Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Browns to interview Ravens' Kokinis for GM

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Re: Browns to interview Ravens' Kokinis for GM

Unread postby leadpipe » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:45 pm

Madre Hill, Superstar wrote:
Lead Pipe wrote:Kokinis, who is nowhere close to getting a GM job but here, is going to go with whatever Mangini wishes, and I don't think you need the details on why this is a huge problem.

Wait. Kokinis (or another GM to be named later) answers to Mangini? Really? Everything I'm reading says that Lerner wants his GM and coach to be able to work well together. He hasn't said that he wants the GM to be the coach's water boy.

This goes back to my original question: Look at Cowher 'n Colbert and Pioli 'n Mumbles. These aren't top-down or down-up organizations, from where I'm sitting they look like partnerships. I don't think it was any coincidence that those were the first two guys that Lerner talked to - or that he got skittish when Pioli demanded all the power.

You're right in that the coach has the win first mentality, but that's why Lerner's going to a guy like Kokinis or Sundquist upstairs. They're not the scouting whiz, I imagine that's McCreight's job to lose at this point. Instead, they're guy at the top who goes 'Whoa there,' the Savage without the attitude.

Partnerships with objective outlooks from both parties. This is getting closer to one of my main points, that is, Kokinis isn't close to being a GM anywhere in the league unless Mangini brings him in. Now, I'm not going to call him a water boy, as you suggest, but I certainly have reason to believe that Mangini calls the shots, and the guy who knows what side of his bread is buttered is going to allow Mangini to call those shots.

And of course Lerner wants them to be able to work together, especially with what he just went thru with RAC and Savage, but allowing a head coach to bring in his own man is not the way to achieve that cohesiveness.

Lastly, I'm not advocating bringing a commandant in as GM. If Pioli demanded the world, Lerner was correct in telling him to go pound salt. I'm simply stating that you are losing a real key facet of professional football when you have a GM who is not going to push his weight around at certain times and provide an objective view of the organization as a whole and convey that to the head coach.

Again, it's Merry Christmas time for Kokinis. The other GM's that the Browns considered have other options now or in the future as NFL GM's. This job has fallen from the sky to Kokinis. He'll go into that interview laughing at jokes and chewing his food with his mouth closed hopin' he doesn't screw anything up before he signs on the dotted line.
leadpipe
The Reverend

Unread postby pup » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:53 pm

ramllov wrote:I guess the interview is happening now as we write about it.

I believe the interview is happening in New York, but I hope it is being conducted in Cleveland. If Kokinis is the guy, I want him to see as much of the Cleveland operation as possible to help him make his decision.

Nope. Still blocked. No interview until next week at the earliest.
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby Chris » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:58 pm

At this rate we'll have an (unproven, unsure of) GM about a month prior to the draft. :thumbdown:
Chris

Unread postby 4thQtrGlory » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:53 am

not really news, but here's an update.....

SECOND INTERVIEW COMING FOR KOKINIS
Posted by Mike Florio on January 12, 2009, 11:29 p.m. EST
The Cleveland Plain Dealer reports that the interview of Ravens director of pro personnel George Kokinis for the vacant G.M. position with the Browns went well.

We’ve heard that it went so well that Kokinis will be interviewed again.

The first interview took place in New York; the next interview likely would occur next week in Cleveland.

As the Plain Dealer points out, the Browns can’t hire Kokinis until the Ravens’ season is over, which will be either January 18 or February 1.

(Cue the Steelers fans who will say that it’ll be January 18. And cue the Ravens fans who will say that it’ll be February 1.)

We’re also hearing that another candidate could be former Jags V.P. of player personnel James “Shack” Harris. Recently, owner Randy Lerner named former Texans and Redskins G.M. Charley Casserly and Patriots director of player personnel Nick Caserio as possible candidates for the job.
4thQtrGlory

Favorite Player: Bernie
Least Favorite Player: NE Ohio Steeler Fan

Unread postby scotty dawg » Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:37 am

T.J mcreight's name keeps popping up too.at this point I don't know if doing ANYTHING in house would be good.......
scotty dawg

Favorite Player: phil dawson
Least Favorite Player: none!

Unread postby jb » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:38 am

4thQtrGlory wrote:not really news, but here's an update.....

SECOND INTERVIEW COMING FOR KOKINIS
Posted by Mike Florio on January 12, 2009, 11:29 p.m. EST
The Cleveland Plain Dealer reports that the interview of Ravens director of pro personnel George Kokinis for the vacant G.M. position with the Browns went well.

We’ve heard that it went so well that Kokinis will be interviewed again.

The first interview took place in New York; the next interview likely would occur next week in Cleveland.

As the Plain Dealer points out, the Browns can’t hire Kokinis until the Ravens’ season is over, which will be either January 18 or February 1.

(Cue the Steelers fans who will say that it’ll be January 18. And cue the Ravens fans who will say that it’ll be February 1.)

We’re also hearing that another candidate could be former Jags V.P. of player personnel James “Shack” Harris. Recently, owner Randy Lerner named former Texans and Redskins G.M. Charley Casserly and Patriots director of player personnel Nick Caserio as possible candidates for the job.

No way we hire Shack.

Competenace and a winning record need not apply.
jb

Favorite Player: Daddy Rich / Carwa$h
Least Favorite Player: Hines Ward

Unread postby BDFD » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:30 pm

4thQtrGlory wrote:As the Plain Dealer points out, the Browns can’t hire Kokinis until the Ravens’ season is over, which will be either January 18 or February 1.

And cue the Browns' fans to tell Steelers and Ravens fans to go pound salt.

I think this is just about a done deal. The 'Me and my family really like it in Baltomire' rumor that was going around last week about Kokinis is code for 'Back up the Brinks, you are not getting me on the cheap just becasue I am inexperienced and you clearly need me more than I need you.'
BDFD

Favorite Player: Nuke LaLoosh
Least Favorite Player: Duke Temple

Unread postby pup » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:12 pm

Hey JB:

WKYC Cleveland reports that the Browns will interview James "Shack" Harris for their GM vacancy.
Owner Randy Lerner appears to be getting antsy while waiting for George Kokonis. Harris resigned as Jaguars Vice President of Player Personnel after last season.

Maybe the Rats playoff success will work out for us?
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby mattvan1 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:53 pm

JB wrote:No way we hire Shack.

Competenace and a winning record need not apply.

Cue B-52's. Warning - you must have the melody in your head as you read the following:

The Love Shack is a little old place
where we can get together
Love Shack baby, Love Shack bay-bee.
Love baby, that's where it's at,
Ooo love baby, that's where it's at
I don't need to be patient, they're going to be shit forever.
- CDT, discussing my favorite NFL team
mattvan1

Previous

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL