Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Available QBs in 2007?

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Available QBs in 2007?

Unread postby Guest » Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:50 pm

An offshoot of the JT as HC thread...it seems to be a concensus that it would not be the best idea in the world to draft Troy (or Quinn, for that matter).

So who is available...either in free agency or possible trades?

My list...in order of what I think is potential.

1. Damon Huard. The Chefs will want him back, but this is his chance to get some bucks from a team that can promise him a chance at the starter's job.

2. Brian Griese. If Da Bears are stupid enough to stick with Grossman, they're stupid enough to allow Griese to walk.

3. Byron Leftwich. Not with the Browns current O-Line, but if they can get LeChuck back to 100%, Thomas, or someone else that can step right in, and a good OG in free agency...this could be a great fit.

4. Chris Simms. Big arm, and I think he can be a great QB in this league. Chucky is going to regret letting him go.

5. Jake Plummer. Yeah, he's not great this year...but look at what he did last year.

6. Dante Culpepper. Assuming Harrington works out, the Phins will be dumping him. Same issue as Leftwich regarding needing a much better O-Line.

7. Mark Brunnell, Drew Bledsoe, Kurt Warner. Doubtful on all...but if they decide to keep up the hope that Charlie is the guy, one of these might be willing to come over knowing they have a chance to win the job at some point.

Unread postby furls » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:06 pm

I don't like any of them, nor am I a fan of Frye or drafting another QB. I really dont know what they should do, but I guess they should bring in another warm body, hopefully the can bring in his OC to cut down on QB transition time.
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby swerb » Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:08 pm

Good list Mitch.

I heard Chris Mortensen on ESPN report tonight that the Buccaneers JUST offered Chris Simms a contract offer, busted spleen and all. Mort speculated that Simms and Tampa would eventually come to an agreement.

At least at this point, one would have to speculate that the top three available veteran QBs will be Damon Huard, Byron Leftwich, and Jake Plummer. All intrigue me to a certain respect, and all for different reasons.

I am of the camp that says sign or trade for a vet QB. I just don't have the stomach to do it all over with another young QB after the Couch, Holcomb, and Frye debacles. I need to think through who I'd prefer to see here a little more though.

Remember also, with no backup of any worth behind Frye, the chances are decent that the Browns will draft AND sign a FA QB next year to supplement Frye.

Should be interesting ...
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:39 am

Jake Plummer
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Unread postby pup » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:42 am

Jake Plummer
= David Dellucci
Home Run Leaders as RHB 5/7/13

Mark Reynolds (10)
pup
Closet Shapiro Fan

Favorite Player: Vince Shubrownicek
Least Favorite Player: Any other coach

Unread postby Guest » Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:46 pm

Jake the Joke?
No thanks
Isn't this the same guy wanting D Miles back????

Unread postby The Score » Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:51 pm

Plummer has too high of a cap number. He won't be cut until after June 1st.

That's not enough time to bring in a starter. He'll probably end up in Oakland.
The Score

Unread postby British_Pharaoh » Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:58 am

Jake the Joke?
No thanks
Isn't this the same guy wanting D Miles back????

Darius Miles = Championship

just ask portland

oh wait
"There is but one thing of real value: to cultivate truth and justice and to live without anger in the midst of lying and unjust men"

-Marcus Aurelius
British_Pharaoh
Tony Sipp IS HERE!

Favorite Player: Michael Brantley
Least Favorite Player: Alexei Ramirez

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL