Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Mangina offically hired

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Mangina offically hired

Unread postby Ziner » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:28 pm

Reported by WKNR through the Browns, no rumor its true
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
User avatar
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy
 
Posts: 7063
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:04 pm
Location: Boulder, Colorado
Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Re: Mangina offically hired

Unread postby consigliere » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:29 pm

WKYC just reported it too.
Indians Prospect Insider: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/
Image
User avatar
consigliere
 
Posts: 10822
Joined: Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:22 am
Location: Painesville Twp, OH
Favorite Player: Jeff Stevens
Least Favorite Player: Carl Willis

Re: Mangina offically hired

Unread postby onlyindreams » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:31 pm

Yeah saw it on Drennen's show. I guess this means Kokinis might not be part of the deal? I wonder if Heckert approves of Mangini and vice versa?
onlyindreams
 
Posts: 1379
Joined: Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:13 pm
Favorite Player: Browns Backup QB
Least Favorite Player: Browns Starting QB

Re: Mangina offically hired

Unread postby Ziner » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:31 pm

Good luck 'gina your gonna need it. Who knows he might be the one or he could be gone in 3 years. Personally I just feel nothing right now, no excitement not all that pissed. Kinda wish they at least talked to the rat, but they didnt its over. Sure hope Mankok comes to fruition soon.

OC - I am hearing Callahan
DC - Romeo cant really stay can he? That is embarassing
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
User avatar
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy
 
Posts: 7063
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:04 pm
Location: Boulder, Colorado
Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Re: Mangina offically hired

Unread postby Ziner » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:34 pm

Through my sources I am hearing Quinn and Thomas will be announcing it soon
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
User avatar
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy
 
Posts: 7063
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:04 pm
Location: Boulder, Colorado
Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Re: Mangina offically hired

Unread postby 216 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:55 pm

nfl network also just reported it. presser tommorow at 10am
nfl network said Pioli was not totally ruled out.
216
 
Posts: 367
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:32 pm

Re: Mangina offically hired

Unread postby Lebowski » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:02 pm

Yeah, hiring the coach before the GM worked well for us last time around...

What a clusterfuck.
- Lebowski
Lebowski
The Dude
 
Posts: 494
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:53 pm
Location: Youngstown, OH
Favorite Player: Z
Least Favorite Player: BE

Re: Mangina offically hired

Unread postby HoodooMan » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:07 pm

Yeah, hiring the coach before the GM worked well for us last time around...


And everyone was so against the process working that way when the HC in question was Cowher, weren't they?

I'm withholding judgment until we see what we're getting at GM.

If Randy can still swing Pioli, then it's the best of the GM/HC pairings that were available, IMO. (Though, IMO, the need to get a GM/HC pairing of BFFs is way overblown.)

If he can't, in 3 years we'll be doing this again with a different owner, because now that Randy's crossed "College Guy," "Coordinator," and "Retread" off his list, he won't have the first clue what to do.
Q: What is the best/craziest location you've ever gotten lucky A: Mens room. Death Valley. (Fire Marshall Bill, 08/13/10)

...doesn't mean we cannot call you a spade when you are one. (donnyunitas, 10/21/09)

Plus it's kinda personal for me... I have a lot of family and friends who are Ducks... (angrybeaver, 11/08/09)
User avatar
HoodooMan
The King
 
Posts: 1735
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:04 pm
Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Re: Mangina offically hired

Unread postby 4thQtrGlory » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:16 pm

Now that Mangini is coach, we all need to back him up until he proves us wrong! Welcome to Cleveland, please make us a winner!
User avatar
4thQtrGlory
 
Posts: 2186
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:49 pm
Location: Chardon
Favorite Player: Bernie
Least Favorite Player: NE Ohio Steeler Fan

Re: Mangina offically hired

Unread postby Lebowski » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:21 pm

And everyone was so against the process working that way when the HC in question was Cowher, weren't they?

I didnt want Cowher. Those who did, however, saw him as having total or close to total control...so the GM wouldnt really be a factor.

I'm withholding judgment until we see what we're getting at GM.

I'm trying...Kokinas and I blow my stack.

If Randy can still swing Pioli, then it's the best of the GM/HC pairings that were available, IMO. (Though, IMO, the need to get a GM/HC pairing of BFFs is way overblown.)

Well, yeah...I could also live with Heckert or Reese (why was he never interviewed?)....but I'm thinking we end up with the wiz kid scout part II.

he won't have the first clue what to do.

Dude, he DOESNT NOW. Unless trying to copy Kraft counts...which doesnt.

Any grown man who is afraid of holding a televised press conference shouldnt own a pro franchise.
- Lebowski
Lebowski
The Dude
 
Posts: 494
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:53 pm
Location: Youngstown, OH
Favorite Player: Z
Least Favorite Player: BE

Re: Mangina offically hired

Unread postby gotribe31 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:27 pm

I have managed to talk myself into Mangina. BB struggled with the press, butchered a situation with a popular veteran QB, went to the playoffs once and had some success and got fired. He turned out ok. Lets give "Manga!" a couple of years and see if he can do the same (remember BB was 3-13 in NE his first year...even lost to the Doug Peterson-led Brownies in 2000!).
You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should do for themselves
-----Abe Lincoln

Let me tell you, if any of you douchebag empty headed stuffed suit nanny politicians tries to fuck with my bacon, I’m going after you like a crazed chimpanzee on bath salts.
-----Lars
User avatar
gotribe31
 
Posts: 2494
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:38 pm
Location: Fairfax, VA
Favorite Player: Francisco Lindor
Least Favorite Player: Michigan

Re: Mangina offically hired

Unread postby WarAdmiral » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:39 pm

I'm on board. I just hope the GM who is hired, is trusted and respected by Mangini. I believe that will be the case, but until it is a done deal, I still have concerns about the ass backward way of setting this up. Bottom line, if the HC and GM trust each other, and work within the agreed power structure, it should work well in theory.
User avatar
WarAdmiral
 
Posts: 603
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:35 am
Location: Mantua, oh

Re: Mangina offically hired

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:43 pm

I'm tentative. If Mangini can create The Identity and comes with some brains at GM, I think I can deal with it.
User avatar
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist
 
Posts: 4656
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:06 am
Location: Parma, OH
Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Re: Mangina offically hired

Unread postby Mr. X » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:45 pm

Like it seems others are, I'm pretty meh on this decision. I'll have to stew on this one for a while.
User avatar
Mr. X
 
Posts: 778
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:49 pm
Favorite Player: Kipnis
Least Favorite Player: Papelbon

Re: Mangina offically hired

Unread postby jfiling » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:46 pm

jfiling
Old School Writer
 
Posts: 3875
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:14 pm
Location: Akron, Ohio
Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Re: Mangina offically hired

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:49 pm

Mangini to Jim Donovan: "I can win with Brady Quinn."
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
User avatar
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist
 
Posts: 4656
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:06 am
Location: Parma, OH
Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Re: Mangina offically hired

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:50 pm

Madre Hill, Superstar wrote:Mangini to Jim Donovan: "I can win with Brady Quinn."


Sounds like a great bumper sticker.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22795
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Mangina offically hired

Unread postby 4thQtrGlory » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:53 pm

Peeker643 wrote:
Madre Hill, Superstar wrote:Mangini to Jim Donovan: "I can win with Brady Quinn."


Sounds like a great bumper sticker.



Thats what i like to hear. Bye bye DA
User avatar
4thQtrGlory
 
Posts: 2186
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:49 pm
Location: Chardon
Favorite Player: Bernie
Least Favorite Player: NE Ohio Steeler Fan

Re: Mangina offically hired

Unread postby jfiling » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:54 pm

By the way, being 9-7 with your teams biggest free agent signing and first round draft pick both being busts is pretty damn respectable. I think Tannenbaum should have fired himself instead of Mangini, and definitely cannot see Mangini as damaged goods. This is the best coaching hire since Marty.
jfiling
Old School Writer
 
Posts: 3875
Joined: Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:14 pm
Location: Akron, Ohio
Favorite Player: Silky Johnston
Least Favorite Player: Buck Nasty

Re: Mangina offically hired

Unread postby OSU819903 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:54 pm

HoodooMan wrote:
Yeah, hiring the coach before the GM worked well for us last time around...


And everyone was so against the process working that way when the HC in question was Cowher, weren't they?

I'm withholding judgment until we see what we're getting at GM.

