Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Morbid Curiosity

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Morbid Curiosity

Unread postby furls » Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:01 am

Just for kicks, let's predict the remainder of the Brown's schedule and then predict who will be fired at the end of the year:

13 Sun, Dec 3 Kansas City Ugly Loss
14 Thu, Dec 7 at Pittsburgh Loss
15 Sun, Dec 17 at Baltimore Ugly Loss
16 Sun, Dec 24 Tampa Bay Win
17 Sun, Dec 31 at Houston Loss

This has the Browns finishing the season 4-12. Crennel losses his job, but Savage keeps his by the slimmest of margins. It is very obvious to me that regardless of whether or not it is fair, Crennel is done. He has 0 control of this team and their really is no optimism for the future as things stand. I think that if the Browns were a competitive, cohesive, and consistent team that went 4-12 he would keep his job, but I think that those are the last three adjectives I would use to describe them.

The more I think about it, the more I think that Savage may be more culpable in all of this than Crennel. I am not an insider, but from what I have heard and read through various news outlets, Crennel had Frye force fed to him (with no veteran back up) by Savage and that Savage has given Crennel very little say in the personnel that he has brought in and let go. It is very clear that there are gaping holes on this team and ultimately, it is Savage's job to fill them.

The Cleveland Browns enter will 2007 starting their fourth rebuilding effort in their eighth year with their fifth head coach.
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby The Score » Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:30 am

You really heard that Frye was force fed on Crennel by Savage?

I always thought that Dilfer was Savage's guy and Crennel made his choice by sticking with Carthon after the season was over.

Win
Loss
Loss
Win
Win

Everybody is back for one more year. Maybe some minor offensive retooling to replace the loss of Carthon (numbers wise).
The Score

Unread postby swerb » Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:24 am

LOSS
LOSS
LOSS
WIN
LOSS

I think there's a real good chance that Romeo gets axed Monday if the Browns fail to show up again at home this week against KC.

If that were to happen, I would expect the Browns to give Grantham the last four games, and tell him they will consider him at seasons end for the head post, even there I don't see any chance of them actually giving it to him. Under the scenario, the Browns would also likely tell Grantham that at the least, they want him back as DC with a very nice pay raise next year.

Romeo needs to go. He's starting to get that glazed over look in press conferences. The same look Butch had at the end. Monday's press conference was the most ridiculous load of horse shit I've ever seen in my life. He's a dead man walking, and I'd be very surprised if he's back next year. However, if the Browns win 3 of the last 5 as The Score predicts ... he's likely back. I just don't see that happening.

Savage ... I would stick with him. There is surely some blame to be assigned to Phil, but I still feel relatively confident in his ability to identify talent. But the team clearly needs someone in a "President" (spokesman) type role. Neither Randy or Phil are comfortable talking to the media, and this fan base needs that right now in the same way a suicidal high atop a bridge needs someone to talk them through this mess.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby gdbenz » Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:01 am

When the Browns suffered a beat down last Christmas Eve against Pittsburgh, they rebounded to beat Baltimore. When those two games are considered in context, it looked like the Browns were simply young and learning and that the coaching staff could still keep them interested enough in playing somewhat inspired ball. I think that's why there was a bit more enthusiasm about this year, coupled, of course with a decent draft and some free agent signings. Given how the Browns have performed this year, however, that initial context is now lost. Instead the Browns look like a team that, at best, has remained static. But even if that's true, then in reality they've regressed.

This week's game, I think, is key to whether Crennel survives. My view, clearly stated, is that he must go. But I understand how Savage and Lerner and folks of their ilk generally work. They try not to let emotion guide their business decisions. They at least try to consider the bigger picture. Thus, if the Browns show some measure of respectability this week, Savage and Lerner are likely to continue to give Crennel a reprieve and find other reasons, like injuries, to explain what really happened. All of this is unfortunate because the "bigger picture" is that in a leagure where results matter, the Browns again fall woefully short.

As for their hiring of a president, I do expect that to happen, but not ncessarily for the reasons being suggested. In fact, my sources tell me that this is under active consideration by Lerner. He likes Savage and wants to give him the freedom to do his job in a way that makes sense to Savage, which means on the road and away from the press. Lerner wants a presence, a head person, to coordinate all aspects of the team. that person doesn't necessarily need to be the public face of the team but has to be someone who can run a business like a business. I do expect such a hire to take place and whoever it is, Savage will be insulated so as to avoid a repeat of the clash with John Collins.
gdbenz

Unread postby Birdman » Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:03 pm

Loss
Win
Loss
Win
Win

The Browns end the year somewhat strong so we are forced to sit through another year with Romeo at the helm. I would like to believe that the OL/DL will be addressed in the draft but Savage decides to go with some more "skill" players. Only problem is none of them have any skills.

Romeo is the worst of all the coaches since the new era began. My biggest problem with him is that he shows zero emotion. I would love to see RC get the ax and Grantham putting some life in this team for the last 4 weeks. The Browns need someone who will get in the face of the players.
Birdman
bullseyetcnaz.com

Unread postby Naxos » Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:00 pm

Because this is what I hope:

Loss - Romeo is gone replaced by Grantham.
Win - new coach, new attitude
Win
Win
Win - We are on a roll, the vets and rooks are reenergized. Looking forward to next year and the playoffs.

Remember this is what I hope :)
Naxos

Favorite Player: Brian Sipe
Least Favorite Player: DA

Unread postby dpdad » Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:37 pm

Tony Grossi from the Plain Dealer reported on his podcast today that after last weeks loss to the Bengals, the Browns received several cancellations on stadium suites. He also says the Romeo has to win at least three out of five to keep his job. Does anyone realistically think this will happen? Ha!

This is in addition to stadium suites that are currently unsold. Looks like the business community is making their lack of confidence in the Browns organization plain to see. In the end, that may be what it takes to get Randy Lerner's attention.
dpdad

Unread postby Guest » Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:41 pm

I honestly don't care anymore!

Unread postby Big Lu » Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:04 pm

I honestly don't care anymore!

Ditto! :lol:
Big Lu

Unread postby gdbenz » Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:15 pm

Tony Grossi from the Plain Dealer reported on his podcast today that after last weeks loss to the Bengals, the Browns received several cancellations on stadium suites. ...This is in addition to stadium suites that are currently unsold. Looks like the business community is making their lack of confidence in the Browns organization plain to see. In the end, that may be what it takes to get Randy Lerner's attention.

No question, this, more than anything, will get Lerner's attention. But keep in mind that there is turnover every year with respect to suites. It's the nature of the business. My guess is that the timing of the cancellations were more likely related to a renewal deadline than the loss to Cincinnati.

The economics of todays professional sports mandate significant business community support. In turn, the business community demands an overall positive experience in which to entertain friends/clients. Victories need not be guaranteed, of course, but a consistently competitive team is critical to delivering the promised value of renting a suite. The product being delivered by the Browns continues to fall short while the Browns (like virtually every other team) continues to raise the cost of those suites. (Even if ticket prices remain the same, the rent on the suite typically increases along with food prices and the requirements placed on the suite holders--such as mandatory parking passes, tickets to other events, etc.)
gdbenz

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL