Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Projecting Orokpo to 3 - 4 OLB

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Re: Projecting Orokpo to 3 - 4 OLB

Unread postby Bob Fergus » Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:24 pm

Orakpo is a pass rusher.

I think our top weaknees/priority is pass rush.

I think with a top five pick in this draft that we can get the top pass rusher in this draft pool and from what I've seen its Orakpo.

IF he projects as an OLB/DE then I wouldn't hesitate taking him with our top pick.

Our starting D-Linemen are all over three bills and more like 320. We have maybe Alex Smith and Whimbley but I don't think either are full-time 43 starting DEs.

We already play a large percentage of 43 base in our package but I believe many are thinking of going to a G-men or a Tampa pressure 43 defense where the bulk of the pass rush comes from the defensive ends.

Its pretty early in the running but I like Orakpo IF (bold underscore and highlight in flourescent colors - 'IF' ) he projects as an OLB/DE.

If we get Mangini then we're running the Pat-cover style 34 not a pressure 43 that the Cowboys run or a hybrid that Baltimore and the Pats just switched to. I really like Orakpo. My POV is that pass rush is our greatest defensive weakness. Demarcus Ware had more sacks than our entire defense last year. The two Pittsburgh linebackers lapped us even worse. FWIW I don't dislike Rey or any of the top players at this time but its early. I'm sold that Orakpo is a pass rusher that we'd get production from as a rookie.

Two areas where production can come immediately from rookies is RB and pass rushers since running the ball and rushing the QB is based more on instincts and natural ability.

Dream scenario is landing Orakpo in the draft and signing free agent T-Suggs. Then we move up with B-More and Pitt in terms of pass rush intensity and QBs would fear us.

Mangini runs the 34. I think he fits our current defensive personnel. He'd be my top choice as DC with Shanny running the show on offense with Pioli as GM but it looks like Scott will land with KC. I'm not sure what we do at GM but I consider that highest priority. I'd like the GM in place so that he gets to sign off on the HC. I don't like Randyjams getting smooshed in the interview process without a qualified GM at his side.

What do we have now? Six teams without a HC? No movement? It seems that everyone is waiting for something/someone? to become free in the interview process. I still have hope we make a run at Shanahan.
Bob Fergus

Favorite Player: Greg Pruit
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby Bob Fergus » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:43 pm

Bob Fergus wrote:Orakpo is a pass rusher.

I think our top weaknees/priority is pass rush.

I think with a top five pick in this draft that we can get the top pass rusher in this draft pool and from what I've seen its Orakpo.

IF he projects as an OLB/DE then I wouldn't hesitate taking him with our top pick.

Our starting D-Linemen are all over three bills and more like 320. We have maybe Alex Smith and Whimbley but I don't think either are full-time 43 starting DEs.

We already play a large percentage of 43 base in our package but I believe many are thinking of going to a G-men or a Tampa pressure 43 defense where the bulk of the pass rush comes from the defensive ends.

Its pretty early in the running but I like Orakpo IF (bold underscore and highlight in flourescent colors - 'IF' ) he projects as an OLB/DE.

If we get Mangini then we're running the Pat-cover style 34 not a pressure 43 that the Cowboys run or a hybrid that Baltimore and the Pats just switched to. I really like Orakpo. My POV is that pass rush is our greatest defensive weakness. Demarcus Ware had more sacks than our entire defense last year. The two Pittsburgh linebackers lapped us even worse. FWIW I don't dislike Rey or any of the top players at this time but its early. I'm sold that Orakpo is a pass rusher that we'd get production from as a rookie.

Two areas where production can come immediately from rookies is RB and pass rushers since running the ball and rushing the QB is based more on instincts and natural ability.

Dream scenario is landing Orakpo in the draft and signing free agent T-Suggs. Then we move up with B-More and Pitt in terms of pass rush intensity and QBs would fear us.

Mangini runs the 34. I think he fits our current defensive personnel. He'd be my top choice as DC with Shanny running the show on offense with Pioli as GM but it looks like Scott will land with KC. I'm not sure what we do at GM but I consider that highest priority. I'd like the GM in place so that he gets to sign off on the HC. I don't like Randyjams getting smooshed in the interview process without a qualified GM at his side.

What do we have now? Six teams without a HC? No movement? It seems that everyone is waiting for something/someone? to become free in the interview process. I still have hope we make a run at Shanahan.

Mayock's rankings at all positions, just came out a few days ago.

He lists Orackpo as the top DE but makes a special note that he can play OLB in the 3-4.

Go to the link for his top rankings of all positions.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d ... nfirm=true
... Defensive ends
Rk Player School
1 Brian Orakpo (can play OLB in 3-4) Texas
Bob Fergus

Favorite Player: Greg Pruit

Unread postby Guest » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:16 pm

I hate projecting college DE's to NFL 3-4 OLB's. I hate projecting any college player to the NFL at a new position.

It doesn't mean that he might not be good. It just makes me uncomfortable.

Unread postby jb » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:36 am

Hiko wrote:I hate projecting college DE's to NFL 3-4 OLB's. I hate projecting any college player to the NFL at a new position.

Why? Fergus just told you he could. Deal.

Seriously, it is as Hoodoobowow wrote. That's the only was you get a 3 - 4 DE . No one plays the 5 - 2 Okie anymore and few play the 3 - 4 in big time college. You pretty much HAVE to project. Sometimes you get Gholston and Wimbly, other times Ware & Woodley.

Just maybe its the evaluators and not evaluatees?
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h

Unread postby ilasch » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:24 am

JB wrote:
Hiko wrote:I hate projecting college DE's to NFL 3-4 OLB's. I hate projecting any college player to the NFL at a new position.

Seriously, it is as Hoodoobowow wrote. That's the only was you get a 3 - 4 DE . No one plays the 5 - 2 Okie anymore and few play the 3 - 4 in big time college. You pretty much HAVE to project. Sometimes you get Gholston and Wimbly, other times Ware & Woodley.

Then again, you could just wait until the second round and get a guy who's excelled at OLB in the 3-4 like Clint Sintim. Or a guy like Clay Matthews III, whose responsibilities have been almost identical, even if they technically play a four-man front at USC.

There are ways to get DEs, too. Get a guy who's played the two-gap technique at DT in college. His responsibilities will be mostly the same.

You don't have to just draft an undersized DE who someone said they thought could make the switch, or pick a DT and hope.

To me, Orakpo doesn't have the instincts to play OLB in the 3-4, and you wont be able to teach him patience. I'd much rather wait for a pass rusher until round 2.
ilasch

Unread postby bw » Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:28 pm

Julius Peppers announced he wants to play in a 3-4 Defense. It's not clear whether he wants to play DE or OLB, however.

Carolina will, of course, use the franchise tag on him. Then trade him for a bundle. He is a fantastic player and would fit on ANY team. The question is, "At what price?"

I doubt we can pull it off. Carolina is so close to a Super Bowl, it makes no sense to me why Peppers would want to leave unless it's about the money. Maybe. Probably.

Any rumors?
bw

Unread postby Guest » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:04 pm

JB wrote:

I know this to be true.

Still, at number 5, I hate the idea of taking a stab in the dark.

Unread postby Crash Davis » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:11 pm

bw wrote:Julius Peppers announced he wants to play in a 3-4 Defense. It's not clear whether he wants to play DE or OLB, however.

Carolina will, of course, use the franchise tag on him. Then trade him for a bundle. He is a fantastic player and would fit on ANY team. The question is, "At what price?"

I doubt we can pull it off. Carolina is so close to a Super Bowl, it makes no sense to me why Peppers would want to leave unless it's about the money. Maybe. Probably.

Any rumors?

Peppers would have to be an OLB in a 3-4 or he'd a very expensive and overpriced situational pass rusher. No other spot for him in the 3-4. I am not sure we have what it takes to get him but I know it would cost a lot. He is 6'8 so not sure if it would even work.
"PREDICTION: R.I.P. Chief Wahoo"
Crash Davis

Favorite Player: Lawrence Vickers
Least Favorite Player: SteelerDramaQueenQB

Unread postby jb » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:55 pm

Crash Davis wrote:
bw wrote:Julius Peppers announced he wants to play in a 3-4 Defense. It's not clear whether he wants to play DE or OLB, however.

Any rumors?

Peppers would have to be an OLB in a 3-4 or he'd a very expensive and overpriced situational pass rusher. No other spot for him in the 3-4. I am not sure we have what it takes to get him but I know it would cost a lot. He is 6'8 so not sure if it would even work.

Yep. Not a pass rushing DE born wants to transform into a 2 gap block gobbler.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h

Previous

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL