Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Interesting Column - NFL Re-Draft

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Interesting Column - NFL Re-Draft

Unread postby swerb » Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:06 am

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/w ... index.html

What the teams would do if they do if they could re-do the NFL Draft now. Love Wimbley ... but man, Mangold would look good in the middle of that line.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby wmurphyhh » Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:24 pm

I agree Mangold would look good in the middle of the line. Yet, Ferguson would look better at LT with Shaffer at RT. I know the SI draft had him to going earlier. Just continuing my campaign that we'll never win until we get a all pro caliber LT.

I don't think we can criticize Savage on this year's first two picks. Wimbley has 7.5 sacks for a defense with Daven Holly starting at CB. When was the last time that we had a defensive rookie with a legit chance at 10+ sacks. Jackson is starting to come on as a tackling machine. I think we have two future Pro Bowl LBs. I'd love to see what Wimbley can do when he can pick up a coverage sack or has a dominating lineman to compliment him.

Plus Leon Williams is still an unknown...
wmurphyhh
"Murph"

Favorite Player: Joe Haden
Least Favorite Player: Chris Johnson

Unread postby pup » Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:56 pm

Just continuing my campaign that we'll never win until we get a all pro caliber LT

What if there are no all pro caliber left tackles to acquire? This year's draft is going to be a great example. By all accounts that I have seen, there is one, Joe Thomas and unless we go back into the tank, he will be gone before we pick. Sam Baker and Jake Long would be the next in line, but neither is really a top 10 pick. If they can't trade down, what do they do? Reach on a guy because he plays a certain position? Go to position of need #2? Take best available?
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby wmurphyhh » Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:46 pm

Reach on a guy because he plays a certain position? Go to position of need #2? Take best available?

I say move to position of need #2. We've got enough needs OL, DL, CB.
I think the best available player position applies to playoff teams. We're definitely not in that category. I just do not want to us to be the next Detroit Lions - taking WRs (i.e. Johnson or Ginn) high every year. It's bad enough that we are acting like the Bengals of the '90s.

I do not think we'll be bad enough to snag Peterson.
wmurphyhh
"Murph"

Favorite Player: Joe Haden
Least Favorite Player: Chris Johnson

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL