Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Troy Smith to the Browns

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Troy Smith to the Browns

Unread postby jjgmyers » Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:24 am

Better happen. Wherever they pick they better draft Troy Smith. This guy is exactly what this city needs to bring this football team back. Even if they end up with the #1, draft Smith.

I listened to a Mel Kiper interview the other day where he had Troy at 20 but said he is the #1 player that will vault up the draft board with excellent interviews and workouts.

Who could you think of any better then Troy Smith to bring the Browns back? Being from Cleveland and going to OSU. You couldn't script it any better
jjgmyers
I Heart Fat Chicks

Unread postby wmurphyhh » Mon Dec 11, 2006 3:08 pm

I understand the whole Cleveland hometown boy angle, but I hope someone else takes him for his sake. Until this team addresses the OL, every QB is going to get killed back there. I hate to see it, but I think he ends up in Baltimore.
wmurphyhh
"Murph"

Favorite Player: Joe Haden
Least Favorite Player: Chris Johnson

Unread postby swerb » Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:26 pm

I'll tell you what, I'm torn on this right now.

Heard Troy talking on the radio on the way home from work today about what a dream it would be to come home to Cleveland to play for the Browns. About how his mom tells him every day "You have to save the Browns". About how much it would mean to him.

Is he Bernie, or is he Charlie Frye?

If the Browns win one of their last three and end up 5-11, they will pick somewhere in the 5-7 range. Joe Thomas will be gone. Jake Long is headed back to scUM for his senior season.

Do you take this kid?

Not taking him terrifies me. With the Browns luck, I can see it now. The Browns pass on this kid and he haunts this franchise for 10-12 years.

Im not ready to take a position on this yet. There are very valid arguments for and against taking him.

If nothing else, it will make for interesting debate between now and April.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby swerb » Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:41 pm

http://www.gbnreport.com/2007projection.html

GBN Reports latest ... Brady Quinn #1, JaMarcus Russell #2, no Troy Smith in the 1st rd. Browns take Penn St LT Levi Brown #8.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby Guest » Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:28 pm

Not taking him terrifies me. With the Browns luck, I can see it now. The Browns pass on this kid and he haunts this franchise for 10-12 years.

Im not ready to take a position on this yet. There are very valid arguments for and against taking him.

Bingo.

I'm 100% in the same boat.

I need many, many more beers to make up my mind on this one.

Unread postby wmurphyhh » Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:15 am

GBN Reports latest ... Brady Quinn #1, JaMarcus Russell #2, no Troy Smith in the 1st rd. Browns take Penn St LT Levi Brown #8.

That's the perfect situation to me. Get Levi, move Shaffer to RT. Sign Steinbach. Draft Troy Smith in the 2nd round. Everyone is happy.

Home town biasis, but I don't see Troy lasting to the 2nd round. I see him as the heir apparent in Crackmore. Wait a shame.
wmurphyhh
"Murph"

Unread postby cweiz32 » Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:21 am

If we took an Offensive Lineman with our 1st rounder, which would be nice, and Troy Smith is still on the board late in the first round with Baltimore a few picks away, we should move up ahead of them to take him. What the hell.
cweiz32

Favorite Player: LeBron
Least Favorite Player: Whines Hard

Unread postby wmurphyhh » Sat Dec 16, 2006 9:24 am

Troy Smith is still on the board late in the first round with Baltimore a few picks away, we should move up ahead of them to take him.

What would we give up to move up ?
wmurphyhh
"Murph"

Unread postby cweiz32 » Sat Dec 16, 2006 11:22 am

wmurphyhh wrote:
Troy Smith is still on the board late in the first round with Baltimore a few picks away, we should move up ahead of them to take him.

What would we give up to move up ?

Good question. I can understand feeling apprehensive over giving up draft picks, but if we could give up a couple 2s and something else to get it done, I would do it.
cweiz32

Favorite Player: LeBron
Least Favorite Player: Whines Hard

Unread postby consigliere » Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:39 pm

Ok, quick question: Are the Browns going to be able to address the o-line issues in one offseason? No. It will take a few years.

So, then why would it be such a bad thing to take Smith with the #1 pick? We've seen how FAs bust.....there are no assurances that what we sign will help. Which, is why would should concentrate on the draft this year and the next few years.

But, to just say we have to use all our top picks on help for the line on both sides of the ball is limiting ourselves, and could lead to the Gerard Warren instead of Ladanian Tomlinson thinking in 2001.

Look, how often do things align for the Browns to get a hometown guy like Smith....a potential difference maker for this team? Is the line suspect? Yes. But, I don't see why you can't draft Smith #1 AND STILL upgrade the line. If they did do such a thing in drafting Smith, they would have to make it a huge priority going forward.

I like DA and Frye, but as backups. To me, Smith would be the icon and leader this team needs.....and something to help get the fans fired up again.....almost like when we drafted Bernie.

THis org needs a shot in the arm, and to me, it is Troy. I'm willing to take the risk on him.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby pup » Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:00 pm

If Joe Thomas is available with our pick, I cannot imagine they pass on him. He is regarded as one of those LT that you build your line with. The only way to get a stud LT is through the draft and you cannot pass on a chance to get one. Combine him with the hopeful signing of Eric Steinbech, move Schaffer over to RT you have beginning of a good offensive line.

I think Oakland, Detroit and possibly Houston will be in the market for a QB, which this draft is very short on and Smith could be gone to any of those three. I think this is really the best case scenerio for us. It gives us the chance to fix the OL wihtout passing on Troy, with the possibility that he ends up in Crackmore.

Here is what I hope transpires before the start of 2007:

1. Fire Romeo
2. Sign Eric Steinbach and Leonard Davis to man the guard positions
3. Draft Joe Thomas
4. Sign Michael Turner
5. Use the rest of the draft on DL, CB and LB.
6. Bring in a veteran to compete with Frye/Anderson. Make sure the veteran is right for the system that will be put in place by the new regime.
7. Hope Jim Mora/Jon Gruden get axed from their jobs. Hope to lure Vermiel out of retirement. Hope the Steelers pick Wisenhut as their new HC and make a run at Grimm.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby jd jr » Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:33 pm

what about peterson from oklahoma
jd jr

Unread postby pup » Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:45 pm

I like AP, and even started a post begging for him to be the pick before changing to Troy Smith, but both of those are heart picks. My mind is telling me that if we do not fix the OL, we could run Montana, LT and Jerry Rice out there and struggle.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby The Score » Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:36 pm

Here is what I hope transpires before the start of 2007:

1. Fire Romeo
2. Sign Eric Steinbach and Leonard Davis to man the guard positions
3. Draft Joe Thomas
4. Sign Michael Turner
5. Use the rest of the draft on DL, CB and LB.
6. Bring in a veteran to compete with Frye/Anderson. Make sure the veteran is right for the system that will be put in place by the new regime.
7. Hope Jim Mora/Jon Gruden get axed from their jobs. Hope to lure Vermiel out of retirement. Hope the Steelers pick Wisenhut as their new HC and make a run at Grimm.

1. Big mistake. Do you really think the Browns have the chance to sign anyone even remotely worthy of a HC position if they dump Romeo after only 2 seasons?
2. Fair enough.
3. Okay.
4. He will be tendered with at least the mid-level, which is a first round pick. He's not worth a first, and he's not worth trading for. If he can be had for a 5th round pick then fine.
5. DL? yes. CB? possibly. LB? Not a need. Ignoring the OL in the draft, yet again, would be a monumental mistake. A lot of this season being destroyed happened when Bentley got injured and the top backup was too big of a sissy to play. This season is what happens when there is a lack of depth on the OL. I would pick a C in the 3rd round at the very least.
6.A vet needs to be brought in to compete with Anderson. Frye can sit the bench as the #3 for all I care. Any vet worth anything will take up a big chunk of the cap.
7. If they fire Romeo, the only way they will get anyone to take the job is if they seriously overpay, and then the only reason someone takes the extra $$ is because they are greedy and only want the cash. They won't make a good hire that way.
The Score

Unread postby pup » Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:45 am

1. Big mistake. Do you really think the Browns have the chance to sign anyone even remotely worthy of a HC position if they dump Romeo after only 2 seasons?

Yes, I think they can get a quality head coach to come in here. It is not like they are firing Crennel for shits and giggles. He would be fired for being a bad head coach. So we keep him so we can fire him next year, but look better to the candidates then?

He will be tendered with at least the mid-level, which is a first round pick. He's not worth a first, and he's not worth trading for. If he can be had for a 5th round pick then fine.

If it costs us a first, obviously we cannot do that. If they tender him, doesn't that mean that have to pay him as a top 10 back or something like that? I can't imagine they would take that chance.

5. DL? yes. CB? possibly. LB? Not a need. Ignoring the OL in the draft, yet again, would be a monumental mistake. A lot of this season being destroyed happened when Bentley got injured and the top backup was too big of a sissy to play. This season is what happens when there is a lack of depth on the OL. I would pick a C in the 3rd round at the very least.

I think the linemen that will be here are decent enough to be "depth quality", but would have no problem taking more OL throughout the draft. CB is a crapshoot, I agree. If someone you love falls, go ahead and take him. If not, pass. I think LB is a big need for this team. Davis is a stiff. 180 tackles, 169 of them 5 yards down field. Jackson should be the "tackle guy", but we need another attacking LB in the middle to go with him. If we are going to remain a 3-4 team, then the DL is not going to do all that much in the run game, so you need some aggressive, attacking linebackers or you will continue to get run all over.

7. If they fire Romeo, the only way they will get anyone to take the job is if they seriously overpay, and then the only reason someone takes the extra $$ is because they are greedy and only want the cash. They won't make a good hire that way.

Actually, there is very likely to only be a couple of job openings after the season. Pitt, who will hire Wisenhut or Grimm. Arizona (Marriucci, Carroll). That is about it. So if you want to be a head coach, you will have to talk to the Browns.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Unread postby The Score » Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:13 pm

Yes, I think they can get a quality head coach to come in here. It is not like they are firing Crennel for shits and giggles. He would be fired for being a bad head coach. So we keep him so we can fire him next year, but look better to the candidates then?

First, this team was devoid of offensive and 3-4 talent when Savage/Crennel took over 2 years ago. Expecting miracles is a little ridiculous and will scare away quality candidates. Second, the season was derailed when the Browns lost their Pro Bowl C and top backup Olineman before the season even started. Expecting miracles after that is also ridiculous. Anyone looking at this job will wonder how Crennel was supposed to win under those conditions and will be scared away by the crazy, over-the-top expectations.

If it costs us a first, obviously we cannot do that. If they tender him, doesn't that mean that have to pay him as a top 10 back or something like that? I can't imagine they would take that chance.

RFA's are different than UFA's/franchised players. The bottom level tender is about 750k, the mid level is about 1.5 million, and the high level tender is about 2 million. Signing a low level tender guy costs the draft pick that the guy originally was, the mid level is a 1st round pick, and the top level is a first and a third.

I think the linemen that will be here are decent enough to be "depth quality", but would have no problem taking more OL throughout the draft. CB is a crapshoot, I agree. If someone you love falls, go ahead and take him. If not, pass. I think LB is a big need for this team. Davis is a stiff. 180 tackles, 169 of them 5 yards down field. Jackson should be the "tackle guy", but we need another attacking LB in the middle to go with him. If we are going to remain a 3-4 team, then the DL is not going to do all that much in the run game, so you need some aggressive, attacking linebackers or you will continue to get run all over.

I don't think the linemen that are here are providing depth quality as it is. Maybe Sowells will be allowed to play next year, who knows? I think they need to start drafting young guys and developing them (like Pitt does) so that when people like Andruzzi fall off of the talent cliff then they have someone to step in.

Re: the LB position. I think Wimbley and DQ will be good for 5-10 years as starters and I think Davis is adequate. If you put a real DL in front of them that can occupy the OL like the DL is supposed to do then you take a lot of pressure of the LBs and you allow them to move in space. Williams provides depth at OLB and ILB and will probably start in Davis's place in 2008. The only problem is the other OLB spot since Willie McGinest retired in 2005. The DL is a much bigger issue as to why teams run all over the Browns.

Actually, there is very likely to only be a couple of job openings after the season. Pitt, who will hire Wisenhut or Grimm. Arizona (Marriucci, Carroll). That is about it. So if you want to be a head coach, you will have to talk to the Browns.

I don't think Parcells and Gibbs are givens to come back. I could also see Shell, Gruden, Del Rio, Coughlin, and even John Fox being fired. (maybe not all, but some of those guys won't be back) Plus, there are always a couple of surprises. (like Marinelli, if Millen is fired). Anyway, it will only take one team to bid against the Browns with a better situation. The only teams the Browns look better than right now are Oakland and Detroit. If Millen is fired and they hire somebody good as GM then the Browns only beat out oakland.
The Score

Unread postby pup » Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:10 am

RFA's are different than UFA's/franchised players. The bottom level tender is about 750k, the mid level is about 1.5 million, and the high level tender is about 2 million. Signing a low level tender guy costs the draft pick that the guy originally was, the mid level is a 1st round pick, and the top level is a first and a third.

Thanks. This might move AP up on my wish list then.

First, this team was devoid of offensive and 3-4 talent when Savage/Crennel took over 2 years ago. Expecting miracles is a little ridiculous and will scare away quality candidates. Second, the season was derailed when the Browns lost their Pro Bowl C and top backup Olineman before the season even started. Expecting miracles after that is also ridiculous. Anyone looking at this job will wonder how Crennel was supposed to win under those conditions and will be scared away by the crazy, over-the-top expectations.

It is not the results that have me worried about Romeo. It is the lack of effort I see most weeks. I do not expect miracles from them, just improvement. If we were playing better football in week 15 than we played in week 1, it would be a different story. There are still only 32 NFL HC positions. I find it very hard to believe that someone would turn down one of them because the previous coach was fired after a regressive season.

don't think the linemen that are here are providing depth quality as it is. Maybe Sowells will be allowed to play next year, who knows? I think they need to start drafting young guys and developing them (like Pitt does) so that when people like Andruzzi fall off of the talent cliff then they have someone to step in.

If Thomas is drafted and Shaffer is moved to RT, then we have Ryan Tucker (as long as he recovers) as a third tackle, which he can be. By signing Steinbach and Davis, that allows Colemen to be the third guard, which is ok. At center, if there is one available in the third or fourth(Datish?), then feel free. You are not going to be able to do much better than that in one off season.

I think Wimbley and DQ will be good for 5-10 years as starters

Agreed.

I think Davis is adequate

Disagree. We heard the same thing about him as a 4-3 MLB about defensive line not getting done, then our DL went to Denver and did just fine holding off blockers for Al Wilson. Can Davis be the 3rd ILB? Sure. If you can draft another OLB to replace McGinest, then I think it has to be an option and you hope Leon Willams can man the inside.

don't think Parcells and Gibbs are givens to come back. I could also see Shell, Gruden, Del Rio, Coughlin, and even John Fox being fired. (maybe not all, but some of those guys won't be back) Plus, there are always a couple of surprises. (like Marinelli, if Millen is fired). Anyway, it will only take one team to bid against the Browns with a better situation. The only teams the Browns look better than right now are Oakland and Detroit. If Millen is fired and they hire somebody good as GM then the Browns only beat out oakland.

Gibbs will be back. The only way Parcells retires is if they win the SB. Now there is talk that Cowher is coming back. Shell has at least another year. If Gruden, Del Rio, Coughlin or Fox get fired, then all that does is put more talent out there for a new HC. I would take any of them over Romeo.

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL