Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Mangina offically hired

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Re: Mangina offically hired

Unread postby OSU819903 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:52 pm

Dozen wrote:
Peeker643 wrote:
4thQtrGlory wrote:
Ziner wrote:
Dozen wrote:
OSU819903 wrote:Cannot believe how slow this thread is growing. As someone mentioned Pavano is blowing this thread away. I never thought I would see that; a thread about a washed up pitcher is beating one about a new Browns Coach. Still think it is a good move, get the GM_Pres or GM/Pres and I can let myself get psyched.

IMO, this site has more of an Indians feel with the STO affiliation. Thats not to say they dont cover the Browns well or anything like that. There is another site where there is more posts but be careful what you wish for...................it doesnt make it any better just because more are talking about it. Sometimes volume ='s dilution. ;-) ;) :wink:

agreed on that other site, if we are speaking of the same one. I think people arent going nuts because there isnt much to say. By all accounts Mangina was going to get the job for the past few days, add up all those posts. Also we dont have a GM, OC, or DC give it time and it will explode, we already tore Mangina up and down and not much else to say... in the mean time :pop:

If this is the same site im thinking about, their forums are a goddamn joke and a half. There are too many rules, suspensions for posting rumors(even with a link), and 14 yr old kids goofing around because they are bored. They might have 500 posts on tonights activities, BUT quantity is not important as quality. Makes me appreciate this site, these boards, and the guys i have mature and educated conversations with on a nightly basis.

With the exception of Pup of course.

Thats because he's posting wearing a Joe Thomas nightgown (jk) :dingle:

Sorry I had to quote them all again, just thought it is a funny little scene pictured. I'm not new hear, I know Magini's been the guy for over a week. Still find it funny that Pavano's winning. Something that hasn't been mentioned, especially to all of those who are all over Randy, this is the first time in what, 50 years the Browns have hired someone with previous HC experience. At least that insanity is over.
"Forever, tomorrow and a day"
OSU819903

Favorite Player: A-Cab
Least Favorite Player: Chad, the Altel Guy

Unread postby mattvan1 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:01 am

OSU819903 wrote:Cannot believe how slow this thread is growing. As someone mentioned Pavano is blowing this thread away. I never thought I would see that; a thread about a washed up pitcher is beating one about a new Browns Coach. Still think it is a good move, get the GM_Pres or GM/Pres and I can let myself get psyched.

Denial - We are the Cleveland Browns with a long traditional and a history of excellence. People will love to come here. Cowher ate a steak dinner in Beachwood and is building a house in Solon.
Anger - Randy is clueless. He doesn't have a process. This is completely fubar
Bargaining - Well, maybe we can still get Pioli or Heckert. McKay? We have a decent roster, don't we?
Depression - Who cares what happens? I don't. It's hopeless.
Acceptance - We can no longer fight it, so let's get prepared.

Dude, no one is posting because a) this was known for a couple of days and b) no one really gives 2 shits. Most are somewhere between Depression and Acceptance. I don't believe "Giddy" or "Excited" was ever part of the grieving process.
Last edited by mattvan1 on Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Unread postby Dozen » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:02 am

I like the hire, but I liked Butch, Romeo, Savage as well. It's all about winning, and how he will be defined. Pavano is some stiff hump, almost was, rehab project that Shapiro has to find every offseason because his boss is cheap. People give Lerner alot of shit, but he aint afraid to cut losses and pay 2 guys for the same job. I'd rather have an more private type owner who gives his team the means, than a visible cheap ass.
http://www.thesportshole.com

http://www.youtube.com/TheSportsHole

I have never seen so many kok heads all lumped together like that ~ Yhimmie
Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Favorite Player: my son
Least Favorite Player: venomous/bipolar

Unread postby Spin » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:04 am

23-25 and 0-1 when there's Super Bowl winning coaches out there available.

It's going to take a LOT more than this to get me back.
Spin

Favorite Player: Jack N. Coke
Least Favorite Player: 72 hour work weeks

Unread postby 4thQtrGlory » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:08 am

Dozen wrote:I like the hire, but I liked Butch, Romeo, Savage as well. It's all about winning, and how he will be defined. Pavano is some stiff hump, almost was, rehab project that Shapiro has to find every offseason because his boss is cheap. People give Lerner alot of shit, but he aint afraid to cut losses and pay 2 guys for the same job. I'd rather have an more private type owner who gives his team the means, than a visible cheap ass.

+1
4thQtrGlory

Favorite Player: Bernie
Least Favorite Player: NE Ohio Steeler Fan

Unread postby Ziner » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:42 am

mattvan1 wrote:Most are somewhere between Depression and Acceptance.

thats me :hide:
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy

Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Unread postby consigliere » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:46 am

I am on board with Mangini.

But like others, I am not on board with the selection process and the way Lerner went about it. Never have been a fan of his, and while his money and his franchise being an NFL franchise helps him skate by the venomous fans on these boards.....to me he is the worst owner in town. And that says a lot because of he existence of someone else in this town.

As for Mangini....I like that he had his first foray into coaching elsewhere and hopefully has learned from his mistakes. My question though, is 10 days enough time to learn from them? I mean he was just fired last Monday! Bellichick came back 4-5 years later after his initial stint with the Browns.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
consigliere

Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Unread postby BooyaCS » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:07 am

OMFG people get away from ledge.

Ok so you don't agree with the selection process yet he did what a lot of businesses out there do. They find a guy they like and make a play for him.

Also SB Winning coaches? Who? Cowher said he wasn't interested. Shanahan? Not answering phone calls.

A lot of people said they didn't want a Coordinator or a College coach. A coach with experience to come in and not learn on the job. Then who? Who is available that you would want that would actually come to Cleveland? Also consider this. This is more of a young man's game than baseball or basketball so a 59+ yr old HC is not the way to go.

With the current state of affairs Mangini was the best option available. Give him a chance before we string him up.. And Lerner the worst owner? Please...
BooyaCS

Unread postby Lebowski » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:16 am

Ok so you don't agree with the selection process yet he did what a lot of businesses out there do. They find a guy they like and make a play for him.

What makes him qualified to make that decision?

Maybe he can enlighten us all at tomorrow's presser....oops, forgot Jammies has stage fright!

Eh, they can always trot out Quinn and Thomas again.

What a joke.
- Lebowski
Lebowski
The Dude

Favorite Player: Z
Least Favorite Player: BE

Unread postby Dozen » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:21 am

Consigliere wrote:I am on board with Mangini.

But like others, I am not on board with the selection process and the way Lerner went about it. Never have been a fan of his, and while his money and his franchise being an NFL franchise helps him skate by the venomous fans on these boards.....to me he is the worst owner in town. And that says a lot because of he existence of someone else in this town.

As for Mangini....I like that he had his first foray into coaching elsewhere and hopefully has learned from his mistakes. My question though, is 10 days enough time to learn from them? I mean he was just fired last Monday! Bellichick came back 4-5 years later after his initial stint with the Browns.

I can't honestly see how anyone thinks he's the worst owner in town. I agree his track record thus far and ways about him tick people off but I'm not looking to break bread with either. I judge by their actions.

1) Gilbert- Obviously has been very aggressive and isn't afraid to spend money. He's brought jobs to the community and has been everything you can ask for in an owner. Very good head of an organization and he also hired a HC before a GM, but having #23 has someting to do with it.

2) Lerner- he hasn't won, he needs to point blank. This is his last shot IMO in this city. Because if this fails, the fans will force him to sell. There wont be any more HC's hired by Lerner. But he does shell it out. Seems like every year we've been very active in Free Agency/Trades ect. Re-doing contracts. The guy aint cheap, it hasnt worked out but for my money...............I choose someone who honestly tries.

3) Dolan- Was rated #4 until the Gladiators folded. Seriously here, the guy hasn't done much either. They are a "lightning in a bottle team". Just a fragile of an organization through and through. Without getting into how bad of a manager they have and had way too long. From injuries to wasted funds, the little they spend. I cant honestly say they put the best product on the field that they could.
http://www.thesportshole.com

http://www.youtube.com/TheSportsHole

I have never seen so many kok heads all lumped together like that ~ Yhimmie
Dozen
TheSportsHole.com

Favorite Player: my son
Least Favorite Player: venomous/bipolar

Unread postby Toxicadam » Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:13 am

With so many vacancies at HC around the league, it's not like the Browns had their pick of any guy they wanted. Mangini represents a clear upgrade from RAC and is a much better pick than some shitty college coach like Ferentz. But, he is obviously NOT the best coach out there.

So, with the rumors that Mangini and RAC are buddies .. looks like it might be even more likely that RAC stays on as Def. Coordinator?
Toxicadam

Unread postby stretch51 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:11 am

4thQtrGlory wrote:
Ziner wrote:
Dozen wrote:

IMO, this site has more of an Indians feel with the STO affiliation. Thats not to say they dont cover the Browns well or anything like that. There is another site where there is more posts but be careful what you wish for...................it doesnt make it any better just because more are talking about it. Sometimes volume ='s dilution. ;-) ;) :wink:

agreed on that other site, if we are speaking of the same one. I think people arent going nuts because there isnt much to say. By all accounts Mangina was going to get the job for the past few days, add up all those posts. Also we dont have a GM, OC, or DC give it time and it will explode, we already tore Mangina up and down and not much else to say... in the mean time :pop:

If this is the same site im thinking about, their forums are a goddamn joke and a half. There are too many rules, suspensions for posting rumors(even with a link), and 14 yr old kids goofing around because they are bored. They might have 500 posts on tonights activities, BUT quantity is not important as quality. Makes me appreciate this site, these boards, and the guys i have mature and educated conversations with on a nightly basis.

There are other Browns Forums out there? :dingle:
stretch51

Favorite Player: Joe Jakubick
Least Favorite Player: Loy Vaught

Unread postby stretch51 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:13 am

BooyaCS wrote:Daboll I don't know much about except he is canadian.

Maybe the Jets' end of year slide was attributed to Punting on 3rd Down, and expecting to get a point for a missed Field Goal.
stretch51

Favorite Player: Joe Jakubick
Least Favorite Player: Loy Vaught

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:35 am

Consigliere wrote:As for Mangini....I like that he had his first foray into coaching elsewhere and hopefully has learned from his mistakes. My question though, is 10 days enough time to learn from them? I mean he was just fired last Monday! Bellichick came back 4-5 years later after his initial stint with the Browns.

Different circumstances: Mumbles was fired on his own merits and flaws, Mangini got the shaft in favor of Raggedy Andy the QB. And even then, Mangini still won nine games. It could be argued that Mumbles had more to learn than he does.
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Unread postby Magic Brownies » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:43 pm

Heckert has cancelled his interview due to unfamilarity with Mangini and/or the situation in general.

http://blogs.nfl.com/category/adam-schefter/

Its too bad, I was favoring him over Kokinis. I think we are fresh out of other canidates now. :bag:
Magic Brownies

Favorite Player: Run for the Hillis
Least Favorite Player: Rapistberger

Unread postby Guest » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:16 pm

Spin wrote:23-25 and 0-1 when there's Super Bowl winning coaches out there available.

It's going to take a LOT more than this to get me back.

They may be out THERE.

But there was no way in hell they were coming HERE. Not this year, at least.

Unread postby jordan kramer » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:29 pm

correct me if i'm wrong but didn't we just go into the New England/Bill Belichek coaching well with Romeo? i really would've liked to see some creativity. i'm very upset they didn't make a serious run at Shanahan. He was by far the best, most experianced, winingest candidate out there.
"i've been gettin G-ed up since i came out the hospital as a baby. i didn't wear pampers, i wore some slacks and some gators on the way home."
"in order for us to grow u gotta know, in order to love the brotherman, u gotta know the otherman. because one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish. knick knack paddy wack, give the dog a bone." - Delonte West

"i'm going to pull your endocrine system out of your body" - Gary Busey
Cerebral_DownTime wrote:Who cares about this crap?

WE GOT A MUTHA FUCKIN EARTHQUAKE MACHINE!
jordan kramer

Favorite Player: brown eyed girls
Least Favorite Player: my girlfriend

Unread postby Guest » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:53 pm

jordan kramer wrote:correct me if i'm wrong but didn't we just go into the New England/Bill Belichek coaching well with Romeo? i really would've liked to see some creativity. i'm very upset they didn't make a serious run at Shanahan. He was by far the best, most experianced, winingest candidate out there.

Would you feel differently if you found out that Lerner didn't make a serious run at Shanahan because he found out that Shanahan simply wasn't interested in the job?

Unread postby Spin » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:34 am

Also SB Winning coaches? Who? Cowher said he wasn't interested. Shanahan? Not answering phone calls.

Spin

Unread postby Triple-S » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:46 am

Spin wrote:

Billick hates Cleveland.

no chance he would have taken the job.
Swerb wrote:Go start a blog if you want to tell the world your incomprehendible ramblings.

Cerebral_DownTime wrote:I have a big arm and can throw the ball pretty damn far...... maybe even over those moutains. The Browns should sign me, i'll let you all in locker room to drink beer. Then we can all go out the parking lot to watch me do motorcycle stunts.
Triple-S
All-time leader in moral victories

Favorite Player: Yuengling
Least Favorite Player: Nati Light.

Unread postby BDFD » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:48 am

And we hate Billick. That picture should never be posted here again.
BDFD

Favorite Player: Nuke LaLoosh
Least Favorite Player: Duke Temple

Unread postby 4thQtrGlory » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:56 am

BDFD wrote:And we hate Billick. That picture should never be posted here again.

Ever
4thQtrGlory

Favorite Player: Bernie
Least Favorite Player: NE Ohio Steeler Fan

Unread postby BooyaCS » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:13 am

That is unless it is photoshopped with Billick in a dress.

Or Mangini wins a SB in Cleveland
BooyaCS

Unread postby Brendan » Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:02 am

4thQtrGlory wrote:
BDFD wrote:And we hate Billick. That picture should never be posted here again.

Ever

..and ever.

Amen.

Fuck Billick.
"When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less."
Paul Brown
Brendan

Favorite Player: Lebron/Victor/Cribbs
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby scotty dawg » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:57 am

he disrespected papa lerner,and that shyte don't go with jammies.just turned around when the rats came calling as legend has it.but we got palmer (or was it the butch era?)
I for one love mangini the more I hear him talk.I'll love him even more if we start winning.let's start with a touchdown (are they still worth 6 points with the option of one or two points afterwards?)

"there's a gleam"
scotty dawg

Favorite Player: phil dawson
Least Favorite Player: none!

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:25 am

Spin wrote:

l o l

Sincerely,
John Harbaugh
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Unread postby Guest » Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:56 am

Spin wrote:

On no you di'int.

Unread postby exiledbuckeye » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:24 pm

scotty dawg wrote:he disrespected papa lerner,and that shyte don't go with jammies.just turned around when the rats came calling as legend has it.but we got palmer (or was it the butch era?)
I for one love mangini the more I hear him talk.I'll love him even more if we start winning.let's start with a touchdown (are they still worth 6 points with the option of one or two points afterwards?)

"there's a gleam"

Actually I think the Browns should get the "girl in co-ed flag football" treatment. If they manage to score a touchdown, they get 9 points.
exiledbuckeye

Favorite Player: OSU
Least Favorite Player: scUM

Unread postby scotty dawg » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:59 pm

how about teams that had winning records in '08 have to spot us 10 points?

"there's a gleam"
Last edited by scotty dawg on Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
scotty dawg

Favorite Player: phil dawson
Least Favorite Player: none!

Unread postby Spin » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:01 am

Billick hates Cleveland.

Sure he would have, he said so two weeks before Romeo was fired.

So you guys would rather have an ex-Steeler coach who inherited a playoff team and took 13 years to win a Super Bowl over someone who took Modell's mess and won in two? Granted we pretty much have a mess as big now. But come on, why the man crush on Cowher?

There's already people hoping he replaces Mangini in 2010.

Just hire someone who has won within a decade of being hired. Or won anything at all...

Oh hell, I forgot. This is Cleveland.
Spin

Unread postby CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:00 am

Havent had a chance to weigh in on this yet so...

Has anyone here actually ever WATCHED any games coached by Mangini?!

There's a few kinds of coaches. You've got coaches who actually tip the balance to win games for their team. They squeeze whatever talent they have and make the team better than they actually are. First 3 off the top of my head would be Shanahan, Belichick, and Fisher.

Then you've got coaches who manage their teams to wins. They may not necessarily add any wins, but they dont screw up what is actually there. I'd put Tomlin and Coughlin in this class.

Coaches should NEVER EVER be the sole cause of their team's losses. You watch pretty much any Jets' loss from the past 3 years, and you will see Mangini's direct hand in the losing effort. The game most familiar to most Browns' fans would be the one in the Meadowlands last year where Jamal ripped off a 30 yard TD to ice it. (A game which I was one of the wet bedraggled fans starting up the Dawg Pound East for the 4th quarter.) Has any coach up until then ever settled for a FG in order to try an onside kick in order to attempt a FG in order to set up an onside kick for another FG???

The most recent example of Mangini blowing it that I can recall was the 2nd to last game of the season vs the Seahawks. Early in the game when it seemed like a TD could be enough to win with the way the weather looked, he settled for a FG on a very short field (I think it was 4th and inches at the 3? I could be wrong). Again, this was against the Seahawks, who's D was in the bottom 3 of the league all year. Later in the game Feely kicked a FG which was true and had more than enough distance, but the Jets were flagged for an inexcusable delay of game penalty (stupid penalties sound familiar?). Instead of having Feely just kick another FG from 5 yards deeper, as he'd just shown moments ago he was more than capable of doing, Mangini elected to punt. This with his team down 7-3. As if this werent enough, early in the 4th quarter with the Jets trailing 10-3 and points at a premium, Mangini elected to punt from the Seattle 32. Just one game he really screwed up off the top of my head.

The man is probably the worst game coach I have ever personally seen. I dont know what goes on behind the scenes - in the locker room, in creating the playbook, in player relations etc - all I know is what I've seen on the field for 3 years, and that is a man who single handedly lost games for his team without ever touching the ball.

I got text messages from 6 or 7 Jet fan friends of mine about the Mangini signing. Every single message contained, and this is a direct quote, "HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA".

Denial - We are the Cleveland Browns with a long traditional and a history of excellence. People will love to come here. Cowher ate a steak dinner in Beachwood and is building a house in Solon.
Anger - Randy is clueless. He doesn't have a process. This is completely fubar
Bargaining - Well, maybe we can still get Pioli or Heckert. McKay? We have a decent roster, don't we?
Depression - Who cares what happens? I don't. It's hopeless.
Acceptance - We can no longer fight it, so let's get prepared.

Nailed it. I never wanted Cowher so that part didnt bother me, but I experienced all the other stages to a T. Now I'm at the point where I'm alternating between Anger, Depression, and Smashing My Head Into The Wall, with a bit of Acceptance thrown in when I'm very drunk.

Goddamn you Randy Lerner. Goddamn you for condemning me to 4 more years of awful football.
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07!

Favorite Player: Troy Smith
Least Favorite Player: Braylon/Hughes/Pryor

Unread postby happybluebird » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:03 am

CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! wrote:Has anyone here actually ever WATCHED any games coached by Mangini?!
No,not really, maybe one or two. Probably more, but I never really paid attention to Mangini.

Coaches should NEVER EVER be the sole cause of their team's losses. You watch pretty much any Jets' loss from the past 3 years, and you will see Mangini's direct hand in the losing effort. The game most familiar to most Browns' fans would be the one in the Meadowlands last year where Jamal ripped off a 30 yard TD to ice it. (A game which I was one of the wet bedraggled fans starting up the Dawg Pound East for the 4th quarter.) Has any coach up until then ever settled for a FG in order to try an onside kick in order to attempt a FG in order to set up an onside kick for another FG???

The most recent example of Mangini blowing it that I can recall was the 2nd to last game of the season vs the Seahawks. Early in the game when it seemed like a TD could be enough to win with the way the weather looked, he settled for a FG on a very short field (I think it was 4th and inches at the 3? I could be wrong). Again, this was against the Seahawks, who's D was in the bottom 3 of the league all year. Later in the game Feely kicked a FG which was true and had more than enough distance, but the Jets were flagged for an inexcusable delay of game penalty (stupid penalties sound familiar?). Instead of having Feely just kick another FG from 5 yards deeper, as he'd just shown moments ago he was more than capable of doing, Mangini elected to punt. This with his team down 7-3. As if this werent enough, early in the 4th quarter with the Jets trailing 10-3 and points at a premium, Mangini elected to punt from the Seattle 32. Just one game he really screwed up off the top of my head.

The man is probably the worst game coach I have ever personally seen. I dont know what goes on behind the scenes - in the locker room, in creating the playbook, in player relations etc - all I know is what I've seen on the field for 3 years, and that is a man who single handedly lost games for his team without ever touching the ball.

I got text messages from 6 or 7 Jet fan friends of mine about the Mangini signing. Every single message contained, and this is a direct quote, "HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA".

...... with a bit of Acceptance thrown in when I'm very drunk.
okay, now I need to be very drunk

Goddamn you Randy Lerner. Goddamn you for condemning me to 4 more years of awful football.

happybluebird

Unread postby Jennifer » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:26 pm

Hey Bud:

"Now that Eric Mangini has been named the Browns' head coach, any truth to the rumor that he's buying the home Bill Cowher purchased in Strongsville, or was it Westlake, no wait, I mean Solon? -- Tim Long.

The rumor mill does go haywire, Tim. But an impeachable source tells me that Mangini finished second in the bidding on all three Cowher houses to Mike Holmgren.

Bud:

"This Lerner process has been pathetic, to say the least. I have been a Browns fan for 50+ years and finally have wised up. I am announcing to the world that I am no longer a Browns fan. -- Greg

Greg, with Kansas City, Detroit, Green Bay and Oakland on the schedule, you might want to wait a year before renouncing your allegiance

http://www.cleveland.com/budshaw/index. ... pin_2.html
I never learn anything if everyone always agrees with me.
Jennifer

Unread postby Jennifer » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:31 am

The day after Mangini was fired, 28 Jets players went to the complex to meet with their now-former coach. Mangini was touched and a bit surprised that so many guys wished him well and thanked him for making them better players. Mangini sometimes annoyed players with pop quizzes during the week about their opponents, and he never would have been called Mr. Sunshine. But many seemed to have real respect for him.

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/blog/ind ... _trib.html
I never learn anything if everyone always agrees with me.
Jennifer

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:43 am

Spin wrote:So you guys would rather have an ex-Steeler coach who inherited a playoff team and took 13 years to win a Super Bowl over someone who took Modell's mess and won in two?

Again, l o l.

Sincerely,
John Harbaugh on his way to the AFC Championship

Just hire someone who has won within a decade of being hired. Or won anything at all...

I hear George Siefert and Barry Switzer are available.
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:45 am

CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! wrote:Coaches should NEVER EVER be the sole cause of their team's losses. You watch pretty much any Jets' loss from the past 3 years, and you will see Mangini's direct hand in the losing effort.

Mangini forced Favre into all those INTs?

P.S. Dungy, Cogs, Mumbles, Chin, and the Rat tell me that coaches never learn anything from their mistakes.
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Unread postby Guest » Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:37 am

Spin wrote:
Billick hates Cleveland.

Sure he would have, he said so two weeks before Romeo was fired.

So you guys would rather have an ex-Steeler coach who inherited a playoff team and took 13 years to win a Super Bowl over someone who took Modell's mess and won in two? Granted we pretty much have a mess as big now. But come on, why the man crush on Cowher?

There's already people hoping he replaces Mangini in 2010.

Oh hell, I forgot. This is Cleveland.

There's already people hoping that Cowher takes over the Browns in 2010,

There's far fewer hoping Brian Billick takes over the team now or ever.

The coach gets fired and the rookie coach with a rookie QB makes the team better. Huge endorsement. Like deodorent made of onion and ass.

Unread postby Spin » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:04 am

The coach gets fired and the rookie coach with a rookie QB makes the team better. Huge endorsement. Like deodorent made of onion and ass.

Huge endorsement for hiring a retread too...

;-) ;) :wink:
Spin

Unread postby Guest » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:43 pm

Spin wrote:

Huge endorsement for hiring a retread too...

;-) ;) :wink:

Touche.

Unread postby jordan kramer » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:08 pm

Hiko wrote:
jordan kramer wrote:correct me if i'm wrong but didn't we just go into the New England/Bill Belichek coaching well with Romeo? i really would've liked to see some creativity. i'm very upset they didn't make a serious run at Shanahan. He was by far the best, most experianced, winingest candidate out there.

Would you feel differently if you found out that Lerner didn't make a serious run at Shanahan because he found out that Shanahan simply wasn't interested in the job?

dude if u throw enough money at him he would have suddenly became interested
"i've been gettin G-ed up since i came out the hospital as a baby. i didn't wear pampers, i wore some slacks and some gators on the way home."
"in order for us to grow u gotta know, in order to love the brotherman, u gotta know the otherman. because one fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish. knick knack paddy wack, give the dog a bone." - Delonte West

jordan kramer

Unread postby Spin » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:17 pm

Hard to say, was it Harbough or Flacco this year? What would Billick have done with Flacco?

Doesn't matter now. Randy got his man. We'll know in a couple years if it was the right choice.
Spin

Unread postby General » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:16 pm

In response to Chris' article, I just don't care. The Browns need to show me some goddam results as I am seriously losing interest in there lame attempts to improve. At 47 going on 48 there are many more things that occupy my interest than that dysfunctional organization. Have an effing clue and some cohesive direction for godssake. If I was as bad at my job..... Wake me up when you have a clue Lerner, Manigini, or whoever else decides to run away and join that circus. :fu:

:spanky:
Browns are an irrelevant and comical organization
General

Favorite Player: Paul Warfield
Least Favorite Player: 537 Idiots in DC

Unread postby hornet84 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:02 pm

Just a random thought from my rambling mind ? Why was Mangini so anxious to come to Cleveland ? Chip on his shoulder for being fired by the Jets ? Probably.

How about this angle ? What would be sweeter than winning a championship in the city where BB could not make the cut ? I am sure that was not in the front of his mind when Randy came calling, but it may have crossed his mind at some point during the process.

What do you guys think ? Could this be part of Eric's willingness to take on this mess, that we lovingly know as the " Cleveland Browns" ?
hornet84
Big Mon

Favorite Player: The Big Show
Least Favorite Player: Bud Selig

Unread postby CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! » Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:17 pm

Madre Hill, Superstar wrote:
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! wrote:Coaches should NEVER EVER be the sole cause of their team's losses. You watch pretty much any Jets' loss from the past 3 years, and you will see Mangini's direct hand in the losing effort.

Mangini forced Favre into all those INTs?

Favre has been throwing pathetic picks for years. Been winning for years too.

The Jets would be handing it to their Pro Bowl Starter running back Thomas Jones late in games instead of Favre throwing ducks if Mangini hadnt blown the game earlier. A game earlier this year saw Favre throw not only on 1st and goal, not only on 2nd and goal, but again (unsuccessfully) on 3rd and goal. This after a drive led almost completely by the running game.

I've been living in NY using Mangini's name as a punchline for the last 3 years. Maybe he'll have learned from his mistakes? Maybe Favre was a bigger factor than I'm admitting? Who knows. What I do know is that the man coaching my Cleveland Browns in 2009-2012 put on the the worst extended display of coaching I have ever witnessed.

Spin all you want. but please, if you have the stomach for it, watch any Jets loss from the past 3 years.
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07!

Unread postby Guest » Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:20 pm

jordan kramer wrote:
Hiko wrote:

You know that for sure, do you?

If just throwing enough money at him is the only issue, why don't we just do that to Cowher?

Unread postby hornet84 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:35 pm

jordan kramer wrote:
Hiko wrote:

Shanahan is getting paid a lot of money not to coach right now. He can pick and choose the right opportunity for HIM. I don't think Cleveland is his dream job. I think Mike is going to be very selective and probably wait at least two years to coach again. He is probably quite content collecting a paycheck from Bowen and watching his mansion being built.
hornet84
Big Mon

Favorite Player: The Big Show
Least Favorite Player: Bud Selig

Unread postby jordan kramer » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:42 pm

Hiko wrote:
jordan kramer wrote:
Hiko wrote:

You know that for sure, do you?

If just throwing enough money at him is the only issue, why don't we just do that to Cowher?

because Cowher still bleeds black and gold and wouldn't go against the Rooney's like that and coach the steelers rivals. i just really wanted Shanahan, i think he is a really good coach, it was a little bit of a cop out to hire Mangini so quickly

jordan kramer

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:51 pm

CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! wrote:Favre has been throwing pathetic picks for years. Been winning for years too.

Sincerely,
Mike Sherman
A game earlier this year saw Favre throw not only on 1st and goal, not only on 2nd and goal, but again (unsuccessfully) on 3rd and goal. This after a drive led almost completely by the running game.

And how many of these were audibles?
Spin all you want. but please, if you have the stomach for it, watch any Jets loss from the past 3 years.

Can I watch the wins too?
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist

Unread postby CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07! » Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:02 am

I tried doing what you're doing for a couple of hours after I heard about the signing, I really did. The whole "His players all seem to like him" rationalization, the "It was all Favre's fault!" justification, the "Most Super Bowl coaches failed at their first stop!" argument. But it always comes back to what I actually watched with my own eyes on Sundays, and not what I read on Wednesday afternoons when I'm bored at work.

So be my guest Madre. Go ahead and watch the games. I'll be waiting here to console you when you're done.
CAVSTRIBEBROWNSin07!

Unread postby Spin » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:26 am

The whole "His players all seem to like him" rationalization, the "It was all {insert QB or WR} fault!" justification,

Sounds like Romeo.
Spin

PreviousNext

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL