more), that's why he hasn't even given Jones' agent a single phone call to date.
"Don't Hassle Me...I'm a Local" - Bob Wiley (shirt)
User avatar
BadBecks
Kid Cleveland
 
Posts: 453
Joined: Fri Feb 16, 2007 5:15 pm
Location: Chippewa Lake, Ohio
Favorite Player: Eric Turner
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward


Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 181 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:50 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest