Text Size

Cleveland Browns & The NFL

Grantham and Mel Tucker Deserve Alot Of Credit

Talk Browns football and discuss the NFL here.

Moderators: peeker643, jb, swerb, pup

Grantham and Mel Tucker Deserve Alot Of Credit

Unread postby swerb » Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:17 pm

This defense has played very well. Todd Grantham is a rising star in the coaching world, and IMO ... Michigan State would be very smart to hire this guy. I really hope they don't though. If it's not MSU this year, it will be somewhere else this off-season or next though.

And Mel Tucker. The job he has done with this secondary has been downright amazing. Top three corners in Baxter, Cutch, Bodden have all been gone pretty much all year. Has done a great job developing Sean Jones (Pro Bowler) and Brodney Pool, who had another big pick today ... and I like long term as a CB. Holly, Perry, and Brown at CB? Are you kidding me?

The three rookie linebackers continue to make plays as well. Wimbley is a star in the making, D'Qwell has been solid, and Leon Williams had a big game today. Andra Davis, who gets no credit nationally and is still bashed by alot of fans ... can play ILB any day for me. Willie McGinest should be picking up his paychecks wearing a ski mask.

Assuming Grantham leaves, I make Mel Tucker the D coordinator - before someone else does. He was up for a couple of head coaching jobs IIRC when the Browns hired him away from Tressel.

And for the first time, well ... ever ... the Browns have a nice young core of defenders to build on.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Unread postby furls » Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:24 pm

I think MSU is better off with Marinucci, but I agree that the Brown's defense has been very good this year. The offense seems to be making a lot more sense without m0 C4rTh0n. THey aren't blowing anyone away, but they seem to have more continuity.
furls
Buckeye Insider

Favorite Player: Chic Harley
Least Favorite Player: Desmond Howard

Unread postby yogi » Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:17 pm

I think the guys are doing a good job too, but don't forget this is RAC's defense.

He's the one that has set schemes up in the past for the Ralph Browns of the world to succeed once in a while.

I don't know why he isn't given the credit he deserves for this D's success?
yogi
Jersey Accent

Unread postby swerb » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:04 am

Yogi, that's a good point. I should have included Romeo in my praise. The "being able to win with no names in the secondary" defense was made famous by Romeo in NE.

On an aside, I do find myself skipping right past the head coach, and assigning blame to the respective coordinators more and more in todays NFL. At least to me, it seems as if head coaching in the NFL has become more and more of a macromanagement effort over the years.
swerb
JoBu's bee-yotch

Favorite Player: Mango Hab
Least Favorite Player: Bob LaMonte

Return to Cleveland Browns & The NFL