If Randy can still swing Pioli, then it's the best of the GM/HC pairings that were available, IMO. (Though, IMO, the need to get a GM/HC pairing of BFFs is way overblown.)

If he can't, in 3 years we'll be doing this again with a different owner, because now that Randy's crossed "College Guy," "Coordinator," and "Retread" off his list, he won't have the first clue what to do.


Randy didn't hire Butch. Savage and Rak were the first hirings he had made with the Browns. So really right now he is only 0-2 with decisions. Which is why I don't know why everyone has been riding him so hard. And quite honestly it makes no REAL difference that he won't get in front of the camera. I don't know why but I'm getting annoyed with every feeling the need to bring that up...he is private and maybe has a phobia of camera's....I don't blame the guy for protecting himself from embarrassment in these meetings if he says the wrong thing...or something the wrong way...or...nevermind
"Forever, tomorrow and a day"
User avatar
OSU819903
 
Posts: 454
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:27 pm
Location: Elyria, OH
Favorite Player: A-Cab
Least Favorite Player: Chad, the Altel Guy

Re: Mangina offically hired

Unread postby buckeye319 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:54 pm

I like the hiring of Mangina as head coach, but the unknown is what the hell is going to happen with the front office. It seems like they need a strong leader as GM or President, cause Lord knows Jammies won't be providing any leadership.
User avatar
buckeye319
 
Posts: 1121
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:26 am
Location: the Rockies
Favorite Player: LeBron James
Least Favorite Player: Stephen A. Smith

Re: Mangina offically hired

Unread postby HoodooMan » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:03 pm

Randy didn't hire Butch


I realize that, but Butch is supposedly the reason he's so deadset against another college coach.

He's approached the HC-hiring like a true Joe Fan.

"No college coaches, no coordinators, I need a guy with experience!"

We'll see.

Like I said above, I think this can work with Pioli/Mangini. If Kokinis is a Pioli-to-be, then maybe it can work with him too. But if we don't get a good GM out of this deal, Mangini won't last long.
Q: What is the best/craziest location you've ever gotten lucky A: Mens room. Death Valley. (Fire Marshall Bill, 08/13/10)

...doesn't mean we cannot call you a spade when you are one. (donnyunitas, 10/21/09)

Plus it's kinda personal for me... I have a lot of family and friends who are Ducks... (angrybeaver, 11/08/09)
User avatar
HoodooMan
The King
 
Posts: 1735
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:04 pm
Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Re: Mangina offically hired

Unread postby ProgRocker » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:04 pm

So far, so good. Mangini's going to have a chip on his shoulder put there because of the knife under it planted by Favre - that's always a good thing, IMHO.

But I do hope he gets a solid front office guy. KoKuklaFranandOllie is the last on the list with Heckert (and maybe Pioli?) on the list, but that'll wait.

And, for those who fret about whether this becomes a fustercluck next season, remember that Cowher and possibly Shanahan will be on the market for 2010 -- and I truly do think if Lerner doesn't like what he sees he'll pull the trigger again.

On to the GM!
Somehow ... Someway ... Give us JUST ONE VICTORY ... and we're on our way!
User avatar
ProgRocker
 
Posts: 1301
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:18 pm
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: Mangina offically hired

Unread postby ProgRocker » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:08 pm

OSU819903 wrote:Randy didn't hire Butch. Savage and Rak were the first hirings he had made with the Browns.


Actually, Lerner didn't hire both of these guys either. I'm pretty sure RAC was all Savage, or at least done on his insistence.
Somehow ... Someway ... Give us JUST ONE VICTORY ... and we're on our way!
User avatar
ProgRocker
 
Posts: 1301
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:18 pm
Location: Chicago, IL

Re: Mangina offically hired

Unread postby BDFD » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:11 pm

4thQtrGlory wrote:Now that Mangini is coach, we all need to back him up until he proves us wrong! Welcome to Cleveland, please make us a winner!

Well put. Make room for me on the bandwagon.

BTW - Wikipedia says it is a four year deal. I know.
User avatar
BDFD
 
Posts: 1227
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:06 pm
Location: Ohio's Fightin' 14th
Favorite Player: Nuke LaLoosh
Least Favorite Player: Duke Temple

Re: Mangina offically hired

Unread postby HoodooMan » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:12 pm

I didnt want Cowher. Those who did, however, saw him as having total or close to total control...so the GM wouldnt really be a factor.


Not much of a difference, IMO, when your GM is someone handpicked by the HC, regardless of who technically has control over the 53.

Mangini's going to wear the pants in that relationship.

(Unless it's Pioli)

I'm trying...Kokinas and I blow my stack.


I'm too grateful to not have Kirk Ferentz as my HC to blow my stack over anything. Sly guy, that Randy. Floating that kind of joke to get my expectations down.

Well, yeah...I could also live with Heckert or Reese (why was he never interviewed?)....but I'm thinking we end up with the wiz kid scout part II.


I think we'd be lucky to end up with Wiz Kid Scout Part II.

I wish we'd have interviewed Reese too.

(Unless it's Pioli)

I liked Heckert/Spagnuolo more than Kokinis/Mangini (on the strength of Spagnuolo alone--Heckert's draft record really blows) and Kokinis/Mangini more than Pioli/Ferentz (because Kirk is just that much of a bad idea), but Reece/Schwartz could have been up there with Heckert/Spagnuolo, maybe even better.

Dude, he DOESNT NOW.


Did it sound to you as though I thought his "not a college guy, not a coordinator" thought process was a good one? Of course he doesn't have a clue. He just doesn't know that yet.

Here's to hoping he gets lucky.
Last edited by HoodooMan on Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Q: What is the best/craziest location you've ever gotten lucky A: Mens room. Death Valley. (Fire Marshall Bill, 08/13/10)

...doesn't mean we cannot call you a spade when you are one. (donnyunitas, 10/21/09)

Plus it's kinda personal for me... I have a lot of family and friends who are Ducks... (angrybeaver, 11/08/09)
User avatar
HoodooMan
The King
 
Posts: 1735
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:04 pm
Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Re: Mangina offically hired

Unread postby dpdad » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:12 pm

Not my first choice, but I can live with Mangini. I'd take just about anyone over what we had in RAC. Now we need an experienced front office guy, maybe either Heckert or McKay.
dpdad
 
Posts: 781
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:42 am
Location: Independence, Ohio

Re: Mangina offically hired

Unread postby HoodooMan » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:17 pm

I'm pretty sure RAC was all Savage, or at least done on his insistence.


RAC was pushed on Savage by Randy & John Collins.
Q: What is the best/craziest location you've ever gotten lucky A: Mens room. Death Valley. (Fire Marshall Bill, 08/13/10)

...doesn't mean we cannot call you a spade when you are one. (donnyunitas, 10/21/09)

Plus it's kinda personal for me... I have a lot of family and friends who are Ducks... (angrybeaver, 11/08/09)
User avatar
HoodooMan
The King
 
Posts: 1735
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:04 pm
Favorite Player: Big_Lu
Least Favorite Player: Foldtop Sandwich Bag

Re: Mangina offically hired

Unread postby Erie Warrior » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:17 pm

I am totally apathetic. This is sad. Rarely am I this ambivalent about a major change. I got nothing.
This natural coozy comes free with every Miller Time
Image
User avatar
Erie Warrior
Goose Slayer
 
Posts: 6536
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:50 pm
Location: Hampton, VA
Favorite Player: 1995 Indians
Least Favorite Player: Global Warming

Re: Mangina offically hired

Unread postby 216 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:34 pm

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3817088

For the position of defensive coordinator, sources told Smith that Mangini will bring aboard Raiders defensive coordinator Rob Ryan whose contract with Oakland also is up. Also that Mangini and Crennel discussed the possibility of Crennel returning to work with Mangini but decided it best to both go in a different direction. AFC North blog

Mangini will hire Jets quarterbacks coach Brian Daboll, whose contract is expiring, as his offensive coordinator, league sources told Smith.


Cleveland Browns Defense ranked 26 overall gave up 21.9 ppg 350 total pts 356.5 yds per game

Oakland Raiders Defense ranked 27 overall gave up 24.2 ppg 388 total pts 360.9 yds per game

:hide:
Oakland the only team thats more Cleveland then Cleveland
216
 
Posts: 367
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:32 pm

Re: Mangina offically hired

Unread postby Lebowski » Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:47 pm

Here's to hoping he gets lucky.

That's about all we have at this point.

I'm actually not that down on Mangini...I just hate the process. Lerner zeroed in and seemingly made his mind up about this guy because he "blew him away" in the interview. That is eerily similar to RAC's interview, and Lerner "knowing he had his man".

Mangini may turn out to be great. BB II. The man that brings pride back to the Cleveland Browns. Who knows. Again, I'm not totally down on the hire, rather the way he was hired. And I do believe he was rail-roaded a bit with the ole Gunslinger.

Couple things that concern me about him tho:

1. No one else interviewed him. To my knowledge, no one else inquired. Was this because word spread of Randy's crush...or that he isnt that good of a HC candidate?

2. A lot of Jet players are going to the press to stick up for him. Is this good or bad? RAC was a players coach.

3. Reports of his lack of fire. I dont need Bobby Knight, and I know that shit doesnt work on pros making 10 mill per, but this team needs their collective asses kicked. We need to Change the Culture (part nine million it seems), and that was really the only thing that intrigued me about Cowher.
- Lebowski
Lebowski
The Dude
 
Posts: 494
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:53 pm
Location: Youngstown, OH
Favorite Player: Z
Least Favorite Player: BE

Re: Mangina offically hired

Unread postby Madre Hill, Superstar » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:06 pm

216 wrote:Oakland the only team thats more Cleveland then Cleveland


a.) Rob is Buddy's son. Maybe there's genetics at work.

b.) I refuse to hold performance against anyone working for the Raiders and the ghoul / corpse running the team.
"The fucking Who...... If I want to watch old people run around ill go set fire to a nursing home." - CDT
User avatar
Madre Hill, Superstar
Eternal Optimist
 
Posts: 4656
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:06 am
Location: Parma, OH
Favorite Player: The Playa
Least Favorite Player: The Game

Re: Mangina offically hired

Unread postby 4thQtrGlory » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:32 pm

For as many posts there were for the rumors, im really suprised there isnt much talk in here for a head coach, o coord, and d coord hiring all in one night. Im kinda scratching my head that the Carl Pavano forum is blowing this one out of the water.

:gah:
User avatar
4thQtrGlory
 
Posts: 2186
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:49 pm
Location: Chardon
Favorite Player: Bernie
Least Favorite Player: NE Ohio Steeler Fan

Re: Mangina offically hired

Unread postby Dozen » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:44 pm

4thQtrGlory wrote:For as many posts there were for the rumors, im really suprised there isnt much talk in here for a head coach, o coord, and d coord hiring all in one night. Im kinda scratching my head that the Carl Pavano forum is blowing this one out of the water.

:gah:



Jammies wanted an experienced NFL coach, he only interviewed 1 that had any.......................wasn't a leap so I think everyone already knew it was coming.

I dont have alot of info on the OC/DC to even make a honest opinion.
http://www.thesportshole.com

http://www.youtube.com/TheSportsHole


I have never seen so many kok heads all lumped together like that ~ Yhimmie
User avatar
Dozen
TheSportsHole.com
 
Posts: 2343
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:08 pm
Location: Willoughby, Ohio
Favorite Player: my son
Least Favorite Player: venomous/bipolar

Re: Mangina offically hired

Unread postby Earle » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:56 pm

Mangini is 1-0 vs steelers and that is 1000% better than RAC!
User avatar
Earle
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:05 pm
Favorite Player: kosar
Least Favorite Player: frye

Re: Mangina offically hired

Unread postby Jennifer » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:57 pm

From a highly reliable, objective source:

"I can say that Eric is intelligent, hard-working; a creative, driven guy," said . . ., adding that he is a Browns fan and believes Mangini can turn the franchise in the right direction.


http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.s ... rothe.html
I never learn anything if everyone always agrees with me.
Jennifer
 
Posts: 1885
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2006 7:15 pm

Re: Mangina offically hired

Unread postby BooyaCS » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:34 pm

For anyone that wants it here is the bio on Rob Ryan

http://www.raiders.com/Team/CoachBio.aspx?id=548

Daboll I don't know much about except he is canadian.
BooyaCS
 
Posts: 353
Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 7:54 pm

Re: Mangina offically hired

Unread postby Crash Davis » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:43 pm

Dozen wrote:
4thQtrGlory wrote:For as many posts there were for the rumors, im really suprised there isnt much talk in here for a head coach, o coord, and d coord hiring all in one night. Im kinda scratching my head that the Carl Pavano forum is blowing this one out of the water.

:gah:


I dont have alot of info on the OC/DC to even make a honest opinion.


Daboll was Brady's QB coach in NE, and Belicheck was pissed that Mangini stole him from NE. Belicheck had to end up changing a lot of offesive terminology after losing Daboll .... from what I've read Daboll would have gotten the OC job over McDaniel if he was still there.
"PREDICTION: R.I.P. Chief Wahoo"
User avatar
Crash Davis
 
Posts: 1856
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:54 pm
Favorite Player: Lawrence Vickers
Least Favorite Player: SteelerDramaQueenQB

Re: Mangina offically hired

Unread postby Ziner » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:47 pm

BooyaCS wrote:For anyone that wants it here is the bio on Rob Ryan

http://www.raiders.com/Team/CoachBio.aspx?id=548

Daboll I don't know much aboot except he is canadian.


Eh?
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
User avatar
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy
 
Posts: 7063
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:04 pm
Location: Boulder, Colorado
Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Re: Mangina offically hired

Unread postby pup » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:15 pm

Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
User avatar
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan
 
Posts: 12020
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:15 pm
Location: Eastlake, Ohio
Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Re: Mangina offically hired

Unread postby Dozen » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:16 pm

STO will carry the Browns press conference LIVE Thursday 1-8-09 at 9:30am with newly hired coach Eric Mangini. Bruce Drennan will have a 1-on-1 interview with Mangini following the press conference.
http://www.thesportshole.com

http://www.youtube.com/TheSportsHole


I have never seen so many kok heads all lumped together like that ~ Yhimmie
User avatar
Dozen
TheSportsHole.com
 
Posts: 2343
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:08 pm
Location: Willoughby, Ohio
Favorite Player: my son
Least Favorite Player: venomous/bipolar

Re: Mangina offically hired

Unread postby OSU819903 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:18 pm

Cannot believe how slow this thread is growing. As someone mentioned Pavano is blowing this thread away. I never thought I would see that; a thread about a washed up pitcher is beating one about a new Browns Coach. Still think it is a good move, get the GM_Pres or GM/Pres and I can let myself get psyched.
"Forever, tomorrow and a day"
User avatar
OSU819903
 
Posts: 454
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:27 pm
Location: Elyria, OH
Favorite Player: A-Cab
Least Favorite Player: Chad, the Altel Guy

Re: Mangina offically hired

Unread postby Ziner » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:22 pm

we and they dont know shit until september... but check out this line

He's a Romeo Crennel clone. Same philosophy, same personality, same waistline.

philosphy - perhaps
personality - Mangina is a dick (hehe) Romeo is a push over
waistline - Mangina is the first BB disiciple with out the front butt... sorry buddy 1 out of 3 aint bad.
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
User avatar
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy
 
Posts: 7063
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:04 pm
Location: Boulder, Colorado
Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Re: Mangina offically hired

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:26 pm



I have no idea if Mangini is going to be the answer or not, but this kind of shit is just lazy, baseless slop:

He wasn't successful in his three seasons with the New York Jets. Even his good buddy, general manager Mike Tannenbaum, sent him packing because he felt the team needed a change. Or at least he was forced to relieve him of his job and yet the Browns gave him a four-year deal to be their coach Wednesday.


By all accounts Tannenbaum and Woody wanted Favre. By all accounts Tannenbaum was responsible for stocking the cupboards. The NFL ain't no different than life; when the shit hits the fan it's about self-preservation and Tannenbaum certainly wasn't going to volunteer his mistakes were part of the Jets problems. How many GMs do admit they were at fault, at least partially? You want to talk about Mangini's issues then separate them from the GM's issues. But you'll have to admit that there were some GM issues first. Did Mangini suddenly get stupid in week 12 or was it that Tannenbaum's studs just carried the day through the first 11 weeks when they were 8-3?

Hell yes Tannenbaum thought there was a need for a change. He just wanted to make sure his ass wasn't a part of it.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22795
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Mangina offically hired

Unread postby Dozen » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:32 pm

OSU819903 wrote:Cannot believe how slow this thread is growing. As someone mentioned Pavano is blowing this thread away. I never thought I would see that; a thread about a washed up pitcher is beating one about a new Browns Coach. Still think it is a good move, get the GM_Pres or GM/Pres and I can let myself get psyched.



IMO, this site has more of an Indians feel with the STO affiliation. Thats not to say they dont cover the Browns well or anything like that. There is another site where there is more posts but be careful what you wish for...................it doesnt make it any better just because more are talking about it. Sometimes volume ='s dilution. ;-) ;) :wink:
http://www.thesportshole.com

http://www.youtube.com/TheSportsHole


I have never seen so many kok heads all lumped together like that ~ Yhimmie
User avatar
Dozen
TheSportsHole.com
 
Posts: 2343
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:08 pm
Location: Willoughby, Ohio
Favorite Player: my son
Least Favorite Player: venomous/bipolar

Re: Mangina offically hired

Unread postby Ziner » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:35 pm

Dozen wrote:
OSU819903 wrote:Cannot believe how slow this thread is growing. As someone mentioned Pavano is blowing this thread away. I never thought I would see that; a thread about a washed up pitcher is beating one about a new Browns Coach. Still think it is a good move, get the GM_Pres or GM/Pres and I can let myself get psyched.



IMO, this site has more of an Indians feel with the STO affiliation. Thats not to say they dont cover the Browns well or anything like that. There is another site where there is more posts but be careful what you wish for...................it doesnt make it any better just because more are talking about it. Sometimes volume ='s dilution. ;-) ;) :wink:


agreed on that other site, if we are speaking of the same one. I think people arent going nuts because there isnt much to say. By all accounts Mangina was going to get the job for the past few days, add up all those posts. Also we dont have a GM, OC, or DC give it time and it will explode, we already tore Mangina up and down and not much else to say... in the mean time :pop:
In the end, we're all "only for a limited time," you guys.
User avatar
Ziner
Tot-Lovin' Hippy
 
Posts: 7063
Joined: Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:04 pm
Location: Boulder, Colorado
Favorite Player: Tater Tots
Least Favorite Player: Yam Fries

Re: Mangina offically hired

Unread postby 4thQtrGlory » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:40 pm

Ziner wrote:
Dozen wrote:
OSU819903 wrote:Cannot believe how slow this thread is growing. As someone mentioned Pavano is blowing this thread away. I never thought I would see that; a thread about a washed up pitcher is beating one about a new Browns Coach. Still think it is a good move, get the GM_Pres or GM/Pres and I can let myself get psyched.



IMO, this site has more of an Indians feel with the STO affiliation. Thats not to say they dont cover the Browns well or anything like that. There is another site where there is more posts but be careful what you wish for...................it doesnt make it any better just because more are talking about it. Sometimes volume ='s dilution. ;-) ;) :wink:


agreed on that other site, if we are speaking of the same one. I think people arent going nuts because there isnt much to say. By all accounts Mangina was going to get the job for the past few days, add up all those posts. Also we dont have a GM, OC, or DC give it time and it will explode, we already tore Mangina up and down and not much else to say... in the mean time :pop:


If this is the same site im thinking about, their forums are a goddamn joke and a half. There are too many rules, suspensions for posting rumors(even with a link), and 14 yr old kids goofing around because they are bored. They might have 500 posts on tonights activities, BUT quantity is not important as quality. Makes me appreciate this site, these boards, and the guys i have mature and educated conversations with on a nightly basis.
User avatar
4thQtrGlory
 
Posts: 2186
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:49 pm
Location: Chardon
Favorite Player: Bernie
Least Favorite Player: NE Ohio Steeler Fan

Re: Mangina offically hired

Unread postby peeker643 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:43 pm

4thQtrGlory wrote:
Ziner wrote:
Dozen wrote:
OSU819903 wrote:Cannot believe how slow this thread is growing. As someone mentioned Pavano is blowing this thread away. I never thought I would see that; a thread about a washed up pitcher is beating one about a new Browns Coach. Still think it is a good move, get the GM_Pres or GM/Pres and I can let myself get psyched.



IMO, this site has more of an Indians feel with the STO affiliation. Thats not to say they dont cover the Browns well or anything like that. There is another site where there is more posts but be careful what you wish for...................it doesnt make it any better just because more are talking about it. Sometimes volume ='s dilution. ;-) ;) :wink:


agreed on that other site, if we are speaking of the same one. I think people arent going nuts because there isnt much to say. By all accounts Mangina was going to get the job for the past few days, add up all those posts. Also we dont have a GM, OC, or DC give it time and it will explode, we already tore Mangina up and down and not much else to say... in the mean time :pop:


If this is the same site im thinking about, their forums are a goddamn joke and a half. There are too many rules, suspensions for posting rumors(even with a link), and 14 yr old kids goofing around because they are bored. They might have 500 posts on tonights activities, BUT quantity is not important as quality. Makes me appreciate this site, these boards, and the guys i have mature and educated conversations with on a nightly basis.


With the exception of Pup of course.
"Great minds think alike. The opposite is also true."

"None of us is as dumb as all of us."


I'm on Twitter at http://twitter.com/peeker643
User avatar
peeker643
Duly Noted
 
Posts: 22795
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:33 pm
Favorite Player: Smokey Rowe
Least Favorite Player: Dingle Stetson

Re: Mangina offically hired

Unread postby Dozen » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:45 pm

Peeker643 wrote:
4thQtrGlory wrote:
Ziner wrote:
Dozen wrote:
OSU819903 wrote:Cannot believe how slow this thread is growing. As someone mentioned Pavano is blowing this thread away. I never thought I would see that; a thread about a washed up pitcher is beating one about a new Browns Coach. Still think it is a good move, get the GM_Pres or GM/Pres and I can let myself get psyched.



IMO, this site has more of an Indians feel with the STO affiliation. Thats not to say they dont cover the Browns well or anything like that. There is another site where there is more posts but be careful what you wish for...................it doesnt make it any better just because more are talking about it. Sometimes volume ='s dilution. ;-) ;) :wink:


agreed on that other site, if we are speaking of the same one. I think people arent going nuts because there isnt much to say. By all accounts Mangina was going to get the job for the past few days, add up all those posts. Also we dont have a GM, OC, or DC give it time and it will explode, we already tore Mangina up and down and not much else to say... in the mean time :pop:


If this is the same site im thinking about, their forums are a goddamn joke and a half. There are too many rules, suspensions for posting rumors(even with a link), and 14 yr old kids goofing around because they are bored. They might have 500 posts on tonights activities, BUT quantity is not important as quality. Makes me appreciate this site, these boards, and the guys i have mature and educated conversations with on a nightly basis.


With the exception of Pup of course.


Thats because he's posting wearing a Joe Thomas nightgown (jk) :dingle:
http://www.thesportshole.com

http://www.youtube.com/TheSportsHole


I have never seen so many kok heads all lumped together like that ~ Yhimmie
User avatar
Dozen
TheSportsHole.com
 
Posts: 2343
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:08 pm
Location: Willoughby, Ohio
Favorite Player: my son
Least Favorite Player: venomous/bipolar

Re: Mangina offically hired

Unread postby mattvan1 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:51 pm

Lebowski wrote:Here's to hoping he gets lucky.

That's about all we have at this point.

I'm actually not that down on Mangini...I just hate the process. Lerner zeroed in and seemingly made his mind up about this guy because he "blew him away" in the interview. That is eerily similar to RAC's interview, and Lerner "knowing he had his man".

Mangini may turn out to be great. BB II. The man that brings pride back to the Cleveland Browns. Who knows. Again, I'm not totally down on the hire, rather the way he was hired. And I do believe he was rail-roaded a bit with the ole Gunslinger.

Couple things that concern me about him tho:

1. No one else interviewed him. To my knowledge, no one else inquired. Was this because word spread of Randy's crush...or that he isnt that good of a HC candidate?

2. A lot of Jet players are going to the press to stick up for him. Is this good or bad? RAC was a players coach.

3. Reports of his lack of fire. I dont need Bobby Knight, and I know that shit doesnt work on pros making 10 mill per, but this team needs their collective asses kicked. We need to Change the Culture (part nine million it seems), and that was really the only thing that intrigued me about Cowher.


Mods - Can we pin this post for the next 2 seasons or so? Dead. Solid. Perfect.
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
User avatar
mattvan1
 
Posts: 3720
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:41 pm
Location: Houston

Next

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 181 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:50 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest