Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Rey-Rey's SR Bowl scouting report

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Re: Rey-Rey's SR Bowl scouting report

Unread postby Triple-S » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:39 pm

BadBecks wrote:Tom Cousineau went to St. Ed's as well. Someone told me he was gay.

I keep hearing that as well. Is that true?
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby BadBecks » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:44 pm

noles1 wrote:
BadBecks wrote:Tom Cousineau went to St. Ed's as well. Someone told me he was gay.

My buddy told me a hilarious story about him and Leon Bibb... If it wasn't true it was damn funny at least.

Haha, I really have no idea if he is. I just remember growing up in the 'Wood and hearing that rumor. I just assumed it was because he went to a Lakewood school. It was up there, or so I assumed, with the Jon Bon Jovi has AIDS or the New Kids on the Block getting their stomachs pumped "rumors." Anyone who grew up in the 80's has to have heard at least 2 of those.
"Don't Hassle Me...I'm a Local" - Bob Wiley (shirt)
BadBecks
Kid Cleveland

Favorite Player: Eric Turner
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby Lubber » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:00 pm

Ziner wrote:Alright BW, you are arguing that we shouldnt take a LB in the top 5. I say why the hell not. Lets look at the past 6 drafts and see who the first LB was taken and how they have done. While only one is in the top 5, my point is I dont give a shit because I want a football player. I dont consider it a reach if the player turns out well. Now first LB off the board since 2003

2003 - Terrell Suggs - 3-4 Team #9 pick
2004 - Vilma - I believe they were 4-3 at the time - 12
2005 - Ware 3-4, 11 and Merriman 3-4 12
2006 - Hawk 4-3 switching to a 3-4, 5 and Sims 4-3 at 9
2007 - Willis 3-4 at 11
2008 Gholston 3-4 6, Rivers 4-3 9, Mayo 3-4 10

So there have been 9 LB's taken in the top 12 in 6 drafts. ONE has been a bust, all the other if not pro-bowlers are very solid players. 6 of those 9 were drafted by 3-4 teams so there goes your theory about not having to draft them high.

Listen, we need a good football player who can impact our defense from day one. That guy is Curry or Maulauga, not Crabtree or Jenkins. I dont see the Pats or Steelers caring if they reach for a player, why because that guy more times out of not turns out to be a stud. Forget Kiper, forget McAss, forget what LB's should be paid, forget your ridiculous theory that 3-4 defenses were designed to be cheap. Draft a freaking LB

Pats and Steelers rarely reach. they generally take the best player available. They would take Crabtree at #5, or trade down at take Rey-Rey at 12-15.
Lubber

Favorite Player: London Fletcher
Least Favorite Player: LeBron James

Unread postby Ziner » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:05 pm

lubber wrote:
Ziner wrote:Alright BW, you are arguing that we shouldnt take a LB in the top 5. I say why the hell not. Lets look at the past 6 drafts and see who the first LB was taken and how they have done. While only one is in the top 5, my point is I dont give a shit because I want a football player. I dont consider it a reach if the player turns out well. Now first LB off the board since 2003

2007 - Willis 3-4 at 11

So there have been 9 LB's taken in the top 12 in 6 drafts. ONE has been a bust, all the other if not pro-bowlers are very solid players. 6 of those 9 were drafted by 3-4 teams so there goes your theory about not having to draft them high.

Listen, we need a good football player who can impact our defense from day one. That guy is Curry or Maulauga, not Crabtree or Jenkins. I dont see the Pats or Steelers caring if they reach for a player, why because that guy more times out of not turns out to be a stud. Forget Kiper, forget McAss, forget what LB's should be paid, forget your ridiculous theory that 3-4 defenses were designed to be cheap. Draft a freaking LB

Pats and Steelers rarely reach. they generally take the best player available. They would take Crabtree at #5, or trade down at take Rey-Rey at 12-15.

Alot of people considered Santonio a reach, same with Mayo. I guess I didnt mean to say they reach, you are correct they take the best player available... that fits their system, that is key.

You know how Phil talked about how their draft board had 150 players on it, basically saying they have focused in on the ones they want. I'm willing to bet that in the later rounds, our boards looked very different. They know what they are looking for. We need to learn quickly what we are looking for.
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby Yinzer Hater » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:39 pm

Ziner wrote:
lubber wrote:

2007 - Willis 3-4 at 11

Alot of people considered Santonio a reach, same with Mayo. I guess I didnt mean to say they reach, you are correct they take the best player available... that fits their system, that is key.

You know how Phil talked about how their draft board had 150 players on it, basically saying they have focused in on the ones they want. I'm willing to bet that in the later rounds, our boards looked very different. They know what they are looking for. We need to learn quickly what we are looking for.

Too bad Opie didn't just take the best player available in the '06 draft instead of Wimbles when there was names like Santonio, DeAngelo, Addai and Kiwanuka on the board. He might still be here if he had.
Definition,Yinzer : A person who lives in a trailer off government money,drinks iron city beer,has limited intelligence,follows the Steelers, and refuses to accept the fact that their team is actually piss yellow and not gold.
Yinzer Hater

Favorite Player: Shin-Soo Choo
Least Favorite Player: Worthlessberger

Unread postby bw » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:14 pm

2007 - Willis 3-4 at 11

I like Willis. A damned fine football player as far as I can tell. And # 11, I would have taken him too. Terrell Suggs is a Defensive End. Nothing you say can change my mind on that. Sure, Ballmer franchised him as LB. Because the tag on a LBer is cheaper than it is on a DE. Vilma ain't so great, IMO. Ware and Merriman are good football players. Gholston isn't a bust just yet (but close). Mayo? Not sold, great talent around him. Rivers? By the Bungles? They lost that excellent LBer a couple years ago and it's been hurting them ever since. Besides, the Pats definitely have their DL set and the Bungles? Well, they're the Bungles. AJ Hawk? Can he cover a chair?

But you're talking players taken at an average #10 overall. That ain't #5 overall.

And an OBTW. I heard the SAME.EXACT.SHIT. When we took Cam Ranh Wimbley. Exactly.The.Same. I heard it when we took the Mad Dog In A Meat Market.

But this is turning into a pissing match and I don't want that. I just believe that LBers feed off the DL. You don't. I just don't believe a LBer, any LBer, can survive unless he has a good DL in front of him. And I also don't believe in taking a LBer, any LBer, at #5 overall. The value just isn't there. It's not as bad as taking a kicker in the first round but....... It's close.

You want a LBer? Great, so do I. Our LBers are just short of suck, but closing in fast. I say, trade down and snag one later on. You know what I hear almost every year come draft time?? In a deep, knowledgeable voice, "This year is very rich in Linebacker talent."

Every year.

Can you say, with certitude, that Curry will be better than Laurinitis? Herzlich? Stintim? Then there's the dozen or so College DE's that just can't play that position in the NFL. We're talking guys who played DE in College at 6'2" and between 240 and 255lbs that just aren't going to play DE in the NFL. It just ain't gonna happen.

I want two LBers, not one. We can trade down and get 'em if we want. But I don't want two rookies starting at LBer. We could trade down, get the LBer we want (and I'm not talking a slouch here, I'm talking a guy with huge upside) and pick up a Guard in the early 2nd, late 1st with the pick we acquire in the trade. Or a very good DT to play on our 3-4 DE.

I am not hatin' on LBers. I just don't want to spend a #5 overall on one.
bw

Unread postby bw » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:19 pm

Yinzer Hater wrote:
Ziner wrote:
lubber wrote:

2007 - Willis 3-4 at 11

Too bad Opie didn't just take the best player available in the '06 draft instead of Wimbles when there was names like Santonio, DeAngelo, Addai and Kiwanuka on the board. He might still be here if he had.

I'm not convinced Wimbley is a lost cause. Put a good DL in front of him and he could light things up. Without a good DL, any LBer is going to look like shit.

That's not to excuse our LBing Corps, however. As a unit -- They do suck. We need two. One in the draft, one in FA.
bw

Unread postby Ziner » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:24 pm

bw wrote: I just believe that LBers feed off the DL. You don't. I just don't believe a LBer, any LBer, can survive unless he has a good DL in front of him. And I also don't believe in taking a LBer, any LBer, at #5 overall. The value just isn't there.

Wrong I do believe LB's feed of DL, of course they do. But you need competent LB's to do such. The point you are missing is something I asked you along time ago. What do you want to do about the DL? We have Rogers and Williams locked up and they arent going anywhere. Which means you need to upgrade Robaire or Shaun Smith in the draft at 5. How the hell do you propose to do that when no one is even logical? Free Agency? We dont have the money.

So what you are telling me is you dont want to do dick with our 5th pick. What do you want to do with it?

Why does everyone get so caught up in value? Seriously, if trading down was as easy as everyone makes it out to be every team would do that. We aren't trading down. We are picking at 5, that is reality. Make a pick. Who ya taking? Not Curry, Rey, Orakpo, Stafford, Sanchez, Oher, Andre Smith, or Jason Smith so in your world we are picking between Crabtree and Jenkins. Sweet, that will help our team immensely.

We need to improve our front 7. We have 4 picks, how do you plan on doing such with not much cap space to work with?
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:09 pm

A head snapping, gap filling, snot bubble causing, downhill runaway train MLB with off the field attitude problems. Show me where to sign. I don't give a shit if he is undisciplined, I want someone playing like their hair is on fire, looking to KO every MFer standing around the pile. This is the prick who will seek and destroy the QB on an INT return. This is the guy who splits a guy in two as he crosses the middle on a tipped pass. This is what I want to cheer for on Sundays. If you can't win, kill every MFer on the field.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer

Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Unread postby Fire Marshall Bill » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:35 pm

To think that the Steelers D is as good as it is because of any one area of defense is just silly

They are stacked across the board. The LBs would not be as good as they are without the secondary or the DL, all of which are stellar

Then you have their deal with the Devil which is another discussion in itself
Hope is a moment now long past
The Shadow of Death is the one I cast
Koo koo ka joob....I am the Walrus
Fire Marshall Bill

Favorite Player: Killer Bean
Least Favorite Player: Charcoal&Piss

Unread postby rebelwithoutaclue » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:01 pm

But this is turning into a pissing match and I don't want that. I just believe that LBers feed off the DL. You don't. I just don't believe a LBer, any LBer, can survive unless he has a good DL in front of him. And I also don't believe in taking a LBer, any LBer, at #5 overall. The value just isn't there. It's not as bad as taking a kicker in the first round but....... It's close.

Our D-Line was VASTLY superior to any other unit on our defense... and yet our linebackers were still the worst in the league. But Shaun Rogers was so good that should have made Andra Davis good, right? With a good D-Line any bum off the street can be a good LB, right? According to you at least. Just doesn't work that way. The 3-4 is fed by linebackers. 2 years ago our defense sucked and what'd we do? Spend a ton of money on the D-line. What's that get us? Nothing because our defense still sucks because we don't have any LB's to tackle anyone.
Fuck the Browns...
rebelwithoutaclue

Favorite Player: Kyrie Irving
Least Favorite Player: Mike Lombardi

Unread postby Orenthal » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:15 pm

bw wrote:Jared Mayo was a 1st round pick but the jury is still SERIOUSLY out on him. He's been something of a disappointment do far.

He did win NFL Defensive Rookie of the year...
"When a man with money meets a man with experience, the man with experience leaves with money and the man with money leaves with experience."
Orenthal

Favorite Player: Dan Gilbert
Least Favorite Player: Blacks, Gays, Poor

Unread postby Cerebral_DownTime » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:19 pm

Erie Warrior wrote:A head snapping, gap filling, snot bubble causing, downhill runaway train MLB with off the field attitude problems. Show me where to sign. I don't give a shit if he is undisciplined, I want someone playing like their hair is on fire, looking to KO every MFer standing around the pile. This is the prick who will seek and destroy the QB on an INT return. This is the guy who splits a guy in two as he crosses the middle on a tipped pass. This is what I want to cheer for on Sundays. If you can't win, kill every MFer on the field.

DAMN RIGHT! We need hitters and i'm not talking about players and their wives.
"Our name is Legion, for we are many."
Cerebral_DownTime
Go f#%k yourself

Favorite Player: Fenrir
Least Favorite Player: Walt Flannigan's dog

Unread postby Ziner » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:58 pm

Erie Warrior wrote:A head snapping, gap filling, snot bubble causing, downhill runaway train MLB with off the field attitude problems. Show me where to sign. I don't give a shit if he is undisciplined, I want someone playing like their hair is on fire, looking to KO every MFer standing around the pile. This is the prick who will seek and destroy the QB on an INT return. This is the guy who splits a guy in two as he crosses the middle on a tipped pass. This is what I want to cheer for on Sundays. If you can't win, kill every MFer on the field.

Thank you, at least there are some sane people who agree with me.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby jb » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:23 am

Erie Warrior wrote: I want someone playing like their hair is on fire.

This individual is a little old, but he played with his hair on fire.

Ralph Perk would be good, too, but he's dead.

jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h

Unread postby bw » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:20 pm

Why does everyone get so caught up in value? Seriously, if trading down was as easy as everyone makes it out to be every team would do that. We aren't trading down. We are picking at 5, that is reality. Make a pick

You DO realize we only have four (4) picks this year, right? We're missing our 3rd, 5th and 7th rounders.

Maybe I should have made that a little clearer early on.

Speaking of trading down, the Pats traded DOWN to get Jared Mayo. Last year. And Defensive ROY's are LBers about 80% of the time. It's one of those after-thoughts after the Sports Writers are through with the Rook O-POY, they're mostly pretty drunk and just throw names around until somebody recognizes one. :partyers:
bw

Unread postby pup » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:31 pm

bw wrote:
Why does everyone get so caught up in value? Seriously, if trading down was as easy as everyone makes it out to be every team would do that. We aren't trading down. We are picking at 5, that is reality. Make a pick

You DO realize we only have four (4) picks this year, right? We're missing our 3rd, 5th and 7th rounders.

Speaking of trading down, the Pats traded DOWN to get Jared Mayo. Last year. And Defensive ROY's are LBers about 80% of the time. It's one of those after-thoughts after the Sports Writers are through with the Rook O-POY, they're mostly pretty drunk and just throw names around until somebody recognizes one. :partyers:

Brother BW. Think you are missing what others are laying down. Most would LOVE to trade down. Most woulf have LOVED to trade down about 8 times in the last 10 years. It just doesn't happen all that often, and when it does that team is quite fortunate. There are many factors involved. Partner. That covets a certain player. One of the next couple of slots after yours is a spot that guy could go.

If 1-4 go..Stafford, Smith, Sanchez, Crabtree, who is there at 5 teams are flying up to get? And does a team that wants that guy have the necessary assets in a trade to get it done?
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby Crash Davis » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:00 pm

Pup wrote:
bw wrote:

Brother BW. Think you are missing what others are laying down. Most would LOVE to trade down. Most woulf have LOVED to trade down about 8 times in the last 10 years. It just doesn't happen all that often, and when it does that team is quite fortunate. There are many factors involved. Partner. That covets a certain player. One of the next couple of slots after yours is a spot that guy could go.

If 1-4 go..Stafford, Smith, Sanchez, Crabtree, who is there at 5 teams are flying up to get? And does a team that wants that guy have the necessary assets in a trade to get it done?

This is the type of scenario I envision and also why I hope some how, some way Crabtree falls to us at #5 so we can trade that pick to the highest bidder.
"PREDICTION: R.I.P. Chief Wahoo"
Crash Davis

Favorite Player: Lawrence Vickers
Least Favorite Player: SteelerDramaQueenQB

Unread postby OrangeElf » Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:15 pm

Crash Davis wrote:
Pup wrote:
bw wrote:

This is the type of scenario I envision and also why I hope some how, some way Crabtree falls to us at #5 so we can trade that pick to the highest bidder.

One of the highly regarded draft publications I subscribe to had this to say about Crabtree:

*Michael Crabtree, WR, Texas Tech

Name: *Michael Crabtree (+) Coming off ankle injury
Compares to: Braylon Edwards (Michigan/2005/Rd 1/Cle)
College: Texas Tech Number: 5
Height: 6-3 Weight: 214
Position: WR Pos2: Class/Draft Year: rSo/2009
"On the Brown and Orange bandwagon since 1972 and never gettin' off"
OrangeElf

Favorite Player: Gene Hickerson
Least Favorite Player: Any in Black~n~Gold

Unread postby pod2dawg » Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:59 pm

OK...let's boil it down to my level..."simplistic terms" with a dash of REALITY thrown in for good measure..

1. We aren't trading down.

2. We need Suggs (Peppers), +/or Barton, +/or Dansby..we'll probably land CROWDER.

3. Curry is a TRUE freakish OLB elite talent worthy of #5 ; because of #2. WE should
take him IF he "falls" to us at 5. Yes, I've watched him in person..3yrs.

4. IF we do get Peppers or Suggs then I'm down with Rey at #5.

5. Newsflash: Those of you dreading the Steelers landing Rey and he becoming an animal
get used to it..whoever the Steelers choose will excel as they are joining a table "set".
You don't want to see Clint Sintum, Clay Mathews, Larry English, D.J. Moore, Alex Mack,
Ellarbe Britton, or Jerry Peria in Black & Gold either but one of these will and haunt us. :dead:
Last edited by pod2dawg on Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
pod2dawg
Warrior Poet aka Thread Killer

Favorite Player: Phil Gordon
Least Favorite Player: Lane Kiffin

Unread postby Ziner » Sat Jan 24, 2009 5:53 pm

bw wrote:You DO realize we only have four (4) picks this year, right? We're missing our 3rd, 5th and 7th rounders.

Yeah I know what picks we do and dont have, I dont see you point though. My point is it is not likely we improve the DL much during FA or in the draft. SO...... who do you want to pick. If you dont want a LB, tell me what you do want. You keep telling everyone what you dont want and who we shouldnt take but you cant name me who you want after I have asked 3 times.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Unread postby noles1 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:44 am

To be honest when you look at the Steelers they have to address the OL this draft. Unless someone big falls to them I think they have to bite the bullet and go for an Unger or Mack or best available Tackle left.

They cannot afford to continue to neglect their offensive line depth and talent. If you look at their line it's shocking they are where they are.
Playing here is the closest thing to heaven. Really, I mean it's amazing to be in a place where the fans truly cherish their football team and stick behind them win or lose. We players love them, too. I feel a sense of accomplishment playing here, we are a special breed of football players with a great opportunity." ~ tOSU LB Brian Rolle
noles1

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Mark May's Parents

Unread postby bw » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:24 pm

Which Smith we talking about? Besides, there is another Smith at OLT available and the Iggles DO need an OLT. As do a lot of teams in the League. Or somebody might fall in love with Malcolm Jenkins. And what if KC takes Curry? With Pioli gong there and (possibly) bringing Belichick's 3-4 with him, a guy like Curry might be too much temptation for him.

If Jenkins is there, and IF (a big if, cause I don't know) he is worth the #5 overall, we have to take him. Cornerback is a Premier position in this League the way it is structured these days. And it is the opinion of many that Corner is our most glaring need.
bw

Unread postby onlyindreams » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:07 pm

I'd heard Rey wasn't doing too well at the Senior Bowl. The knock on him really scare me- instincts. You need instincts to be a good MLB. I don't want a MLB that is guessing. Yeah he can hit and yeah he can run, but that doesn't mean as much if you're out of position. Curry, on the other hand, sounds like he has everything you want in a LB.
onlyindreams

Favorite Player: Browns Backup QB
Least Favorite Player: Browns Starting QB

Unread postby bw » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:44 pm

onlyindreams wrote:I'd heard Rey wasn't doing too well at the Senior Bowl. The knock on him really scare me- instincts. You need instincts to be a good MLB. I don't want a MLB that is guessing. Yeah he can hit and yeah he can run, but that doesn't mean as much if you're out of position. Curry, on the other hand, sounds like he has everything you want in a LB.

Point being -- Cost/Benefit. You pick a LBer high and if things work out, you get a nice LBer. Cool y mas.

So? You got a nice LBer. So what? You need four, not one. And, more importantly, you need a DL in front of them that can keep them out of intensive care. Very, very seldom do you see a LBer shed an O-Lineman and make a tackle if the O-Lineman is doing his job properly. Sure -- It happens. But not as often as people think.

All those 'oooohhs' and 'aaaaahs' coming from the announcers booth when a LBer makes a play? Their job is to entertain you not to break down things into football language. That would put people to sleep real fast. Once in a while you'll get one that will tell you that the LBer play was because a certain DT or DE was doing suck and such.

And let's be honest about things. Myself included. We, all of us, are all gaa-gaa about what geniuses (genii?) Belichick and Cowher are, but let's tell the truth. They got lucky. Real lucky. I'm talking, fell into a pile of shit and came out smelling like a rose lucky. Nobody, not even sooper-genius Belichick knew what he'd found in Tom Brady. Or even Matt Cassell. Cowher himself said he had no ideas of drafting a QB when the stupidity of the rest of the NFL let Big Ben fall to them.

But let me define "Luck" for you. "Luck" is when opportunity meets preparedness. Sick of hearing it? Me too, but those guys kept their teams always on the cutting edge until they fell into that pile of doo-doo. We have to give them that much.

And how do both of them prepare their football teams? They both believe in dominating the Line of Scrimmage. Not in back of it, on it.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, if the FO feels that Curry or Rey-Rey is the answer, I damned sure hope they're smarter than the last guys. The ones that gave us Cam Ranh.

And, another OBTW. Somebody said we have a good DL? That's funny stuff. Our DL sucks. It lives in the Land of Suck. We have ONE decent player on the DL. Actually, he's a little more than decent, he's pretty damned good. But the rest of them? The DL as a Unit?

Suckitude.
bw

Unread postby jordan kramer » Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:41 pm

at USC Maualuga looked like a cross between Ray Lewis, L.T., and Andy Katzenmoyer (in college). DeQuell Jackson gets a lotta tackles but isn't a playmaker, and i see Curry the same way. i want a game changer who will knock people out, someone who plays viciously with no regard for human life, not just somebody who reads and reacts.
"i've been gettin G-ed up since i came out the hospital as a baby. i didn't wear pampers, i wore some slacks and some gators on the way home."
"in order for us to grow u gotta know, in order to love the brotherman, u gotta know the otherman. because one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish. knick knack paddy wack, give the dog a bone." - Delonte West

"i'm going to pull your endocrine system out of your body" - Gary Busey
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Who cares about this crap?

WE GOT A MUTHA FUCKIN EARTHQUAKE MACHINE!
jordan kramer

Favorite Player: brown eyed girls
Least Favorite Player: my girlfriend

Unread postby noles1 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 3:46 pm

No offense to your thinking their but I watched a ton of ACC football and I can tell you that the last few years Wake has been solid because of Alphonso Smith and Aaron Curry. They terrorized the ACC and teams schemed away from them completely.

Wake Forest is going to miss them both immensely.
Playing here is the closest thing to heaven. Really, I mean it's amazing to be in a place where the fans truly cherish their football team and stick behind them win or lose. We players love them, too. I feel a sense of accomplishment playing here, we are a special breed of football players with a great opportunity." ~ tOSU LB Brian Rolle
noles1

Favorite Player: Jason Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Mark May's Parents

Unread postby tribefan333 » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:05 pm

5th overall is too high for Rey. If Curry is on the board, there is no debate.
tribefan333
Cleveland Rocks

Favorite Player: Grady/Fausto/Cabrera
Least Favorite Player: Joba Chamberlain

Unread postby JuanBond68 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:55 pm

Maualuga is a guy that will have a couple highlight reel hits once in awhile. However, he seems to be a step slow reading plays, struggles to get off blocks, undisciplined, and benefited by playing with 2 other damn good linebackers. The smarter/safer pick is Curry. We will be able to acquire 2 or more solid linebackers via free agency as well.
JuanBond68

Favorite Player: Joe Thomas
Least Favorite Player: Ray Lewis

Unread postby Crash Davis » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:02 pm

noles1 wrote:To be honest when you look at the Steelers they have to address the OL this draft. Unless someone big falls to them I think they have to bite the bullet and go for an Unger or Mack or best available Tackle left.

They cannot afford to continue to neglect their offensive line depth and talent. If you look at their line it's shocking they are where they are.

Right again Noles as your spot on here with the Stoolers have three free agent starting O-lineman due to hit the market Feb 27th. I was intrigued by Mack's performance in the Senior Bowl and was thinking during the game where he would fall and if he would somehow fall out of the first round maybe to the Browns in the second. When I got down to the bottom of the first round of my mock there were the Stoolers (sitting at 31st of course) and of course they get lucky once again and grab the top player at his position.
"PREDICTION: R.I.P. Chief Wahoo"
Crash Davis

Favorite Player: Lawrence Vickers
Least Favorite Player: SteelerDramaQueenQB

Unread postby jb » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:32 pm

Triple-S wrote:

I keep hearing that as well. Is that true?

Is the Pythogorium Theorum true?
jb

Unread postby jb » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:35 pm

noles1 wrote:No offense to your thinking their but I watched a ton of ACC football and I can tell you that the last few years Wake has been solid because of Alphonso Smith and Aaron Curry. They terrorized the ACC and teams schemed away from them completely.

Wake Forest is going to miss them both immensely.

Shit.

That's like saying the Seattle University hoops program missed Spencer Heywood.

Wake Forest football.

Seriously?
jb

Unread postby pod2dawg » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:57 pm

JB wrote:
Wake Forest football.

Seriously?

Seriously graduate 92%. The Deacs ain't Trojans, Sooners, Longhorns, Gators, Seminoles..or even Buckeyes, but they're OK with it.

And don't forget to watch the Baby Deacs Basketballers take on PUKE tonite..but that's another board.:)
pod2dawg

Unread postby jb » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:06 pm

pod2dawg wrote:
JB wrote:
Wake Forest football.

Seriously?

Seriously graduate 92%. The Deacs ain't Trojans, Sooners, Longhorns, Gators, Seminoles..or even Buckeyes, but they're OK with it.

And don't forget to watch the Baby Deacs Basketballers take on PUKE tonite..but that's another board.:)

Alums....

:clap:

The Deacs aren't the Cardinals, Bearcats, Mounteneers, Utes, ... let alone the Hawkeyes, but they graduate players. Great school. Joke of a "program".

War : Brian Piccolo !
jb

Unread postby pod2dawg » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:20 pm

JB wrote:
pod2dawg wrote:
JB wrote:
Wake Forest football.

Seriously?

Alums....

The Deacs aren't the Cardinals, Bearcats, Mounteneers, Utes, ... let alone the Hawkeyes, but they graduate players. Great school. Joke of a "program".

Ahh unmasked Deac Alum :guns: Our tiny little school of 3,200 holds it's own on the athletic field...it's the Board Room we tend to excel in. I would beg to differ on what programs were "jokes". Who is the joke on when you are out of football with no degree?

Norm Snead
pod2dawg

Unread postby jb » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:27 pm

pod2dawg wrote:
JB wrote:
pod2dawg wrote:
JB wrote:
Wake Forest football.

Seriously?

Alums....

Ahh unmasked Deac Alum :guns: Our tiny little school of 3,200 holds it's own on the athletic field...it's the Board Room we tend to excel in. I would beg to differ on what programs were "jokes". Who is the joke on when you are out of football with no degree?

Norm Snead

Great school. Pre-eminant institution. Amazing outcomes.

Football "program"?

Complete shit cept for an anomoly.

Come correct.

James Harrison is DPOTY. You don't see me bulllshitting you on KSU football.
jb

Unread postby pod2dawg » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:51 pm

Too-chay JB : However, unmasked let me toot a tad...we both agree on the premiereness of the WAKE as an institution of higher learning....

Since Jim Grobe came to Winston-Salem the Deacs have been building a respectable "program" attracting & developing better talent and even winning the ACC.
So there will be more anomolies..see Curry & Alphonso.

I also did time in Columbus (Grad School) so I've seen it done in college sports both ways... Cousineau IS NOT GAY FOLKS ....unless doinking smokin hot coeds makes you gay.

As for Kent..Got to love the f^&&*ckin flashes....sweet LOU, Lambert, Cribbs, & Harrison.

Don't be a Deac hater caus they wear black & gold. (cash)
pod2dawg

Unread postby jb » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:56 pm

pod2dawg wrote:Too-chay JB : However, unmasked let me toot a tad...we both agree on the premiereness of the WAKE as an institution of higher learning....

Since Jim Grobe came to Winston-Salem the Deacs have been building a respectable "program" attracting & developing better talent and even winning the ACC.

I also did time in Columbus (Grad School) so I've seen it done in college sports both ways... Cousineau IS NOT GAY FOLKS ....unless doinking smokin hot coeds makes you gay.

As for Kent..Got to love the f^&&*ckin flashes....sweet LOU, Lambert, Cribbs, & Harrison.

Preeminance, too!

Then again, I just went to KSU, and I respect the reproductive rights of gerbils.
jb

Unread postby pod2dawg » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:11 pm

JB wrote:
Preeminance, too! :thumb up: Haven't seen that adj. in years.

Then again, I just went to KSU, and I respect the reproductive rights of gerbils.

:lmfao: Gerbils have rights too. Now get ESPN on.
pod2dawg

Unread postby Triple-S » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:18 pm

As of late they've been pissing me off screwing up Clemson's shot at a BCS bid, though a lot of that blame lays on Bowdens shoulders ;)

Though I think they've been pissed at Clemson ever since they laid '82 points on them in route to national title

No disrespect intended towards the alumni on the board, as to quote what Northwestern's student section used to shout back in the day "That's alright, that's okay, We're going to be your boss someday!"

Heard Curry had a GF who went to Clemson, how Clemson didn't nab him just is beyond me, but from the looks of it he was only a two-star coming into college.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:25 am

JB wrote:
pod2dawg wrote:
JB wrote:
pod2dawg wrote:
JB wrote:
Wake Forest football.

Seriously?

Alums....

Norm Snead

Great school. Pre-eminant institution. Amazing outcomes.

Football "program"?

Complete shit cept for an anomoly.

Come correct.

James Harrison is DPOTY. You don't see me bulllshitting you on KSU football.

Feh, I have always loved the Deacs. Dated the daughter of the President of Salem College (you know, the all girls school across town) for years. I started following the program when I started on with her and JB is a little bit off base.

He needs him some Tim Duncan love.

Wake is a place that breeds nothing, but catches fire with prospects from time to time. Curry is very very probably one of them and is .12% of the psycho Rey-Rey is.

I tend to think of Wake in its current state as a wanna be UNC. They'll land some studs, just not many.

They have had two studs on their D for the last two years.

Deal with it without prejudice.

As you said JB, anomaly, you just fail to embrace it.
Last edited by e0y2e3 on Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby e0y2e3 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:42 am

JB wrote:
pod2dawg wrote:Too-chay JB : However, unmasked let me toot a tad...we both agree on the premiereness of the WAKE as an institution of higher learning....

Preeminance, too!

Okay, that if effing funny.

Really... really... funny.
“Irony is wasted on the stupid” - Oscar Wilde
e0y2e3
Et Tu, Brute?

Favorite Player: Prosecutor
Least Favorite Player: motherscratcher

Unread postby gotribe31 » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:19 am

Final "stock report" for Rey-Rey at the Senior Bowl:

2. USC MLB Rey Maualuga
Maualuga clearly will have a tough time matching up with NFL backs and tight ends in man coverage. He just doesn't have the hip fluidity to do so, and it showed during Senior Bowl week. Perhaps more importantly, he lacks ideal instinct and got caught out of position too often during the week. So why is he No. 2 on this list? Maualuga is a wrecking ball of a run defender. The 254-pounder is aggressive and blows up blockers even when he doesn't fill the correct gap. He also has above-average range for his size and impressed us with the awareness he showed in zone coverage as the week progressed.
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
gotribe31

Favorite Player: Francisco Lindor
Least Favorite Player: Michigan

Previous

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL